Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE PTS?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    any truth in the rumour the the HSE are gonna recruit EMTs for PTS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

they`re supposed to take on this october for PTS.. doubt its going to happen to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

47 wrote: »
    they`re supposed to take on this october for PTS.. doubt its going to happen to be honest.

well that'll be interesting anyway...
    i heard it could be a back door route to paramedic training....

emtally wrote: »
    well that'll be interesting anyway...
    i heard it could be a back door route to paramedic training....

That's one way of looking at it, however, you`d still need to meet the educational requirements to train as a paramedic. A friend of mine beleives that he will bypass the any prerequisites to become a paramedic provided he is a HSE EMT. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BCONNA

hi all
    forgive my intrusion as im new here {1st post:confused:} but have to ask, Ive seen in other forums that if you have an EMT cert, PHECC approved, you wont need leaving cert, can anybody confirm this for me?
    Hope to start EMT coarse infew weeks with cival defence, would love to be in with half a shout so if I have to sit LC so be it, If so would maths and biology suffice?
    I have merrit in maths under LCA (leaving cert applied) presume this wont meet requirments.
    Thanks

You need your leaving cert five subjects icluding maths and a science subject although I beleive they accept the EMT qualification in lieu of not having a science subject. In addition to that you need a c1 and d1 licence. Best of luck with your EMT course.

• Advertisement

I HAVE to sit 5 subjects Im further back than I thought, better get on the ball so, feck back to school for me so!!!!:(

You need your leaving cert five subjects icluding maths and a science subject although I beleive they accept the EMT qualification in lieu of not having a science subject. In addition to that you need a c1 and d1 licence. Best of luck with your EMT course.

correct info...

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

you only need c1 to apply. d1 required before you complete your internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Excuse my ignorance but what does PTS mean? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Patient Transfer Service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Thanks NGA!

Im in the civil defecne ... you would think i know what it is :D

HI guys

In relation to L/C qualifaction, I got email today confirming acceptance to a part time degree in construction management BSc {i know - construction-mental!!} leval 7??
    Would this suffice or am I like zillions out there just trying to bend the rules?
    This coarse is part time, on line, Im just realy confused now, eg, If recruitment starts withen 12 months, I have leaving cert applied, occuptional first aid, surly by then EMT and C licence, not to mention that ive taken on a BSc??
    Are they realy that hung up on L/C??
    Do I HAVE to take 5 subjects-if so which would you recomand
    Maths, Biology for sure :chemistry?
    Im 33 going on 65 right now Im thinking to hell with con management but if I turn this down and get knocked back in paramedic interview/test will feel like some twot

If I take leaving, recruit starts half way thru, will they take the fact that Im at least making an effort?

Many thanks.

BCONNA wrote: »
    HI guys

In relation to L/C qualifaction, I got email today confirming acceptance to a part time degree in construction management BSc {i know - construction-mental!!} leval 7??
    Would this suffice or am I like zillions out there just trying to bend the rules?
    This coarse is part time, on line, Im just realy confused now, eg, If recruitment starts withen 12 months, I have leaving cert applied, occuptional first aid, surly by then EMT and C licence, not to mention that ive taken on a BSc??
    Im 33 going on 65 right now Im thinking to hell with con management but if I turn this down and get knocked back in paramedic interview/test will feel like some twot

If I take leaving, recruit starts half way thru, will they take the fact that Im at least making an effort?

Many thanks.

I do not think they'll accept the fact that you have taken on a BSC in Construction management because firstly you still do not meet the the minimum requirement, However it may be a different kettle of fish if you had a degree. The best thing to do would be to go back and do the leaving. At least then you are certain you meet the education requirements. It would be a real pain in the teeth if you got your degree only to be informed that they still require you to have a leaving. If you are interested the Dublin Fire Brigade you only require your junior with 5 passes two of which must be in English and Maths. (I believe that the DFB may be changing the recruitment criteria)

You'll get trained to be a paramedic and firefighter.

BCONNA wrote: »
    HI guys

Many thanks.

It's either you HAVE the LC with the required subjects and the required grades (with PHECC EMT ticket currently accepted in lieu of LC science subject)

OR

you HAVE a degree from a recognised third level institution

OR

you HAVE LC equivalent from another territory

Making the effort doesn't count unfortunately, it's a simple elimination process, you meet the criteria or you don't.

PTS is the Patient Transport Service. Which should end up taking on Omega and Alpha level call categories in the near future, thus freeing up Emergency Ambulances for Bravo to Echo category calls.

coolmoose wrote: »

PTS is the Patient Transport Service. Which should end up taking on Omega and Alpha level call categories in the near future, thus freeing up Emergency Ambulances for Bravo to Echo category calls.

....any idea how near "near future" is?
    and what are your thoughts on this being a possible "back-door" to paramedic training?

....any idea how near "near future" is?
    and what are your thoughts on this being a possible "back-door" to paramedic training?

Near future is alleged to be before Christmas this year (Sept/Oct allegedly), but the rumour mill can never be taken for truth.

As regards it been a back door for Paramedic training in the future, it's a possibility, but if that's the case then the same entry criteria with regards to LC etc. will probably be applied to this competition when it's advertised because it's actually UCD that set those for the DipEMS given to Paramedics, not the HSE.

Like I said, it's certainly a possibility!

Main things for people interested in PTS to sort out are, I would imagine, driving licence (C1, and if possible D1), and possibly EMT ticket (EMT training may be provided after recruitment, nobody is certain of this though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Rumor mill is still running rife when it comes to HSE PTS recruitment.

Here is an interesting article where it gets a mention.

http://www.sbpost.ie/newsfeatures/ambulances-under-pressure-58640.html

Quite possible that if the HSE can save what has been mentioned that it may very well indeed take the decision to sub contract the PTS to the Private Ambulance Service.
    HSE are looking to cut money from everywhere so the decision to allow the service to be provided at a much cheaper cost would look pretty attractive right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Expressions of Interest are currently with members of the National Ambulance Service with regard to the Intermediate Care Vehicles (PTS). That is EMT's (longer serving staff members) and Paramedics who wish to move from the 'Emergency Ambulances' to the ICV service. I am unsure of what timeframe remains with current staff before any advertised competition for new entrants into the ICV service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Expressions of Interest are currently with members of the National Ambulance Service with regard to the Intermediate Care Vehicles (PTS). That is EMT's (longer serving staff members) and Paramedics who wish to move from the 'Emergency Ambulances' to the ICV service. I am unsure of what timeframe remains with current staff before any advertised competition for new entrants into the ICV service.

Is this correct:

Emergency Ambulance - Big yellow taxi with all the gadgets & 1 stretcher?

Intermediate Care Vehicle - Big yellow taxi with no gadgets & 1 stretcher?

PTS Bus - Big yellow taxi minibus with just seats and no gadgets and no stretcher?

This goes against the whole idea for freeing up experienced Paramedics for emergency calls. This is why the PTS was created in the first place and also to save money on overtime. There are plenty of well trained EMT's out there that are hungry for the opportunity for employment and experience, if this happens then it becomes a closed shop which I feel is very wrong.
    I hope these jobs really do go as a national campaign/competition as there are plenty out there looking for work. This country is rotton in nepotism and this has got to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

scholar007 wrote: »
    Is this correct:

Emergency Ambulance - Big yellow taxi with all the gadgets & 1 stretcher?

Intermediate Care Vehicle - Big yellow taxi with no gadgets & 1 stretcher?

PTS Bus - Big yellow taxi minibus with just seats and no gadgets and no stretcher?

Emergency Ambulance - Yes

Intermediate Care Vehicle - If its going to be a transitioning of what some areas (HSE NE) have then its more along the lines of an old style ambulance. White, with Two stretchers and plenty of seating, along with basic life support equipment (AED and Oxygen). Its a long time since I was in one so I cant recall exactly what equipment. In the past they really did vary by region. Some have emergency lighting / sirens.

PTS Bus - HSE PTS Buses in many/most areas are still white. They may have Oxygen, AED and/or an advanced first aid bag.

AFAIK There was (and possibly still is) not set standards of equipment for Non Emergency Ambulances.

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    This goes against the whole idea for freeing up experienced Paramedics for emergency calls. This is why the PTS was created in the first place and also to save money on overtime. There are plenty of well trained EMT's out there that are hungry for the opportunity for employment and experience, if this happens then it becomes a closed shop which I feel is very wrong.
    I hope these jobs really do go as a national campaign/competition as there are plenty out there looking for work. This country is rotton in nepotism and this has got to change.

It's nothing to do with closed shop and it's got nothing to do with freeing up experienced Paramedics or saving on overtime, the ICV positions are permanent positions. There are still a number of EMT grades operating within the ranks of the Ambulance service. These EMT's will soon have to step down from emergency vehicles (according to guidelines), so do we just dump them on the dole queue along with their many years of experience, or give them a chance to remain in the ambulance service dealing with people as patients as that is their area of expertise, albeit the new role won't be in an 'emergency' role.
    The number of Paramedics eligible for the ICV would be minimal and there would be no Advanced Paramedics eligible. The number of positions in the ICV service will be over 400, that's well over the numbers of those currently within the service that would be eligible to apply for the ICV so there will still be a 'few' hundred positions at least, available to offer out to competition.

It's nothing to do with closed shop and it's got nothing to do with freeing up experienced Paramedics or saving on overtime, the ICV positions are permanent positions. There are still a number of EMT grades operating within the ranks of the Ambulance service. These EMT's will soon have to step down from emergency vehicles (according to guidelines), so do we just dump them on the dole queue along with their many years of experience, or give them a chance to remain in the ambulance service dealing with people as patients as that is their area of expertise, albeit the new role won't be in an 'emergency' role.
    The number of Paramedics eligible for the ICV would be minimal and there would be no Advanced Paramedics eligible. The number of positions in the ICV service will be over 400, that's well over the numbers of those currently within the service that would be eligible to apply for the ICV so there will still be a 'few' hundred positions at least, available to offer out to competition.

Don't be silly of coarse you don't dump and experienced EMT on the dole queue, what should be done is they should be upskilled to Paramedic and be allowed to retain their position doing emergency work. HSE saves on recruitment and EMT's get upskilled. Win/Win really...
    If the PTS system was not created to free up Paramedics for emergency calls and help to ease overtime then what was it created for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Don't be silly of coarse you don't dump and experienced EMT on the dole queue, what should be done is they should be upskilled to Paramedic and be allowed to retain their position doing emergency work. HSE saves on recruitment and EMT's get upskilled. Win/Win really...
    If the PTS system was not created to free up Paramedics for emergency calls and help to ease overtime then what was it created for?

IIRC anybody not upskilled already or in the very near future (I forget the deadline) has to stay at EMT Level.

Any HSE EMT's I know who didnt upskill decided not to of their own accord, for various personal reasons. They however were kept on as they were still working in accordance with their contracts. I am sure that many/most of the HSE" Old Style" EMT's are in a similar position, so will not be upskilled.

Its a win/win for the PTS service if these personnel join it as it means it will not be staffed entirely by EMTs who are recently trained without the old style hundreds of hours practical experience. They can share their experience and knowledge with the new PTS crews.

TylerIE wrote: »
    IIRC anybody not upskilled already or in the very near future (I forget the deadline) has to stay at EMT Level.

Any HSE EMT's I know who didnt upskill decided not to of their own accord, for various personal reasons. They however were kept on as they were still working in accordance with their contracts. I am sure that many/most of the HSE" Old Style" EMT's are in a similar position, so will not be upskilled.

Its a win/win for the PTS service if these personnel join it as it means it will not be staffed entirely by EMTs who are recently trained without the old style hundreds of hours practical experience. They can share their experience and knowledge with the new PTS crews.

Much better explanation Tyler, wasn't aware that upskilling had already been offered. I agree 100% would much rather a crew with a least one experienced EMT as opposed to two newly trained recruits. If it was me I would much rather be with a crew member that I could learn something from.

Calling people silly will only get this discussion locked as I believe slagging or insulting board members is frowned upon.

"I hope these jobs really do go as a national campaign/competition as there are plenty out there looking for work. This country is rotton in nepotism and this has got to change."

If you're unfamiliar with the workings of the Ambulance Service or indeed the current description of the ICV then you should have refrained from making a comment like your comment I've quoted in italics above.
    So you see I wasn't being "Silly", I was just explaining that current serving EMT's and some Paramedics have been offered the chance to 'express an interest' in the ICV service before it is advertised.

Calling people silly will only get this discussion locked as I believe slagging or insulting board members is frowned upon.

"I hope these jobs really do go as a national campaign/competition as there are plenty out there looking for work. This country is rotton in nepotism and this has got to change."

If you're unfamiliar with the workings of the Ambulance Service or indeed the current description of the ICV then you should have refrained from making a comment like your comment I've quoted in italics above.
    So you see I wasn't being "Silly", I was just explaining that current serving EMT's and some Paramedics have been offered the chance to 'express an interest' in the ICV service before it is advertised.

Thats fair enough Bang Bang didn't think the word silly would offend or infringe upon the rules. Apologies for any offence taken, none was meant and I should have made my point in a different manner. I have a much better understanding of your post now thanks :)

any more news on this subject? last i heard it was supposed to go live mid november...:confused:

any more news on this subject? last i heard it was supposed to go live mid november...:confused:

Waiting on approval from department of finance is what I was told, was supposed to be September then October and now nothing at all...no idea really as its all hear say

• Advertisement

Negotiations regarding Advanced Paramedic deployment/rosters etc still ongoing, it's all tied in with the ICV so no move on it yet.

Advertisement