Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage..making a tool of himself as usual.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I think Dave McSavage is hilarious, but goes the controversial route like Tiernan.
    But having him on a "serious" show about these issues seems a little short-sighted from the producers. It'd be like getting Mary Harney to do a comedy set or Mike Tyson to be a political correspondant.
    It's a no brainer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

WindSock wrote: »
    All priests aren't paedophiles, no. And all heroin addicts may not be safer to have as baby sitters.

For the purpose of the topic of the report though, all the paedophiles happened to be priests rather than heroin addicts.

What report?

This is the paragragh in question:
    Later on, after bringing up the topic of the Catholic Church, Mr McSavage said, "I mean, but if it was a choice between a heroine addict and a priest to baby sit my child...", at which point Mr O'Connor intervened to cut short the topic.

No talk of any report, just a priest in general, even Brendan O'Connor had the sense to see how wrong that generalisation was and cut it short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

More attention for this unfunny nepotist ****head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Min wrote: »
    What report?

This is the paragragh in question:
    Later on, after bringing up the topic of the Catholic Church, Mr McSavage said, "I mean, but if it was a choice between a heroine addict and a priest to baby sit my child...", at which point Mr O'Connor intervened to cut short the topic.

No talk of any report, just a priest in general, even Brendan O'Connor had the sense to see how wrong that generalisation was and cut it short.

I presumed he was referring to the scandals of the Murphy report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Sure tis only a bit of craic....

Was at a tommy tiernan gig and he ripped into a girl on the front row in a wheelchair, she was falling out of her chair laughing, after a few gasps everyone else joined too!

Think people need to relax McSavage was just doing what he does best, taking the p1ss.

And personnally i prefer his shows to Katherine Lynch, Jason Byrne and that Republic of telly tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think the real issue here is Brendan O Connor. A dirty stain on the fabric of Irish media. At least McSavage contributed The Savage Eye which was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Never heard of this FMA lot before - website is awful but in a pdf doc its states it was set up after a 'call' from the pope at the time (jp2)

As for McSavage - haven't watched his show, have seen him on 'Ballsy' O Connors piece of crap Saturday and previously once on a LLS and I didn't think he was funny at all - however I'm not outraged at his joke, just appalled at the lack of laughs he generated from me.
    Poor excuse for a comedian.

Sure tis only a bit of craic....

Was at a tommy tiernan gig and he ripped into a girl on the front row in a wheelchair, she was falling out of her chair laughing, after a few gasps everyone else joined too!

Think people need to relax McSavage was just doing what he does best, taking the p1ss.

And personnally i prefer his shows to Katherine Lynch, Jason Byrne and that Republic of telly tripe.

The question is would Tommy Tiernan find it funny if he was in a wheelchair for life?
    Would Dave McSavage find it funny if someone made him out to be sexually abusing children?

The question is would Tommy Tiernan find it funny if he was in a wheelchair for life?
    Would Dave McSavage find it funny if someone made him out to be sexually abusing children?

All subjects are available for comedy, IMO.
    Fcek that censorship lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

I watched the interview on the O'Connor show the other night and I wouldn't take any offence to any of the comments. I think they are being taken out of context somewhat.
    But the whole interview was a complete cringe-fest- McSavage came across as a total freak.

O'Connor came across as the obnoxious cnut that he : making light of his alcoholism "so your an alcoholic, yeah?" - cant believe the report lauds him.
    PS whats the fcuk is the FMA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Savage eye is the funniest thing ive seen on TV in a few years & that includes british telly.

HTF did Katherine Lynch get on tv?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Much as I despise McSavage and don't think he's remotely funny, I didn't find the quotes offensive. The bit about beating the crap out of his bro?Sure I'm a girl and my brothers would still knock lumps out of me given half the chance:p

Think we may be in danger of becoming over sensitive and losing focus of the real problem here (ie the church).

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just watched the segment on the rte player. Thought mcSavage was funny in parts, which surprised me based on the hatred he receives from a lot of people on here.
    PS whats the fcuk is the FMA?

The Family and Media Association.

If you can read this, you're too close!

gambiaman wrote: »
    All subjects are available for comedy, IMO.
    Fcek that censorship lark.

ok, find me comedy in things like the Irish famine, people dying in concentration camps, getting terminal cancer, people being abused....

ok, find me comedy in things like the Irish famine, people dying in concentration camps, getting terminal cancer, people being abused....

Find them yourself, though that may be not too wise given you more than likely will not find them amusing.

I like dark humour, darker the better - not everyone likes Terry & June humour :D

Nighty Night, Brass Eye etc man here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Well thats aimed at a specific person, tho some people might take pleasure in the fact that they are at the butt of a joke for a change.

There have and will always been racist, sexist, controversial jokes about certain groups of people e.g. priest, blacks, women, midgets. These groups may not find it funny (probably the opposite) but alot of people will find them hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you are offended by any of the Potato famine jokes, feel free to call the complaints line on 0800 1-potato 2-potato 3-potato 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

koth wrote: »

The Family and Media Association.

thanks.

sounds like a another quango that should be nuked back to the Stone Age.
    I really dont see what there is to be getting worked up about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

HTF did Katherine Lynch get on tv?:confused:

Or maeve Higgins! WTF was that show all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Much as I despise McSavage and don't think he's remotely funny, I didn't find the quotes offensive. The bit about beating the crap out of his bro?Sure I'm a girl and my brothers would still knock lumps out of me given half the chance:p

Think we may be in danger of becoming over sensitive and losing focus of the real problem here (ie the church that talentless brownnose has his own f*cking talk show).

fixed it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

Degsy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawXmpCoXjM

Just go to 6.10 and you'll see what sort of a dickhead this man is.
    He's not trying to be topical or ironic,he's trying to be offensive and unfunny.
    I agree. But if the people listening to him had any morals they would have walked off and not almost applaud when the old man drove off in his scooter the second time. Then he would have looked like a total d**k, not that he isn't one in the first place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Obviously not, wheelchair users couldn't possibly have a dark sense of humour.
    You should watch savage eye he does a great few sketches on the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dave is an appalling comedian and surprisingly thin skinned, saw him getting badly rattled by a young fella on Patrick St. last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Or maeve Higgins! WTF was that show all about

Maeve Higgins fair enough just isn't funny but katherine lynch is a huge step backwards for televised irish humor. Embarrassing.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Obviously not, wheelchair users couldn't possibly have a dark sense of humour.

You should watch savage eye he does a great few sketches on the famine.

Do all of them have a dark humour?

I watched some of it but it was not great like some make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do all of them have a dark humour?

I watched some of it but it was not great like some make out.
    I suppose they could all be seen as being pretty dark. But with comedy moments like President Mary Mac going back in time to fight the black and tans how can anybody not like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

gambiaman wrote: »
    I like dark humour, darker the better - not everyone likes Terry & June humour :D

Nighty Night, Brass Eye etc man here.

"Brass eye man here".
    LOL.

Chris Morris is great, don't get me wrong, but why do people reflexively quote Brass Eye like that- like it's flawless and sacred.

Brass Eye, as great as the satire is, is not flawless.
    In the controversial child abuse hysteria satire it satirizes the unhelpful public hysteria/hypocritical redtops/moronic self-serving celebrities (and the perpetrators themselves IIRC) beautifully but in other parts if you watch it, it gets confused as to what exactly its poking fun at- the victims or the perpetrators/media hysteria. It does actually conflate the two.

So:
    Beautiful, brilliant satire in parts (the Phil Collins noncesense stuff is inspired for example), but flawed nonetheless and not necessarily the funniest thing ever because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

i'd never even heard of him until the saturday show. had a look at the savage eye on youtube. some of it was funny but most of it was just weird or stupid. his attempts to make the audience laugh seemed to go down like a lead balloon too. i'd say those controversial comments were just him trying to drum up some publicity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ucdmike

And yet all the time people here are making stupid and idiotic remakes about the Catholic Church which are considered funny and witty. While I cant stand McSavage I find many people here are being total hypocrites on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

The Savage Eye was incredible. Can't wait for the next series!

Advertisement