Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Lidl are reopening tomorrow at 8am..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Fantastic looking store in fairness. Mr Price a large UK discount store also opening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Great news. Suffering Lidl withdrawal symptoms (well ok I have Mitchelstown and Cashel and Carrick and....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Fantastic looking store in fairness. Mr Price a large UK discount store also opening

When is the Mr Price store opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Just wondering does anybody know when the Christmas lights are being switched on or are they switched on all ready?
    Thanks In advance!
    I was in around the Town last Saturday and noticed that the Xmas lights weren't even up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

tippspur wrote: »
    I was in around the Town last Saturday and noticed that the Xmas lights weren't even up yet.

They are on down Mitchel Street and look lovely. Very festive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Lights in town are being completely replaced this year, including all the cabling between each strand. Narrow St was completed first I believe

This is a bummer with Christmas around the corner. "It's been announced that SuperValu in the centre of the South Tipp town will shut down next month" http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/jobs_blow_for_clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Passed it this evening and it looked open or ready to open with lights on and signage in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Passed it this evening and it looked open or ready to open with lights on and signage in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

pooch90 wrote: »

Just saw on Facebook Mr Price is opening on the 10th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

This is a bummer with Christmas around the corner. "It's been announced that SuperValu in the centre of the South Tipp town will shut down next month" http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/jobs_blow_for_clonmel

Have no doubt this is mainly down to the rates in Market Place, there will be nothing left there soon which is a crying shame. Unfortunately the people we elected seem more concerned about wasting money by bringing back the Town Council than actually tackling the rates issue throughout the county indeed from what Ms.Ambrose said in the Vincent Brown peoples debate she doesn't see anything wrong with the high rates in Clonmel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It's quite frankly appealing that that fine store will have to close because of the high rates being imposed on the area. That area used to be great to walk through, I think there's only one or two shops there now. Most of the business is being done outside town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It's quite frankly appealing that that fine store will have to close because of the high rates being imposed on the area. That area used to be great to walk through, I think there's only one or two shops there now. Most of the business is being done outside town.

I would be interested to find out what percentage of overall "operating cost" that rates represent.
    How high are rents in what is left of Market place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Would think this is more of a commercial decision by SuperValu than anything to do with rates tbh. Currently in Clonmel there is a massive Tesco a massive new Lidl M&S Aldi SuperValu in Poppyfield 2 Dunnes Stores and a host of smaller discount grocery stores. I accept what others have said about high rates but regardless once SuperQuinn was taken over by SuperValu the writing was on the wall. Anybody got any suggestions for what could be done with the site now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Post 3861 gives detail on the rates for market place and the Town in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Supervalue seem to be cutting towns with two stores down to one store. Happened in Newcastle West, Tipp town, Athy and now Clonmel. Not really surprised that one of the stores closed and if I was Supervalue I'd definitely be keeping the out of town store with free parking open.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Great news to see Mr Price opening soon, creating new jobs & filling a building that was lying idle for years.
    On the other hand,very sad news for staff in SuperValu market place losing their jobs so close to Christmas. Hopefully some of the staff will get an opportunity to work in SuperValu poppyfields.
    Market place is gone down the drain.
    That area used to be buzzing. Its shame that its been left fall apart. Feel sorry for the business left there. The landlords don't seem to care about it or its tenants. A lick of paint on the outside isn't going to attract new tenants. I think the whole area needs to get redeveloped. Build an indoor shopping centre or roof the area that's open. Some of the units could be combined to attract larger shops. I hope the council & the landlord wake up & do something before its all gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would think this is more of a commercial decision by SuperValu than anything to do with rates tbh. Currently in Clonmel there is a massive Tesco a massive new Lidl M&S Aldi SuperValu in Poppyfield 2 Dunnes Stores and a host of smaller discount grocery stores. I accept what others have said about high rates but regardless once SuperQuinn was taken over by SuperValu the writing was on the wall. Anybody got any suggestions for what could be done with the site now?

Yeah I think there's an element to that but I think if the rates were lower you choose the town centre store. I wouldn't be surprised to see people who would have shopped in the Supervalu in market place head out to Lidl/Dunnes direction now rather than to the poppy fields.

The two cafes in that area will really feel the pinch now without the weekly shoppers heading in for a bit of lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Am i the only one who found that store to be completely useless ?. And is not shocked its closing down ?. I was there a few times over the summer and loads of the stuff was gone off on the sheffs and loads of things where black LoL.

I fell sorry for the people who are losing the jobs but no shock it was going as was told by a manager who moved to the Kilkenny store during the summer that it was going to go really soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Knock it down and make a car park out of it, a few good coffee shops in the area would benefit, I can think of 5 within a three minutes walk.

More car parking space needed for, Post Office, swimming pool, library, and Council offices and band hall and of course a very good Museum.

Bad idea first day to give planning permission for a supermarket at that location, with no facility for deliveries etc. So maybe widen that street which goes out to Kickham Street.

I think a good case could be made for a compulsory purchase order as Super Value are now very close to being Ireland's number one retailer!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Supervalue seem to be cutting towns with two stores down to one store. Happened in Newcastle West, Tipp town, Athy and now Clonmel. Not really surprised that one of the stores closed and if I was Supervalue I'd definitely be keeping the out of town store with free parking open.

One in Carlow gone too. I remember Superquinn expanded out of Dublin about 1994 and they opened three stores in Carlow, Kilkenny and Clonmel. The shopping centres were all developed by the sane developer and similar tenants. Carlow and Clonmel have had big out of town developments since, Kilkenny less so. The SV store here had a major revamp last year by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Xenophile wrote: »
    Knock it down and make a car park out of it, a few good coffee shops in the area would benefit, I can think of 5 within a three minutes walk.

More car parking space needed for, Post Office, swimming pool, library, and Council offices and band hall and of course a very good Museum.

Bad idea first day to give planning permission for a supermarket at that location, with no facility for deliveries etc. So maybe widen that street which goes out to Kickham Street.

I think a good case could be made for a compulsory purchase order as Super Value are now very close to being Ireland's number one retailer!

Knocking a supermarket and development to make way for a soulless car park is a very bad idea and will do nothing to help the town. That's 1960's planning. I don't know Clonmel very well but the town centre was reasonably good if I remember. Could they get another retailer in? Perhaps TK Maxx or something? (Not sure if they're there already).

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

agree with the road where the deliveries are made, can be a very tight spot when people are also double parking to post letters.

wouldn't be knocking it down however, its not much more than 20 years old - why would you want a car park there (there is a ver large car park already there). Town centre car parking isn't as bad as people like to make out imho

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

A bit of radical thinking wouldn't go amiss, rather than trying to repurpose an unsuitable building.

Knock it, replace with a multi storey car park with some retail/office frontage. Turn car park behind Mr Bumbles into green space and playpark.

Cover the Market Place pedestrian area with canopy (similar to what's proposed for the Barracks Site). This would encourage eateries to open with outside seating, generally attract shoppers in bad weather. Landlord (single owner of most of these units?) should be glad to contribute.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Green space and playpark where the carpark is would be a brilliant idea. A canopied area too! Although what is badly needed too and could bring business is a proper concert/theatre venue, if that could be combined with carpark, which it probably can, Clonmel is not Tokyo ffs. Plenty of scope for underground parking etc... and a higher building in that spot wouldn't be a massive visual shock, what with high enough Church and the Mill type tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

a concert/theatre venue had been mooted for the army barracks redevelopment but it seems to have been dropped - so it seems like a project like that is a long way away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

a concert/theatre venue had been mooted for the army barracks redevelopment but it seems to have been dropped - so it seems like a project like that is a long way away

Do you know why or who dropped it zurbfoundation ?

I don't remember seeing anything about a venue there, but I didn't read everything thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

I agree that it's unlikely rates had anything to do with Supervalue closing. It was on a downward spiral since Superquinn sold out to that property company who were totally unsuitable to run a supermarket chain (do you remember the horrible black redecoration job that was done on the store after they took over).

It's sad though.I remember the razzmatazz and excitement when Superquinn opened in Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

cml387 wrote: »
    I agree that it's unlikely rates had anything to do with Supervalue closing. It was on a downward spiral since Superquinn sold out to that property company who were totally unsuitable to run a supermarket chain (do you remember the horrible black redecoration job that was done on the store after they took over).

It's sad though.I remember the razzmatazz and excitement when Superquinn opened in Clonmel.

I was in there this morning, and the staff are all putting on a brave face, but it's devastating for them. Closing 22/01/2016. I would also say that it will have a terrible knock-on effect on O'Tuama's and the other cafe. And the little newsagents, although I recommend everyone buy their Yankee candles in there :) Good value!!

Advertisement