Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've just heard that Moate beat Killeen and Castle Barna in the Senior Cup on Saturday but then lost to Naas (host club) on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

2 over off 16 is a ****ing joke.

Thats great scoring id say

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have the GUI ever published or looked in to the winning H/C's of teams in cups/ shields?

What sort of standard wins Senor cups?

Logic/common scenes would suggest for a team to be playing well enough to win Purcell/Bruens etc.should have each dropped a shot or two over the season

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Ronney wrote: »
    Have the GUI ever published or looked in to the winning H/C's of teams in cups/ shields? Yes with out doubt, I'm sure they have.

What sort of standard wins Senor cups? Not relevant as there is no lower limit.

Logic/common scenes would suggest for a team to be playing well enough to win Purcell/Bruens etc.should have each dropped a shot or two over the season. Perhaps, but how would you apply it fairly when the result of the match is as dependant on how good or bad your opponents play as it is on how the winning team plays?.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ronney wrote: »
    What sort of standard wins Senor cups?

The 6 players who played for Sligo in the whole of the Senior Cup this year played off .... +2, +1, +1, +1, 1 and 1, i believe. I'm open to correction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I believe the 5 players from Carton House who beat Dun Laoghaire in the local final on Sunday had a combined total handicap of plus 7 compared to Dun Laoghaire's combined of 3, a difference of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Jimmy Bruen Shield - Moate GC lost 3-2 v Beaverstown GC, played at Edenderry yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Cill dara beat headford to reach prov town final.
    All home games won all away matches called in.y

Athenry and Galway qualify out of the south zone section of the Junior Cup in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Rikand wrote: »
    Athenry and Galway qualify out of the south zone section of the Junior Cup in Connacht.
    Roscommon are in there too!!!!

• Advertisement

Redriddick wrote: »
    Roscommon are in there too!!!!

yeah, they got through from the North zone. Sligo too :) Congrats Roscommon :D

Athlone Beat Portumna in the morning, but we were beaten by Athenry in the evening which put them through. Athlone lost 2 matches on the 18th and 1 on the 19th. We won one on 19 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Connacht finals in my home club,Strandhill - not playing enough to be involved in the bruen myself.

Saturday August 9:

10.00 – 11.21hrs Irish Junior Cup Provincial Semi-Finals
    10.00 – 10.36hrs Roscommon Vs Galway
    10.45 – 11.21hrs County Sligo Vs Athenry

11.45 – 11.21hrs Pierce Purcell Shield Semi-Finals
    11.45 – 12.21hrs Castlebar Vs Galway
    12.30 – 13.06hrs Roscommon Vs Enniscrone

13.30 – 14.51hrs Jimmy Bruen Shield Semi-Finals
    13.30 – 14.06hrs Strandhill Vs Castlebar
    14.15 – 14.51hrs Tuam Vs Oughterard

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Spanish Point beat Thurles 4.5/.5 in the pierce Purcell Munster Final on Saturday. they are the current Holders of the all Ireland. some achievement with a small membership to be able to field a winning team two years in a row. don't know how different the team is this year but they must be very proud.

Lisselan Won the Bruen. they are only a nine hole course as well. They beat Tralee in the final 3/2. deciding match went to the 21st. that was tight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Druids heath vs athy and corrstown vs ardee in the Barton cup semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Bray beat Castle in the semi-final of the Metropolitan trophy yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Spanish Point beat Thurles 4.5/.5 in the pierce Purcell Munster Final on Saturday. they are the current Holders of the all Ireland. some achievement with a small membership to be able to field a winning team two years in a row. don't know how different the team is this year but they must be very proud.

How is that possible ? Thought the remaining matches were called in once they had 3 points on the board ? Meaning 3.5 / 1.5 was the biggest margin possible ?

I'd say they must be very proud alright :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Sligored wrote: »
    Connacht finals in my home club,Strandhill - not playing enough to be involved in the bruen myself.

Saturday August 9:

10.00 – 11.21hrs Irish Junior Cup Provincial Semi-Finals
    10.00 – 10.36hrs Roscommon Vs Galway
    10.45 – 11.21hrs County Sligo Vs Athenry

11.45 – 11.21hrs Pierce Purcell Shield Semi-Finals
    11.45 – 12.21hrs Castlebar Vs Galway
    12.30 – 13.06hrs Roscommon Vs Enniscrone

13.30 – 14.51hrs Jimmy Bruen Shield Semi-Finals
    13.30 – 14.06hrs Strandhill Vs Castlebar
    14.15 – 14.51hrs Tuam Vs Oughterard

Sligored, Any advice for playing strandhill? I presume matches will be off the blue tees?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

How is that possible ? Thought the remaining matches were called in once they had 3 points on the board ? Meaning 3.5 / 1.5 was the biggest margin possible ?

I'd say they must be very proud alright :cool:

biggest margin would be 4-1. 3 wins and then 2 "halves".

However what may have happened is that 2 matches were over and then two matches finished at the same/similar time giving the 4.5-.5 scoreline.

amazing achievement for such a small membership club to be able to find a winning team two years in a row, especially what with cuts from winning it last year and then their resultant cuts from their good golf over the last two years. Must be a conveyor belt of mid handicap talent available to them.

biggest margin would be 4-1. 3 wins and then 2 "halves".

However what may have happened is that 2 matches were over and then two matches finished at the same/similar time giving the 4.5-.5 scoreline.

amazing achievement for such a small membership club to be able to find a winning team two years in a row, especially what with cuts from winning it last year and then their resultant cuts from their good golf over the last two years. Must be a conveyor belt of mid handicap talent available to them.

just saw that the bruen and Purcell were separate days (normally same day) couldn't understand why. Spanish Point were in the Bruen Munster semi final as well....Must have had guys playing in both

that is what happened. Thurles believed they had a very good team. Must have froze or something.Is it unusual to see a winning margin like that for teams that got to the final?

• Advertisement

that is what happened. Thurles believed they had a very good team. Must have froze or something.Is it unusual to see a winning margin like that for teams that got to the final?

Don't know is it that unusual to see a winning margin like that ? Think it was something similar last year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thurles v Spanish Point in the Pierce Purcell..., they should have had that on TV, I'd say there were a few lads that could've won the Open on both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Sligored, Any advice for playing strandhill? I presume matches will be off the blue tees?

not sure about bruen or jun cup but the pierce purcell will be off the whites.
    no trouble at the back of greens in strandhill and a lot of greens have a back stops , hit the extra club if not sure.
    Wind plays a big part in strategy in strandhill so i dont want to say lay up here or hit an iron off the tee but if you can hit a low 4 iron, its a better percentage shot than a 3 wood.
    Course in great shape , greens like carpets but bunkers bad , flooded during winter and were never dug out , its like cement mix underneath.
    Practice facilities poor , use brees driving range near ransboro church , about 4 miles away on back road into strandhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

just saw that the bruen and Purcell were separate days (normally same day) couldn't understand why. Spanish Point were in the Bruen Munster semi final as well....Must have had guys playing in both

I believe that 5 of the pp panel are also playing bruen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Sligored wrote: »
    not sure about bruen or jun cup but the pierce purcell will be off the whites.
    no trouble at the back of greens in strandhill and a lot of greens have a back stops , hit the extra club if not sure.
    Wind plays a big part in strategy in strandhill so i dont want to say lay up here or hit an iron off the tee but if you can hit a low 4 iron, its a better percentage shot than a 3 wood.
    Course in great shape , greens like carpets but bunkers bad , flooded during winter and were never dug out , its like cement mix underneath.
    Practice facilities poor , use brees driving range near ransboro church , about 4 miles away on back road into strandhill.

Thanks, btw do they have a stroke saver?

I believe that 5 of the pp panel are also playing bruen.....

that's half the team..has anyone ever won both bruen and Purcell even provincial in the same year....hard enough to get one strong team together let alone two

Not really sure how they are doing it tbh. Heard a few of them have distance membership...... Don't live near Spanish point at all. Also heard some of them previously represented a good team from woodstock in ennis. I was only told this by fellow golfers. The standard of their play is exceptional. Played against one of their pairing this year and when one of them told me he was off 13 I couldn't believe it. Fantastic ball striking and virtually straight every time. He reminded me of my regular playing partner for casual rounds. ...... and he plays off 5.....

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Not really sure how they are doing it tbh. Heard a few of them have distance membership...... Don't live near Spanish point at all. Also heard some of them previously represented a good team from woodstock in ennis. I was only told this by fellow golfers. The standard of their play is exceptional. Played against one of their pairing this year and when one of them told me he was off 13 I couldn't believe it. Fantastic ball striking and virtually straight every time. He reminded me of my regular playing partner for casual rounds. ...... and he plays off 5.....

do you require 4 singles cards from the previous year to play in the Bruen and Pierce Purcell?

I think but I'm not certain. I'm sure someone here will confirm.

• Advertisement

do you require 4 singles cards from the previous year to play in the Bruen and Pierce Purcell?

I think its 3 ?

Spanish Point actually got DQ'ed after the 1st round of PP last year, cause I believe that one of their players didn't meet this 3 or 4 cards rule from the previous year. But as luck would have it, the club found a card or something and the ruling got overturned and they were allowed back in and won the whole thing !

Has their team changed much over the last 2 years does anyone know ?

Advertisement