Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Had dinner in Scoozi last night, some kind of cheap & cheerful, cosy goodness for a great price - :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Me and my two friends had dinner in Coqbull tonight, have to say we really enjoyed it! It was busy enough so we had to wait about 15 mins for a table. No problem with this but waitress could have asked if we wanted to order drinks or something while we waited. My friends had burgers (bacon bull and supreme bull which had bone marrow with it - bit unusual) and I had rotisserie chicken. We were given extra chips too at no charge. Dessert was fantastic, we each got something different and shared - icecream with cookies and caramel sauce, an eton mess style dessert and I had a rich chocolate pot with salted caramel and honeycomb. We were stuffed after it! Service was quick once we were seated. Loved the decor and the fact that you can see into the kitchen. My only gripe is that there's only one chicken dish on the menu, they could have a few more.

Tl;dr - Coqbull, good bull, could do with more coq.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ciaradx wrote: »

Tl;dr - Coqbull, good bull, could do with more coq.

:eek: (PM sent) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

totally agree - the food nothing special - its a pity the food does match the vibe of the place - which is great..

we need a DIEP in cork - like in Dublin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Wabisabi yesterday, second time I've been there for lunch. First time I had chashumen, this time a bonito based soup with udon noodles. Both of them were remarkably tasty and I'll definitely be back.

First time we also had starters which were alright but didn't blow my mind like the main did, especially as it came with "special sauce" aka mayo with something. Gyoza and mayo just doesn't do it for me as a combination. There's soy sauce on the table though, so I happily used that instead. Also the veg tempura was awesome, really nice, light and crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    totally agree - the food nothing special - its a pity the food does match the vibe of the place - which is great..

we need a DIEP in cork - like in Dublin..

I ate in the Anglesea St Ramen for the first time the other day.
    Went for their 6 before 6 deal (which they don't exactly go out of their way to highlight). The deal that day was for Chicken Khao Pad.

It was dull and flavourless, really. There was a big portion of rice and not much else. Well, ok, a reasonable amount of very small pieces of chicken but microscopic pieces of veg. The only real flavour was from the occasional morsel of celery that showed up. I don't recall any fresh coriander. To call this dish dull is being kind.
    At €6 it was filling, if nothing else. If I had paid €10.95 for this dish I would be fuming.
    If I was passing during the day and was hungry, I might just have another go at the €6 deal but I wouldn't go out of my way for their food, and I certainly wouldn't even briefly consider paying full price for anything there going on the flavour of this dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Met a friend there for lunch during the week just to try it out as well! It was packed, was glad we were there before one. Food was underwhelming I thought, Wagamama do a better job of that type of cuisine imho.

The ice-cream cone they give you with the meal was a nice touch except that when we tried the machine all we got was a dribble of unfrozen ice-cream mix :(

Having tried it now I won't be heading back.

Coincidently I had a very nice lunch in Gallo & Galetti in B'town as well last week, we were almost the only people there though. Hope they do good business in the evenings as it would be a shame if it didn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

How odd,
    I called into Ramen Thur night, my first visit, I had heard lots of good things, so said I'd try it out, it was very busy and I was having take out (next time I will order and collect)..

The place was jointed and I had no clue what I wanted, so after a short queue, I ordered, spring rolls and red thai massaman.

verdict: bit of a wait but that was ok, I understand they are doing the eating in house, take out and collect yourself.

but boy was it good, really good, not greasy, spring rolls were lovely.

and the curry was piping when I got home.. lots of it, couldn't finish it in face, but one of the best massamans, I've had in a while in Cork..

try it , I had a good experience but maybe I hit it on a good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you following me around opus? I ate from ramen and gallo and galetti in the last few weeks as well.

Ramen got a thumbs down I'm afraid, and I used to be a fan. Asked for extra chilli on everything, got no chilli anywhere. Not one shred, everything was bland. Veg was not fresh like the last time either, all limp. Boo.

Gallo and galetti big thumbs up. Food great, price great, atmosphere was better than the last time. Was jammers, midweek evening. Only thing I'd say is I didn't realise there were any specials until I was going out the door, because I was sitting with my back to the specials board and the staff didn't mention them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Any ideas for a fancy weekday birthday lunch for a foodie couple? Somewhere that would be ok with us bringing a toddler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    Any ideas for a fancy weekday birthday lunch for a foodie couple? Somewhere that would be ok with us bringing a toddler?

If you dont mind the drive Bunnyconellans in Myrtleville is lovely. Was there for lunch recently and again for dinner last night. There were kids there on both occasions and the food was lovely. :)

Dewdropdeb wrote: »

annies on sundays well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Was passing La Lavanda in Douglas a short while ago and they're reopening tonight.

annies on sundays well

wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. think they're food is totally overpriced for what you get, the premises is actually quite dirty and the service leaves something to be desired imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

JohnK wrote: »
    Was passing La Lavanda in Douglas a short while ago and they're reopening tonight.

I wonder what changes they've made.
    northgirl wrote: »
    wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. think they're food is totally overpriced for what you get, the premises is actually quite dirty and the service leaves something to be desired imo.

That's surprising, I've always found their service to be excellent and the food is very high quality.

Malari wrote: »

That's surprising, I've always found their service to be excellent and the food is very high quality.

I've been many times and I've found each time to be more disappointing than the next. At this stage I wouldn't go back there but there seems to be quite mixed reviews in general.

are you sure you are talking about annies??

Has anyone eaten anything in 6ix on bridge street? Was considering it for a bunch of people in a few weeks.

pwurple wrote: »
    Has anyone eaten anything in 6ix on bridge street? Was considering it for a bunch of people in a few weeks.

I haven't had brunch, just evening snacks, but the tacos were amazing. Great flavour and well filled.

• Advertisement

are you sure you are talking about annies??

positive

positive

gosh well i am a bit of a stickler and when it come to hygiene/food/service and its one of my fav's. how many times were you there?

Just spotted works on careys lane for a new place from Denis Cashman (augustines, gallo and galetti). It's to be called huguenot. Not much on the website yet... Hope it does well!

http://huguenotbistro.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Was at Milanos last nice, very very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was at Milanos last nice, very very disappointed

Was in there last week and had the same experience. Was one of the worst meals I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Good size pizza but barely any toppings, tiniest amount of cheese, and a goats cheese salad with maybe 2 - 3 cubes of goats cheese in it, our waiter was not nice at all either.

50 euro for a salad, Pizza, and 2 beers I expected better, 1st and last time.

Am I right thinking Milano's is the irish wing of the Pizza Express chain in the UK?

pwurple wrote: »
    Am I right thinking Milano's is the irish wing of the Pizza Express chain in the UK?

Yeah, that's right. I used to go there occasionally, but after a REALLY bad service experience a few years ago I haven't set foot in it since.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think they're suffering too because they're constantly emailing me discount codes, which is often the sign of a struggling restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Some other place jumping on the South Asian street food noodle bandwagon - opening on Douglas street where the Capwell Bar was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement