Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah I have it in a warm place alright with the battery and the sim card out. Hoping for the best.

Put it in a bag of rice. The rice should help absorb some of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Put it in a bag of rice. The rice should help absorb some of the water.

Does this actually work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Update installed, don't notice much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Yeah I have it in a warm place alright with the battery and the sim card out. Hoping for the best.

Fingers crossed for you man, hopefully it's alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This worked thank God! Woke up this morning and phone was functioning properly..... so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Updated via KIES yesterday. Was pretty much pain free.

What I've noticed so far
    • Phones does not seem as laggy anymore
    • HDR Video Recording Mode
    • Ability to move apps2sd
    • semi-transparent notification bar (looks transparent no matter what wall paper you use)
    • New icons in settings menu
    • New option under display to make the fonts clearer

If any one notices anything else let me know. Pretty impressed with this update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

What update is it? 4.3?

No its just a samsung update, still 4.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

So it's not just me, after the update phone does feels a bit smoother.
    apope8 wrote: »

What I've noticed so far
    • semi-transparent notification bar (looks transparent no matter what wall paper you use)

coldfire1x wrote: »
    So it's not just me, after the update phone does feels a bit smoother.

Yes and more responsive, I have also noticed some significant improvment with the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Just got the phone today and have been trying to get watchon to work with UPC. When I select Ireland as the country the only option I am presented with is Sky?? I read elsewhere that others had the UPC option. Have they removed it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

techdiver wrote: »
    Just got the phone today and have been trying to get watchon to work with UPC. When I select Ireland as the country the only option I am presented with is Sky?? I read elsewhere that others had the UPC option. Have they removed it?

Make sure you have updated WatchOn, there has been a lot of updates to it and if your phone is new you might still be using the stock version of the app

Clareman wrote: »
    Make sure you have updated WatchOn, there has been a lot of updates to it and if your phone is new you might still be using the stock version of the app

Hi,

Yeah, I'm on the latest version of WatchOn, 5.1.4.

When I start it up and select Ireland I only get Sky as an option??

I read about issues with the UPC listing, I wonder have they removed it? Or is it only custom fit onto Irish operators firmware? (I'm on stock sim free model).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'm on one of the early custom roms and I've got UPC working on mine... had issues gettting it work but always gave me the option of UPC or SKY.

I'm on one of the early custom roms and I've got UPC working on mine... had issues gettting it work but always gave me the option of UPC or SKY.

Wierd?? Makes no sense? I've been resorting to using sky and manually configuring the channels. Pain staking!

As far as I remember when it asks you if your upc has channel 102 or whatever click the option to do this later. Then when you go to the channel guide it should have the proper channels

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Silly but ... I want to add a contact. I type his name, her name then the textbox stops entering at the second character of the surname. I can type on and see the autocomplete continue. If I click on one of the words there, eg the central one in blue, nothing happens, it does not insert that word as I would expect. What's going on?
    Is there a specific Galaxy S4 thread I should be asking in, or on Samsung.com itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Sysmod wrote: »
    Silly but ... I want to add a contact. I type his name, her name then the textbox stops entering at the second character of the surname. I can type on and see the autocomplete continue. If I click on one of the words there, eg the central one in blue, nothing happens, it does not insert that word as I would expect. What's going on?
    Is there a specific Galaxy S4 thread I should be asking in, or on Samsung.com itself?

Always found the stock keyboard to be glitchy like that, download the Google keyboard from the play store, miles better IMO

Flashed Omega v9 and have the latest version of WatchOn and still not getting UPC??

apope8 wrote: »

What I've noticed so far

Just after flashing my phone with what seems to be the above version but as pre-rooted stock rom (from XDA) as I'm noticing all the of things you mentioned in the above including what seems to be a much smoother expierience.

The only thing I can't find is HDR Video Recording Mode although when I first went into the camera after the flashing it said on the screen that it was updating camera firmware but no option for HDR. Not really a big thing but just wondering where do you see the option for it?

Edit:: techdiver, I'm just after checking and my rooms, tv and upc are still working fine through WatchOn on this later version rom. Very strange that your not even getting the option.

• Advertisement

Edit:: techdiver, I'm just after checking and my rooms, tv and upc are still working fine through WatchOn on this later version rom. Very strange that your not even getting the option.

I wonder had the option been removed in "newer" revisions and still works on pre configured phones?

Have you tried an older version of the application to see if the option is there for you before the later verisons?

This is one of the earlier versions I can find (from May)... haven't tested it myself (as don't want to break mine!) but found it through XDA.

:EDIT: Actually if you use an alternative market app you can find all the older version of the application! Aptoide is an example of one

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi folks,

My phone jumped out of my pocket as I was running and hit the ground. I have a spigen hybrid case which absorbed most of the shock but there is a mark underneath the screen at the top right of it (see pic attached). The screen appears not to be cracked though. I have phone insurance. Do you know what the issue is and would it be costly to fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That looks like the digitiser glass has seperated away from the LED a little bit.

Probably not much to worry about (I doubt you can even see it when the screen is on) but it could spread which could cause issues in future.

I wouldn't say it'd cost that much to repair as I think the glass would just need to be reglued.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Achilles wrote: »
    That looks like the digitiser glass has seperated away from the LED a little bit.

I wouldn't say it'd cost that much to repair as I think the glass would just need to be reglued.

Thanks Achilles. Ye it's not an issue when the phone is in use. It just bugs me a little because I like to look after my gagdets.

I will check out the repair costs when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Since the update has anyone had any issues with their wifi disconnecting? Mine keeps disconnecting and if you go into the wifi menu it says authentication error. This has only started in the past day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Thanks, projectmgr.
    I looked again and noticed the SIM icon above, switched to storing on the device and it's OK. Is there a SIM limit of 14 characters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Well I went from iPhone to S3 to the iPhone 5 in the last year.
    Now Ive taken the plunge again and will have the S4 tomorrow! Gona be a big change from the iPhone 5. Hopefully I can get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Well I went from iPhone to S3 to the iPhone 5 in the last year.
    Now Ive taken the plunge again and will have the S4 tomorrow! Gona be a big change from the iPhone 5. Hopefully I can get used to it.

I dont consider it a big change from an s3, though i used an iPhone 5 today for the first time felt so weird coming from my s4, so much more screen on the s4. If you liked the S3 you will like the s4, i consider it more an evolution to the s3 , like an S3"S" , prob gonna get flamed for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have the S4 and the iPhone 5 and find it very difficult to use the iPhone after using the S4, the back button alone is invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

One thing that is really annoying me is the Emergency Call button on the lock screen , i always press it.

Even when when the phone is my pocket , i feel it vibrating slightly and i look to see a dozen numbers on the emergency dialer.

One of these days it'll call the guards or something

Kenno90 wrote: »
    One thing that is really annoying me is the Emergency Call button on the lock screen , i always press it.

Even when when the phone is my pocket , i feel it vibrating slightly and i look to see a dozen numbers on the emergency dialer.

One of these days it'll call the guards or something

I've had mobiles do that in the past but not this one. It's always fun when they call back to ask what was wrong.

'Erh... yeah sorry about that I'm a retard...'

Well it arrived today and it looks the part. Very nice phone. Charging away here and cant wait to get home to try it out.
    The poor iPhone 5 looks tiny beside it!!
    Now to get a good cover for it. Dont like those flip ones. Looking for something silicon or similar.

Well it arrived today and it looks the part. Very nice phone. Charging away here and cant wait to get home to try it out.
    The poor iPhone 5 looks tiny beside it!!
    Now to get a good cover for it. Dont like those flip ones. Looking for something silicon or similar.

Well I'll tell you what I just ordered an imitation S-View cover from eBay there the other day, when it arrives you can have my black silicone cover if you like? Only cost me €15 so I'm not going to ask you for anything for it.

Can you send me on the link for the S-View cover? I'd like to try 1 but I don't want to spend 30 quid on 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=330946634838

I've bought a few of these in different colours from this place and they've been perfect. Sometimes the price changes to £2.99 so watch out for that too.

Achilles wrote: »
    Well I'll tell you what I just ordered an imitation S-View cover from eBay there the other day, when it arrives you can have my black silicone cover if you like? Only cost me €15 so I'm not going to ask you for anything for it.

Hey Achilles, thatd be brilliant. If you can post it to Galway Ill cover the postage?
    Also I have a proper white S-View cover that came with the phone. You can have it if you want? I know I wont use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hey Achilles, thatd be brilliant. If you can post it to Galway Ill cover the postage?
    Also I have a proper white S-View cover that came with the phone. You can have it if you want? I know I wont use it.

i got a decent silicone cover for €1.50 in dealz

Yeah that'd be fantastic, I'd cover the cost of postage myself as a thank you so don't worry about that.

PM me your address and we'll work something out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

New update out today,phone is currently updating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Three times now, once every week for the last three weeks my phone won't respond while it has been charging overnight. It's switching off and I have to take the battery out to restart it. Anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Thats probably the Move apps to SD card update, my phone only got it this week but its been released ages.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I installed the Omega 9.0 Rom. Very happy with it so far. Seems to have all the samsung eyecandy, but fast.

MarkR wrote: »
    I installed the Omega 9.0 Rom. Very happy with it so far. Seems to have all the samsung eyecandy, but fast.

I rooted and installed that straight away after getting the phone last week. Very stable ROM with all the Samsung extras included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I got this too and it's made a massive difference to the performance of my phone. My home screen was regularly stuttering and considering how powerful the phone is I was really disappointed with it, however this update has cleared any of that up and it's now perfectly smooth. I'm very happy!!

I'm still having a problem with the WIFI dropping. I've tried resetting my modem and connecting the phone to it again but the problem is still there. Has anyone any ideas of what else to try. I didn't have this problem before the update, WIFI connection was always stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Change the router WiFi channel

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm still having a problem with the WIFI dropping. I've tried resetting my modem and connecting the phone to it again but the problem is still there. Has anyone any ideas of what else to try. I didn't have this problem before the update, WIFI connection was always stable.

I'm having that problem too,very annoyimg ,also sometimes it will show that Im connected to WiFi but it won't work so I have to turn off the wifi and turn it back on again very annoying :mad:.

I'm having that problem too,very annoyimg ,also sometimes it will show that Im connected to WiFi but it won't work so I have to turn off the wifi and turn it back on again very annoying :mad:.

Exact same as has been happening mine. Has this only started since you updated your phone?

markc1184 wrote: »
    Exact same as has been happening mine. Has this only started since you updated your phone?

Honestly I can't remember when it started but I don't think it was happening when I first got the phone,It might have started happening at the start of june maybe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement