Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

marno21 wrote: »
    Remember as well that the N5 from Westport to Castlebar and Ballaghaderreen to east of Strokestown is being upgraded.

The only poor part that'll be left is between Termonbarry and Longford and the N4 which will likely be upgraded sooner rather than later.

Yea, but you're still looking at long distances of single-carriageway roads and in a lot of cases there are limited overtaking opportunities despite what would appear at 1st glance to be 'good roads'......

I say all of this as a previous frequent user of the N4/N5 (Achill <> Dublin) over many years and I certainly appreciated all of the incremental improvements that were made over those years, but as it stands, I would certainly be advocating the M17/M6 route from many parts Mayo once the new roads are open (this week!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

This becomes an issue with the N83 in Tuam as Claregalway is signed for the N83, yet the best way to get to Claregalway is via the M17, especially when traffic coming northbound approaching Tuam could've used J19 on the M17 to access Claregalway instead of going all the way up to Tuam to head back down the N83.
    Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Huh?? Why would someone go all the way up to Tuam, pass J19, only to head back down the N83 to get to Claregalway??
    That's exactly the point I'm trying to make

Ok, wasn't clear to me. Your earlier sentence was talking about 1) heading south from Tuam to Claregalway via N83 and 2) heading north from Rathmorrissy to Tuam via M17. Can't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

tobdom wrote: »
    Yea, but you're still looking at long distances of single-carriageway roads and in a lot of cases there are limited overtaking opportunities despite what would appear at 1st glance to be 'good roads'......

I say all of this as a previous frequent user of the N4/N5 (Achill <> Dublin) over many years and I certainly appreciated all of the incremental improvements that were made over those years, but as it stands, I would certainly be advocating the M17/M6 route from many parts Mayo once the new roads are open (this week!)

For safety yes but for speed no. Castlebar and anywhere east of it will most likely still be reached faster travelling the N4/N5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

Remember as well that the N5 from Westport to Castlebar and Ballaghaderreen to east of Strokestown is being upgraded.

The only poor part that'll be left is between Termonbarry and Longford and the N4 which will likely be upgraded sooner rather than later.

Travelled the same route myself twice a week for many years. The improvements made since 2001 when I started that travelling is immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

muddle84 wrote: »
    A better option would be to improve the N5 up to Tulsk and improve the N61 from Tulsk to Athlone. Then you are diverting traffic from longford and onto a motorway all the way to Dublin. 
    From Google maps
    Castlebar to Dublin via Longford: 234km, 2h59min
    Castlebar to Dublin via Tulsk & Athlone: 251km 3h3min

The problem is that Mayo <-> Tulsk goes through the site of Cruachan Aí, thence the reason they want to use a total new alignment well north of the current road.

cruachan-ai.png

cruachan.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don't think so? Isn't this a good wide standard S2? Might need a bit of sprucing up with surface/signs but from memory its a good road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Paddystix

Looking forward to this opening, wonder how much traffic it will take away from town. Does be a nightmare trying to get out of estate on the Galway road in the mornings with the constant flow of traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

whitey1 wrote: »
    Regarding the usage on this road....I was listening to Midwest and the presenter claimed that a lot of people from Mayo would use this new route as a way to get to Dublin.  Some Mayo people were already using that route and hopping on the Motorway outside Galway. With the Tuam and Claregalway bottlenecks now gone from the equation I can see how that may be an attractive route. Any thoughts?
    I find google maps to be pretty accurate in its time estimates. So, I did a comparison between the two routes, assuming the new Mway section from Athenry to Tuam is about 25km. It puts the new route a few minutes faster to Westport and a few minutes slower to Castlebar. So, pretty similar, but then at times you could get held up in places like Rathowen , Ballinalack on the old N4, and if you have the possibility to put cruise control on, then you might prefer the longer stretch of motorway anyway.

Personally, I tend to travel the route a fair bit, but at off peak times. So, I find the mway stretches pretty boring. I'd say I'll stick with the old route mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I normally go to Sligo once a year and guess what I'm going tomorrow and will be hitting Oranmore during rush hour FML....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    I don't think so? Isn't this a good wide standard S2? Might need a bit of sprucing up with surface/signs but from memory its a good road.
    Didn't realise it was that good. Just a bypass of Termonbarry required so, including a new crossing of the River Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This becomes an issue with the N83 in Tuam as Claregalway is signed for the N83, yet the best way to get to Claregalway is via the M17, especially when traffic coming northbound approaching Tuam could've used J19 on the M17 to access Claregalway instead of going all the way up to Tuam to head back down the N83.

Ok, wasn't clear to me. Your earlier sentence was talking about 1) heading south from Tuam to Claregalway via N83 and 2) heading north from Rathmorrissy to Tuam via M17. Can't see an issue.

Claregalway should be signed ONLY via the M17 in Tuam, as it is the correct way to get there. If Claregalway is signed via the M17, the N83 becomes a useless national route as it serves 0 destinations.

This is the level of nonsense we have to deal with due to whingers in Galway County Council only moaning about the M17 because they get extra maintenance costs for these feeder routes to one off houses. The existing N17 has no national relevance after this new motorway opens and should be signed as such. The new motorway is designed to discourage traffic from the old N17 not encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

M6 junction 19 (18/12/09-24/09/17) eastboundIMAG2389_zpslpts1fb2.jpg25/09/17IMAG2482_zpsdtflfazm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Would love to know the drive time from those going from Dublin to ennis?
    What time savings can be made with this new road? etc

I wonder just how many tourists have been misled by those new signs pointing to a road that isn't yet open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

youngblood wrote: »

Go via Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Go via Limerick?

Shoulda said midlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

I've witnessed a few loops being made of the roundabouts at kiltiernan in the last few weeks. The black plastic wraps didn't hold up too well!

I wonder just how many tourists have been misled by those new signs pointing to a road that isn't yet open.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

youngblood wrote: »

From the centre of Ennis to the centre of Dublin, the distance is almost exactly the same whether you choose to take the M6 or M7. Any time saving taking the M6 will be from reduced congestion, particularly during the M7 widening roadworks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Didn't realise it was that good. Just a bypass of Termonbarry required so, including a new crossing of the River Shannon.

I don't think a Termonbarry bypass is a big priority. It's not a bottleneck. And much of the N5 between Longford and Termonbarry was upgraded over 40 years ago when the village of Clondara was bypassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

A better option would be to improve the N5 up to Tulsk and improve the N61 from Tulsk to Athlone. Then you are diverting traffic from longford and onto a motorway all the way to Dublin.
    From Google maps
    Castlebar to Dublin via Longford: 234km, 2h59min
    Castlebar to Dublin via Tulsk & Athlone: 251km 3h3min

and currently (pre Tuam bypass + M17 opening) Castlebar to Dublin via Tuam, Claregalway, M6 is 279km 3h16min - about 180km of this distance is motorway (bar the Athlone N-road which is still a dual-carriageway)

I think once the new roads open, you can likely knock maybe the 16 mins off that and I think even from around Castlebar it's worth (from a time/comfort perspective) going the M6 to avoid going through towns/villages where your potential for getting held up or meeting traffic backlogs are much greater. That'd be my opinion anyway.....

This highway is being portrayed as some as a white elephant with detractors saying that there will be very low usership. I think it could get a large Mayo following as a new route to Dublin

From Castlebar to the new on-ramp in Tuam is about 40 mins (taking it real handy) and clear sailing all the way to Dublin from there on the Motorway. Even though it may seem like a wash, there are much fewer opportunities to get tied up going this new way, than there would be going up the N5 through Ballaghadereen and Strokestown.

So if we assume ny logic is sound, would it not make sense that any Mayo traveller who goes through Castlebar on the way to Dublin could benefit from this new route.....Louisburgh, Westport, Newport, Achill etc.

So apart from the time differentials between the various routes, there is also the convenience factor of travelling on the motorway...eg rest areas, service areas, lighting, emergency services.

Given the weather in the West of Ireland, I think there is a greater liklihood of delays travelling on the N5 on a wet day rather than going on the Motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭motley

I don't if anyone can answer here but would anyone have an idea of when the new road will be added to Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

We are nearly there! As a daily commuter from Tuam direction to Gort this is a godsend to me.

I have been watching the thread almost on a daily basis and have never been as interested in any thread.

I sincerely want to thank M17 for all his input. He has been an amazing source of detailed information and I have learnt so much.
    I wish you the very best M17 and years of happy , safe driving for us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Is the road open from tomorrow morning, or at some point tomorrow after an official ceremony?

Claregalway should be signed ONLY via the M17 in Tuam, as it is the correct way to get there. If Claregalway is signed via the M17, the N83 becomes a useless national route as it serves 0 destinations.

This is the level of nonsense we have to deal with due to whingers in Galway County Council only moaning about the M17 because they get extra maintenance costs for these feeder routes to one off houses. The existing N17 has no national relevance after this new motorway opens and should be signed as such. The new motorway is designed to discourage traffic from the old N17 not encourage it.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Is the road open from tomorrow morning, or at some point tomorrow after an official ceremony?

Opening ceremony at 11am at junction 17 (M18) Kilternan.
    M17/M18/Tuam Bypass open to traffic at 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Found this on YouTube from 2015, seems like a good time to reshare... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Advice on what is the best route from Limerick to Westport when this opens? R332->N84->R330 ?

wtd2008 wrote: »
    We are nearly there! As a daily commuter from Tuam direction to Gort this is a godsend to me.

I have been watching the thread almost on a daily basis and have never been as interested in any thread.

I sincerely want to thank M17 for all his input. He has been an amazing source of detailed information and I have learnt so much.
    I wish you the very best M17 and years of happy , safe driving for us all.
    I just want to say a big thanks to everyone for all the great comments over the past 32 months,to Chris533976 for getting the ball rolling back in July 07,to the moderators marno 21 you must know every road in this country,spacetweek for your work on www.Irishmotorysinfo.com keep up the good work and to all you guys for making this the best roads forum on board's happy and safe motoring form 4pm tomorrow all the best your m17

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tydea

Hello everyone.
    Do you know guys how many km will be from Gort to Galway when new motorway will be opened?
    Thank you for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyone know the projected drivetime from Limerick City Centre to Galway City Centre ?

• Advertisement

tydea wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    Do you know guys how many km will be from Gort to Galway when new motorway will be opened?
    Thank you for help.

M18 gort junction 16 to the gpo in Galway 45kmsIMAG2311_zpsdsaqz5h9.jpg

I'm not really seeing the logic in going on the M17 if going Tuam to Claregalway to be honest. What route are you suggesting?

I'm not really seeing the logic in going on the M17 if going Tuam to Claregalway to be honest. What route are you suggesting?
    Turning off at Annah Hill and going via Turloughmore?

I don't see the point either - I would be inclined to stay on the old road.

Time-wise I'd say it will 6 of one....The N17 (N83) though can be very slow with, in particular, farm machinery not properly using the hard shoulder....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Where have all the daily workers gone now? On the dole until the next project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Shot by Robert Lally

Time-wise  I'd say it will 6 of one....The N17 (N83) though can be very slow with, in particular, farm machinery not properly using the hard shoulder....:mad:
    Is farm machinery required to use the hard shoulder though?

Yes, slow moving vehicles should pull onto the hard shoulder to allow traffic build ups to pass. And its manners and the decent thing to do!

Time-wise I'd say it will 6 of one....The N17 (N83) though can be very slow with, in particular, farm machinery not properly using the hard shoulder....:mad:

You are far more likely to get behind slow moving traffic going via turloughmore and its a much more difficult road to overtake on. THere are some great stretches for overtaking on the "n17".

As an aside is there any junction between Annah hill and Rathmorrissey?

You are far more likely to get behind slow moving traffic going via turloughmore and its a much more difficult road to overtake on. THere are some great stretches for overtaking on the "n17".

Sure, there are some great stretches for overtaking on the "n17" but with the level of traffic coming in the opposite direction its not always that easy to overtake.
    As an aside is there any junction between Annah hill and Rathmorrissey?

No

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Minding their own business. You should try it

That's uncalled for. I am just wondering if Roadstone/Sisk relocated their staff elsewhere now that's the Expressway is complete. My question is no different than the thousands of queries asked on this forum. Can a moderator please confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

That's uncalled for. I am just wondering if Roadstone/Sisk relocated their staff elsewhere now that's the Expressway is complete. My question is no different than the thousands of queries asked on this forum. Can a moderator please confirm?

Your questions all have an underlying tone of smugness, including your last question.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Your questions all have an underlying tone of smugness, including your last question.

How can a question have a tone of smugness?? I've been on this forum for years and have asked/answered many questions.

Yes, slow moving vehicles should pull onto the hard shoulder to allow traffic build ups to pass. And its manners and the decent thing to do!
    I couldn't agree more that it is the decent thing to do when its safe to do so. But is it the law for them to travel on the hard shoulder? ( I am not arguing with you here just curious as to what the law is)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Cut out the sniping. [@ joedomvince and Kevwoody]

Look forward to the opening tomorrow, and enjoy the joy of driving the newest motorway in Ireland from 4 pm tomorrow.

Where have all the daily workers gone now? On the dole until the next project?
    Any of the direct employees of the contractors would have moved onto the next job for that contractor. Any of the agency workers would  have also moved onto the next project for god knows who.
    Why would you think they would go on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Wishing you all a safe journey on the new M17/18 from Tomorrow Wednesday 27th of September 2017 at 16.00hrs . I'd like to thank M17 and his Trojan efforts of producing a Motorway from start to end. I'd like to thank each and everyone of you for your comments about the new road.

Safe driving and heed your speed and safe journey . Yours Paul2013

Any of the direct employees of the contractors would have moved onto the next job for that contractor. Any of the agency workers would  have also moved onto the next project for god knows who.
    Why would you think they would go on the dole?

Thanks. Much appreciated. Just thought perhaps that they may have had to let some guys go if they no longer had work for them. Roll on the Galway bypass I say. Will be at the ribbon cutting tomorrow at 11am. Hope to see a nice crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I regularly travel to Oranmore, I could now do it all motorway bar a few Km M7/M18, it's considerably longer though but might try it Friday for the craic!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Jaysus just been thinking...

Must have been 7 years since the last bit of Motorway was built (barring upgrades on existing road).

Been too long :(

Advertisement