Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K16 - A Spike Lee Joint

Options
  • 05-06-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭

Spike Lee is writing and directing the story mode in NBA 2K16. You play a highschool kid called Frequency Vibrations........WHAT!!!!! :pac:

Sounds very interesting. Guess my NBA 2K boycott was short lived :(

It will still be rated E so I'm guessing the drama involved in the story line will be more along the lines of "I want 20 D batteries.....D Gosh Darn it, D!!"

I'll let ol' Spike explain the rest...

"Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.

"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, familyicon1.png members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.
    I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath. smile.gif

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...
    Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual.

Comments

I just hope they fix the sliders.

Just watched a Smoove video the last day by chance against the Thunder and he mentioned a few of the cheesy things the game does..notably players like KD never missing a shot.

It really is a slider issue more than game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lol, who knows though. It could end up like when Suda 51 was put in charge of a fire pro wrestling game which ended up having an awesome story that ended with the protagonist committing suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was just looking up the Michael Jordan special edition which gets you the below, and saw it is $80 on Amazon but Gamestop.ie is selling it for €120......:eek: Must be a place holder surely?
    • Michael Jordan NBA 2K16 Poster
    • Michael Jordan Wall Cling
    • Digital Jordan shoes for your MyPLAYER
    • Jordan T-shirt for your MyPLAYER
    • Jordan Jersey for your MyPLAYER
    • 30,000 Virtual Currency
    • MyTEAM VIP+
    • 3 Emerald Packs AND a new Special Edition Exclusive Moments Card

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Was just looking up the Michael Jordan special edition which gets you the below, and saw it is $80 on Amazon but Gamestop.ie is selling it for €120......:eek: Must be a place holder surely?

It's not even worth $80 in fairness.
    A poster and the rest is in game rubbish.

It's not even worth $80 in fairness.
    A poster and the rest is in game rubbish.

Yupp, should more be like a pre-order bonus instead of an actual edition. I wish 2k would seriously F*CK OFF with VC but I know it's here to stay.

I see a Pro-Am mode was teased that looks like it will be the new crew mode. Over all the years of buying NBA 2K, I've never once touched Crew, My Team, My league. Will have to give something new a go this year....if I decide to get it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yupp, should more be like a pre-order bonus instead of an actual edition. I wish 2k would seriously F*CK OFF with VC but I know it's here to stay.

I see a Pro-Am mode was teased that looks like it will be the new crew mode. Over all the years of buying NBA 2K, I've never once touched Crew, My Team, My league. Will have to give something new a go this year....if I decide to get it anyway.

I think we should all hold back this year, due to their server issues. I've not long traded 2k14 (first basketball game I bought in years) and loved it, but glad I didn't go through that early hardship.

Yupp, it's a disaster every year for at least the first 2 weeks. Something about it though always makes me want to get it on launch day, sucker for the old NBA 2K :( Plus I think it will be the first game I've been looking to buy on launch since Batman so it's slim pickings around.

Played a bit of My Player a while ago, 3rd season, nothing new happening, sooooooo boring.

Threw on My Team, saw that i already created a team but never went further. Played a game, opened a load of card packs i had from when i first preordered it, picked a new line up and now I'm hooked!

I had it in my head all the games were online but all i see are challenges and domination whatever that is. Can anyone tell me how My Team actually works?

Breath of fresh air compared to my player, no awful AI teammates, no higher being judging my every bad pass and missed shot, etc.

Scratch all that, My Team has quickly lost all of its charm :pac:

Infor on game modes has been leaked via online manual.

2K Pro-Am:
    This is basically the Jordan Rec centre. 4 Full size courts for 40 players only for My Players using NBA rules. What's different though is you can create a team with 'Fully Customised Branding'. I wonder is that customised uniform, logo, etc. I didn't play much Rec Centre but when I did, it was a mess of street clothes and could never figure out who was on my team.

My Team:
    Same as previous years but now you can customise your team's logo, court and uniform which is class. An added mode is 3v3 The Gauntlet where you take your best 3 players online to play street court rules

My Career:
    You start in Highscool, go to a College team and then get drafted to the NBA as well as going through Spike Lee drama. The college thing could be interesting, build up your skills and then actually be able to make a layup when you get to the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Would love more than a 1 player my career..do u pick your high school n college or is it just the same thing over n over again.?

I'd say you might just play 1 game in highschool as a draft game into a college. I read online that so far 11 colleges have been confirmed in the game so looks like you can choose your college and then eventually go into the NBA draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Ok cool..and is the college only one or 2 games aswell or have ye guys heard anythin else.? Looking Forward to it now

Not sure how it's going to work. Very intriguing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have a feeling I'll get this. Haven't bought a 2K since 2K13

Gave My Team in 2k15 another go and played 2 online games (my 1st non My Park online games). The 1st one, I hammered the fella til he rage quit in the 3rd. The 2nd game was unreal, constant back and forth up until the end and he won by 4. Started off with a class dunk as well.

Will definitely be giving it a look in 2k16, especially with the all the extra customisation options.

2K released 2 pics showing filming in a highscool hallway and then highschool court so would be class if we got to play at that level. Gamescon next week will be showing the 1st footage of the game but to me, exhibition game demoes look the same every single year.

Pro-Am feature shown off in the vid below, actually looks class. Match making so no 'Got Next' waiting around, create your own team name, logo, court, jersey, etc. I'm looking for an online game but both My Team and Street Ball is infuriating with random players.

So, anyone up for a PS4 Boards Pro-Am team in 2K16?

Played 3 My Team online games yesterday in 2k15, lost all 3 but they all used awful cheese tactics. Constant 3's, constant zig zagging, pausing the game every minute. Worst part is, they were all crap and didn't even play defense but with all their magical 3's and my dope Rookie KD barely making 2's...FML. Not touching My Team again :P Reading online, looks like a lot of other people don't play My Team for the exact same reasons.

Supersonics Court recreated:

ba9mSON.png

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Played 3 My Team online games yesterday in 2k15, lost all 3 but they all used awful cheese tactics. Constant 3's, constant zig zagging, pausing the game every minute. Worst part is, they were all crap and didn't even play defense but with all their magical 3's and my dope Rookie KD barely making 2's...FML. Not touching My Team again :P Reading online, looks like a lot of other people don't play My Team for the exact same reasons.

]

I had only made a team and played Domination matches but your last post made me try it again.

I could only find one person to play in numerous attempts.

Id imagine it's because I'm in tier 10 or whatever its called.

So basically you can get stuck in an inactive division because there's nobody left playing it.

Just typical online from 2k.

They have modes/conditions etc that you'd have expected in the very first online game to ever release.
    Just senseless stuff that ruins the experience like clothes in the park(forget about playing rec unless you've 5 friends as people are too stupid to wear crew colours and its a mess trying to figure who you're with), no records or basic stats in online ranked and then conditions and restrictions in MyTeam.

Why don't they just copy FIFA and stop wrecking every mode.
    I like the concept of only one silver player at the start but it means you can't be matched up further.
    Just have bronze/silver and gold cups and a free for all league and at least id be able to find someone to play.

Id be amazed if they fixed all these obvious issues that should never have been proposed. Its obvious the guys making the calls aren't gamers and don't actually play the game.
    I came across some Youtuber who made that point in relation to Got Next in the Rec(in particular). Who ever put it in, obviously doesn't play... Who wants to watch a full game and also why if there's 4 of each crew cant ye just play.

Just poor ideas that might sound cool but ruin it.

Also in relation to your comment on gameplay.

The 3s need to be cut down. It ruined the park, I've played games where the opposition scored every shot as a 2.
    5 foot to 7 foot guys dropping over 50%.

The sliders against the AI are fine with the openness being the biggest factor but online its got to be % based and open 3s are still less than a 50% shot.

The 3 ball kills the game as its just too hard to keep rotating if the opposition has 3 shooters as the controls are ****e in that regard.

Yupp agree with all that. In 2k16, it looks like Pro-Am is instead of Rec centre and there is instant match making that automatically puts you into either green or yellow uniforms. It looks like the custom jerseys and courts are for actual crews that are setup before hand.

The Bronze/Silver/Gold/Open leagues would be ideal and the % shots needs to be implemented. Offense has great movement but defense is like a tank, no wonder the lads yesterday didn't even bother defending.

2K said there will no more 7ft PG's this year in My Park and have a way to stop the cheesing but I'm not holding my breath.

Pity, it's such a great game but when I go to play a certain mode, I just think 'aaahh this isn't gonna be worth it'

Hopefully it works out that way and its not reliant on hoping the community are smart enough to colour up themselves as it'll never be the case.

It can be frustrating playing someone who's poor as its the only sports game a rubbish player can get on top of you playing cheesy.

The one lad I got in Myteam yesterday was running way to far up the court on inbounds and kept getting away with it(among other noobish stuff) since its so slow to react.
    I eventually got on top late and ended up being 23 odd up before he quit but he stayed close for nearly 3 quarters... It happens so much when you know their one dimensional game plan but can still struggle.

• Advertisement

Some info on pro-am. Your team can consist of 5 players and if 2 can't make it at a specific time, AI players take their place. Also you can be on multiple teams.

Tram games take place in customised arenas where joining a random pro am game will put you into the rec centre.

http://www.operationsports.com/features/2290/nba-2k16-2k-pro-am-interview-with-jeff-thomas/

This is up on the PS store now. 70 quid for the regular edition. You get 10k VC, some cards and early access so you can play it on the 25th of Sept instead of 29th.

Or you could splash out on the MJ edition for 90 euro and get 30 VC, some MJ clothes for your My Player, some my team cards and same early access as above.

20 euro for that extra stuff is just cheeky. Think I'm gonna look for a cheaper place online for physical copy, not pushed when it gets to me. Anyone seen a good price for it?

I see Gamestop selling the MJ edition for 100 euro....

Some new gameplay released today and the My Career story trailer. Apparently NBA requested some lines be removed from the trailer but 2K said they are still in the game. Spike Lee making it a serious story.

Random gameplay stuff from different camera angles. Looking very similar to last year even though the devs said a huge amount of gameplay was changed to improve all aspects and stop the cheesing from last year.

Hope they improve it.
    There's just so many little annoying aspects that you'd imagine could be altered easily-consistent and repetitive double teams, players needlessly running BEHIND opposition players as you pass, AI stuck to you on string while you can get caught napping.... Few things like that just mount up and ruin the game.

Makes playing every team identical with little variation game to game.

Double teams need to be varied and not every time you pass a certain line that's a massive annoyance. I don't see Lebron consistently doubled as soon as he passes a certain mark and then often unable to throw it to the free man.. Tbh that's a side issue, I don't want to have to chuck the ball every time either, easy assists or not.

Ill possibly hang back this year as ill be disc buying so want to hear positive things in regard to needless aspects that ruin the fun.

On a side note... Like the revival of PES, NBA live could be worth a look this year judging the early footage.

14 was widely panned, 15 was apparently an improvement(didn't try it) so another incremental rise would see a worthy competitor and stop the current monopoly as FiFA had.

Can only be good for us sports games fans.

One new feature that sounds good is the passing. Different buttons for different passes, you can choose between normal, lob and bounce and now if you hold x, the closest player will come to you for a hand off .

It's been sped up so fast breaks actually feel fast and centre's won't magically keep up with you.

Defense is more responsive as they knew that was a big weakness online and they say zigzag offense won't work anymore.

But then again it's very hard to trust 2k as every year brings new problems.

Nba live 16 demo is up on the US PSN store, gonna give it a lash. The nba live companion app is live as well and you can upload a pic straight to the game for your player. Not compatible with a Galaxy S4 or IPhone S5

Edit. Worst intro to a demo I've ever seen in my whole life....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's the largest download size for a demo that I have ever seen.

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's the largest download size for a demo that I have ever seen.

I'd say it's because you can upload your face to a character in the demo. I played half a game between the cavs and warriors. Some parts I like like some transitions were very quick, good speed and clean passing. Graphics not as good as 2k, some plays were completely stuck in animations. The blocks were really nice and nice not fouling every time you go for a steal. Slightly more arcadey feel to it than 2K. Commentary was awful.

Highlight for me was getting a monster block and the mascot at the baseline went crazy.

I took a vid of the first quarter, must upload it later.

• Advertisement

Some info on height/stat restrictions from 2K. 15 was a joke with 7'8 PG's that moved like the Flash.

• Point Gaurd: 5'7"- 6'7"
    • Shooting Guard: 5'10" - 6'8"
    • Small Forward: 6'3" - 6'10"
    • Power Forward: 6'5" - 7'0"
    • Center: 6'8' - 7'3"
    They also mentioned a few other details, we wanted to list:
    • Dependent on your style and height (both small and tall), attributes will fluctuate.
    • 6'7 PG's will be one of the slower points guards in the game
    • 3 scoring styles (inside, outside & balanced) that determine your caps, alongside height.
    • No more 7 foot small forwards that shoot like Ray Allen and dribble like Kyrie Irving.
    • Bigs will play like bigs

Advertisement