Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone else worried about the OL? Moving Mewhort to RT is no sure thing and also leaves us extremely weak at LG. Dont like the options we have for LG now, so hoping Thomas can make a full recovery which is doubtful. The centre position always seems to be up in the air as well so think we are gonna have big problems along the line again this year unless we can snag someone like Evan Mathis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

Anyone else worried about the OL? Moving Mewhort to RT is no sure thing and also leaves us extremely weak at LG. Dont like the options we have for LG now, so hoping Thomas can make a full recovery which is doubtful. The centre position always seems to be up in the air as well so think we are gonna have big problems along the line again this year unless we can snag someone like Evan Mathis.

Yeah id agree with your post AB. Mewhort and AC had a really solid left side to our OL, and both were young. I would have prefered if they stayed there for long term. Godser, although hasnt really lived up to his wage, i would still have liked for him to be there, but i wouldnt blame Grigs for cutting him if his injury was bad. It leaves a tricky situation.

The main thing I think for our OL is consistency in selection. Every week last year, we had like a new combination which is not ideal. I would like us to sign Mathis but I think we are looking like a AC, Thornton, Holmes, Herremans, Mewhort line, with maybe Harrison at center and Reitz getting selected somewhere too. It is for me not great with Luck and his weapons, but hopefully they can hold up with consistency. We will get a good examination against Buffalo in r1

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was listening to Pagano's press conference today. Comes across very well and he says he's very excited about the competition for running back. Says that Ballard will be monitored on a week to week basis.

Was listening to the 'Around The NFL' podcast recently and one of the hosts said that Pagano is on the hot seat and that there's a big demand for the Colts to take another step.

Thought it was a bizarre thing to say. Though, we definitely need to come up with a tactic to stop the running game. Offensive-wise, we're solid but defensively we need a bit of work.

All in all, I can't wait for the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was listening to Pagano's press conference today. Comes across very well and he says he's very excited about the competition for running back. Says that Ballard will be monitored on a week to week basis.

Was listening to the 'Around The NFL' podcast recently and one of the hosts said that Pagano is on the hot seat and that there's a big demand for the Colts to take another step.

Thought it was a bizarre thing to say. Though, we definitely need to come up with a tactic to stop the running game. Offensive-wise, we're solid but defensively we need a bit of work.

All in all, I can't wait for the new season.

Hope Ballard stays healthy this year, would like to see him do well after the last couple of years he's had.

Think they're making Pagano the new Dungy - wins plenty in the regular season but hasn't won the big one yet and so heap the pressure on him.

I like what Pagano's saysing and doing though. Just wish they'd stop laying eggs a few times a season. It ruins the rest of the great stuff they're doing.

I know there's still work to be done on the O line and defence in general, but I think they're getting there.

They're also trying out differnet things to try and get better - in the first 2 days of camp I hear they have kept the same 5 O line guys together and haven't mixed the O line around and it looks like they're moving Werner over to strongside as the best part of his game so far has been his run blocking.

So all in all, I think it's fairly obvious the Colts and going to win it all this year! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

So all in all, I think it's fairly obvious the Colts and going to win it all this year! :-)

We've still done nothign to improve our run defense. The Pats have smashed us with their run game and I have seen no moves to stop that happening again.

• Advertisement

Areyouwell wrote: »
    We've still done nothign to improve our run defense. The Pats have smashed us with their run game and I have seen no moves to stop that happening again.

I wouldn't say nothing. They drafted a few linemen - ok may not be much help this year, but you'd never know. They also signed Irvine at inside linebacker who's a good run stopper. Also, I hear Artur Jones is healthy and doing well at camp - again another good run stopper.

Besides, with how pissed off Brady is, the Pat's won't be running the ball against the Colts this year! :-)

This is preseaon - time to be possitive. I'm saving the negativity till after the first against against the Bills and their running attack! :-)

I think if the run defence next season is to be a success, it will depend alot on Langford and Jones at DE. We know Chapman isn't great at NT but if Langford and Jones can bring form next season it will be a huge help. Jones fully fit and Langford being suited to a 3-4 set gives me hope that we will improve in this area next year. But I suppose we all know a big improvement is need if we have SB hopes.

I've only seen a little bit of college football over the years, but really had high hopes when the Colts picked Chapman - even though he was still recovering from an ACL tear when they picked him. Hopefully, this year he'll be the dominant NT that he can be. Although I heard good things about Zach Kerr's play at NT, maybe he'll progress too.

I still look back at that AFC game and wonder what could've been if Cribbs hadn't have fumbled and not if the Pat's hadn't have been so successful running the ball. But then again, I guess I'm just used to the run defence being bad. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

I can't post links but it's been announced on the NFL site that TY Hilton signed a contract extension today with the Colts. It's $65 million for 5 years with $39 million guaranteed.

Delighted to see TY stay even though we have a overpaid a little. Need to get Luck, Fleener, Allen and AC tied down now.

• Advertisement

Would love to see the other 4 tied down, but I think they'll keep either Fleener or Allen and not both. Luck's contract is going to be too much to keep both of them.
    I'm thinking if Allen plays all 16 games and post-season (if there are any) games injury free, they'll keep him, otherwise they'll keep Fleener.

I can't post links but it's been announced on the NFL site that TY Hilton signed a contract extension today with the Colts. It's $65 million for 5 years with $39 million guaranteed.

That's 13mil a year, I think Bryants and D. Thomas' contact came in around 14mil a year.

The deal is probably about right, I think this is the market nowadays. It's better we have him than we don't obviously. He is in fairness up there with some of the best in the league back to back 1,000 yrds, but not in the Dez/Thomas bracket. Hopefully he can keep improving.

Would love to see the other 4 tied down, but I think they'll keep either Fleener or Allen and not both. Luck's contract is going to be too much to keep both of them.
    I'm thinking if Allen plays all 16 games and post-season (if there are any) games injury free, they'll keep him, otherwise they'll keep Fleener.

I agree with this. The calculator is going to be in full use in the next 2 years now, most of our best players (Luck, AC, Allen, Fleener, Davis) have contracts up!
    I'm very excited about our offense next season though. If our O-line holds up we have some brilliant talent that can do damage.

Happy that TY is staying on. He is very exciting to watch but there's going to be big pressure on his shoulders and will need to deliver on these big dollars.

Back to back 1,000+ numbers indicate that he will.

Important to keep Luck's weapons a la Manning and Reggie Wayne so that they can progress together.

Excited about the offence like most Colts fans but I'm hoping our defence steps up.

Will be keeping a close eye on the D in tomorrow's game.

Two games this preseason and the OL has seemed to regress if that's even possible. No point having all the options in the world for Luck to throw to if he wont get time to actually throw the ball. I think Mewhort should move back inside to LG and hopefully we can pick up a serviceable RT from other teams cuts but I'm disappointed with Grigson that he hasn't done more to fix the line.

The tackling has also been atrocious along with really poor Special Teams play but the first team D did well at managing the run for the first half. Think we should be looking at cuts or trade options for the NT position as I'm not confident at all with what we got there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Haven't been following this much this pre season but seeing it in the news that Reggie is signing for the Pats made me spit out my coffee.

I'm going to have to have a ceremony to say goodbye to my old 87 jersey:(

Two games this preseason and the OL has seemed to regress if that's even possible. No point having all the options in the world for Luck to throw to if he wont get time to actually throw the ball. I think Mewhort should move back inside to LG and hopefully we can pick up a serviceable RT from other teams cuts but I'm disappointed with Grigson that he hasn't done more to fix the line.

There was improvement last night in St. Louis, but I share your concerns. Theres def going to be a 'learning process' with Mewhort at RG, but I worried about his ability in dealing with speed/edge rushers. He was very good on the left side of the line last year with AC particularly at pass protection. With him learning a new position it leaves us with a average enough interior to that oline too, I dont really rate Louis at LG.

Overall last night was a decent win. AJ is looking good so far, i think were all excited about him. Art Jones go injured again which hopefully isnt bad. He wasnt near his best last year. I think Langford looks a good fit in our 3-4 set though. I think there is an improvement in our run D, badly need obviously.

letowski wrote: »
    There was improvement last night in St. Louis, but I share your concerns. Theres def going to be a 'learning process' with Mewhort at RG, but I worried about his ability in dealing with speed/edge rushers. He was very good on the left side of the line last year with AC particularly at pass protection. With him learning a new position it leaves us with a average enough interior to that oline too, I dont really rate Louis at LG.

Overall last night was a decent win. AJ is looking good so far, i think were all excited about him. Art Jones go injured again which hopefully isnt bad. He wasnt near his best last year. I think Langford looks a good fit in our 3-4 set though. I think there is an improvement in our run D, badly need obviously.

Agreed, cant really fault Mewhort. Its hard for him to be kicked to the outside of the line after doing a stellar job inside. I really would like to see him back at LG as Louis/Thornton doesnt inspire me either with any confidence. Like you said, AC and himself anchored the left side of the line very effectively. Hopefully a serviceable RT gets cut and we pick him up. maybe try to get a trade going?

Thought we were very good last night and happy to see Hasselbeck with an improved showing as well. Johnson looks really good already, Luck is gonna love him in the redzone. Langford looks a solid pick up and Anderson gave a really good performance too. The NT position looks up for grabs between Chapman,Kerr and Parry but again, hopefully we might pick up something better before season starts (Doubtful). Yup agreed, run D looks much better so hopefully we keep it up. Walden has been the star of the preseason for me.

First set of cuts are in. Donald Thomas obviously has very little left to offer after them injuries. Bit gutted as had hoped that if he could have got fit, he would have helped sure up a spot on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

See that it's been reported that chuck pagano isn't getting a contract extension before this season starts. So are the colts really going to let him coach his last year of his contract ?

How does he expect to keep the locker room if the players aren't sure if their coach is back next year ?

• Advertisement

I'm very surprised about that if it's true. It's a big year too with Luck coming into a contract year but tbh, I like what Pagano is doing. He had a tough time of it a couple of years back in his personal life but I think he's done a good job.

For a team that was supposed to be in transition for the next few years, he's done well to get us into the post-season three years in a row.

Big news with regards to Chapman getting cut, Hughes is cut too. Thats only parry anderson langford kerr and quarles i think we have at NT and DE (might be missing someone?) Maybe this isnt finalised yet. Its a big call, Chapman no doubt had some big troubles at NT last year. I think Kerr will get the oppertunity now, but im worried a bit, its a complelely new front 3 set now with Art Jones injured. Langford has looked solid infairness preseason but we need Anderson and a NT to really step up.

letowski wrote: »
    Big news with regards to Chapman getting cut, Hughes is cut too. Thats only parry anderson langford kerr and quarles i think we have at NT and DE (might be missing someone?) Maybe this isnt finalised yet. Its a big call, Chapman no doubt had some big troubles at NT last year. I think Kerr will get the oppertunity now, but im worried a bit, its a complelely new front 3 set now with Art Jones injured. Langford has looked solid infairness preseason but we need Anderson and a NT to really step up.

Cant say I'm too surprised seeing the back of Chapman and Hughes, have been concerned that they would be starters again this year. The D Line needed a change badly after the last few years but worried that we now only have one player on the line who has played an NFL snap. Definitely expecting us to at least pick up one if not two veterans and wouldnt be shocked to see a trade. I agree, I like Parry and Kerr but definitely think we need to pick up a starting calibre NT, which will be tough going now. With the trade for Sio Moore, I wouldnt be shocked to see a brand new front seven for us compared to last season, come the end of the season.

Langford Parry/New NT Anderson
    Mathis Irving Moore Cole

Our secondary and LB depth looks superb with the exception of maybe an additional safety.

Cant say I'm too surprised seeing the back of Chapman and Hughes, have been concerned that they would be starters again this year. The D Line needed a change badly after the last few years but worried that we now only have one player on the line who has played an NFL snap. Definitely expecting us to at least pick up one if not two veterans and wouldnt be shocked to see a trade. I agree, I like Parry and Kerr but definitely think we need to pick up a starting calibre NT, which will be tough going now. With the trade for Sio Moore, I wouldnt be shocked to see a brand new front seven for us compared to last season, come the end of the season.

Langford Parry/New NT Anderson
    Mathis Irving Moore Cole

Our secondary and LB depth looks superb with the exception of maybe an additional safety.

I like the depth we have at LB too. I'm hoping Moore and Irving can put real pressure on Freeman and Jackson. I thought both were only ok last year, they were nailed on starters and played within themselves. Moore for a late draft pick was a good trade. Both himself and Irving are young so hopefully the will develop into good ILBs in this league.

I think we will look to bring in a NT too and DE cover, we kinda have to, having 5 NT/DE's is way too short :o Parry and Anderson starting straight away together would be a big show in confidence for the young guys. I rate Anderson, Parry has looked decent in preseason but I would prefer to bring in a solid vet (like I've wanted Grigson to do all year). It will be tricky, being so close to the Bills game, for us to find a NT that will fit into our defensive scheme quickly. If we can just get that position sorted there's no reason for the Colts D not to do well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Had a dream last night that I was trying to persuade Rex Ryan to trade Wilkerson to us!

Strange considering Ryan is the Bills coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Delighted to see that Gray is gone from the Pats. Looks like his perfromance against us went to his head and he was in Belichicks bad books ever since. if that weakens theri power running game I'm happy, because I'm not to sure about our run defense heading into 2015.

Delighted to see that Gray is gone from the Pats. Looks like his perfromance against us went to his head and he was in Belichicks bad books ever since. if that weakens theri power running game I'm happy, because I'm not to sure about our run defense heading into 2015.

If only it was Gray that was the issue with the run defence last year. Blount is still there and no doubt BB has another few unknown running backs ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why would you be delighted if the player is gone from an opposing team? Very strange attitude to have, if you feel the performance went to his head.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/642056685935136768

Good to have our LT locked up. So Fleener, Allen and Luck are the only ones left that needs extending? Luck has another two seasons left to run and will get done next year and hopefully we can keep the two TE's even if we have to tag one of them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement