Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Meath West 60.1% Yes vote.

So f***ing happy with that, especially being a bisexual teen from that constituency.

As a straight 30 year old I'm happy my fellow Royals said yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'm glad the country voted YES, at least from now on the Gay Community won't be able to play the poor victim card anymore. They'll have to let that go, and about time aswell.

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

What's with the miraculous medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm glad the country voted YES, at least from now on the Gay Community won't be able to play the poor victim card anymore. They'll have to let that go, and about time aswell.

Started off so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

RobertKK wrote: »

At least theyre being mature about it, good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Well, they show that if there's a God, he's pro yes

wakka12 wrote: »
    At least theyre being mature about it, good work.

Tweeting from Vienna, maybe that is why he went away to the Eurovision.
    Probably getting congratulated being Irish :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

This Facebook post kinda sums up today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Nobody knows how they got in there. They just appeared, magically miraculously.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

Come back to me when people stop being bullied and assaulted for their sexuality.

Paddy Manning is angry.

https://twitter.com/PaddyJManning/status/602092788516257792
    https://twitter.com/PaddyJManning/status/602093531860205568

No lost, he should just accept it and be happy the people decided, and not a court or a legislature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Redfish2004

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well it's normal for victims of discrimination to stop being victims when discrimination ends.

I don't agree, I knew gay people who were always treated just fine, and never discriminated against once. BUT they always had it in their heads 'oh everyone is out to get me', mentality. I always got the feeling they strived off being the outcast and victim in society.
    People won't agree with me, and that's fair enough. But that was always the impression I got anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Paddy Manning is angry.

No lost, he should just accept it and be happy the people decided, and not a court or a legislature.

Proud of the no campaign's 'inclusiveness'

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm so delighted with this. I'm bisexual, and thinking back on my previous relationships, the whole absurdity of this double standard and the gay panic going on this debate was really striking. In my relationships with women, it's been the same love, the same butterflies in my stomach, the same hopes and dreams for the future, the same pain and anger, the whole gamut of relationships, it's been the bloody same. I'm glad I no longer live in a country that insists "yeah but, it's not really the same"

My heart goes out to any young person who was struggling with their sexual identity during this debate. I was lucky enough to come from a very liberal family background and have supportive friends when I came out in my early twenties, but god almighty as a teenager it was difficult. I can't imagine how it'd feel to have to go through that at that age during these last weeks.

BUT! Today those teenagers (as well as all the other LGBT people in Ireland) have not woken up in a country that has legitimised their status as second class citizens, barred from entering a constitutionally recognised relationship that is open to their straight peers. And it's their fellow citizens who have made that happen. That's really nice. I love my boyfriend very much, but I really can't explain how great it feels to know that should I ever wish to spend my life with a woman, there's been a big step taken yesterday towards acknowledging that that relationship would not be a freak-show, or a curio, or a runner-up prize; that it'd in fact be no different from a straight relationship. Just a boring old marriage :D

I just listening to Claire Byrne and I have to say that my jaw has dropped a few times

Iona are saying it was a ten year campaign on behalf of yes campaign

Somebody needs to remind the panel it's 2,000 years of prescution on behalf of group think ..

Roll on the next abortion debate/referendum, I'm sure their views on "foreign money" and the like will remain consistent through both debates :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't agree, I knew gay people who were always treated just fine, and never discriminated against once. BUT they always had it in their heads 'oh everyone is out to get me', mentality. I always got the feeling they strived off being the outcast and victim in society.
    People won't agree with me, and that's fair enough. But that was always the impression I got anyway.

Making wide generalisations based on how you have interpreted the actions of some gay people who you know personally.
    Thought as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

Some people are that warped by religion. They think by putting different medals on things that they are "doing gods work". Even with the Yes winning, same people will preach "if that's the outcome, then it's gods will".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hopefully all the gays still hiding in the closet will come out now due to this vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Paddy Manning is angry.

Well the others appear to be taking it better. Nice to refer to it as "stupid won", whos the bullying abusive ones again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Genuine congratulations to the Yes side, impossible to argue with the ballot box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Paddy Manning is angry.

Y'know Robert, throughout this thread, I and many others have disagreed with you and challenged your opinions.

I may not agree with your opinions, but I do respect greatly how gracious you have been in the face of your chosen vote not being the majority vote.

Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Should be doing some work around the house and some shopping but sitting by my laptop reading all the updates on the results.
    It's a great outcome and I'm delighted to see people celebrating, it feels like summer has started and it's time to party. :)

I wish the people on RTE1 would stop making me cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

The point is that there is nothing stopping someone who does not have the required advertised experience applying for the job and then just not being selected for interview.

In a country where protest voting is a way of life, there is not enough checks and balances to prevent a charismatic muppet from being put forward for elections and the public being happy to elect him for the craic.
    Also would you take Bressie any more serious if he was 35?

Yes, if he had learnt about life along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

fiachr_a wrote: »
    I'm going to my local Jewish bakery next week to get a cake made up with red icing and a black swastika on top. We're all equal now so it should be no problem!

Where is the Jewish bakery? Is it in the Dublin area? I know someone who's been dying to source to authentic bublitchki and lekach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

David Quinn favourited me calling him a C**t on twitter. Does anyone know who to do a screen shot for android? Im not kidding

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Where is the Jewish bakery? Is it in the Dublin area? I know someone who's been dying to source to authentic bublitchki and lekach.

There was one off Camden Street somewhere.

http://www.bretzel.ie/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seriously though lads. Does anyone know whatever happened to Aine Chambers?

David Quinn favourited me calling him a C**t on twitter. Does anyone know who to do a screen shot for android? Im not kidding

Depends on the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Depends on the phone. Some Samsungs take them by wiping the side of your hand across the screen or holding the home and on/off buttons simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Seriously though lads. Does anyone know whatever happened to Aine Chambers?

She retired from her promotion work about 4 years ago and is now living a normal life. Sligo tourism has suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cerveja

Brilliant day, emotional day for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Wonder how long it will take the government to act on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Jester252 wrote: »
    Wonder how long it will take the government to act on this.

They reckon the first marriages between same sex couples will happen around christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I'm all over the shop today. Started tearing up in Supermacs. What a ****ing tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

They reckon the first marriages between same sex couples will happen around christmas.

I'm dying to attend my first one!

Y'know Robert, throughout this thread, I and many others have disagreed with you and challenged your opinions.

I may not agree with your opinions, but I do respect greatly how gracious you have been in the face of your chosen vote not being the majority vote.

Fair play to you.

I think it is important for people to stand up for what they believe. I am a firm believer in the ballot box and I always vote. I believe the ballot box is the final say, and there is no point being angry if the vote doesn't go as one would like.
    Everyone had an equal vote, so it is better to be happy that we have democracy, rather being bitter and angry over a result.
    I have never missed a vote in over 20 years, always vote to what I believe. Then I find I am at ease with myself and I can accept that others went to the polls, and voted for what they believed and they are at ease with how they voted.
    So when the result comes out, it doesn't bother me if my vote is on the losing side, I am just happy everyone has a vote and free to vote how they wish, and that gives us what people want.
    Thank you for your kind words, and again, congrats to Yes.

I'm all over the shop today. Started tearing up in Supermacs. What a ****ing tool.

Ah mate, don't worry.

I worked there, I saw what the kip was like with cooking.

I'd cry too if I had to eat their muck :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

As I predicted if the same sex marriage referendum was passed liberals would push for very liberal abortion Law's like the UK has; #repealthe8th already trending heavily on Twitter last few hour's; some people out there are not content with taking away a child's To a mother and father when possible, now want to take away a child's right to life also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭dasdog

Turnout in working class area is encouraging. Ridiculous constitution drafted by a mad man and audited by a high priest in 1937. Le France is on v5.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Wow 30 votes in it in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Tight in Donegal!!!

S.O wrote: »
    As I predicted if the same sex marriage referendum was passed liberals would push for very liberal abortion Law's like the UK has; #repealthe8th already trending heavily on Twitter last few hour's; some people out there are not content with taking away a child's To a mother and father when possible, now want to take away a child's right to life also.

Completely separate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

Donegal South West Results

Yes: 15,907 No: 15,874

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

S.O wrote: »

Ah yes, the liberals are up to no good as usual. If only scooby doo turned up in time to find that panti was just hitler in drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I'll be delighted to see an end to the type of thinly veiled homophobia that has been so prolific on boards.ie and other websites for the past couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Donegal South West Results

Yes: 15,907 No: 15,874

By a whisker but it's yes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think it is important for people to stand up for what they believe. I am a firm believer in the ballot box and I always vote. I believe the ballot box is the final say, and there is no point being angry if the vote doesn't go as one would like.
    Everyone had an equal vote, so it is better to be happy that we have democracy, rather being bitter and angry over a result.
    I have never missed a vote in over 20 years, always vote to what I believe. Then I find I am at ease with myself and I can accept that others went to the polls, and voted for what they believed and they are at ease with how they voted.
    So when the result comes out, it doesn't bother me if my vote is on the losing side, I am just happy everyone has a vote and free to vote how they wish, and that gives us what people want.
    Thank you for your kind words, and again, congrats to Yes.

I've had run ins with you in the past, but you know what, you're a class act.

edit: nvm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fiachr_a wrote: »
    I'm going to my local Jewish bakery next week to get a cake made up with red icing and a black swastika on top. We're all equal now so it should be no problem!

Let us never forget the time all those gays murdered six million odd straight people in such horrific ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

BEST DAY EVER EVER EVER :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement