Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

You're not blaming other drugs but are blaming alcohol and then state we need to learn the effects of recreational drugs?

Of which i expressly included alcohol as it commonly isnt listed as "recreational drug" by most people. Thanks for paraphrasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Paully D wrote: »
    Was at the gig myself and only heard about the trouble today.

I had actually commented to a few people on how 99% of the people I had spoken to up there were just there to enjoy it and have a laugh, so was very surprised to hear about the stabbings and death(s). From my own experience it was one of the quietest gigs with regards to trouble that I've been at in a long time.

EDIT - The organisation was very poor though. The queue to get in was basically pushing and barging for 30 minutes +. It also would have been very easy for anyone who didn't have a ticket to get in. I don't really know much about these things and I'm not from the area, but surely the organisers could have found a better and more effective way to get people in?

Overall I really enjoyed it and didn't see any trouble at all.

Same! We were at the gig too and had a fantastic time! A lot of the trouble seemed to happen at the far left of the stage, from what I've heard. We were up the front for Calvin Harris and moved back a bit and we were in an area where people were just dancing and having a laugh, so pushing, shoving, we had space...it was great!

Sad to hear about the injuries and deaths, but honestly I didn't come across any violent behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Until people acknowledge that drugs such as MDMA, Ecstasy, Marijuana, speed, coke etc are not the problem here then we will continually be wondering why incidents like this weekend happen. The reason is very simple: alcohol. Mix alcohol with any of the above and there is the potential for what happened happening. Even mix alcohol with sleeping pills jor antibiotics and mayhem can ensue.

The sooner people in this country wake up to the effects of the recreational drugs out there (including alcohol) then we wont get anywhere.

Im sorry pal but that argument is pure b*llox

Its nothing but a drug addict or heavy users attempt to justify their drug use.

Take a walk around some of the flat blocks in the inner city and ask the residents what drugs has done to their community.

Narcotics drive addiction and mental issue, social deprivation, and Im sure you know damn well that drugs like coke and speed can induce mad behaviour that leas lead to violence, so can drink but nowhere near level narcotics do.

Id bet my life if was drugs related those stabbings last night

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

I had one of the best nights of my life there last night. However I did get punched in the face an kicked in the stomach by 2 different scumbags,
    :D class!

you should move down the country mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

Brian Stoking is right imo........ alcohol is the common factor here:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Of which i expressly included alcohol as it commonly isnt listed as "recreational drug" by most people. Thanks for paraphrasing

No you stated:
    Until people acknowledge that drugs such as MDMA, Ecstasy, Marijuana, speed, coke etc are not the problem here then we will continually be wondering why incidents like this weekend happen.
    Then you said:
    The sooner people in this country wake up to the effects of the recreational drugs out there (including alcohol) then we wont get anywhere.
    So what one is is exactly? That we need to learn the affects of recreational drugs or that it's not the fault of other drugs bar alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Take a walk around some of the flat blocks in the inner city and ask the residents what drugs has done to their community.

Narcotics drive addiction and mental issue, social deprivation, and Im sure you know damn well that drugs like coke and speed can induce mad behaviour that leas lead to violence, so can drink but nowhere near level narcotics do.

I'd bet my life that the drug responsible for 99.99% of voilence is alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Yet crime is lower now than when young lads were sent to borstal for any little thing they did, how does that work?

Rubbish. Crime is much higher now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Until people acknowledge that drugs such as MDMA, Ecstasy, Marijuana, speed, coke etc are not the problem here then we will continually be wondering why incidents like this weekend happen. The reason is very simple: alcohol. Mix alcohol with any of the above and there is the potential for what happened happening. Even mix alcohol with sleeping pills or antibiotics and mayhem can ensue.

Sorry but that's complete bullsh*t, many people are able to get locked/high and not become violent psychopaths.

If you turn into a murderer when you do drugs, it means it's already hidden under the surface but you keep it under control when you're sober. That's a problem. How do people end up that way? Is it to do with upbringing? The media? Genetics? What?

We should be concentrating on creating a generation which doesn't have those tendencies in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Rubbish. Crime is much higher now.

You've statistics to back that, I trust?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

attacks are more vicous now,going to concerts when i was a teen was a completely different kettle of fish..
    why bring knives to concert events?another thing,i dont think the security were doing their job that night,were they intimidated by the scummy crowds i wonder?

attacks are more vicous now,going to concerts when i was a teen was a completely different kettle of fish..

I'd suggest your memory is a bit flawed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i dont think the security were doing their job that night,were they intimidated by the scummy crowds i wonder?

doubt it , MCD security is usually pretty tight

Nodin wrote: »
    I'd suggest your memory is a bit flawed there.
    Maybe it's violent crime are more common amongst civilians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

:D class!

you should move down the country mate.

I am from down the country?

Getting punched and kicked were two annoying incidents that were over in about 2 seconds and had hardly any bearing on my night. I obviously wasnt saying getting kicked and punched was amazing.
    The music and atmosphere in general was fantastic.

Also every single scumbag I noticed was from Dublin, no excpetion.

• Advertisement

You've statistics to back that, I trust?

I certainly do.

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/2262/2144/1/jssisiVolXXVII_135175.pdf

See figure 1 (page 138) showing the explosion in crime since the 1970s onward.

See here also: http://www.crimecouncil.gov.ie/publications_ncc_summary_crimeinireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

Is it true that 3 have died from overdoses at last nights concert?

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'd bet my life that the drug responsible for 99.99% of voilence is alcohol.

I dont equate an old man having a pint with his dinner with some scumbag who buys white powder of unknown origin off some even lower scumbag then shoves it up his nose.

Give me the environment of a pub with pints flowing over some banter over sticking toxic subtances up your nostrils having a manic episode

I work in a pscyh hospital mate. alcoholics are a pushover to treat over psyhcotic drug addicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

thebaz wrote: »
    what is it about stabbings and sunshine in Dublin - we moan about the poxy weather most of the time - then we get a blast of sunshine , and there is a new idiotic fad to pack knives instead of suncream - sickening - back in my day it was hand to hand combat amongst punks , skins, nothsiders/ southsiders - very rarely stabbings, a few broken noses was about it

Is that right Ponyboy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I wouldnt say their a pushover ive met some fierce hyper aggressive hobos in the past in a wet hostel not easy to deal with i can tell you!

• Advertisement

R.F. wrote: »

I heard the report on the radio just now, but they only said one person died and they're trying to identify him.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Is that right Ponyboy?

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

E is the dangerous designer disco-infiltrating drug the tv shows of the 80s predicted. Became a must-take accompiament for most, to enjoy the 'music' what about the guy who has to collect his dole accompanied by his mother, lurching head-down brain- damaged and de-sensitized by one too many. Senses perma-dulled, unable to feel anythhing whatsoever anymore having got so high - that's the price; artificial buzz to artificial music in artificial environment. Robotic music/Robotic poeple. Don't be a sucker - don't be a hipster. Don't take e; don't attend raves. Nobody says you have to, ignore the hip herd majority and do yores own thing

thebaz wrote: »
    ?

Just a reference to 'The Outsiders' Was meant in jest :)

R.F. wrote: »

http://www.thejournal.ie/phoenix-park-three-males-dead-swedish-house-mafia-overdose-513781-Jul2012/

I certainly do.

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/2262/2144/1/jssisiVolXXVII_135175.pdf

See figure 1 (page 138) showing the explosion in crime since the 1970s onward.

See here also: http://www.crimecouncil.gov.ie/publications_ncc_summary_crimeinireland.html

Indeed.
    It is encouraging to note that the current trend in recorded crime reflects the trend in nonindictable and indictable crimes, which has fallen since the 1980s. In the eight years from 1990 to 1998, non-indictable crimes fell by 11 per cent, while indictable crimes fell by two per cent and the total recorded crime rate fell by nine per cent

The fact is that crime rates in Ireland are greatly related to emmigration. The lowest rates ever with in the 1950's. Violent crime in Europe generally has been dropping since the 1800's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

So there's nothing to say that 2 of the 3 were even at the concert?

One died at the gig.
    Meanwhile, gardaí are also appealing for information on the identity of a man who was at the concert but died in Connolly Hospital last night.
    The man, who was in his early 20s, sought medical attention at the concert, before being taken to hospital.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0708/stabbing-phoenix-park-concert.html

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Also every single scumbag I noticed was from Dublin, no excpetion.

yep :rolleyes:

Indeed.

The fact is that crime rates in Ireland are greatly related to emmigration. The lowest rates ever with in the 1950's. Violent crime in Europe generally has been dropping since the 1800's.

How does that support your claim that crime rates were higher at the time when borstals were in existence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

You know things are bad when some of local scumbag element who live around the rough estates beside the park are digusted by the element there last night.

As one junkie said to me earlier 'bleedin vermin at that yoke man'
    Lol
    LH Pathe wrote: »
    Raves will always bring the ****ing idiot element; end-of.
    It wasn't a rave because it's 2012, not 1990. Plus, raves played good music.
    immersive wrote: »
    So many uneducated know it alls here. Typical narrow minded Ireland.
    I think "know-it-all" might be a bit rich. :p
    The type of music has nothing to do with all the scumbags turning up
    It most definitely did. Snoop and Tinie Tempah are deemed "bad-ass" by those eejits here. There was no such hassle at Stone Roses - so of course it was the music that attracted them.
    *sigh*
    Why the hell do people have to equate "scumbag" with class, welfare, money, location, accent etc?
    I agree, but you cannot compare life in Sandycove to life in an area with a lot of problems and intimidation, harassment etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

MCD are fucked now I'd say.

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

E is the dangerous designer disco-infiltrating drug the tv shows of the 80s predicted. Became a must-take accompiament for most, to enjoy the 'music' what about the guy who has to collect his dole accompanied by his mother, lurching head-down brain- damaged and de-sensitized by one too many. Senses perma-dulled, unable to feel anythhing whatsoever anymore having got so high - that's the price; artificial buzz to artificial music in artificial environment. Robotic music/Robotic poeple. Don't be a sucker - don't be a hipster. Don't take e; don't attend raves. Nobody says you have to, ignore the hip herd majority and do yores own thing

How does that support your claim that crime rates were higher at the time when borstals were in existence?

I didn't make that claim. However in the 1860's when there was imprisonment for a vast range of minor offences, crime was higher than it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Have just seen this other video posted on another site...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3ms6wsYLI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

Let people drink til 6 but don't sell drinks above a certain strength at certain times? People should be able to go out without being treated like children but strong drinks shouldn't be sold? Huh?

I've seen this work in Australia amongst other countries. A bar is opened all night. You can buy alcohol all night but the sale of cocktails is stopped at a certain hour, shots for example at another hour. It's just one example. Maybe it wouldn't work but this whole excuse of cheap alcohol and lets close venues even earlier is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

http://greginmotion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/03-cool-story-bro.jpg

No you stated:
    Then you said:
    So what one is is exactly? That we need to learn the affects of recreational drugs or that it's not the fault of other drugs bar alcohol?

I am not talking about the societal effects of recreational drugs. I am talking about their actual effects. If there was no alcohol at that gig yesterday (impossible i know) and everyone was just off their heads then i sincerely believe that we wouldnt be talking about the violence that occurred. Alcohol is the common denominator.

To others speaking about an old man enjoying his pint, thats not what i'm talking about. Alcohol makes the most timid people aggressive. But, as it's legal and taxable, it's consistently ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Arciphel wrote: »
    Have just seen this other video posted on another site...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3ms6wsYLI

That security guard is awesome at pushing! Just look at him go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

where did you get this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Onixx wrote: »
    It wasn't a rave because it's 2012, not 1990. Plus, raves played good music.

maybe to you, purist organic grafter bastard like me insists 'no'.

yesterday was pop. what's popular. What's the norm now, a rank computerized amalgmatin of rap and rave. With 'rockstar' fantasies being fulfilled by employing session musicians that facelessly lend some musical validity albeit itself, by numbers

I didn't make that claim. However in the 1860's when there was imprisonment for a vast range of minor offences, crime was higher than it is now.

Now the ball is in your court to back that claim up with statistics.

I dont equate an old man having a line at the local hotspot after his dinner with some scumbag who buys some hooch of unknown origin off some even lower scumbag then shoves it down his throat.

Give me the environment of my sitting room with joints flowing over some banter over sticking toxic subtances down your gullet having a manic episode

I work in a pscyh hospital mate. drug addicts are a pushover to treat over psyhcotic alcoholics

FYP = the difference culturally between something being legal and illegal

I would agree alcohol is likely to be the causal factor for a lot of the violence that has people saying "They were high as kites Joe." Easier to blame the illegal substance. A heroin/crack/meth/prescription drug (e.g. benzo)/even pot addict and a person who takes an amphetamine/line of coke/smokes a joint now and again are not even comparable - there is a tendency for some to lump all drugs into one homogenous mass, however there are so many variables.

Cocaine mixed with alcohol can cause awful aggression though.

It's disingenuous however to compare an auld fella having a pint in the local to a junkie, as if those are the only two scenarios. Of course former is preferable to the latter.
    But what about: an alcoholic, barely able to function, and a person, perfectly healthy and doing fine for themselves in all aspects of life, who takes one or two E every few months at big events?

immersive wrote: »
    I've seen this work in Australia amongst other countries. A bar is opened all night. You can buy alcohol all night but the sale of cocktails is stopped at a certain hour, shots for example at another hour. It's just one example. Maybe it wouldn't work but this whole excuse of cheap alcohol and lets close venues even earlier is rubbish.

at a guess , I would say 80% of the alcohol that caused any of the major problem yesterday was bought cheaply in supermarkets - as an ex problem drinker I find the demise of the Irish bar is a bad thing for Irish society , it has simply been replaced by the gluttonous binge drinking of cheap off licence booze

• Advertisement

maybe to you, purist organic grafter bastard like me insists 'no'.

yesterday was pop. what's popular. What's the norm now, a rank computerized amalgmatin of rap and rave. With 'rockstar' fantasies being fulfilled by employing session musicians that facelessly lend some musical validity albeit itself, by numbers

I'm not the only one who didn't manage "Finnegans Wake", I trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

sink wrote: »
    I have been to many dance music gigs over the years and I've never seen trouble at the majority of them, but they would usually be attended by a maturer audience. There is a subset of dance music that attracts a very young crowd 17-21 and it's usually the current chart toppers. At that age they seem to care less about the music and are more attracted by the alcohol and drug fuelled revelry, with less experience and knowledge of how to handle it.

This is so true. Shm are commercially successfull now. Not to mentioned the production work on other chart music. Will I am s new song is produced by shm. It's the likes of them etc that attract the young 17, 18 year olds. A lot of them will continue drinking into oblivion (the irish way) while more will continue to discover electronic music and educate themselves as they grow up.

I am not talking about the societal effects of recreational drugs. I am talking about their actual effects. If there was no alcohol at that gig yesterday (impossible i know) and everyone was just off their heads then i sincerely believe that we wouldnt be talking about the violence that occurred. Alcohol is the common denominator.

To others speaking about an old man enjoying his pint, thats not what i'm talking about. Alcohol makes the most timid people aggressive. But, as it's legal and taxable, it's consistently ignored.

No, it's not. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry, but you don't.

I've seen completely sober scumbags beat people within an inch of their lives. I've seen drunk people help others when they fall down.

Alcohol doesn't make timid people violent. It reduces inhibitions. It makes it more likely than violent scumbags will be violent scumbags. Alcohol isn't a common factor. Scumbags are the common factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

df1985 wrote: »
    oh piss off.

I was at the gig last night, yes i was on drugs, the only altercation i had was putting my arms around random people all loved up, and 9am tomorrow ill be back beihind the office desk working 9-5 paying my taxes like everyone else.

Dont tar everyone with the same brush.

On a serious note, I hope the people stabbed ok. and for the folks who overdosed...they only wanted a good time like everyone else. god help their families.

You are an idiot

No, it's not. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry, but you don't.

I've seen completely sober scumbags beat people within an inch of their lives. I've seen drunk people help others when they fall down.

Alcohol doesn't make timid people violent. It reduces inhibitions. It makes it more likely than violent scumbags will be violent scumbags. Alcohol isn't a common factor. Scumbags are the common factor.
    Too much alcohol can most definitely make reasonable people rowdy and aggressive though. What that person is saying is: recreational drugs are less likely to do this (with the exception of cocaine I'd think) because they have a "loved up" effect.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement