Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Moyvally played in rathcore

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate beat Glasson in the Barton Cup on Saturday and now play either Longford or Castlebarna in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Moate beat Glasson in the Barton Cup on Saturday and now play either Longford or Castlebarna in the next round.

Andy, you're playing Longford. Our boys lost at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Barton Cup - Dunmurry Springs 3-2 Rathdowney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Barton cup - Enniscorthy beat Carlow 3-2 in a very close contest, right down to the 20th hole in the last match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Castlewarden beat Lucan on the 19th in the Deciding match in the Barton:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Powerscourt beat Dun Laoghaire in Metro Trophy today

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

any results in munster for the Jimmy bruen held at the weekend
    conditions seemed horrendous everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭paulos53

East Cork won their section in South Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

any results in munster for the Jimmy bruen held at the weekend
    conditions seemed horrendous everywhere

Clonmel beat Ballykisteen 3-2.

• Advertisement

Cill dara beat heritage in barton on sun

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Portarlington beat Enniscorthy in Barton cup yesterday. Playing Gowran next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Spanish Point won the Clare section in Kilrush GC beating Woodstock in Rd 1 and getting a walkover against Kilkee in the second round before beating Shannon in the final. Conditions were indeed horrendous and it absolutely beggared belief that the GUI decided that it would be play as you lie in the rough and lift clean and "replace in exact spot" on the fairway. The course was a bog, it was lashing rain and gales were blowing. The decision led to a ream of rules to be followed which were read out on the first tee. I wonder what conditions need to be to have preferred lies because it sure doesn't get much worse than what prevailed all day Saturday. My understanding is that Kilkee refused to play the second round having spent five hours on a traffic-ridden course and then being sent out 45 minutes after finishing (which in fairness is normal) having gone to 19 in two matches. Their last match would have been going out at 5.30 and would not have likely finished in the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Druids Heath beat Tulfarris on Sat 4-1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thebigbandit

so spanish pt won their jimmy bruen section, i wonder how many of last years pierce purcell team lined out? from what i hear half the team are junior cup standard. i know ive said im a sandbagger in the past but i know someone who came up against them last year and im told the same team would win the j bruen, not forgetting the purcell and bruen teams are not that far apart when it gets to latter stages. my advice...STAY AWAY FROM GUI COMPS!!!!! too much attention

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

so spanish pt won their jimmy bruen section, i wonder how many of last years pierce purcell team lined out? from what i hear half the team are junior cup standard. i know ive said im a sandbagger in the past but i know someone who came up against them last year and im told the same team would win the j bruen, not forgetting the purcell and bruen teams are not that far apart when it gets to latter stages. my advice...STAY AWAY FROM GUI COMPS!!!!! too much attention
    Would you care to translate that into readable english whilst basing it solely on fact? It would make for easier reading although probably not as interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Spanish Point beat Charleville in a tightly contested North Munster Final of the Jimmy Bruen 6/5 6/5 & 7/6

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Connacht Barton Shield qualifiers were on the weekend there.

I was captain of the Athlone team and we were leading qualifiers after the Saturday Strokeplay with a combined score of 152.

When it came to the matchplay, we were up against Athenry in the Semi-Finals...... they were just way too strong for us. Both our pairings were +4 each for 16 and 15 holes respectively, but Athenry's pairings were -2 and level par.

Athenry then went and beat portumna in the final.

Bit of a write-up on it here on the GUI website.

http://www.gui.ie/connacht/news/athenry-crowned-barton-shield-winners-in-connacht

Senior Cup now in 11 days, which I am captain for again. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Rikand wrote: »
    Connacht Barton Shield qualifiers were on the weekend there.

I was captain of the Athlone team and we were leading qualifiers after the Saturday Strokeplay with a combined score of 152.

When it came to the matchplay, we were up against Athenry in the Semi-Finals...... they were just way too strong for us. Both our pairings were +4 each for 16 and 15 holes respectively, but Athenry's pairings were -2 and level par.

Athenry then went and beat portumna in the final.

Bit of a write-up on it here on the GUI website.

http://www.gui.ie/connacht/news/athenry-crowned-barton-shield-winners-in-connacht

Senior Cup now in 11 days, which I am captain for again. Bring it on!

I believe our Purcell team are playing ye on Saturday for the Zone final!!
    Am up your way tomorrow afternoon for a puck around,should be lovely,need plenty of sun cream!!!

Moate won their Jimmy Bruen section over in Rathdowney last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Moate won their Jimmy Bruen section over in Rathdowney last weekend.

Were you playing down there yourself Andy? Gowran were beaten by Rathdowney in the semi finals. Moate seemed to be very strong.

Redriddick wrote: »
    I believe our Purcell team are playing ye on Saturday for the Zone final!!
    Am up your way tomorrow afternoon for a puck around,should be lovely,need plenty of sun cream!!!

You definitely will need the sun cream! Enjoy the game in Athlone, course is in excellent shape, though greens are a little slower than they have been of late.

Good luck in the zone final, though not too much luck, Athlone are going to win! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Totally agree. Played against their pp team this year. If their handicaps are genuine then I should be playing off 19 or 20 and not 13... This isn't sour grapes btw before someone comes on here and says it.

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Were you playing down there yourself Andy? Gowran were beaten by Rathdowney in the semi finals. Moate seemed to be very strong.

No Yettie, I'm not involved in any teams. I do well do get to play once a week, much more practice and playing time required to be committing to team events.

The quarter final pairings for the Jimmy Bruen are - Moate v Beaverstown, Lucan v Killeen, Waterford v Glen of the Downs, Carton House v Ardee. Venues, dates and times TBC.

Rikand wrote: »
    You definitely will need the sun cream! Enjoy the game in Athlone, course is in excellent shape, though greens are a little slower than they have been of late.

Good luck in the zone final, though not too much luck, Athlone are going to win! :D

Btw, Well done roscommon in the Pierce Purcell. Deserved winners :)

Connacht Senior Cup qualifiers were on the weekend there in Connemara golf club.

Serious spot but the wind on Saturday was unreal. It was carnage out there for a lot of the teams.

I was captain of the Athlone team and we finished in the top 4 (4th) on Saturday to qualify for the matchplay stages today.

When it came to the matchplay, we were up against Co. Sligo in the Semi-Finals...... and they were just too strong for us. Their team was everyone scratch or better and our lads were averaging 2-3 handicaps. But we gave them a real good run, our first match lost on 19, our second match was coming up 18, 1up. But the last 3 matches were a little bit down. Overall far better than we were expected to do.

Sligo then went ahead and won their first 3 matches against Galway in the final.

Well proud of the lads though. Nobody rated us to do anything and we go leading qualifiers for the Barton shield and qualify for Senior Cup aswell. Hopefully get asked to be Captain again next year because it's been class :)

Full results here for Connacht Senior Cup.

http://www.gui.ie/connacht/results/results/aig-irish-senior-cup

Junior Cup now in 13 days in Oughterard, which I am playing in and as fun as its been, looking forward to not being captain. :)

Bring it on!

Cill dara into cemi final beat rathcore 5-4 in prov towns.
    Great win super team effort.
    Unlucky rathcore played some great golf just not your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Totally agree. Played against their pp team this year. If their handicaps are genuine then I should be playing off 19 or 20 and not 13... This isn't sour grapes btw before someone comes on here and says it.

Spanish Point are in the Munster 1/2 Finals this year of the Jimmy Bruen, Pierce Purcell and Country Clubs (Munster Competition for clubs less than 18 holes). They won the Pierce Purcell and Country Clubs last year. I will be surprised if they dont win all 3 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was out for a few pints with a non(ish) golfing mate a couple of weeks ago.

Mate: how's the golf ?
    Me: Great, moving in the right direction. Down to 16 now.
    Mate: I was playing with a work colleague off 16 there last week at one of our work outings. He shot +2 over.
    Me: Any chance he's a member of X club?
    Mate: how'd you guess that?

Lad in question had absolutely no shame telling him about the craic that goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PARlance wrote: »
    Was out for a few pints with a non(ish) golfing mate a couple of weeks ago.

Mate: how's the golf ?
    Me: Great, moving in the right direction. Down to 16 now.
    Mate: I was playing with a work colleague off 16 there last week at one of our work outings. He shot +2 over.
    Me: Any chance he's a member of X club?
    Mate: how'd you guess that?

Lad in question had absolutely no shame telling him about the craic that goes on.

2 over off 16 is a ****ing joke.

Advertisement