Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage..making a tool of himself as usual.

Options
  • 22-03-2010 1:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fma.ie/faith_in_media/2010/3/press_release_minister_should_distance_himself.html

Seems like mcsavage is in trouble again for his attempts at "comedy"..this time joking about child abuse.

Minister should distance himself from brother’s joke about child abuse

In an interview during yesterday's The Saturday Night Show broadcast on RTÉ One television, David McSavage, brother of the Minister for Children, Barry Andrews made light of the issue of child abuse and was highly offensive to the vast majority of Catholics who abhor abuse.

In response to the following question/statement by the Show's Presenter, Brendan O'Connor, "Your brother is Barry Andrews, the Minister for Children?", Mr McSavage replied,"Yes he is and I used to kick the sh** out of him when he was a child!"

Later on, after bringing up the topic of the Catholic Church, Mr McSavage said, "I mean, but if it was a choice between a heroine addict and a priest to baby sit my child...", at which point Mr O'Connor intervened to cut short the topic.

Mr McSavage's comments take on added significance when one considers the role of his brother, the Minister, in overseeing both the Murphy Report and the Ryan Report which had, as part of its brief, the whole area of non sexual physical abuse in the context of religious institutions.

The Family and Media Association, FMA, calls on the Minister to distance himself from the remarks.

At a time when alcohol abuse is becoming ever more widely recognised as an extremely serious problem for our young people, FMA is also concerned about the apparently ambivalent attitude to his own alcohol problem which Mr McSavage displayed on the same broadcast.

While we are concerned for the welfare of Mr McSavage, we are also concerned about the irresponsibility of RTÉ in allowing him (and others) to be seen as a role model.

RTÉ does this when it uses public money to fund programmes like The Savage Eye and give Mr McSavage and others a platform.

The Government now needs to plough some 6 billion Euro into Anglo Irish Bank in the next year, a bill which is, in part, being funded by a 4% cut in social welfare. FMA believes that the 60 million euro of public money that the Government gives annually to RTÉ could be better spent!

On the plus side for RTÉ, Mr O'Connor is to be congratulated for his decisive intervention after Mr McSavage's heroine addict comment. This contrasts with the failure of Gerry Ryan to stop jokes made by Tommy Tiernan about children suffering from Down Syndrome when hosting the Late Late show over a year ago. However the whole episode shows the drastic need for standards in RTÉ’s broadcasts. Minister for Communications Eamonn Ryan must now intervene to ensure taxpayers and license payers money is not used for gratuitously offensive and insensitive broadcasts that belong in the gutter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I regularly kicked the ****e out of my younger brother.... that's what big brothers do...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That c*nt is just not funny. end of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That c*nt is just not funny. end of.

Yet RTE repeatedly allow him onto the television..the whole industry must be rotten form the arse up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think you need to move on and ignore him rather that keep posting about him (seems like you get a kick out of it tbh!)

But yes. Ignorant lowest-common-denominator annoying gob****e. Agreed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright. So just because of his brothers position he's not allowed to make jokes of it? Tis the Irish way to be sure to be fair, begorrah etc.

<walks away and finds a nice fence>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

When RTE feel the need to have low lifes like David McSavage as guests on their shows. Are we really surprised?

What's worse is that people actually tune in to this garbage. We really getwhat we deserve sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

How many would want Dave McSavage babysitting their children?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,596 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dartz wrote: »
    I regularly kicked the ****e out of my younger brother.... that's what big brothers do...

I wish someone would kick the sh1t out of Dave McSavage tbh.

Degsy wrote: »
    Yet RTE repeatedly allow him onto the television..the whole industry must be rotten form the arse up.

His brother´s a government minister. He gets on RTE. Their standard MO.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright. So just because of his brothers position he's not allowed to make jokes of it? Tis the Irish way to be sure to be fair, begorrah etc.

<walks away and finds a nice fence>

Do you feel it's appropriate to belittle child abuse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Brendan O'Connor interviewing David McSavage? Two of the biggest cunts in Ireland together in the same room. Think I'd rather slash my own wrists than watch that.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Who is Tommy Tiernan and Gerry Ryan related to then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

In this situation the more it gets focused on the less likely it is to happen again. Joke or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

His father is also a former FF govt minister. He's Tubridys cousin. Even that tool from the Sindo could join the dots.

His father is also a former FF govt minister. He's Tubridys cousin. Even that tool from the Sindo could join the dots.

Related to Gerry Ryan...

Jumpy wrote: »
    In this situation the more it gets focused on the less likely it is to happen again. Joke or no.

Is David McSavage telling jokes about it really an appropriate way to highlight such an issue

orourkeda wrote: »
    Is David McSavage telling jokes about it really an appropriate way to highlight such an issue

It highlights why he isn't in that list of the greatest Irish person ever.

Degsy wrote: »
    Who is Tommy Tiernan and Gerry Ryan related to then?

Didn´t say it was everyone, but my point was that nepotisam is rife in RTE and FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

As much as I dislike McSavage, I think he made a fair point re: heroin addict babysitter. Don't see how it is belittling the victims more than the perpetraitors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I knew he had daddy issues but not sibling issues too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The FMA sound like a bunch of dicks.

FMA is also concerned about the apparently ambivalent attitude to his own alcohol problem which Mr McSavage displayed on the same broadcast.
    Whats that got to do with them? Mind your own feckin business. The whole article had the whine of old biddies about it.

WindSock wrote: »
    As much as I dislike McSavage, I think he made a fair point re: heroin addict babysitter. Don't see how it is belittling the victims more than the perpetraitors.

That is silly, are you saying all priests are paedophiles, it is using the victims of child abuse to say all priests are paedophiles and the child would be safer in the hands of a heroin addict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawXmpCoXjM

Just go to 6.10 and you'll see what sort of a dickhead this man is.
    He's not trying to be topical or ironic,he's trying to be offensive and unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Seems to be a fierce bit of begrudgery going on here. I think he's hilarious.:D

Tommy Tiernan often goes on a foul mouthed rant about various controversial subjects but he's considered 'hilarious' because he does it in a funny accent.

Seems to be a fierce bit of begrudgery going on here. I think he's hilarious.:D

Tommy Tiernan often goes on a foul mouthed rant about various controversial subjects but he's considered 'hilarious' because he does it in a funny accent.

Tommy Tiernan is not funny, lets laugh at the people Tiernan has a problem with, lets start with people with Down Syndrome......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Min wrote: »
    That is silly, are you saying all priests are paedophiles, it is using the victims of child abuse to say all priests are paedophiles and the child would be safer in the hands of a heroin addict.

All priests aren't paedophiles, no. And all heroin addicts may not be safer to have as baby sitters.

For the purpose of the topic of the report though, all the paedophiles happened to be priests rather than heroin addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is that all he said? I used to kick the **** out of my brother when he was a kid?
    That's controversial is it?
    How is that possibly an insult to anybody?
    I like a good aul moral outrage as much as the next man, but come on now, this is nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jaysus Degsy, stick with your crusade against Ryan, don't be getting upset by harmless comments on t.v. !

You probably didn't even see the show yourself but are getting worked up over reading about it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wish someone would kick the sh1t out of Dave McSavage tbh.
    Think he got a kicking up in Letterkenny. Appearently he said something to some bloke insulting about his wife and got a battering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The boards is turning into a whiney PC idiot paradise. Its just not what the internet was meant to be Im telling ya!

Advertisement