Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

joleen100 wrote: »
    Hoping someone can advise.

After arriving home from Garda Station I noticed that 3 of the photos where smudged with ink from the stamp (front of the photos). I rang the Garda Station straight away and he was really nice about it and said that 1 good photo should be fine as the passport office will ring the station to confirm if they have any doubts. Can anyone tell me if the passport office will accept this?

The Garda did say say to come straight back with new photos and he will redo etc. But it was late and the kids were in bed. He told me when he was on duty next and said to come to station and he even thought he won't be at the desk they would call him and he can come in to redo again. I am going to try to this but understand it may not be easy. I know the easiest option would be to redo the form again but the passport is for my child and as I am not on good terms with my ex it is very difficult to get him to agree to go to the station in the first place never mind a 2nd time :(

Tried calling and e-mailing the passport office but no response (yet).

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks J :)

One good photo is grand (only 1 photo is scanned) but when you're sending in the photos separate the inky photos from the good one so it doesn't get ink on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Hi. Wondering would anyone have any suggestions or ideas for real last minute trips ? Any websites or physical travel agencies where you can book with 1 or less days notice and then go.

I know its possible to book direct with Aer Lingus or Ryanair but the prices would be very high to anywhere, so just wondering if anyone knows any ways to do last minute trips any other way.

So far I've just come up with options like Bus Eireann to places in Ireland or to Belfast. Also thinking of the sail/rail or coach to places in the UK which can be booked very close to departure.

(I might have some holiday days to take with very little notice which is why I can't book further in advance)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Hoping someone can advise.

After arriving home from Garda Station I noticed that 3 of the photos where smudged with ink from the stamp (front of the photos). I rang the Garda Station straight away and he was really nice about it and said that 1 good photo should be fine as the passport office will ring the station to confirm if they have any doubts. Can anyone tell me if the passport office will accept this?

The Garda did say say to come straight back with new photos and he will redo etc. But it was late and the kids were in bed. He told me when he was on duty next and said to come to station and he even thought he won't be at the desk they would call him and he can come in to redo again. I am going to try to this but understand it may not be easy. I know the easiest option would be to redo the form again but the passport is for my child and as I am not on good terms with my ex it is very difficult to get him to agree to go to the station in the first place never mind a 2nd time :(

Tried calling and e-mailing the passport office but no response (yet).

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks J :)

Post the photo's in that were smudged, but you could also post in another set of (non-signed) photo's.
    The passport office can then use the non-signed photo's if needs be, and use the smudged ones for identity purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 joleen100

Thank you both for your help.

I have 8 weeks until I travel (Middle of May) is this enough time if my application is rejected due to the photos?

Thanks J

Thank you both for your help.

I have 8 weeks until I travel (Middle of May) is this enough time if my application is rejected due to the photos?

Thanks J

Loads. Send in the application sooner rather than later though.

• Advertisement

Loads. Send in the application sooner rather than later though.

Application being posted tomorrow ... Thanks :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Hi folks. I'm applying for a first time adult passport next week and I have a couple of questions!

The only photographic ID I currently have is a Citizencard (http://www.citizencard.com). Does anyone know if this would be okay? I live in the north and have used it to travel between NI and England many times with no issue.

Also for proof of address, would letters from the housing executive and job centre be acceptable at all? Only utility bills I have are receipts from the oil delivery man lol. I'm pay as you go and dongle for internet, so no bills there. Electricity is keypad. I have old payslips (like two years old), would they work for proof of name? Bank statements still get sent to my mum's place :O.

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm applying for a first time adult passport next week and I have a couple of questions!

The only photographic ID I currently have is a Citizencard (http://www.citizencard.com). Does anyone know if this would be okay? I live in the north and have used it to travel between NI and England many times with no issue.

Also for proof of address, would letters from the housing executive and job centre be acceptable at all? Only utility bills I have are receipts from the oil delivery man lol. I'm pay as you go and dongle for internet, so no bills there. Electricity is keypad. I have old payslips (like two years old), would they work for proof of name? Bank statements still get sent to my mum's place :O.

Can't say for 100% if the citizen card will be accepted. The Passport Office will need to be satisfied that the ID is quite hard to get without verifying your identity. I would just post it in (the original), but I can't guarantee it will be accepted. Would you have a UK passport or any drivers licence?

Proof of address and/or proof of name can be any official correspondence. Pay slips of two years old should be ok for proof of name, and maybe a hospital appointment, or either the housing executive or job centre should do for proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Malee wrote: »
    Can't say for 100% if the citizen card will be accepted. The Passport Office will need to be satisfied that the ID is quite hard to get without verifying your identity. I would just post it in (the original), but I can't guarantee it will be accepted. Would you have a UK passport or any drivers licence?

Proof of address and/or proof of name can be any official correspondence. Pay slips of two years old should be ok for proof of name, and maybe a hospital appointment, or either the housing executive or job centre should do for proof of address.

I have no other photo ID at all :(. I had to get my citizencard witnessed by the police and photos signed, just like a passport so I don't really see why it shouldn't be but then that's no guarantee lol. Thanks for the help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I think what they do when they receive an application where someone doesn't have any photo ID, is that they'll post out a personalised "certificate of identity" (with your photo on it) to your address. You can then get this witnessed by the police and send it back to the Passport Office to prove your identity.

It's worth sending in the Citizen card anyway and seeing if it will be accepted. If it's not accepted, I'd imagine they'll send you out a certificate of identity to have witnessed and returned to them.

• Advertisement

I'd send in the citizen card itself and not a photocopy certified by police. The checker will want to see that the photos you send in and the photo on the citizen card match. That's hard to tell with a photocopy of an ID. Often with black and white photocopies the face just comes out all black so I don't find them particularly useful.

If they don't accept the card the passport office will send you a certificate of ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I'd send in the citizen card itself and not a photocopy certified by police. The checker will want to see that the photos you send in and the photo on the citizen card match. That's hard to tell with a photocopy of an ID. Often with black and white photocopies the face just comes out all black so I don't find them particularly useful.

If they don't accept the card the passport office will send you a certificate of ID.

Yup I was in a similar situation at one point and photocopied and verified my student ID. They wrote back asking the physical ID card. Wasn't any bother though.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

mikedublin wrote: »
    Hi. Wondering would anyone have any suggestions or ideas for real last minute trips ? Any websites or physical travel agencies where you can book with 1 or less days notice and then go.

I know its possible to book direct with Aer Lingus or Ryanair but the prices would be very high to anywhere, so just wondering if anyone knows any ways to do last minute trips any other way.

So far I've just come up with options like Bus Eireann to places in Ireland or to Belfast. Also thinking of the sail/rail or coach to places in the UK which can be booked very close to departure.

(I might have some holiday days to take with very little notice which is why I can't book further in advance)
    From Dublin Airport you can go to Brussels for 23 euro return at the moment. From Shannon you can go to Memmingen for 20euros, and to Paris for 15euros, as well as Poitiers for 19euros. Oslo and Basel are well under 35 euros too. All with Ryanair.

Just wondering if anyone from the passport office knows if a passport is at stage 2 of the process does this mean they have accepted the photos or is that the next stage of the process?

Thanks for your any help

J

Just wondering if anyone from the passport office knows if a passport is at stage 2 of the process does this mean they have accepted the photos or is that the next stage of the process?

Thanks for your any help

J

No, it's just the next stage of the process.

Thanks for your any help

J

A passport application goes through registration and scanning stages before it gets to go to someone to actually check the application, which is the last stage before either approving or rejecting an application. Until it is at this checking stage nothing is looked at in regards to photographs or submitted documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hi, my passport expires within 6 months. I read in the website that I can send a copy in and not the physical passport. Has anyone done this? If so what do I need to copy and Sen to them?

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Hi, my passport expires within 6 months. I read in the website that I can send a copy in and not the physical passport. Has anyone done this? If so what do I need to copy and Sen to them?

You just copy the ID page of your passport.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I checked my application last friday to see that it had been rejected and a letter would follow..

Tuesday afternoon I got a new shiny passport! :D

You just copy the ID page of your passport.

Thanks very strange how it's not mentioned on the actually application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

Does the passport office take any notice of any stamps a passport that has been sent in for renewal?
    Does the govt care if you have stamps from places that Ireland has not got good relationships with or places they don't want people travelling to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Does the passport office take any notice of any stamps a passport that has been sent in for renewal?
    Does the govt care if you have stamps from places that Ireland has not got good relationships with or places they don't want people travelling to?

No.

I don't know of any country Ireland has bad relations with anyway.

Ideally passport books should be sent in for cancellation.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

No. The Passport Office don't take note of any stamps in submitted passports.

It is a new policy that was only implemented in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    It is a new policy that was only implemented in the last few weeks.

It was on the explanatory notes being handed out in the London consulate 18 months ago and my renewal was processed in the Dublin office on that basis at that time.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It was on the explanatory notes being handed out in the London consulate 18 months ago and my renewal was processed in the Dublin office on that basis at that time.

Thanks and you just scanned the picture page?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I photocopied it which I suspect is what you mean. I did drop mine in personally but I don't think that made a difference. The inclusion of a photocopy was very familiar to consulate staff.

• Advertisement

Scanning is better. With photocopies it can be hard to see the face of the person on the passport. Sometimes the faces come out all black in the photocopy. You want to be able to see the face and that the photos sent in match the passport picture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement