Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The individual operating the kiosk is paying rates on their other business on Forster St. but not the kiosk.
    Do they have any links to anyone in the Council executive? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, not on the kiosk in question as it is not a rateable building because it's owned by the City.

The individual operating the kiosk is paying rates on their other business on Forster St. but not the kiosk.

It is better to see it in use rather than being idle, but the fact it was handed out without any tender process & rate free is being seen as unfair by some.

Mmmm.

From the name, I guess it's the same business which had the concession at Salthill last year, which appears to be operated by someone else this year.

I wonder what happened there.

Mr OBumble did make an observation about not seeing a planning notice for change of use on the kiosk, and also whether it really meets all handwashing etc requirements for food-service business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mmmm.

From the name, I guess it's the same business which had the concession at Salthill last year, which appears to be operated by someone else this year.

I wonder what happened there.

I
    Mr OBumble did make an observation about not seeing a planning notice for change of use on the kiosk, and also whether it really meets all handwashing etc requirements for food-service business.
    There are bathroom and kitchen facilities in the kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Juran

Chi Westside closed months ago, I hear the chi in town is now also closed. Pity, it was our fav place for take away.
    Anyone know if they plan to reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Park House Hotel seems to have expanded into the premises next door.
    My eyesight isn't the best but there were PH menus in the windows and a smallish sign over the door earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Park House Hotel seems to have expanded into the premises next door.
    My eyesight isn't the best but there were PH menus in the windows and a smallish sign over the door earlier.

Are they actually occupying it? They bought it a while ago and I thought the plan was to integrate it (internal and external) to the existing hotel but didn't realise they had actually started working on / in it. They will need to do something with the exterior (other than the coat of paint) for blend in with the existing premises

Druid lane restaurant is gone. Sign on the building now says Quay Noodles. Not open yet, though.

Park House have been doing work on that next door building for several months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Juran wrote: »
    Chi Westside closed months ago, I hear the chi in town is now also closed. Pity, it was our fav place for take away.

Both Chi premises closed in January according to post no. 1881 on this thread:
    Chi Bistro on Middle Street and the Takeaway in Westside are closing down. Da Tang Noodles House are going back into the Middle St restaurant, with the original (Noodle House) chef returning - according to their Facebook page.

"Dear CHI Friends, Customers, this will be the final post as CHI.... CHI Bistro/Takeaway adventure has come to the end of the road.......It's been a wonderful experience & thank you to all of you who have supported us over the last number of years.....The Takeaway in Westside as from today will no longer operate and the Middle St Restaurant will return to being The Noodle House again serving Fresh Noodle dishes and the much loved Dumplings....Han Tuo the former chef of Da Tang Noodle House is returning refreshed and energized after a two year Sabbatical.
    We wish him all the best! and know that many people will be delighted to be able to find Fresh Homemade Noodles again in Galway......Thanks again everyone.......!!!!

Catherine & CHI Team...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The Black Cat tapas bar and restaurant in Upper Salthill has had to close due to damage caused to the structural integrity of their building by the redevelopment of the former AIB building next door. What a shame this had to happen at the busiest time of year, I hope the owners will be well-compensated.

Just wanted to update my previous post to say the Black Cat has re-opened so good news for the owners and their customers :). Looks like the issues with the building were sorted out faster than anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you liked Chi you might give Lana or Julan Julan a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If you liked Chi you might give Lana or Julan Julan a try.

Papa Rich FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks everyone. Yes, lana has replaced chi in our house. I will have to try Julan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Davorens shop opposite the hospital has shut, walked past and saw shelves emptied no sign of any further usage as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Thanks everyone. Yes, lana has replaced chi in our house. I will have to try Julan.

Again papa rich ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Do Papa Rich do delivery? If it bests Lana's special udon noodles I'd love to try it.

Outdoor clothing shop opening where the florist on Mainguard Street used to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Outdoor clothing shop opening where the florist on Mainguard Street used to be.
    As opposed to an Indoor clothing shop

Caprice cafe gone into the former Mexx unit opposite St Nicholas.
    Dough Bros will be moving to the original Sweetie Pies unit on Middle St soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Dough Bros will be moving to the original Sweetie Pies unit on Middle St soon.

You sure? I thought they were moving directly across the road from there, in the Cathedral Building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Noticed a new cafe getting kitted out opposite Druid Lane on Quay Street - "Quay Street Food".

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    You sure? I thought they were moving directly across the road from there, in the Cathedral Building.

That's the original Sweetie Pies unit. They later moved across the road to the one you're on about and then up to Abbeygate Street.

That's the original Sweetie Pies unit. They later moved across the road to the one you're on about and then up to Abbeygate Street.

And before that they were in Athenry! Must win a prize for most premises in a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Do Papa Rich do delivery? If it bests Lana's special udon noodles I'd love to try it.

I don't think they do. They'd make a killing of they did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

pat joyce has a planning app in for the xtravision unit at joyces knocknacarra, change of use to dentists surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

They seem to be flooring Donnellys coal yard at the docks, beside the Harbour hotel.
    Anyone know what's going on there?
    Premium location, access to the new docks extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

harryd2 wrote: »
    They seem to be flooring Donnellys coal yard at the docks, beside the Harbour hotel.
    Anyone know what's going on there?
    Premium location, access to the new docks extension.

Yep, they have moved to the inner docks and are still operating but with fewer staff.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Yep, they have moved to the inner docks and are still operating but with fewer staff.

Were they not supposed to move to the enterprise park ? Thought they were to go down near suttons oil / lime store building ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

westgolf wrote: »
    Were they not supposed to move to the enterprise park ? Thought they were to go down near suttons oil / lime store building ?

Yep, that's where they are now!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭jeoun

Fat Tony's Barber shop now opened in Briarhill Shopping Centre.

• Advertisement

jeoun wrote: »
    Fat Tony's Barber shop now opened in Briarhill Shopping Centre.

Jaysus, he's really expanding ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement