Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

I believe that 5 of the pp panel are also playing bruen.....

IF that's true (I haven't a clue one way or the other), but, if its true, there's something very wrong with that IMO. No way should a player who qualifies for PP be able to play at Bruen standard in the latter stages of the competition, I don't care what anyone says.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Russman wrote: »
    IF that's true (I haven't a clue one way or the other), but, if its true, there's something very wrong with that IMO. No way should a player who qualifies for PP be able to play at Bruen standard in the latter stages of the competition, I don't care what anyone says.

5 twelve handicappers with 5 six handicappers......possibly

Maybe they have an issue with their computer system when calculating CSS's....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Hi,

My team (Bray) have qualified for the final of the Metropolitan Trophy.

I was wondering is there anywhere I can check previous year finals results? With two legs of 9 at home and 9 away I wanted to see what sort of results win. We are home in the first leg, I don't know if this is much of an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I'm almost certain that the Spanish Point Pierce Purcill team had a massive recruitment drive last year.
    Team consisted of lads who used to play Junior Cup for other clubs (handicap brought up over a few years) and a few of the players who won the Purcell All Ireland for Newcastle West the year previous joined also.

I'd say they'd give plenty of Barton Shield teams a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

dvemail wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that the Spanish Point Pierce Purcill team had a massive recruitment drive last year.
    Team consisted of lads who used to play Junior Cup for other clubs (handicap brought up over a few years) and a few of the players who won the Purcell All Ireland for Newcastle West the year previous joined also.

surely that cant be right .. these lads are therefore going for 3 all Ireland titles in a row. Is that possible as I would have thought the GUI enforce a general cut on the winners each year so the handicaps are reduced and would deffo take people out of the equation then. Also if they won the all ireland some of them surely are winning stuff in the club as they are playing good golf and this would mean further cuts

• Advertisement

surely that cant be right .. these lads are therefore going for 3 all Ireland titles in a row. Is that possible as I would have thought the GUI enforce a general cut on the winners each year so the handicaps are reduced and would deffo take people out of the equation then. Also if they won the all ireland some of them surely are winning stuff in the club as they are playing good golf and this would mean further cuts

Not sure if the GUI cut winners. Maybe a couple of shots at the most. so if they were off 14 they will be eligible for the next year.
    Unfortunately the only thing most of these lads are winning are team comps. They won't go out and win your weekly open singles.

It's a shame, but that's the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

dvemail wrote: »

I'm not denying your claim is correct, but I can't believe clubs would go this far to win a pennant.
    There are plenty of guys playing Pierce Purcell who once played Junior Cup - but these guys would be hitting their 60's now, and probably last played Junior Cup 15 ~ 20 years ago.

i was playing in a team event yesterday..(played okay didn't feature in prizes) but I was playing with a guy from Ennis. Anyway Pierce Purcell came up and he mentioned Spanish points win. he said there are a number of guys from Woodstock playing with them now who have won Purcell with Woodstock. that would mean if previous posts are correct that this years Spanish point team consists in some parts of people who have played in the last three All Ireland winning Purcell teams ...Spanish Point, Newcastewest and Woodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

do you require 4 singles cards from the previous year to play in the Bruen and Pierce Purcell?

Yeah you need to have 4 qualifying comps played the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thebigbandit

like my previous posts i actually blame the gui for all u sandbaggers out there(me included) the handicaps secretarys in clubs have more power than they think, there is no way the lads ye are givin out about from spanish point should be allowed to come from junior cup standard to an eligeble handicap for pierce purcell....but the system lets u do that, just dont play in singles and keep your head down. but i see they were beaten in the jimmy bruen semi final by lisalan gc...so how good can they be??

• Advertisement

like my previous posts i actually blame the gui for all u sandbaggers out there(me included) the handicaps secretarys in clubs have more power than they think, there is no way the lads ye are givin out about from spanish point should be allowed to come from junior cup standard to an eligeble handicap for pierce purcell....but the system lets u do that, just dont play in singles and keep your head down. but i see they were beaten in the jimmy bruen semi final by lisalan gc...so how good can they be??[/QUOTE]

they had won the Purcell the day before. that had to take something out of them the lisselan match was tight as well

I'm not sure I believe the junior cup thing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

like my previous posts i actually blame the gui....

I actually blame you

ya that sounds a bit much, still had to out there and win it though, im sure they werent the only lads at that stage of the comp playing off bogey handicaps...but its always the winners who get the grief in these competitions.....

ya that sounds a bit much, still had to out there and win it though, im sure they werent the only lads at that stage of the comp playing off bogey handicaps...but its always the winners who get the grief in these competitions.....

Every club has one or two I agree. But..

Last year Spanish Point won every match they played 4-1 bar one match they won 3.5-1.5.
    So out of the 8 rounds to be played to win an All-Ireland, only 1 pairing managed to take a point off this team.
    1 match lost from the 40 that was played between the 5 pairings.

That just isn't right.

its not but thats what this comp has been like for as long as i can remember, and a lot of older guys who usuallly play in the pierce purcell arent able for 36 holes in one day, must suit the young spanish point team also, its a young mans game any more i think, has any team ever won it twice before i wonder??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 irishgolfer

Cant wait for Paddy Power to open the book on Peirce Purcell for 2014. Judging by everything that is being said about Spanish Point here, looks like it could be easy money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I enjoyed my debut pierce purcell experience this year (albeit brief! ! ) but not so sure I would enter next year. The bandits are quite simply everywhere. What I'm hearing about Spanish point is very off putting too. Is there any hope of the gui looking into the whole thing and maybe making some changes? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Some great golf played in strandhill yesterday, junior cup guys were especially playing super golf from what I saw. Course in great shape too. Next year can't come quick enough to get a crack at making a team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Cill Dara are 6-3 up after home leg against Enniscorthy hope its enough heading into second leg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

South zone qualifiers for junior cup are on in Athlone next year, we're already gearing ourselves towards it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

connacht results
    athenry beat galway in junior cup
    strandhill beat tuam in jimmy bruen
    enniscrone beat castlebar in pierce purcell.

Roll on carton house 3rd week in september, cant wait

http://www.gui.ie/connacht/news/aig-cups-shields-finals-update

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Corrstown beat ardee in the barton cup semi final. Anyone know what the story is with Druids Heath v athy? No result up so I assume it was postponed due to weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

J6P wrote: »
    Corrstown beat ardee in the barton cup semi final. Anyone know what the story is with Druids Heath v athy? No result up so I assume it was postponed due to weather...

Match was abandoned due to weather, gui have another week due to some messiness. Due to be played this sat at 2pm

Cill Dara won provincial towns cup

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Cill Dara won provincial towns cup

11.5 - 6.5 to the Lilywhites..
    Great result, celebrations were good last night

mafc wrote: »
    11.5 - 6.5 to the Lilywhites..
    Great result, celebrations were good last night

And the Dub

pp have opened a book on gui comps.....spanish point 1/2 to win pierce purcell!!! never seen odds this short for one of these comps. any value out there i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

pp have opened a book on gui comps.....spanish point 1/2 to win pierce purcell!!! never seen odds this short for one of these comps. any value out there i wonder?

Sorry - new to things here.

How could somebody be that much of a favourite for what is a handicapped competition ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Amazing odds alright. Suggests there has never before been a better collection of bandits playing for one team team in the competition.
    Surprising the GUI still endorses what are patently sham competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

I'm thinking of lumping on them even at 1/2......I've seen them play and any of their pairs on their team wouldn't look out of place in glen eagles ! Bookies have been burnt before by these lads......

Advertisement