Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

cratloe through as expected to round 3 , tough ask now for whitegate in the relegation final

https://twitter.com/CratloeGAAClub/status/767406542840819712?lang=en

1/4 Finals

Crusheen
    Clonlara
    Eire Og
    Feakle

Round 3 playoffs
    Ballyea
    Clarecastle
    Cratloe
    Clooney/quinn
    Sixmilebridge
    Tulla
    Wolfe Tones
    O'C Mills

Relegation Playoffs
    kilmaley
    Inagh/Kilnamona
    Newmarket
    Whitegate

Is the round 3 playoffs an open draw??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Is the round 3 playoffs an open draw??

no as far as i know , i belive it will be the winners of the playoff v a loser from the winners group , for example cratloe,the bridge,tulla or clarecastle can not meet each other in this round

losers from winners group

wolfe tones
    O'C Mills
    Clooney/quinn
    Clarecastle

V One from
    from losers group

Ballyea
    Sixmilebridge
    Cratloe
    Tulla

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bridge v tones
    Clarecastle v cratloe
    Mills v tulla
    Clooney v ballyea

Relagation:
    Inamona v kilmaley
    Newmarket v whitegate

Some local derbies thrown into the mix. That relegation derby could be a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

The Mills V Tulla should be lively...

Bridge v tones
    Clarecastle v cratloe
    Mills v tulla
    Clooney v ballyea

Relagation:
    Inamona v kilmaley
    Newmarket v whitegate

Some local derbies thrown into the mix. That relegation derby could be a belter.

i almost expect momentum to stand to tulla vs the mills , clooney/quinn v ballyea could go to the wire also , big ask perhaps for tones and the magpies , kilmaley got the worst draws possible in both 1st and 2nd round draws , the probably will have too much for there neighbors , had the draw or luck being kinder for them they would still be a serious threat in the championship

toss of a coin in the blues v whitegate game , the blues could have been hammered by ballyea last week had they taken half of there chances while whitegate battled well for 50/55 minutes against a far superior team in cratloe , i wouldnt be surprised if newmarket find themselves in a drop zone final but the likelihood is now for a inaghmona v whitegate final

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Newmarket really are having a terrible season, at the start of the season I would have thought they'd be 1 of the favorites for the Canon Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Clareman wrote: »
    Newmarket really are having a terrible season, at the start of the season I would have thought they'd be 1 of the favorites for the Canon Hamilton.

that could be a big problem for them. Whitegate no matter what they saywill have had the possibility of a relegation match in the back of their minds.
    No part of newmarkets thinking would have involved that which could be difficult to deal with

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I see Davy is back in the news saying that he's not going to make a decision quickly and is going to concentrate on his own recovery while playing golf and not going to matches. http://clareherald.com/2016/08/davy-concentrating-on-recovery-before-making-a-decision-on-clare-future/

Now, call me cynical, but surely if he's the current Clare Manager he should be attending championship matches to not only keep an eye on existing players but to spot potentially new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

Indeed

Looks like he's going to ride out the storm and then come out with a statement in September or October that he's recharged his batteries and he's ready to give it all in the pursuit of another Munster Senior Hurling League.
    I see Davy is back in the news saying that he's not going to make a decision quickly and is going to concentrate on his own recovery while playing golf and not going to matches. http://clareherald.com/2016/08/davy-concentrating-on-recovery-before-making-a-decision-on-clare-future/

Now, call me cynical, but surely if he's the current Clare Manager he should be attending championship matches to not only keep an eye on existing players but to spot potentially new players.

The listing of Munster Leagues as success is very annoying, who cares about the Munster League? Wasn't there a change to the teams who even played in it recently? Most other teams wouldn't be playing college players either. The thing about winning 2 promotions is that you have to had been relegated at least once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The listing of Munster Leagues as success is very annoying, who cares about the Munster League? Wasn't there a change to the teams who even played in it recently? Most other teams wouldn't be playing college players either. The thing about winning 2 promotions is that you have to had been relegated at least once.

The college teams were removed from it and Tipp didn't enter it, was played off in 3 weeks in January in the muck and shi*e.

danganabu wrote: »
    The college teams were removed from it and Tipp didn't enter it, was played off in 3 weeks in January in the muck and shi*e.

With Clare in training since October and Limerick missing Na Piarsaigh players.

Yup, that's a competition worth noting

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

You must be another one of those Clare supporters that's losing the run of themselves

tatoo wrote: »
    You must be another one of those Clare supporters that's losing the run of themselves

That's me, totally losing the run of myself by thinking that a bunch of players with 4 Under 21 All Ireland's, 1 Senior All Ireland and a National League in the past 7 years should be getting as far as All Ireland quarter finals or heaven forbid, winning a match in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

That's me, totally losing the run of myself by thinking that a bunch of players with 4 Under 21 All Ireland's, 1 Senior All Ireland and a National League in the past 7 years should be getting as far as All Ireland quarter finals or heaven forbid, winning a match in Munster.

But I bet if we won two Munster leagues in a row you wouldn't be complaining would you? Ennis wouldn't sleep for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Henno30 wrote: »
    But I bet if we won two Munster leagues in a row you wouldn't be complaining would you? Ennis wouldn't sleep for a week.

Didn't we win the Waterford Crystal competition at one stage? Irrelevant competition in January. I don't think Ennis even woke up that we were in it.

Sure Ennis wasn't hosting the Fleadh last week, it was celebrating past Munster League victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I heard the green bibs won in a training match in January. I had a few beers to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Ya totally agree with you, the only players coming through are the lads who are coming as stars from underage, there is not chance for late bloomers al la Lar Corbett.

I hate the fact we stop our championship and kill everyone development, maybe im on my own on that. But 6 weeks between matches is useless to lads.

This radio documentary should be something special. Dear god, what sort of stuff is going to come out with now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

This radio documentary should be something special. Dear god, what sort of stuff is going to come out with now.

What documentary is this?

billo.d86 wrote: »
    What documentary is this?

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/0811/808524-davy/?imz_s=3hf63j3jb0m5i8b57jqsg1ln23

Davy

People think they know Davy Fitzgerald because of what they see during the game, but what about before and after? This documentary had unique access to follow Clare's 2016 hurling year and experience it through Davy's eyes. (2016)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/0811/808524-davy/?imz_s=3hf63j3jb0m5i8b57jqsg1ln23

Davy

People think they know Davy Fitzgerald because of what they see during the game, but what about before and after? This documentary had unique access to follow Clare's 2016 hurling year and experience it through Davy's eyes. (2016)

Is this the guy that was complaining about the media? He had someone from the media follow him for the year, you couldn't make this up.

Is this the guy that was complaining about the media? He had someone from the media follow him for the year, you couldn't make this up.

He's always been an attention seeker. Media is fine until there's criticism, then it becomes a vast conspiracy to undermine him.

The sickening thing about this documentary, is that he will blatantly lie and misrepresent the facts of his tenure, completely unchallenged by a journalist who has nowhere near the required knowledge to question him.

We know what it will be. He loves Clare, loves 'his boys', loves hurling, and he won't let the 'bullies' get to him. He has a great record, and he's extremely proud of it. And the Clare fans have lost the run of themselves because of all the success he has brought them. He only does interviews with people who won't challenge this nonsense, like John Fogarty.

The endless self-promotion is incredibly sickening. Every single interview has the same narrative, that "a county like Clare" should not be expecting to win anything, but at the same time his record is fantastic.

I would love, just once, for someone to put these facts to him:

- You have won just one Munster championship game in five years

- You have had three consecutive failed seasons with Clare and yet insist that you have an excellent record

- You only seem capable of winning games against the Leinster preliminary group teams in the championship

- You have the best ever generation of Clare underage teams at your disposal, yet your results are significantly worse than those produced by Anthony Daly in the mid-00s for example

- You repeatedly lower expectations for Clare hurling as a means of defending your own record

It would be nice for someone to cut through the bullsh*t for a change. I am so tired of listening to him cherrypick stats about Munster leagues and 'only two losses all season' and have no one pick him up on such blatant nonsense.

The greatest spoof of all is that he then portrays himself as a victim, a decent guy beset on all sides by bullies and critics. The truth is that he is a prominent and very high profile individual in the GAA, protected by an all-powerful county secretary in his father. In the late 90s he was handed an All-Ireland winning minor team for his first stint at intercounty management. Then he was given by far and away the best generation of underage players we have ever had, and a blank cheque into the bargain.

He's a powerful figure, with a dreadful record entirely deserving of criticism, using his profile to bully others into silence. That's the real Davy Fitz, but I doubt we'll see that in the documentary.

You would serously consider not renewing the season ticket next season . Utter nonsense this whole saga is turning out to be .

The basic reasons behind clares down fall are us the unloyal supporter and the local media (bar dunphy of course) nothing to do with playing a tactic that suites no one.

Its almost unbareable supporting clare hurling at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

Will the club's be allowed to voice their displeasure on Davy performance as manager over last 3 years? Bringing in Donal Og seemed a last resort and he didn't seem to have much input and same tactics were used as in previous years. Would any of the hurling lads switch over to footballers ?Clare football in a good place and will need more bodies for division 2 football

Gael85 wrote: »
    Will the club's be allowed to voice their displeasure on Davy performance as manager over last 3 years? Bringing in Donal Og seemed a last resort and he didn't seem to have much input and same tactics were used as in previous years. Would any of the hurling lads switch over to footballers ?Clare football in a good place and will need more bodies for division 2 football

nearly all of what you said happened last year and late 2014, players jumped ship to the footballers , clubs protested ex players protested , malty mcdounagh promised a " warts and all" investigation into clare hurling it never happened , davy is still in charge the players are still disgruntled as are the supporters

games in the senior football championship this weekend

big clash in shannon where two former county finalists take part in a relegation semi final , lissycasey will look for redemption against o'currys after controversy in the previous round and hope to get one over the team that knocked them out at the same stage last year . cooraclare will have to improve ten fold if they want to stay in the competition let alone challenge like last year .

tomorrow sees kilrush take on corofin in the second relegation semi , while ennistymon face a tricky derby in the park against up and coming st breckens , clondegad will hope they have too much for kilkee

Round 3 Saturday

Cooraclare : O'Currys v Lissycasey @ 6:00
    Gurteen : Cooraclare v Wolfe tones @ 6:00

Sunday

Cooraclare :Clondegad v Kilkee @ 1:00
    Cusack park : Ennistymon v ST Breckans @ 6:30

Relegation playoff semi final

saturday
    Shannon: Eire Og v Doora/barefield @6:00

sunday
    Lissycasey: Kilrush v Corofin @ 12:00

impressive stuff from lissycasey to qualify for the last 8 , while cooraclare get over the line against wolfe tones to join them in the next round , while the townies and the parish are in extra time in shannon at the moment

https://twitter.com/Westclarepage/status/769601712831234048n

https://twitter.com/ryancorry8

https://twitter.com/EireOgInisGAA/status/769602109826293761

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

nearly all of what you said happened last year and late 2014, players jumped ship to the footballers , clubs protested ex players protested , malty mcdounagh promised a " warts and all" investigation into clare hurling it never happened , davy is still in charge the players are still disgruntled as are the supporters

Surely there will be investigation this year? I know his father has a lot of power but something needs to be done before this group of players are lost. Surely the players can't be happy with set up. They seem to be afraid to voice their opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement