Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=330

That's the link for the history forum if anyone wants to use it.
    If not, can we stick to mma in here please?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Yeah I always thought white supremacists where WASPs. In fact I'm pretty certain they weren't too fond of Catholics either

Edit. Apologies, only saw el guapos post now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

can.....not.......resist.......

http://jroan.com/HtIBWhite.pdf

pdf of a Book detailing the irish in America's murky history of racism. It wasn't just the WASP's, strangely and disappointingly....

(Sorry El Guapo!)

I don't remember a huge event like this being common knowledge for so long before and official announcement was made by the UFC. Is there any chance that this isn's such a sure thing after all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    can.....not.......resist.......

http://jroan.com/HtIBWhite.pdf

pdf of a Book detailing the irish in America's murky history of racism. It wasn't just the WASP's, strangely and disappointingly....

(Sorry El Guapo!)

I don't remember a huge event like this being common knowledge for so long before and official announcement was made by the UFC. Is there any chance that this isn's such a sure thing after all?
    Thanks for the PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Fall_Guy wrote: »

I don't remember a huge event like this being common knowledge for so long before and official announcement was made by the UFC. Is there any chance that this isn't such a sure thing after all?
    Nope, been confirmed with multiple sources, official announcement tomorrow during the NFL on Fox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mark085

ufc 197 i think its to be official in the 24 hours planned for march 5th
    do you think connor can do it ? dos anjos looks on top of his game
    i think connor can do it myself
    it will be a great fight to watch
    what are your toughts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Chase3 wrote: »
    Nope, been confirmed with multiple sources, official announcement tomorrow during the NFL on Fox.

What time it usually on ? Been googling and no news on it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

dave1982 wrote: »
    What time it usually on ? Been googling and no news on it yet

John Kavanagh just tweeted saying t minus one hour.

So soon I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

If he beats RDA and becomes champ across two weight classes, will he go down as one of the greatest, or is it too early in his UFC career? It may be early, but I think the way he has gone about his fights (i.e backs up his cockiness) and each fight has been against a progressively better fighter (with exception of Siver)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

If he beats RDA and becomes champ across two weight classes, will he go down as one of the greatest, or is it too early in his UFC career? It may be early, but I think the way he has gone about his fights (i.e backs up his cockiness) and each fight has been against a progressively better fighter (with exception of Siver)

All right there, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If he beats Robbie lawyer after RDA then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

winston82 wrote: »
    All right there, calm down.

Haha, my last part of that was cut...on mobile phone here. I'd also like to see some more fights and also how he returns after a loss or two

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He is the greatest ever if he ko's Dos Anjos imo,he has already proved himself as the FW's best by beating the best (cue the frankie moaning)he will single handily of beaten Mendes Aldo RDA in their primes ko after ko after going up weight,only jones is comparable who killed the LHW division in the modern era,and the modern era mma fighters are on another planet to the early champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Gamebred wrote: »
    He is the greatest ever if he ko's Dos Anjos imo,he has already proved himself as the FW's best by beating the best (cue the frankie moaning)he will single handily of beaten Mendes Aldo RDA in their primes ko after ko after going up weight,only jones is comparable who killed the LHW division in the modern era,and the modern era mma fighters are on another planet to the early champs.

You're not comparing like for like, mma has changed since early champions, before it was style against style. Now fighters are training in all aspects of mma.

I do agree though McGregor is the best of the active roster atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If he beats Robbie lawyer after RDA then yes

You do realise how young the sport of mma is?he will be the only person ever to hold two UFC belts at one time.Regardless of how quick he got to to it without doubt his name will be down as one of the greats should he manage it,but its a tall order imo.Dos Anjos is a big guy at fw,Conor can't afford to give away a single takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Greatest ever? No chance, not yet anyway. GSP cleared 3 generations of welterweights and went an insane amount of time without even losing a round. JBJ has been extremely dominant for about 4 years and is likely to continue that when he comes back. Anderson was untouchable for about 5-6 Years.

To compare to bj Penn who won 2 belts and dominated lightweight for much longer, he isn't on that level either yet.

You're not comparing like for like, mma has changed since early champions, before it was style against style. Now fighters are training in all aspects of mma.

I dont think a 145er to have ever competed can beat this Conor McGregor we are seeing,Aldo was the FW goat he was taken out,RDA has ran through everybody bar Khabib of late,so taking RDA out will be some statement to make.

Greatest ever? No chance, not yet anyway. GSP cleared 3 generations of welterweights and went an insane amount of time without even losing a round. JBJ has been extremely dominant for about 4 years and is likely to continue that when he comes back. Anderson was untouchable for about 5-6 Years.

To compare to bj Penn who won 2 belts and dominated lightweight for much longer, he isn't on that level either yet.

We are speaking hypothetically I know so bare with me but,GSP Jones 2 legends of mma but neither were as dominant as Conor,He puts them away every time with Ko after Ko so far,now hes going up a weight division in a bid to ko that champ,its unprecedented,that going up in weight is what edges it over Jones slightly for me,Gsp is just behind them.

newbbieb wrote: »
    You do realise how young the sport of mma is?he will be the only person ever to hold two UFC belts at one time.Regardless of how quick he got to to it without doubt his name will be down as one of the greats should he manage it,but its a tall order imo.Dos Anjos is a big guy at fw,Conor can't afford to give away a single takedown.

Yes I have a fair idea how old the sport of UFC is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Dtp1979 wrote:

Don't you mean the sport of MMA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    RonanP77 wrote: »

I have no idea who is trolling who here

I thought it was pretty obvious I was taking the piss

We are speaking hypothetically I know so bare with me but,GSP Jones 2 legends of mma but neither were as dominant as Conor,He puts them away every time with Ko after Ko so far,now hes going up a weight division in a bid to ko that champ,its unprecedented,that going up in weight is what edges it over Jones slightly for me,Gsp is just behind them.

You want to talk about dominance? GSP is the definition of it, won like 30 something rounds in a row and fought savage competition. Jones too, has only lost like 3-4 rounds since becoming champ and has finished guys like Rampage, Machida etc. And they did it for much longer than Conor. McGregor shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those guys plus others, even if he KO's RDA. People need to relax a wee bit.

You want to talk about dominance? GSP is the definition of it, won like 30 something rounds in a row and fought savage competition. Jones too, has only lost like 3-4 rounds since becoming champ and has finished guys like Rampage, Machida etc. And they did it for much longer than Conor. McGregor shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those guys plus others, even if he KO's RDA. People need to relax a wee bit.

We could get into gsps run his last 7 or 8 fights decision after decision lost his last fight as most agree but we'd be here all night p4p rankings means nothing its all personal opinion on who you rank as it,I think Conor is there with a finish of the 155 champ,just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Dtp1979 wrote:
    I thought it was pretty obvious I was taking the piss

You'd honestly be surprised the amount of people that think it's called UFC so I never can tell.

You'd honestly be surprised the amount of people that think it's called UFC so I never can tell.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a regular enough poster here so I'm sure most who saw my post understood my piss take.

We could get into gsps run his last 7 or 8 fights decision after decision lost his last fight as most agree but we'd be here all night p4p rankings means nothing its all personal opinion on who you rank as it,I think Conor is there with a finish of the 155 champ,just my opinion.

I think and hope that the majority of people wouldn't put them in the same breath, because their achievements aren't even comparable...(in my opinion, I suppose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

I think and hope that the majority of people wouldn't put them in the same breath, because their achievements aren't even comparable...(in my opinion, I suppose)

It depends what people like GSP won how many fights over a long period some of that was layed up with injury Conor is a far more active fighter.Also BJ is the only other fighter to take the risk of moving up for the champ v champ fights.

Jones and GSP have more impressive resumes than Conor but they both avoided the moves up Jones looks like he will eventually but GSP avoided Silva superfight,i think win or lose here Conor has etched his name with the greats for simply taking the fight that so many other champs avoided,its one of the reasons BJ is so revered he never was afraid to take the risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mghty Mouse for me. Not in a division full of killers like Conor but every part of his game is world class, wherever the fight goes against anyone he's got the advantage. He's the most complete mixed martial artist in the sport right now, closely followed by Jon Jones. Just my opinion, I'm sure many would disagree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement