Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Are many peoples teams started up practicing yet, or has weather/enthusiasm put things off so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Are many peoples teams started up practicing yet, or has weather/enthusiasm put things off so far?

First Garden trophy match has been cancelled twice. Very annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

The Eastern Garden County Trophy matches have been going ahead in some pretty shocking weather. Most clubs are 3/4 matches in.

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    The Eastern Garden County Trophy matches have been going ahead in some pretty shocking weather. Most clubs are 3/4 matches in.

There's only 3 clubs in the West group so hopefully the matches should be played over the next few weekends. Forecast is ok for this weekend so fingers crossed.

There's only 3 clubs in the West group so hopefully the matches should be played over the next few weekends. Forecast is ok for this weekend so fingers crossed.

Did Lisheen Springs not come back in?

• Advertisement

Did Lisheen Springs not come back in?

We did. West group is Lisheen, Tulfarris and Blessington Lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.gui.ie/connacht/c-ship-inter-club/connacht-inter-club-draws

Connacht inter club draws. I am team captain for Athlone this year for Barton Shield and Senior Cup and hopefully I'll be playing on the Junior Cup team. Anyone in connacht that i might bump into at any of these ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

Folks,

Thinking of putting my name in for consideration for the Pierce Purcell Team at my club.

I got my initial handicap last April which was 20.1 and during 2013 I managed to get in down to 16. At present I'm at 16.8 so I wondering can someone that has experience of the Inter-club Team scene confirm if I'm eligible to put my name in for consideration from a handicap point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Macker1 wrote: »
    Folks,

Thinking of putting my name in for consideration for the Pierce Purcell Team at my club.

I got my initial handicap last April which was 20.1 and during 2013 I managed to get in down to 16. At present I'm at 16.8 so I wondering can someone that has experience of the Inter-club Team scene confirm if I'm eligible to put my name in for consideration from a handicap point of view.

Yea your well in the mix at 16, anyone over 12 is eligible (lowest last year) most teams are made up of 12-16/17 handicappers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

Ronney wrote: »
    Yea your well in the mix at 16, anyone over 12 is eligible (lowest last year) most teams are made up of 12-16/17 handicappers

Is there any limit or cut-off on the higher end of the scale given that I'm presently off 16.8

The reason I ask is that when I looked at the form posted on the wall in the clubhouse it a handwritten note stating a max handicap of 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Macker1 wrote: »
    Is there any limit or cut-off on the higher end of the scale given that I'm presently off 16.8

The reason I ask is that when I looked at the form posted on the wall in the clubhouse a handwritten note stating a max handicap of 16.

No upper limit officially, but clubs might set there own in order to keep the size of their panel manageable and be competitive as all Q Rounds and Matchs are played off scratch. Anyone posting a few rounds in the next month or two in the mid to low 80's should be in with a good shot of making the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

My club is 12-18. My pro asked me the other day if I was interested in putting my name forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

shane 007 wrote: »
    My club is 12-18. My pro asked me the other day if I was interested in putting my name forward.

Ah definitley give it a rattle. Matchplay golf is class and it's a sweet feeling winning a match for your club!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

How about anyone tipping a team to come through their section in any gui events.
    Paddy power do odds on the week of the events.
    some knowledge of teams might be a chance to make a few quid.
    Have always backed my home club to win our senior and barton section in west munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

Newcastle west for the pierce purcell !!! :)

Agree Newcastle west seem very strong at the moment in pierce purcell.
    Ill go for doneraile for the bruen.
    tralee for junior cup.
    Killarney for Barton.
    doneraile or killarney for senior

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Agree Newcastle west seem very strong at the moment in pierce purcell.
    Ill go for doneraile for the bruen.
    tralee for junior cup.
    Killarney for Barton.
    doneraile or killarney for senior

Out of pure morbid curiosity, how does one go about assessing the potential of a group of teen handicappers in a nearby club? How do they "seem very strong at the moment"?

they seem very strong because they won the all ireland 2 yrs ago and i believe got to the munster semi or final this yr.
    On the other events it is just an educated guess from being involved in some of the events and past season records.
    Only 15-20 clubs involved and as small as 10-12 when in senior/barton events and everyone knows in the sw munster section there are some very weak clubs in these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Out of pure morbid curiosity, how does one go about assessing the potential of a group of teen handicappers in a nearby club? How do they "seem very strong at the moment"?

Are they the PP team that allegedly beat some other local club's Junior Cup team in a warm up last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

Spanish point beat Ncw in the Munster finals in Bandon. If they have a similar team this year they will be strong again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Russman wrote: »
    Are they PP team that beat Spanish Point's Junior Cup team in a warm up last year ?
    I heard that rumour at the time and got a good laugh from it and genuinely thought no one could be gullible enough to believe it.

Lisheen Springs bt Castle in Barton Cup 3-2.

Lisheen Springs bt Castle in Barton Cup 3-2.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Barton Cup

Dun Laoghaire bt Old Conna
    Glencullen bt Bray

Winners to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

Supposed to be playing a barton cup match later.

Am I allowed to practice on the course before the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

J6P wrote: »
    Supposed to be playing a barton cup match later.

Am I allowed to practice on the course before the match?

Yes you can. You're allowed practice on the course before any matchplay competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Cill dara bt moyvalley 3-2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Cill dara bt moyvalley 3-2

How does that work with Moyvally and the course closed? Club is still in existence?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Yes you can. You're allowed practice on the course before any matchplay competition

Yeah its normally the case but the munster branch had a rule last year for cups and shield matches that practice on the day of the match was not allowed. Dont know if still applies this year or if other provinces do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

St Annes Beat Howth yesterday in the Barton

Advertisement