Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

snubbleste wrote: »
    Already been mentioned on thread

Wow! Super helpful reply :rolleyes:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Eeden wrote: »
    There seems to be some re-fitting/re-stocking going on at the shop that used to be Rabbitte's in Lower Salthill.

Rabbitte's has now reopened under the Daybreak umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Jade Winters adult shop in Liosban seems to be closed, shutters down for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

ratracer wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the story with the 'cantina', a truck container in the forecourt of Topaz Newcastle? The shop has already been refurbished so nothing to do with that. I will go check it out, but just curious if any knowledgeable folk on here can shed any light?

It was opened up with the idea that it would only be there on a 6 week basis, but surely it's past that point now. Was still there and open when I drove past on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It was opened up with the idea that it would only be there on a 6 week basis, but surely it's past that point now. Was still there and open when I drove past on Saturday night.

I think it's been there 5 weeks so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cotters shop Knocknacarra closing at the end of the month.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Must be the one in Shangort Road. Their other store is called Cappagh Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Source ? Been there a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Spoke to the owner this morning and he confirms it's closing (Cotters)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Still open alright... no plans to close it atm as far as i know. They are hoping for an up turn with the atudents and also extending the opening hours to 1am.

Have to say, its really good if you get the food fresh. Unfortunately, due to foot traffic, thats just not often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

gufc21 wrote: »
    Still open alright... no plans to close it atm as far as i know. They are hoping for an up turn with the atudents and also extending the opening hours to 1am.

Have to say, its really good if you get the food fresh. Unfortunately, due to foot traffic, thats just not often enough.

Still haven't managed to pop by there but I do believe late opening hours could be a game changer. Mexican is the best drunk food there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Long time there that shop. Remember renting Robocop for a sleepover around 1990 and being subjected to bloody good violence at the ripe age of 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Re HMV. I imagine the unit will stay empty for ages.

I never realised there wasnt a lift in it till I went in the other day looking for CD bargains but had the pushchair with me and couldnt go down to the music downstairs. Thats a bit bizarre, isnt it?

I saw a guy in a wheelchair browsing the DVDs as I was leaving and realised that he's never once been able to browse the music section in there since it opened! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

trio wrote: »
    Re HMV. I imagine the unit will stay empty for ages.

I never realised there wasnt a lift in it till I went in the other day looking for CD bargains but had the pushchair with me and couldnt go down to the music downstairs. Thats a bit bizarre, isnt it?

I saw a guy in a wheelchair browsing the DVDs as I was leaving and realised that he's never once been able to browse the music section in there since it opened! :eek:

No chance it will be empty for ages, last time was mid recession and it wasn't an age. Rumours that there is already a retailer lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Cases wine warehouse closing down. Signs at the roundabouts along the western distributor road promoting their closing down sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

westgolf wrote: »
    Cases wine warehouse closing down. Signs at the roundabouts along the western distributor road promoting their closing down sale.

Wonder are they closing for good or moving? We actually used to buy wine off them until fairly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭maniac2003

Jade Winters adult shop in Liosban seems to be closed, shutters down for the last couple of weeks.

signs in the windows driving past today could not read them

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Chi Bistro on Middle Street and the Takeaway in Westside are closing down. Da Tang Noodles House are going back into the Middle St restaurant, with the original (Noodle House) chef returning - according to their Facebook page.

"Dear CHI Friends, Customers, this will be the final post as CHI.... CHI Bistro/Takeaway adventure has come to the end of the road.......It's been a wonderful experience & thank you to all of you who have supported us over the last number of years.....The Takeaway in Westside as from today will no longer operate and the Middle St Restaurant will return to being The Noodle House again serving Fresh Noodle dishes and the much loved Dumplings....Han Tuo the former chef of Da Tang Noodle House is returning refreshed and energized after a two year Sabbatical.
    We wish him all the best! and know that many people will be delighted to be able to find Fresh Homemade Noodles again in Galway......Thanks again everyone.......!!!!

Catherine & CHI Team...."

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Chi Bistro on Middle Street and the Takeaway in Westside are closing down. Da Tang Noodles House are going back into the Middle St restaurant, with the original (Noodle House) chef returning - according to their Facebook page.

"Dear CHI Friends, Customers, this will be the final post as CHI.... CHI Bistro/Takeaway adventure has come to the end of the road.......It's been a wonderful experience & thank you to all of you who have supported us over the last number of years.....The Takeaway in Westside as from today will no longer operate and the Middle St Restaurant will return to being The Noodle House again serving Fresh Noodle dishes and the much loved Dumplings....Han Tuo the former chef of Da Tang Noodle House is returning refreshed and energized after a two year Sabbatical.
    We wish him all the best! and know that many people will be delighted to be able to find Fresh Homemade Noodles again in Galway......Thanks again everyone.......!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

maniac2003 wrote: »
    signs in the windows driving past today could not read them

U were warned that the long term effects would make u go blind

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Thanks for sharing that. We had to stop using Chi due to their service going to sh**e but I'll try it again if the old team is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Cotters Shop in Knocknacarra closing down on Sunday

Anyone know whats going there instead ?

Asked staff in there but said they didn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Cotters Shop in Knocknacarra closing down on Sunday

Anyone know whats going there instead ?

Asked staff in there but said they didn't know

Heard him talking to a rep few weeks back. All i picked up was its gona be non retail and open by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

gufc21 wrote:
    Heard him talking to a rep few weeks back. All i picked up was its gona be non retail and open by summer.

Indian or Chinese is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wonder are they closing for good or moving? We actually used to buy wine off them until fairly recently.

The lease is up so they are moving, but they haven't got a new location yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Feericks butchers in Lower Newcastle closing 30 January according to the advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Feericks butchers in Lower Newcastle closing 30 January according to the advertiser

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Signs up in the old O2 premises that 3 are moving in. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

smurf492 wrote: »
    I think Zhivago survives because many Galwegians will buy local rather than go with the big corporation. Also Zhivago does rely a lot on special orders and vinyl plus they have that horrible area full of touristy junk which obviously makes a fortune come paddy's day! The HMV store was not comfortable to be in, too warm, and messily laid out...and don't get me started on the downstairs...:rolleyes:

I'm a bit of an old timer but its times like these where i really miss somewhere like Mulligans record store, it was always so chilled and with lovely staff and an exemplary eclectic selection of sounds on offer on vinyl and CD, one of the very best reggae selections with all the different genres, amazing world music. It really was a niche market record shop.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement