Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Supes

Does anyone know where I can get my 50mm fixed please?

Tried contacting Hamster but never got a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dub404notFound

Hi,
    Make: Nikon
    Item: DSLR Body
    Model: D5100

Fault:
    90% black photos when lens is set to manual, no photo taken when set to auto. Video says lens error.
    Can see the top part of the photo, the rest is black.
    Tried a different lens, but same issue. Our lens works on another camera.

When/how it happened:
    Son pushed off couch onto wood floor. Maybe a foot height fall.

Any help appreciated
    thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

Make: Canon

Item: Camera

Model: G10

Fault: Two screws have gone missing from bracket which attach the strap to left side of camera.

Can anybody assist me with sourcing the two (tiny) screws which are responsible for retaining the bracket holding the camera strap to the left hand side of the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Item: DSLR Body & Lens

Model: D90 with 18-200 Nikkor lens

Fault: Auto focus jams at certain focal lengths

When/how it happened: Shortly after dropping my camera fairly lightly in sand the lens seems to get stuck a certain focal lengths. If it manually turn the focus ring several times it sometimes frees up, moves a bit and then gets stuck again at another different focal length. I presume that it has got some sand inside that is jamming it up? The camera and lens also need a good clean as they are filthy.

Can you have a look for me? To compound my issue I am going abroad in two weeks and would really like to have my camera back by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Caxton wrote: »

Item: Camera

Model: G10

Fault: Two screws have gone missing from bracket which attach the strap to left side of camera.

Can anybody assist me with sourcing the two (tiny) screws which are responsible for retaining the bracket holding the camera strap to the left hand side of the camera?

Genuine Canon replacement screws for the Canon PowerShot G10 digital camera. This replacement screw fits the bottom of rear cover, lower left rear cover below strap base and retains the strap base.

Only $5.20
    package of 3 screws

Genuine Canon Replacement Parts
    http://www.uscamera.com/cd4-2984.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I have a Rollei Racy HD action cam that I picked up in Germany last year.
    Recent issue is it will work when charging only, once unplugged switches off and won't switch on..
    Is it fubar would you reckon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could just be a shot battery. are they replacable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 msmill

When I shoot a picture with my Canon EOS 300D, 2/3 of the picture (below horizontal line) is dark.
    Not all pixels are pitch-black (bit value 0) and the line between upper part of photo and lower dark part is 'feathered'.
    It looks on the picture as if something is covering the bottom part of the lens (but that is not the case).
    This problem occurs both with/without flash, and when the settings are in Basic/Creative zone
    I have reset the firmware and changed the date-battery and the ordinary battery is fully charged.
    Also tried this: url camerarepair.blogspot.ie/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html, ... but no joy.
    I only use the lens (EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) that came with the camera, so this is the first time I have removed lens from body (= no dirt/damp inside)

I would very much appreciate any opinions on:

-what is the problem (stuck/sticky shutter?)
    -is it worth to pay for sending it to a Canon Authorised Professional Repair Facility
    (only one in Ireland is in Dublin: url: imagesupplysystems.com/)?
    - any ideas of cost of diagnosing/repair compared to simply by a new one?

Thanks
    Anne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

It does look like a shutter problem, when it shoots does the af mirror lift?

Yes, it turns up and then down, but maybe it moves too slow or is delayed somehow.
    But I don't know if that is a mechanical or electronic problem (or both).
    /Anne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

msmill wrote: »
    When I shoot a picture with my Canon EOS 300D, 2/3 of the picture (below horizontal line) is dark.
    Not all pixels are pitch-black (bit value 0) and the line between upper part of photo and lower dark part is 'feathered'.
    It looks on the picture as if something is covering the bottom part of the lens (but that is not the case).
    This problem occurs both with/without flash, and when the settings are in Basic/Creative zone
    I have reset the firmware and changed the date-battery and the ordinary battery is fully charged.
    Also tried this: url camerarepair.blogspot.ie/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html, ... but no joy.
    I only use the lens (EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) that came with the camera, so this is the first time I have removed lens from body (= no dirt/damp inside)

I would very much appreciate any opinions on:

-what is the problem (stuck/sticky shutter?)
    -is it worth to pay for sending it to a Canon Authorised Professional Repair Facility
    (only one in Ireland is in Dublin: url: imagesupplysystems.com/)?
    - any ideas of cost of diagnosing/repair compared to simply by a new one?

Thanks
    Anne

The problem is in shutter blade curtain. I don't think it's worth to send it to Canon :)

TTWNF wrote: »

Item: Lens

Model: 85mm 1.8

Fault: The lens is not focusing correctly....i use single point focusing with the auto-focus and it's focusing slightly to the left of where it should be focusing...... i dropped the lens and i have this problem since.

I think when you dropped it some lenses inside moved and now they are not straight.

Daraflats wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Canon 500D.

Some times the camera will not turn on for a week or two at a time, and then other times it will work normally for a week or two.

I have obviously checked the battery, and have also tried a different battery in the camera - same problems.

Has this happened to anybody before? Or does anybody know what the potential causes could be?

Thanks.

May be water damage?

Zipppy wrote: »
    I have a Rollei Racy HD action cam that I picked up in Germany last year.
    Recent issue is it will work when charging only, once unplugged switches off and won't switch on..
    Is it fubar would you reckon?

Your battery need replacement

DubPauly wrote: »
    Hi,
    Item: DSLR Body
    Model: D5100

Fault:
    90% black photos when lens is set to manual, no photo taken when set to auto. Video says lens error.
    Can see the top part of the photo, the rest is black.
    Tried a different lens, but same issue. Our lens works on another camera.

When/how it happened:
    Son pushed off couch onto wood floor. Maybe a foot height fall.

Any help appreciated
    thanks
    Paul

I think it's shooter/curtain problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Item: Compact Camera

Model: IXUS 115 HS

Fault: Telescopic lens damaged, will not retract into body

When/how it happened: Daughter dropped it

Where can I take this to get an estimate for cost of repair?
    Would I be better in buying her another camera?
    Thanks

Thanks for replys and opinions, I will be looking to buy a new camera instead :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Sorry for my absense posting here, didn't get notification or posts and hadn't checked over the Christmas period.
    Thanks to all who could help others posting also!

skibum wrote: »

Item: Compact Camera

Model: IXUS 115 HS

Fault: Telescopic lens damaged, will not retract into body

When/how it happened: Daughter dropped it

Where can I take this to get an estimate for cost of repair?
    Would I be better in buying her another camera?
    Thanks

Unfortunately it probably has broken gears, fpcs or barrels which would mean it would need a new lens assembly. On this model it is unfortunately cheaper to buy a second hand model as although you could source the parts cheaply off ebay they would not be up to spec and to source from Canon would cost about the same as a second hand model of the same type for parts alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

Hi Guys

Nikon . Lens , Nkkor AF 80 - 200

plastic mounting flange damaged

camera bag fell, minimal imppact !

lesson not to leave lens mounted

would repair be cost effective
    is there any drop in option in dublin area

Bill

MrTime wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Nikon . Lens , Nkkor AF 80 - 200

plastic mounting flange damaged

camera bag fell, minimal imppact !

lesson not to leave lens mounted

would repair be cost effective
    is there any drop in option in dublin area

Bill
    Hi,

Replacing the lens mount should be cost effective. I take it one of the 3 lugs broke off the mount?
    If you would like to PM me I can give you details if you are interested in a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

Thank you
    will make contact soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Mr Hamster.

It looking like I might need to send you my camera for repair. Its a d3100 with just over 6000 on the shutter count.

Im not sure what the problems are, but here are the symptoms .

When I turn the camera on or when its already on the flash pops up and the screen says flash mode. And shutter button will not work.

If I tap the camera on the side the flash mode screen disappears.

When on any mode the mirror and shutter sound is slow, even when set to its fastest level.

It was never dropped and I have updated the software to try and fix it, but to no avail .

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snapshot3

Make: Sigma

Model: 150m 1:2.8 APO Macro DG HMS

Fault: when Image Stabilization is engaged or lens is switched to Manual mode, the view through the eyepiece moves (much more than is usual with IS) when I take a shot (Nikon D7000 or D750) as if the glass inside the lens is moving and a noise can be heard (click) from the lens.Fault is intermittent but getting worse. Lens is just outside the warranty period (1 year)

Hope you can give me some feedback on this fault,
    Thanks for your time.

Mr Hamster.

It looking like I might need to send you my camera for repair. Its a d3100 with just over 6000 on the shutter count.

Im not sure what the problems are, but here are the symptoms .

When I turn the camera on or when its already on the flash pops up and the screen says flash mode. And shutter button will not work.

If I tap the camera on the side the flash mode screen disappears.

When on any mode the mirror and shutter sound is slow, even when set to its fastest level.

It was never dropped and I have updated the software to try and fix it, but to no avail .

What do you think?

Did the camera get wet or drop at all. The symptoms sound erratic which can point to that as a cause.

Will the camera record images or does it just cycle without recording a shot?

If you would like to PM me I can pass on my details to you?

• Advertisement

Snapshot3 wrote: »
    Make: Sigma

Model: 150m 1:2.8 APO Macro DG HMS

Fault: when Image Stabilization is engaged or lens is switched to Manual mode, the view through the eyepiece moves (much more than is usual with IS) when I take a shot (Nikon D7000 or D750) as if the glass inside the lens is moving and a noise can be heard (click) from the lens.Fault is intermittent but getting worse. Lens is just outside the warranty period (1 year)

Hope you can give me some feedback on this fault,
    Thanks for your time.

It sounds like the OS (IS) is possibly faulty. Can you see if the IS stabilises and image as you are composing?
    Sometimes IS units jerk as they activate and deactivate and can make strange noises but it should not jerk whilst in use.

Did the lens take a fall at all?
    I would definitely recommend contacting Sigma about the issue and pleading that it shouldn't be failing that close to the warranty ending etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks Zerohamster. Your inbox is full. cant send you a PM

Thanks Zerohamster. Your inbox is full. cant send you a PM

Cleared a few there, send away.

It sounds like the OS (IS) is possibly faulty. Can you see if the IS stabilises and image as you are composing?
    Sometimes IS units jerk as they activate and deactivate and can make strange noises but it should not jerk whilst in use.

Did the lens take a fall at all?
    I would definitely recommend contacting Sigma about the issue and pleading that it shouldn't be failing that close to the warranty ending etc...

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue.
    The lens has not taken a fall or not been damaged in any way.
    I contacted Hahnel in Cork today (they are the Sigma repair people for Ireland) but they won't deal with the public (they say trade only).
    I got the Lens last year for a Christmas present (2013) from Amazon UK, I think I should contact Sigma UK and see what their reaction is.
    I have done a bit more research on the net, it seems that this is not a common fault but the same thing has happened a number of times (even to some of Amazon customers going by their review feedback) so it is a known issue with this lens but Sigma are not admitting it exists.

Thanks again for your reply and advice on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

I had the pleasure of contacting zerohamster over the weekend re an earlier post and found him to be extremly helpful and courtious.
    I will be sending him my 350d for a clean in the next few days.
    Highly reccomended.

• Advertisement

Snapshot3 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me on this issue.
    The lens has not taken a fall or not been damaged in any way.
    I contacted Hahnel in Cork today (they are the Sigma repair people for Ireland) but they won't deal with the public (they say trade only).
    I got the Lens last year for a Christmas present (2013) from Amazon UK, I think I should contact Sigma UK and see what their reaction is.
    I have done a bit more research on the net, it seems that this is not a common fault but the same thing has happened a number of times (even to some of Amazon customers going by their review feedback) so it is a known issue with this lens but Sigma are not admitting it exists.

Thanks again for your reply and advice on this one.

No problem, I hope you get sorted!

cortinaG wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of contacting zerohamster over the weekend re an earlier post and found him to be extremly helpful and courtious.
    I will be sending him my 350d for a clean in the next few days.
    Highly reccomended.
    Thanks CortinaG!

Just a follow up on the Sigma 150mm Macro
    Got in contact with Hahnel Industries Ltd in Cork again and very helpful this time.
    Talked to a guy called Liam Ryan (he seems to be the Sigma guy there, very helpful, sent him the lens
    it needs a PCB and OS service, no charge for any parts and only a small charge for postage and work carried out.

So very happy with the result, must say Liam is a very good man to deal with and great service from Hahnel.
    Thanks for the advice here Zerohamster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭rurz23

hi,
    i have a nikon d40x with an 18-55mm lens. I went to use it the other day only to find that the lens will not move from 55mm setting and when i took it out of camera there is a small bit of the plastic on the inside broken. If i place the lens back on v.carefully it will still take photos but not zoom etc. and other times the circular piece of plastic moves and makes the screen/shot black. i am v.basic with cameras and would appreciate any help. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Hi, i have a canon efs18-135 is. something loose inside and rattlin', catches the zoom and focus.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Model: 550D

Fault: Shutter button has stopped working. Happened on holiday, first day working fine, second day took 2-3 photos (needed extra force on the shutter) and now it wont work at all. It wasn't dropped or damaged by water or anything like that. It was my first time taking it abroad on a holiday so I minded it like a baby! It's about 3 years old but has only been used occasionally so it can't be worn already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Hi zerohamster,

I was directed here after enquiring about camera cleaning in Dublin. So I've no specific problem as such, just looking for an expert to give it the once over. :)

My OP is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Hi hamster

Camera: Toshiba Camelio S20

Problem: LCD viewscreen no longer level when extended and off 10 degrees.

Can I repair it myself?

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Hi hamster

Camera: Toshiba Camelio S20

Problem: LCD viewscreen no longer level when extended and off 10 degrees.

Can I repair it myself?

Hi,

Sounds like it's a little wobbly?
    If so and you can access the screws then it should be doable yourself but if not then I am not familiar enough with this model to give better advice unfortunately.

mary90 wrote: »

Model: 550D

Fault: Shutter button has stopped working. Happened on holiday, first day working fine, second day took 2-3 photos (needed extra force on the shutter) and now it wont work at all. It wasn't dropped or damaged by water or anything like that. It was my first time taking it abroad on a holiday so I minded it like a baby! It's about 3 years old but has only been used occasionally so it can't be worn already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the post.
    I would have to have a look at the camera to figure out what is wrong with it as from your description I can't tell.
    PM me for details if you would like.

• Advertisement

wex96 wrote: »
    Hi, i have a canon efs18-135 is. something loose inside and rattlin', catches the zoom and focus.
    thanks

Sounds like a loose screw on the cam barrel inside.
    Send me a PM and I can give you more details etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvey Wallbanger

Lens: Mir 24M 35m f/2.0

type: Russian manual lens

Fault: The main problem is that the aperture wheel is stuck and wont stop up/down. Also, it originally came with the option of either a Nikon or M42 mount, and as a result the small screws which hold the mount have gotten weak and lose, so would also need replacing.

I saw you're based in Greystones, funny coincidence as I grew up there - living in town now but am regularly out so would happily drop it over to you if you are familiar with fixing old manual lenses?

In either case any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cfrona

Hi, I have a navitar tv lens with aperture blades loose, can you help in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Hi.
    Camera 500d
    Lens 18-200 sigma

I have 2 problems the first being when i line up a pic through the view finder and take it then on the screen the pic is crooked. Also when looking through the view finder the info at the bottom is blurry and wont come clear when i i move the little dial thing

Zebrano wrote: »
    Hi.
    Camera 500d
    Lens 18-200 sigma

I have 2 problems the first being when i line up a pic through the view finder and take it then on the screen the pic is crooked. Also when looking through the view finder the info at the bottom is blurry and wont come clear when i i move the little dial thing

I believe some part of the dioptre is broken or misaligned which is why you are seeing both crooked images and the dioptre is fully extended without the ability to adjust.
    The main cause for that fault is either impact or forcing the dioptre dial too far (impact most likely though).
    PM me if you are interested in repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I believe some part of the dioptre is broken or misaligned which is why you are seeing both crooked images and the dioptre is fully extended without the ability to adjust.
    The main cause for that fault is either impact or forcing the dioptre dial too far (impact most likely though).
    PM me if you are interested in repair.
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cfrona

Lens:Navitar 75mm manual focus lens
    The focusing is not accurate, it is focusing past infinity.
    I was wondering if it can be adjusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭jbv

Have 2 Canon genuine batteries.
    Last night worked fine.
    This morning changed battery and the above message comes on when both batteries are on.
    Both are charging fine.
    Camera works fine, however battery level is blank.
    Is the batteries or the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭blockman

Hi Zerohamster,

I have that dreaded error 99 on a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Tried all the usual fixs, clean contacts, re-insert CF card etc but no good.

Camera works fine with other lens. Could do with your advice on what action to take next.

Regards

• Advertisement

blockman wrote: »
    Hi Zerohamster,

I have that dreaded error 99 on a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Tried all the usual fixs, clean contacts, re-insert CF card etc but no good.

Camera works fine with other lens. Could do with your advice on what action to take next.

Regards

Sounds like the diaphragm has failed.
    PM me if you are interested in repair and I can give you details.

Advertisement