Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

Make: Nikon

Item: Lens

Model: 85mm 1.8

Fault: The lens is not focusing correctly....i use single point focusing with the auto-focus and it's focusing slightly to the left of where it should be focusing...... i dropped the lens and i have this problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Make: Fuji

Model: Fujica AX-3

Item: Shutter

Problem: The shutter is damaged, will not open or close fully. Any help on where I can get this repaired would be hugely appreciated.

Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Got sorted sorry for post

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

Hi,

I have a Canon 500D.

Some times the camera will not turn on for a week or two at a time, and then other times it will work normally for a week or two.

I have obviously checked the battery, and have also tried a different battery in the camera - same problems.

Has this happened to anybody before? Or does anybody know what the potential causes could be?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Hi Folks I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 camera and in the past week a mark has appeared on the LCD screen where you view the pictures, it does not affect the taken pictures but just wondering if anyone has any idea what it is, I thought it may be dampness, is it possible to remove this mark. Thanks in advance I have attached a picture of the problem

20141210_172800_zps7daf6ba7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

It's not something sticky on the outside of the LCD by any chance? I've never seen marks like that before. Generally if the LCD is damaged you will get a blotch of black with lines going straight up. Can't really tell with the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

candytog wrote: »
    It's not something sticky on the outside of the LCD by any chance? I've never seen marks like that before. Generally if the LCD is damaged you will get a blotch of black with lines going straight up. Can't really tell with the pic.

No the outside is perfect its on the inside and keeps changing shape if I clean the screen, to show the mark I took a picture of a white envelope as you wont see it so clear when there is a picture on the screen.

20141210_172738_zps34f7f14f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Aerohead wrote: »
    No the outside is perfect its on the inside and keeps changing shape if I clean the screen, to show the mark I took a picture of a white envelope as you wont see it so clear when there is a picture on the screen.

20141210_172738_zps34f7f14f.jpg

It could be moisture formed between the layers of the LCD which would explain why it changes shape when you press it lightly.

Maybe try getting one of those thirsty bags they use for water damaged phones to try and draw the moisture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Make: SIGMA

Item: 150mm f/2.8 macro

Fault: Dust and mould inside lenses

Where can I get it cleaned and how much would it cost me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ivanob

Sigma 17-70mm DC macro lens
    Fault: it fell, lots of little bits jiggling around inside
    Is it worth trying to get it fixed, or is it most likely dead for all time?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Supes

Does anyone know where I can get my 50mm fixed please?

Tried contacting Hamster but never got a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dub404notFound

Hi,
    Item: DSLR Body
    Model: D5100

Fault:
    90% black photos when lens is set to manual, no photo taken when set to auto. Video says lens error.
    Can see the top part of the photo, the rest is black.
    Tried a different lens, but same issue. Our lens works on another camera.

When/how it happened:
    Son pushed off couch onto wood floor. Maybe a foot height fall.

Any help appreciated
    thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

Make: Canon

Item: Camera

Model: G10

Fault: Two screws have gone missing from bracket which attach the strap to left side of camera.

Can anybody assist me with sourcing the two (tiny) screws which are responsible for retaining the bracket holding the camera strap to the left hand side of the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Item: DSLR Body & Lens

Model: D90 with 18-200 Nikkor lens

Fault: Auto focus jams at certain focal lengths

When/how it happened: Shortly after dropping my camera fairly lightly in sand the lens seems to get stuck a certain focal lengths. If it manually turn the focus ring several times it sometimes frees up, moves a bit and then gets stuck again at another different focal length. I presume that it has got some sand inside that is jamming it up? The camera and lens also need a good clean as they are filthy.

Can you have a look for me? To compound my issue I am going abroad in two weeks and would really like to have my camera back by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Caxton wrote: »

Item: Camera

Model: G10

Fault: Two screws have gone missing from bracket which attach the strap to left side of camera.

Can anybody assist me with sourcing the two (tiny) screws which are responsible for retaining the bracket holding the camera strap to the left hand side of the camera?

Genuine Canon replacement screws for the Canon PowerShot G10 digital camera. This replacement screw fits the bottom of rear cover, lower left rear cover below strap base and retains the strap base.

Only $5.20
    package of 3 screws

Genuine Canon Replacement Parts
    http://www.uscamera.com/cd4-2984.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I have a Rollei Racy HD action cam that I picked up in Germany last year.
    Recent issue is it will work when charging only, once unplugged switches off and won't switch on..
    Is it fubar would you reckon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could just be a shot battery. are they replacable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 msmill

When I shoot a picture with my Canon EOS 300D, 2/3 of the picture (below horizontal line) is dark.
    Not all pixels are pitch-black (bit value 0) and the line between upper part of photo and lower dark part is 'feathered'.
    It looks on the picture as if something is covering the bottom part of the lens (but that is not the case).
    This problem occurs both with/without flash, and when the settings are in Basic/Creative zone
    I have reset the firmware and changed the date-battery and the ordinary battery is fully charged.
    Also tried this: url camerarepair.blogspot.ie/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html, ... but no joy.
    I only use the lens (EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) that came with the camera, so this is the first time I have removed lens from body (= no dirt/damp inside)

I would very much appreciate any opinions on:

-what is the problem (stuck/sticky shutter?)
    -is it worth to pay for sending it to a Canon Authorised Professional Repair Facility
    (only one in Ireland is in Dublin: url: imagesupplysystems.com/)?
    - any ideas of cost of diagnosing/repair compared to simply by a new one?

Thanks
    Anne

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

It does look like a shutter problem, when it shoots does the af mirror lift?

Yes, it turns up and then down, but maybe it moves too slow or is delayed somehow.
    But I don't know if that is a mechanical or electronic problem (or both).
    /Anne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

msmill wrote: »
    When I shoot a picture with my Canon EOS 300D, 2/3 of the picture (below horizontal line) is dark.
    Not all pixels are pitch-black (bit value 0) and the line between upper part of photo and lower dark part is 'feathered'.
    It looks on the picture as if something is covering the bottom part of the lens (but that is not the case).
    This problem occurs both with/without flash, and when the settings are in Basic/Creative zone
    I have reset the firmware and changed the date-battery and the ordinary battery is fully charged.
    Also tried this: url camerarepair.blogspot.ie/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html, ... but no joy.
    I only use the lens (EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) that came with the camera, so this is the first time I have removed lens from body (= no dirt/damp inside)

I would very much appreciate any opinions on:

-what is the problem (stuck/sticky shutter?)
    -is it worth to pay for sending it to a Canon Authorised Professional Repair Facility
    (only one in Ireland is in Dublin: url: imagesupplysystems.com/)?
    - any ideas of cost of diagnosing/repair compared to simply by a new one?

Thanks
    Anne

The problem is in shutter blade curtain. I don't think it's worth to send it to Canon :)

TTWNF wrote: »

Item: Lens

Model: 85mm 1.8

Fault: The lens is not focusing correctly....i use single point focusing with the auto-focus and it's focusing slightly to the left of where it should be focusing...... i dropped the lens and i have this problem since.

I think when you dropped it some lenses inside moved and now they are not straight.

Daraflats wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Canon 500D.

Some times the camera will not turn on for a week or two at a time, and then other times it will work normally for a week or two.

I have obviously checked the battery, and have also tried a different battery in the camera - same problems.

Has this happened to anybody before? Or does anybody know what the potential causes could be?

Thanks.

May be water damage?

Zipppy wrote: »
    I have a Rollei Racy HD action cam that I picked up in Germany last year.
    Recent issue is it will work when charging only, once unplugged switches off and won't switch on..
    Is it fubar would you reckon?

Your battery need replacement

DubPauly wrote: »
    Hi,
    Item: DSLR Body
    Model: D5100

Fault:
    90% black photos when lens is set to manual, no photo taken when set to auto. Video says lens error.
    Can see the top part of the photo, the rest is black.
    Tried a different lens, but same issue. Our lens works on another camera.

When/how it happened:
    Son pushed off couch onto wood floor. Maybe a foot height fall.

Any help appreciated
    thanks
    Paul

I think it's shooter/curtain problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Item: Compact Camera

Model: IXUS 115 HS

Fault: Telescopic lens damaged, will not retract into body

When/how it happened: Daughter dropped it

Where can I take this to get an estimate for cost of repair?
    Would I be better in buying her another camera?
    Thanks

Thanks for replys and opinions, I will be looking to buy a new camera instead :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Sorry for my absense posting here, didn't get notification or posts and hadn't checked over the Christmas period.
    Thanks to all who could help others posting also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

skibum wrote: »

Item: Compact Camera

Model: IXUS 115 HS

Fault: Telescopic lens damaged, will not retract into body

When/how it happened: Daughter dropped it

Where can I take this to get an estimate for cost of repair?
    Would I be better in buying her another camera?
    Thanks

Unfortunately it probably has broken gears, fpcs or barrels which would mean it would need a new lens assembly. On this model it is unfortunately cheaper to buy a second hand model as although you could source the parts cheaply off ebay they would not be up to spec and to source from Canon would cost about the same as a second hand model of the same type for parts alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

Hi Guys

Nikon . Lens , Nkkor AF 80 - 200

plastic mounting flange damaged

camera bag fell, minimal imppact !

lesson not to leave lens mounted

would repair be cost effective
    is there any drop in option in dublin area

Bill

Advertisement