Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Apologies. Not normally a thread hijacker.
    Never like to see any(legal) business close down. The lost income for the employees is bad enough, but seeing something you've put time, effort and money in to crumbling around you must be soul destroying.
    On a tangent, don't know if it was posted before, but there is a new cafe open in Renmore, down beside the pharmacy. The Full Duck.Not been in yet, but hopefully over the weekend.Wish them well.

Been there a good few months now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

In a closure that will cheer most people up here, in today's Iris Oifiguil, I see that Galway Clamping Company Limited entered voluntary liquidation on June 17th. They would have run the clamping on Longwalk and other locations where Galway Property Management have a presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Carrie's closet opening in eglinton street beside the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not new, but changed: the petrol station beside Merlin Park store is now branded Tara instead of Texaco (I only noticed because you can still see the scars of the Texaco sign on the overhead canopy.

I'm thinking this is a new brand, for Galway anyways?

389971.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The Black Cat tapas bar and restaurant in Upper Salthill has had to close due to damage caused to the structural integrity of their building by the redevelopment of the former AIB building next door. What a shame this had to happen at the busiest time of year, I hope the owners will be well-compensated.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The Black Cat tapas bar and restaurant in Upper Salthill has had to close due to damage caused to the structural integrity of their building by the redevelopment of the former AIB building next door. What a shame this had to happen at the busiest time of year, I hope the owners will be well-compensated.

How awful for them! Love that restaurant, definitely top 3 in the city for me, and lovely staff too. Hope they get it all sorted and re-open soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Lohan's in Salthill has been sold and will become O’Reilly’s BBQ this Nov.

http://connachttribune.ie/like-old-times-as-salthill-pub-returns-to-previous-owners-233/

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

hopefully get a proper BBQ joint in Galway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

connollys wrote: »
    hopefully get a proper BBQ joint in Galway.

That would be amazeballs. And I'm not one to throw amazeballs around willy-nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

New Italian food shop in woodquay. Name escapes me. I'll have to nip in on weekend to check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Anyone know the name of the restaurant on the Docks where 'Eight Bar' used to be please?
    Also, anyone eaten there, if so what's the opinion?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the restaurant on the Docks where 'Eight Bar' used to be please?

The restaurant is called Neo. I ate there once not long after it opened and the food and service were good. It's a casual kind of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭topcat77

Went to have lunch in the Pasta Factory on Mary st yesterday and came face to face with a building site. Really hope it's just temporary work as i love the place. Had one of the best plates of pasta i can remember, a Clam tagliatelle vongole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

topcat77 wrote: »
    Went to have lunch in the Pasta Factory on Mary st yesterday and came face to face with a building site. Really hope it's just temporary work as i love the place. Had one of the best plates of pasta i can remember, a Clam tagliatelle vongole.

From their facebook page:

Please note we will be closed from 03.07 until 07.07.2016 during renovations. Sorry for any inconvenience. ‪#‎pastafactory‬

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not new, but changed: the petrol station beside Merlin Park store is now branded Tara instead of Texaco (I only noticed because you can still see the scars of the Texaco sign on the overhead canopy.
    I'm thinking this is a new brand, for Galway anyways?
    Same with the one in Woodquay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Threshold moving to the old Ladbrokes shop beside The Bentley.

dinneenp wrote: »

Same style as Lana in Salthill (Asian street food, Irish style), slightly more expensive I guess due to location.

We like it, and have been back several times. They've moved from order-at-the-counter to full table service.

Threshold moving to the old Ladbrokes shop beside The Bentley.

Where's The Bentley?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Where's The Bentley?

That took me a minute too but it's McGettigans/Cuba :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Same with the one in Woodquay

Is that not called something like great gas?

• Advertisement

Is that not called something like great gas?
    Not sure, on reflection. :o I'll have to check again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Yeah, I noticed it's branded Great Gas now - there's one in Claregalway which is a 24/7 card-only petrol station AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The tourist office/kiosk at the top of Eyre Sq is now a sweet/ice cream place. I think it's called 'Concrete' which is kind of appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The tourist office/kiosk at the top of Eyre Sq is now a sweet/ice cream place. I think it's called 'Concrete' which is kind of appropriate.

Concrete Jungle.

Causing a furore apparently.
    It's not supposed to be a private enterprise ie. a coffee shop.
    Council did not go through proper planning procedure when renting out their own kiosk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Causing a furore apparently.
    It's not supposed to be a private enterprise ie. a coffee shop.
    Council did not go through proper planning procedure when renting out their own kiosk

Meh. Better to be used as something rather than nothing, imho.

Who is kicking up a fuss?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Meh. Better to be used as something rather than nothing, imho.
    Who is kicking up a fuss?
    Other coffee shops and restaurants paying high commercial rates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Other coffee shops and restaurants paying high commercial rates

I'd guess this operation is paying rates, too?

I'm not condoning it, but would still prefer to see it being used. That said, surely this time of year it could be used as a.... tourist office?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm not condoning it, but would still prefer to see it being used. That said, surely this time of year it could be used as a.... tourist office?!

Or even a festival office. Walking around town I saw 3 festival offices all out of the way on side streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

No, not on the kiosk in question as it is not a rateable building because it's owned by the City.

The individual operating the kiosk is paying rates on their other business on Forster St. but not the kiosk.

It is better to see it in use rather than being idle, but the fact it was handed out without any tender process & rate free is being seen as unfair by some.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement