Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Signing in O'Mahoneys at the weekend I hear

Yeah, it's going to be a great read ,,,,,
    I remember goal being buried past him in O4 and Conor Clancy telling him to put that in his book... He got a fit of temper and blasted the ball out past Clancys ear.. the 'puck out' was caught and duly returned over the bar. A 4 point swing..
    The two corner backs were giving out the score board was wrong.. they were still coming out of the square when all this happened..

Bet that's not in the book...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    Yeah, it's going to be a great read ,,,,,
    I remember goal being buried past him in O4 and Conor Clancy telling him to put that in his book... He got a fit of temper and blasted the ball out past Clancys ear.. the 'puck out' was caught and duly returned over the bar. A 4 point swing..
    The two corner backs were giving out the score board was wrong.. they were still coming out of the square when all this happened..

Bet that's not in the book...

Clancy isn't as famous as Lohan or Jamesey so probably won't be mentioned at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gael85 wrote: »

They guy is milking the GAA for as much as he can, ffs his girlfriend is even driving around Ennis in a car with "Sponsored by Wexford GAA"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clareman wrote: »
    They guy is milking the GAA for as much as he can, ffs his girlfriend is even driving around Ennis in a car with "Sponsored by Wexford GAA"

Must be one of the first GAA people to bring out a second book. Agree he is mad for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Are you serious? thats taking the piss in fairness

big_drive wrote: »
    Are you serious? thats taking the piss in fairness

I assume it's his girlfriend, it's defintely a lady anyway, spot it on my daily commute every day so it's not a case of just "borrowing the car"

Must be one of the first GAA people to bring out a second book. Agree he is mad for money.

Something has to keep him in the lifestyle he's accustomed to

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

I find it ironic that a guy who will be on the Late Late Friday night to talk about his health scare (heart problems) and Ireland's Fittest Family - both money making agendas, is one of the more overweight GAA managers in the country.
    Do as I say but not as I do.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Does anyone know what the story is, regarding who will be in charge, for the Clare U20 hurlers for 2019? I believe that John Carmody is expected to be manager. But can anyone clarify, why he wasn't ratified, at last Tuesday night's Clare CB meeting? Is it the case that he is finalizing his backroom team, at this moment of time. Or is it the case, that other candidates, are interested in the job? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tomo75 wrote: »
    I find it ironic that a guy who will be on the Late Late Friday night to talk about his health scare (heart problems) and Ireland's Fittest Family - both money making agendas, is one of the more overweight GAA managers in the country.
    Do as I say but not as I do.........

he had no notion of staying on in wexford after last season , he wanted to leave and concentrate on exactly what you just said his book and ireland's fittest family or now what looks like " duitschland's beste Familie " his german project at the moment or his book :rolleyes: apparently a bus load of wexford officials and players turned up at his house one evening to change his mind ,

i think liam dunne achieved the same as davey over the same period of time in wexico and got fired :rolleyes: .....

before i we mention the football championship . it has to be said this years hurling championship was probably the poorest in a few years , it was nearly obvious from there 2nd round meeting that cratloe and ballyea would contest the senior final , here is my appraisal of each side

sixmilebridge : excellent last year , soccer slightly hampered there early league but never got going in championship will be back next year much better

Newmarket : totally hampered by soccer in the early stages of the league , affected there early championship form hence two quick loss's to kilmaley and the combo , will probably ironically win the clare cup with little soccer being played at the moment

clarecastle : they have some of the best coach's in the country in the magpie village but no one seem to want to put the shoulder to the wheel with the club ,if the likes of morrissey or dalo , sheedy or whoever dont get involved fats they will sink south into the intermediate championship next year

Doora/barefield : The Parrish! the only club in the county that cant get on with its fellow members hence the relegation of both senior hurling and football clubs this year despite the best facilities and probably the largest pick in the county , stop competing football against hurling and ye will be fine

crusheen : excellent club will be back next year no matter what it takes

Tulla : have colin corbett to thank for not finding themselves in a relegation battle this year , hopefully a wake up call

Clooney/quinn: along with this years best inter county player in there ranks they have one of the best full backs in the county in "silence" at number 3 need more up front to challenge again in future

wolfe tones : had a great year before the mills game , much better team then that performance

whitegate: bad loss against ballyea in the first round , robed in the second round defeat to tulla conceding a 4th minute injury time goal to colin corbett and send them into the relegation round , did well to avoid the drop afterwards

Eire Og : great club but it still looks like they are a long way off a cannon , for what reason i dont know why, they have all the ammo in the world at this moment in time to win it but cant .

Clonlara : the best panel in the county if they can get there act together , neither of the galvin brothers look interested in there clubs fortunes , they need to get the house in order big time , almost a waste of a club at this stage

kilmaley: hard year with a tragedy at the start of the year ,no one expected anything out of them after there intermediate win came close to wining the championship , will need to utilise the west clare players better in years to come as they have now first preference over ballyea, if they cant clare hurling as a whole will suffer

inagh/kilnamona : give it time lads , heagerty is a great man to have in charge but dont ruin it , the ennistymon run might be a great help long term

O'C Mills : Excellent effort all year , the team of the championship ,really good work done under age hopefully they can build on it next year , pat loughnane can be really proud of his efforts this year in charge of the east clare side , much better days to come

cratloe : lost there way mid way through the second half of last weeks county final , were probably always playing second fiddle to ballyea all year , some people blame football for the loss , i dont all that balllyea team were involved with clondegad or other teams all year so no excuses

Ballyea : kevin sheehan for president :pac: excellent job by the ballyea goalkeeper back from his honeymoon and thrown in at the deep end , big things await in the club championship , best team in the county all year

feakle : welcome to the jungle lads:pac:

in football this weeks final is a first , but it could be fairly onsided ,

hopefully i am wrong but miltown have been head and shoulders above the entire county all year , it would be excellent to see the likes of ennistymon win there first county championship tomorrow but i doubt it,

miltown will probably have enough on a day there arch rivals KIB pick up there jubilee medals from 1993 the year they made the break through , it looks like the tides have turned and no doubt will they rub it in:pac: , big run in munster expected let a lone a county final win tomorrow

I wouldn't agree with some of your assessments there Windy

Sixmilebridge : Over achieved the year before where they were too reliant on a 40something Gilly, probably found their level this year.

Newmarket : Totally over shadowed by an extremely successful soccer club but that is glossing over the fact that they don't have an inter-county player.

Clarecastle : Getting their rewards for concentrating on facilities rather than players 10 years ago, like Barefield they just don't have the players coming through and past glories won't win matches for them.

Doora/barefield : Barefield had 1 brilliant set of players that they thouhgt would never stop playing, now that they have stopped they have to realise that they don't have the players because of a complete focus on getting facilities rather than players. Internal politics blaming football is just an excuse, football put in the work years ago when hurling didn't. Must read Chrisy O'Connor's book again.

Crusheen : Doing as well as they can, a solid senior club that could easily find themselves contesting finals.

Tulla : Take David McInerney out of the team and they're intermediate, have to put in a lot of work this winter to stay senior next year.

Clooney-Quinn: Like Crusheen, a solid senior club that can get to finals.

Wolfe Tones : If they "click" they'll give the championship a great rattle next year

Whitegate: Did well to avoid relegation, again, how long can they stay up?

Eire Og : To me it's a disgrace that a club with such facilities and pick aren't contesting finals, showed up against Kilmaley to be completely reliant on SoD.

Clonlara : Injuries to most of their inter-county players meant they were out on their feet when the championship started properly, if Clare are playing lots of matches Clonlara will struggle.

Kilmaley: Surprised they didn't make the final at least, under 21 champions a few years ago and a tragedy to bring them together.

Inagh-Kilnamona: Need to get an identity

Mills : Benefitting from great underage work being done

Cratloe : They were poor in the final, to be 7 points up and loose like that was extremely poor.

Ballyea : Kelly showed he's the best hurler in the county, himself and Deasy seem to play a whole lot better for their club than they do for their county.

Feakle : as with all promoted clubs will need a decent draw and a bit of luck to stay up.

Miltown 0-14 Ennistymon 0-8

4 scores from play from 16 chances created for ennistymon compared to Miltowns 12/17 chances created from play tells its own story as Miltown saw off the Ennistymon challenge , an exhibition of scoring by kieran malone and conor cleary at the other end was to much for an ennistymon side lacking fire power up front in there first ever county final

the first half was exclusively played in the miltown half of the field , joe dowling causing the most trouble for the north clare side but it was there inability to take there chances when presented that cost them big time , despite playing all the football in the first half they trailed by 2 points at the break , most of miltowns scores coming on the counter attack ,

in the second , the favorites came out of the blocks fast and raced into a 0-9 to 0-4 lead in the early stages of the half, and really set the tone for the rest of the game , david fitzgearld and michael leigh both went close with goal chances but as the half wore on miltown took more control of the game and were the more efficient through out the game ,

big worry for them heading into the munster club championship for them is the amount of scoring chances presented to ennistymon today especially goal chances, if they have any thoughts of there neighbors footsteps in the munster club they will really have to tighten up at the back , not the worst game of football in the world despite how defensive both teams set up . an expect win for miltown who stumbled over the line thanks to excellent performances by , darragh mcdonagh, eoin cleary , kieran malone and cormac murry , joe dowling had an excellent game for ennistymon as did david fitzgearld and kevin hehir ,

Miltown scorers

Eoin Cleary 0-5
    Kieran Malone 0-3
    Cormac Murry 0-2
    Darragh McDonagh 0-2
    Colin Hehir 0-1
    Seanie Malone 0-1

Ennistymon

joe Dowling 0-5
    Sean McCoinigley 0-1
    Joey Rouine 0-1
    Aarron McNulty 0-1

• Advertisement

Miltown 0-14 Ennistymon 0-8

4 scores from play from 16 chances created for ennistymon compared to Miltowns 12/17 chances created from play tells its own story as Miltown saw off the Ennistymon challenge , an exhibition of scoring by kieran malone and conor cleary at the other end was to much for an ennistymon side lacking fire power up front in there first ever county final

the first half was exclusively played in the miltown half of the field , joe dowling causing the most trouble for the north clare side but it was there inability to take there chances when presented that cost them big time , despite playing all the football in the first half they trailed by 2 points at the break , most of miltowns scores coming on the counter attack ,

in the second , the favorites came out of the blocks fast and raced into a 0-9 to 0-4 lead in the early stages of the half, and really set the tone for the rest of the game , david fitzgearld and michael leigh both went close with goal chances but as the half wore on miltown took more control of the game and were the more efficient through out the game ,

big worry for them heading into the munster club championship for them is the amount of scoring chances presented to ennistymon today especially goal chances, if they have any thoughts of there neighbors footsteps in the munster club they will really have to tighten up at the back , not the worst game of football in the world despite how defensive both teams set up . an expect win for miltown who stumbled over the line thanks to excellent performances by , darragh mcdonagh, eoin cleary , kieran malone and cormac murry , joe dowling had an excellent game for ennistymon as did david fitzgearld and kevin hehir ,

Miltown scorers

Eoin Cleary 0-5
    Kieran Malone 0-3
    Cormac Murry 0-2
    Darragh McDonagh 0-2
    Colin Hehir 0-1
    Seanie Malone 0-1

Ennistymon

joe Dowling 0-5
    Sean McCoinigley 0-1
    Joey Rouine 0-1
    Aarron McNulty 0-1

Well done Milltown. What year were they relegated to intermediate? 2 senior and 1 inter championship for a lot of that team.

Well done Milltown. What year were they relegated to intermediate? 2 senior and 1 inter championship for a lot of that team.

relegated in 2012 , came very close to winning the munster intermediate championship the following year losing narrowly to paudi kissanes clyda from cork in the final in 2013 beat kilmihil comfortably in the clare final to go up , 2015 and 2018 senior champions and reached two semi finals also in that time since 2013

manager michael neylon has done a superb job with them , they done savage training in the cross country track in cooraclare over the winter and spring months and it told come championship , a bit shaky today at times but you will expect that in a county final ,

in the championship though they were untouchable ,the comfortable wins against clondegad and cratloe would suggest they will be around for a while yet , deserving champions and best team in the county all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ennistymon played the ball backwards too much, Miltown the far more positive team and drove forward every chance they got.

Ennistymon had lots of chances, if they took points instead of trying to walk the ball into the net and had a decent freetaker then they might have won today but also if my Aunty had balls....

Also how did Graham Kelly not get a black card for his cynical tackle in the 2nd half?

funnyname wrote: »
    Ennistymon played the ball backwards too much, Miltown the far more positive team and drove forward every chance they got.

Ennistymon had lots of chances, if they took points instead of trying to walk the ball into the net and had a decent freetaker then they might have won today but also if my Aunty had balls....

Also how did Graham Kelly not get a black card for his cynical tackle in the 2nd half?
    i think it was gordon that fouled , thankfully graham was up in the stand and didnt see action and probably the best place for him :mad:

jim hickey rarely gives out black cards if ever , i cant remember him giving out one , last year he done the intermediate final , he blew for something like 56 frees and handed out only one yellow card i believe very hard ref to figure out at times

you are spot on on ennistymon they had 3 legitimate goal chances and didnt take any also some of there shooting in the first half was poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Agree with everything that windy said regarding the game. I was disappointed with Miltown though despite the win, going forward to the Munster campaign. Not only did they concede several goal scoring opportunities, they sat too deep at the Ennistymon kick-outs, thus giving the North Clare magpies a platform to built from the back. Personally I felt that Ennistymon gave everything and quite literally gave their last drop for the club and its people. That is a biggest compliment, you can give to any team I feel. But well done to the Miltown men. Personally Darragh McDonagh, was my man of the match today, with his excellent high fielding, in the 2nd half in particular and the move, to his more natural midfield role for the 2nd 30 mins was huge in the game.

Finally for Ennistymon, they will learn so much from today's game. Their inability to take their scoring opportunities in the 1st half in particular and their lack of scoring threat up front, costed them a huge chance of winning Jack Daly for the 1st time today. But this is new to them and what they would have learned today will hugely stand the North Clare men for the better. The old saying that you learn more in a defeat than victory could not be more true today from an Ennistymon point of view. Still they can look forward to the minor final against Doora Barefield in the next week or so.

Finally on a separate note, Colm Collins is on the look out for a new football coach for 2019 after Galway man Alan Flynn left his role as Clare senior football coach, after 2 years at the helm, for a similar role with the Kildare senior footballers. Anyone with any info on who could replace Flynn will be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

Agree with everything that windy said regarding the game. I was disappointed with Miltown though despite the win, going forward to the Munster campaign. Not only did they concede several goal scoring opportunities, they sat too deep at the Ennistymon kick-outs, thus giving the North Clare magpies a platform to built from the back. Personally I felt that Ennistymon gave everything and quite literally gave their last drop for the club and its people. That is a biggest compliment, you can give to any team I feel. But well done to the Miltown men. Personally Darragh McDonagh, was my man of the match today, with his excellent high fielding, in the 2nd half in particular and the move, to his more natural midfield role for the 2nd 30 mins was huge in the game.

Finally for Ennistymon, they will learn so much from today's game. Their inability to take their scoring opportunities in the 1st half in particular and their lack of scoring threat up front, costed them a huge chance of winning Jack Daly for the 1st time today. But this is new to them and what they would have learned today will hugely stand the North Clare men for the better. The old saying that you learn more in a defeat than victory could not be more true today from an Ennistymon point of view. Still they can look forward to the minor final against Doora Barefield in the next week or so.

Finally on a separate note, Colm Collins is on the look out for a new football coach for 2019 after Galway man Alan Flynn left his role as Clare senior football coach, after 2 years at the helm, for a similar role with the Kildare senior footballers. Anyone with any info on who could replace Flynn will be greatly appreciated

flynn is a huge loss his tactics were written all over clare's win's against down and cork away in the league , a bit like paul kinnerk in the hurling , flynn is heavy into the strength and conditioning side of the game and bar a disastrous effort in kilarney against kerry the overall effort through out 2018 for the footballers was pretty good

i dont think the coaches that collins hires get well looked after by the county board , in 2014 paudi kissane left at the end of the year sighting that it was costing him too much , fellow cork man eiphie fitzgearld took over for one year in 2015

mick bohan was probably the best coach we had under collins but again he was doing it out of patriotism , he is the nephew of fr harry bohan and has strong clare connections that year clare won division 3 , got to the all ireland 1/4 final if there was anyone on my list it would be him but it wont happen

collins has a great eye for coach's in fairness , mick bohan still helps out when he can , keeps an eye on how any of the clare lads are doing up in dublin and calls down for the odd session but i expect it will be someone with a decent track record but with what i hear they wont get much expenses of our friends in the county board , however i hear joe cooney is very much in favor of keeping collins happy so you never know

relegated in 2012 , came very close to winning the munster intermediate championship the following year losing narrowly to paudi kissanes clyda from cork in the final in 2013 beat kilmihil comfortably in the clare final to go up , 2015 and 2018 senior champions and reached two semi finals also in that time since 2013

manager michael neylon has done a superb job with them , they done savage training in the cross country track in cooraclare over the winter and spring months and it told come championship , a bit shaky today at times but you will expect that in a county final ,

in the championship though they were untouchable ,the comfortable wins against clondegad and cratloe would suggest they will be around for a while yet , deserving champions and best team in the county all year

I heard Donie Buckley done a couple training sessions with Milltown as well. Great chance for Milltown to make Munster. Playing Adare or Waterford champions in semi final.

flynn is a huge loss his tactics were written all over clare's win's against down and cork away in the league , a bit like paul kinnerk in the hurling , flynn is heavy into the strength and conditioning side of the game and bar a disastrous effort in kilarney against kerry the overall effort through out 2018 for the footballers was pretty good

i dont think the coaches that collins hires get well looked after by the county board , in 2014 paudi kissane left at the end of the year sighting that it was costing him too much , fellow cork man eiphie fitzgearld took over for one year in 2015

mick bohan was probably the best coach we had under collins but again he was doing it out of patriotism , he is the nephew of fr harry bohan and has strong clare connections that year clare won division 3 , got to the all ireland 1/4 final if there was anyone on my list it would be him but it wont happen

collins has a great eye for coach's in fairness , mick bohan still helps out when he can , keeps an eye on how any of the clare lads are doing up in dublin and calls down for the odd session but i expect it will be someone with a decent track record but with what i hear they wont get much expenses of our friends in the county board , however i hear joe cooney is very much in favor of keeping collins happy so you never know

It a pity Donie Buckley took Kerry role. Would have been perfect for Clare with him living in Ennis.

It a pity Donie Buckley took Kerry role. Would have been perfect for Clare with him living in Ennis.

there are so many counties looking for him i doubt he would get involved again with us , dose serious work behind the scenes . always gives time to do sessions with clubs here probably one of the best coach's in the country, he always gives time to miltown also , the last man to win a jack daly (1990) before michael neylon successful regin took over , still keeps in close contact with a number of former players from his time as clare manager most of them are now managing themselves is usually on hand to help out whenever he can

no idea who will come in though

brian carson from dublin is the replacement for alan flynn i am informed

carson is a lecturer in strength and conditioning and sports science at UL and has being over the sigerson cup side , they got to a number of semi finals in the competition under brian ,losing last years away to uuj up in jordanstown , carson worked with limerick for a few years under john bruider , he also won a sigerson as a player with DCU back in 2006

another up and coming coach , like DOB from miltown , kissane , flynn and Bohan looking forward to see what he will bring to the table in 2019 , has done a fine job with UL up to now

brian carson from dublin is the replacement for alan flynn i am informed

carson is a lecturer in strength and conditioning and sports science at UL and has being over the sigerson cup side , they got to a number of semi finals in the competition under brian ,losing last years away to uuj up in jordanstown , carson worked with limerick for a few years under john bruider , he also won a sigerson as a player with DCU back in 2006

another up and coming coach , like DOB from miltown , kissane , flynn and Bohan looking forward to see what he will bring to the table in 2019 , has done a fine job with UL up to now

He used play with Pats Palmerstown same club as Liam Rushe. Just checked her transferred to Monaleen in Limerick last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Producer Ben

Who will represent Clare in the munster junior hurling championship do we know? I don't think second teams are permitted in the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Who will represent Clare in the munster junior hurling championship do we know? I don't think second teams are permitted in the championship

No second teams allowed. I thnk Ogonelloe were nominated but have pulled out so no Clare representatives I'd say.

No second teams allowed. I thnk Ogonelloe were nominated but have pulled out so no Clare representatives I'd say.

I thought that rule had changed, it was a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Boherlahan have been given a walkover, no representative from Clare.

• Advertisement

I thought that rule had changed, it was a bit ridiculous.

About allowing second teams in? No, it hasn't. I think it's fair to be honest. The competition should be for first teams only. Some counties actually have separate junior championships for first teams only.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Producer Ben

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Boherlahan have been given a walkover, no representative from Clare.

Thanks for that

About allowing second teams in? No, it hasn't. I think it's fair to be honest. The competition should be for first teams only. Some counties actually have separate junior championships for first teams only.

We had the situation a few years ago in Junior A where there was only one first team Junior team in the championship, they were knocked out easily at group stages which meant they weren't even in the top 8. They duly represented Clare later about 3 months after their last game and got annihilated by the Waterford champions who didn't even play their two county hurlers.
    A complete waste of time for both teams.
    It would be better to allow the winners to progress to the Munster championship than that, or perhaps if the top first team don't go forward, that the option is open to the winners if they aren't a first team.

Is there really a need for a Junior munster championship? There's a senior and intermediate championship already

Is there really a need for a Junior munster championship? There's a senior and intermediate championship already
    Aren't they as entitled to play for provincial honours as anyone else. I'd say it must be some buzz for a junior team to get to play an All Ireland final in Croke Park.

We had the situation a few years ago in Junior A where there was only one first team Junior team in the championship, they were knocked out easily at group stages which meant they weren't even in the top 8. They duly represented Clare later about 3 months after their last game and got annihilated by the Waterford champions who didn't even play their two county hurlers.
    It would be better to allow the winners to progress to the Munster championship than that, or perhaps if the top first team don't go forward, that the option is open to the winners if they aren't a first team.
    That was an exceptional junior team from Waterford alright. It's a competition that Clare teams will never really compete in strongly when you look at the junior clubs that we have but I suppose other counties do have stronger junior championships so that's just the way it is. You couldn't have one rule for counties like Clare and allow them play second teams and not allow it for other counties and then if you tried to allow it for all counties it would devalue the whole meaning of the championship I think.

We're generally strong at senior and intermediate level so I think we just take that for now!

There's a junior B competition too at Munster level but it's organised by a club in Limerick and it's whoever wins their county championship plays in that.

It seems to be a particularly unique situation in Clare, not sure why really, structure of Senior and Intermediate?, small number of hurling clubs? dominance of the larger urban clubs?

But it doesnt seem to be an issue in most counties, I know in Tipp the furthest that they had to go back was to a semi finalist and even that twas very much the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It seems to be a particularly unique situation in Clare, not sure why really, structure of Senior and Intermediate?, small number of hurling clubs? dominance of the larger urban clubs?

But it doesnt seem to be an issue in most counties, I know in Tipp the furthest that they had to go back was to a semi finalist and even that twas very much the exception.

The problem in Clare is that the County Board sorted out the Senior Hurling Championship but then dusted off their hands and thought the job was finished.

By reducing the Senior Championship from 20 teams down to 16, they have made a really competitive strong competition out of it. They have also greatly narrowed the gap between Intermediate and Senior in that any team who comes up out of Intermediate, would expect to hold their own and be competitive at Senior - and that's all good.

However, for some reason, they just stopped there instead of following it through. So now, there is a huge gap between the serious contenders in Intermediate like Feakle (winners), Broadford, etc and the bottom of the pile.

If the County Board followed through on what they started and took the bottom 3 or 4 teams from Intermediate and put them down Junior A where they probably belong, then I think you'd find both championships would improve a lot.

And the thing is, I don't even think they would come up against much or even any resistance. But they seem to be instance on sticking to one up and one down every year and keeping an imbalanced intermediate championship

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

How are our clubs expected to compete overall in the Munster championships? Any genuine hopes of doing something special?

• Advertisement

How are our clubs expected to compete overall in the Munster championships? Any genuine hopes of doing something special?

I think Ballyea and Feakle both have a decent chance this weekend.

You'd imagine that Kilrush will be up against it and I'm not sure to be honest about Miltown.

I think Ballyea and Feakle both have a decent chance this weekend.

You'd imagine that Kilrush will be up against it and I'm not sure to be honest about Miltown.

agree , kilrush are in serious trouble regardless of home advantage , 9 of the east kerry team that lost to dingle in the kerry SFC semi final replay started for kilcumman 2 weeks ago , kilrush would be lucky to stay senior next year on some of there performances this year , the kerry side comfortably won the kerry intermediate championship and are a competitive division 1 league team in kerry to that game will be a write off

miltown if they decide to take this years munster championship serious they should progress to the munster final , but i doubt they would go much further

feakle are a decent senior team that ended up intermediate, they will be a handful for any team next year , like kilmaley last year i expect them to progress to the final , i dont know a whole lot about the waterford side though

fancy ballyea to beat ballygunner , both teams can be heavily reliant on frees at times , but given how sticky they have been at the back all year , and the vast improvement in several players since kevin sheehan took over has been impressive , they are full of inter county experience also so traveling down to waterford wont worry them

2 all stars , for john conlon and peter duggan

probably as fair as you could ask for from a clare point of view , but i really think browne deserved an nomination at least especially ahead of the 2 wexford backs nominated

delighted for both clare lads especially duggan who seemed to be the scapegoat for the management when things were not going well he had a great season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

2 all stars , for john conlon and peter duggan

probably as fair as you could ask for from a clare point of view , but i really think browne deserved an nomination at least especially ahead of the 2 wexford backs nominated

delighted for both clare lads especially duggan who seemed to be the scapegoat for the management when things were not going well he had a great season

Can't complain with that.

brave effort by the shams , played some excellent stuff before running out of steam in the last 10 minutes not the write off i predicted and they can head into next years senior championship with confidence and there heads held high after today

feakle make it into the munster intermediate final against charlivile in two weeks time , an impressive win down in waterford , a ray bane hatrick along with another fine outing by the excellent shane mcgrath saw them through to the final , i would give them a big chance in the final , in my opinion they are similar to kilmaley last year probably a side too good to be intermediate

https://twitter.com/KilcumminGAA/status/1058735096029691904

https://twitter.com/feaklegaa/status/1058733804863528962

The likes of Feakle, Whitegate, Barefield, Clarecastle are all good enough for Senior and if it was a 20 team championship would stay up comfortably, the way it is now it's very competitive which in my opinion is the way it should be

• Advertisement

The likes of Feakle, Whitegate, Barefield, Clarecastle are all good enough for Senior and if it was a 20 team championship would stay up comfortably, the way it is now it's very competitive which in my opinion is the way it should be

i would rate them higher then nearly all of them sides , there main problem is numbers , one of the contributing factors in them going down last year , 2 years ago they came fair close to winning the senior championship

has shane mcgrath been called up to the clare squad for 2019 ?

i would rate them higher then nearly all of them sides , there main problem is numbers , one of the contributing factors in them going down last year , 2 years ago they came fair close to winning the senior championship

has shane mcgrath been called up to the clare squad for 2019 ?

The draw and injuries can mean that almost any team could be either in the semi finals or relegation playoffs, with the increase in over county games teams without County players will have a big advantage.

I heard he's been given a gym program to work on a and all going well he'll be called up

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

Feakle V Chareville in Munster final

so Clonea [Waterford] beat Garryspillane [Limerick] in the quarter final and Feakle beat Clonea
    Charleville [Cork] beat Lixnaw [Kerry] in the other semi final

question is, who beat the Tipperary champions?

supernova5 wrote: »

so Clonea [Waterford] beat Garryspillane [Limerick] in the quarter final and Feakle beat Clonea

Lixnaw beat Cashel

supernova5 wrote: »

Thurles Sars won the Tipp final so Cashel who were runners up went through to represent Tipp, Lixnaw beat them by 3pts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement