Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage..making a tool of himself as usual.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I think McSavage makes a lot of us irish uncomfortable because they would rather he didn't talk about sensitive issues like the church abuse.
    I suppose people don't like being reminded about it so therefore feel anger toward whoever is talking about it.

Im seeing a lot of hatred aimed a McSavage but Tiernan is hilarious because sure he puts on the stupid exaggerated culchie accent? Daft.

Is the hatred more to do with the way McSavage talks or the content of his routines? Disliking the guy because he has a bit of a d4 accent is fcuking stupid reason in the first place.

If he upsets your fragile little world, there are 500 other tv channels to choose from. Theres always the good life on uk gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    The Savage Eye was incredible. Can't wait for the next series!

When's it out Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

IS it not a fact that McSavage is just a back up guest who appears if someoone drops out at the last minute. That would appear to be the case the last night too. He had Zero material ready, had no specific reason to be there & looked like a freak.
    I have heard him doing his thing on the streets around the country & he is quite good at that although alot of people do hate him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tech77 wrote: »
    When's it out Dave?

Lazy response!!

Yes the savage eye was one of RTE's best moments of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

PauloConn wrote: »
    I think Dave McSavage is hilarious

erroneous.

• Advertisement

"Brass eye man here".
    LOL.

Chris Morris is great, don't get me wrong, but why do people reflexively quote Brass Eye like that- like it's flawless and sacred.

Brass Eye, as great as the satire is, is not flawless.
    In the controversial child abuse hysteria satire it satirizes the unhelpful public hysteria/hypocritical redtops/moronic self-serving celebrities (and the perpetrators themselves IIRC) beautifully but in other parts if you watch it, it gets confused as to what exactly its poking fun at- the victims or the perpetrators/media hysteria. It does actually conflate the two.

So:
    Beautiful, brilliant satire in parts (the Phil Collins noncesense stuff is inspired for example), but flawed nonetheless and not necessarily the funniest thing ever because of that.

Its a good comparison actually. Remember the absolute outrage after Brass eye was broadcast?
    It triggered probably the biggest negative viewer reaction about a tv program ever.

Although the content of the savage eye isn't quite as risky as brass eye it is one of those shows that you either get it & think is hilarious or you think its sh!te because it makes you uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

When's it out Dave?

Ahhhh, for a second there you actually had me very confused! because my name does happen to be David (not mcsavage or andrews though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not sure if it's the material or subject matter that's annoying the people of this thread:
    Is disabled comedy funny when the comedians are disabled?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbmdZFAxKc

as i said, the savage eye was one of my favourite RTE shows last year, but it wasn't perfect. It was also very well produced, so i can only imagine there other hands there refining Mcasavages work because left to his own devices i would imagine every sketch would continue until everybody was offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Although the content of the savage eye isn't quite as risky as brass eye it is one of those shows that you either get it & think is hilarious or you think its sh!te because it makes you uncomfortable.

FWIW IMO the Dave McSavage thing is not in any way comparable to Chris Morris or Brass Eye.

They are both risque humour- that's where the similarities end.

Just that Brass Eye was actually good satire.

Compare that to the Dave McSavage thing which huffed and puffed a lot, with not much of great comedic merit being produced.

Having said all that, Brass Eye, although an example of how satire should be done, was also a bit unfocussed and flawed at times.
    It's not perfect, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I never really payed too much attention to the whole David McSavage thing, until I seen him that show on Saturday night, the guy is obviously brain damaged in some form.

Just when I thought I couldn't hate someone more than I do Tommy Tiernan along comes this prick.

The that other vile pox bottle (no not Gerry Ryan) Max Clifford looked ready to kill McSavage.

• Advertisement

FWIW IMO the Dave McSavage thing is not in any way comparable to Chris Morris or Brass Eye.

They are both risque humour- that's where the similarities end.

Just that Brass Eye was actually good satire.

Compare that to the Dave McSavage thing which huffed and puffed a lot, with not much of great comedic merit being produced.

Having said all that, Brass Eye, although an example of how satire should be done, was also a bit unfocussed and flawed at times.
    It's not perfect, that's all.

FWIW. whats that mean?

No such thing as the perfect comedy show/series i suppose. I just think compared to rubbish like Katherine lynch, that Maeve Higgins show, the unfunny Jason byrne & of course the caricature of a culchie; Tommy Tiernan, McSavage is way ahead of all of them. IMO.

Brass eye is a bit of a hit & miss effort like savage eye but at least the bits that are funny are very very funny.
    Unlike utter rubbish like The Katherine Lynch show which just isn't funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Degsy wrote: »
    On the plus side for RTÉ, Mr O'Connor is to be congratulated for his decisive intervention after Mr McSavage's heroine addict comment./QUOTE]

What's wrong with him prefering a priest to a heroine addict? I think most non-hysterical people would. Statistically, I'd say the priest would be the safer choice, though I have no statistics.

How dare he try to bring a little common sense into proceedings! We're all having a great time demonising priests. They're all paedophiles you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 betagamma

There are many things Dave Mc Savage can stand accused of but cashing in on family ties is not one.Anyone who has seen his street performances in temple Bar and Grafton st will tell you he's right down there with the crowd entertaining then for the price of a dvd, if you're interested. he is as acccessable and honest a comic as this place has ever produced, if satire is too close to the bone for some they should use their discretion, use the frank(zappa) and switch the channel! easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

betagamma wrote: »
    There are many things Dave Mc Savage can stand accused of but cashing in on family ties is not one.Anyone who has seen his street performances in temple Bar and Grafton st will tell you he's right down there with the crowd entertaining then for the price of a dvd, if you're interested. he is as acccessable and honest a comic as this place has ever produced, if satire is too close to the bone for some they should use their discretion, use the frank(zappa) and switch the channel! easy.
    Oh cool, I didn't know remote controls work on street performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know my comedy and I know what's funny, its not the subject matters it's the fact that Dave McSavage is about as funny as a bubbling boil on the rim of yer arse!

I hate giving this man attention :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I know my comedy and I know what's funny, its not the subject matters it's the fact that Dave McSavage is about as funny as a bubbling boil on the rim of yer arse!

I hate giving this man attention :mad:
    It's the anger that he inspires in others that makes me laugh, I find angry people really funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ljohnson

Dave is a legend love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's the anger that he inspires in others that makes me laugh, I find angry people really funny.

The bigger the angry vein on the forehead is, the bigger the laughs! :pac:

I honestly don't care for this guy, saw his work, didn't like it and haven't heard from him in a while until today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

betagamma wrote: »

Satire is fine. Taking the piss out of and ridiculing people walking past minding their own business isn't. It's low and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

[QUOTE=Glenster;65025917 Statistically, I'd say the priest would be the safer choice, though I have no statistics.
    .[/QUOTE]

Classic:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I used to not like him, accidently saw him on tv the other night and I like him now. he's not that bad and he came across as a humble guy tho you can see the insecurity alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Taking the piss out of and ridiculing people walking past minding their own business isn't. It's low and petty.

Oh! It's that muppet. I read the whole thread and was about to defend him and now I hate him.

he might have made fun of me once

/gets coat, leaves

/cries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jaysus, Degsys gone 'holy joe'.....
    Degsy wrote: »
    Minister for Communications Eamonn Ryan must now intervene to ensure taxpayers and license payers money is not used for gratuitously offensive and insensitive broadcasts that belong in the gutter.

I wonder if they include Bennys addresses in that....doubt it somehow...

Wonderful formatting...
    http://www.fma.ie/christmas09.pdf

http://www.fma.ie/mediareport_june1_2009.pdf

A bunch of Pope following right wing yahoos don't like mcsavage......

.....thats not really an achievement, but well done McSavage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ScumLord wrote: »
    Oh cool, I didn't know remote controls work on street performers.

It does if you beat him about the head and neck with it

We dont even know what he was going to say.

This is a lark. We are pre-emptively upset because he may have been joking about priests, heroin addicts, or possibly children.

Pre-emptive upset takes the feckin biscuit.

A bunch of Pope following right wing yahoos don't like mcsavage......

Oh, my feeling is if the joke were about the heroin addict you would be writing to Madam.

You, personally, that is. Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He's not funny but none of what he said was offensive. All brothers beat the **** out of each other. It's not abuse, it's how kids are. The priest joke, it's what most people are thinking.
    While we are concerned for the welfare of Mr McSavage, we are also concerned about the irresponsibility of RTÉ in allowing him (and others) to be seen as a role model.

BWHAHAHAHA.

TV/radio is going to be so watered because of ****ers who get offended over everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

orourkeda wrote: »
    When RTE feel the need to have low lifes like David McSavage as guests on their shows. Are we really surprised?

What's worse is that people actually tune in to this garbage. We really getwhat we deserve sometimes

I disagree, I pay dearly for that crap..in the form of my T.V. Licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Analysis of comedy sucks.

On topic.
    I thought the savage eye was hilarious. Bit out there and absurdist basically the kind of stuff that *Traditional Irish Well Wishers* would love if it was American or English.

Nothing in that article makes any reference to "belittling child abuse" as someone put it. Whats more he is right to make jokes about it.
    The same as people are right to make jokes about every bloody thing.

If I couldn't laugh at bad things I would probably top myself. The world is occupied by a lot of **** people who do **** things.

• Advertisement

I disagree, I pay dearly for that crap..in the form of my T.V. Licence!

so do people with thicker skin. Or who see nothing wrong with McSavage's joke.

Advertisement