Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

shamrocks-gaa-cork-pay-respect-to-jimmy-doyle-25-06-15-630x231.jpg

Lovely touch by Shamrocks Gaa club in Cork as Jimmy passes through on his final journey

That really is a fantastic tribute. Well done to Shamrocks GAA club.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Our win came at a bit of a cost tonight as our very talented centre forward Stephen Quirke looked to have landed awkwardly and picked up a nasty looking knee injury. A double blow considering he now possibly stands to miss the munster hurling and football minor finals

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hope he`s okay for Sunday week , and don`t have the same run of bad luck as his brother who is up there along side Steven and Colin as one of the best young Footballers in the Country !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Hope he`s okay for Sunday week , and don`t have the same run of bad luck as his brother who is up there along side Steven and Colin as one of the best young Footballers in the Country !

I'm no medical expert but I have to say it doesnt look good, I was at the game and there was no contact from anyone else, he seemed to jar it in the ground, he received medical attention from our physio ( the bauld Paddy O'Brien) and attempted to play on, as soon as he put any pressure on it he collapsed into a heap again, certainly looked like some sort of ligament damage, but hopefully not.

danganabu wrote: »
    I'm no medical expert but I have to say it doesnt look good, I was at the game and there was no contact from anyone else, he seemed to jar it in the ground, he received medical attention from our physio ( the bauld Paddy O'Brien) and attempted to play on, as soon as he put any pressure on it he collapsed into a heap again, certainly looked like some sort of ligament damage, but hopefully not.

Initial prognosis not good I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Boherlahan relegated yesterday by Moyne, wins for Toome and Templederry in the North and a win for Brackens in the Mid.

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Boherlahan relegated yesterday by Moyne, wins for Toome and Templederry in the North and a win for Brackens in the Mid.

With the bit of luck one of the B teams of the likes of Thurles or Drom will win the intermediate and we will have a net increase of 0 teams to the Senior ranks next year and whittle down those numbers quicker.

Boherlahan had Conor Gleeson as one of their star performers a mere two years ago aged 43. No disrespect to Conor who was a brilliant servant for us in his day but it doesnt paint their underage setup in a good light to say he can command a place at 43 and it doesnt paint the other team in a good light to say that he excelled in the match.

Aside from Darragh Hickey i cant think of any other player of note that has come through the ranks and Hickey disappeared as quick as he came through for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Newport are strongly fancied to win the Intermediate this year, potentially another team in the North.

Newport are strongly fancied to win the Intermediate this year, potentially another team in the North.

That will make 15. Nothing against Newport to be honest but 15 out of 18 teams next year could potentially be from North Tipp displays a very unhealthy inbalance. As ive said previously, 30 of the 66 hurling clubs will be senior also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just what isn't needed...
    That will make 15. Nothing against Newport to be honest but 15 out of 18 teams next year could potentially be from North Tipp displays a very unhealthy inbalance. As ive said previously, 30 of the 66 hurling clubs will be senior also.
    How many would be enough/appropriate in North Tipp to be senior?
    There should be at max about 16-20 senior clubs, then another 16-20 as intermediate with the rest junior. That's 3 fairly equal championships in relation to numbers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

There should be at max about 16-20 senior clubs, then another 16-20 as intermediate with the rest junior. That's 3 fairly equal championships in relation to numbers...

What would you do to change things ?
    How would you change things so that at max there would be about 16-20 senior clubs , then another 16-20 as intermediate with the rest junior ?

• Advertisement

What would you do to change things?
    How would you change things so that at max there would be about 16-20 senior clubs, then another 16-20 as intermediate with the rest junior?
    Relegate much more sides than they are doing. Look at the records of clubs over a period of 3-6 years etc.
    Look at clubs records in their division and county championship.
    What would you propose to reduce numbers of senior clubs to an appropriate level and same to get more clubs competing in a second/third tier of club competition?

The way id see it if we had a 16 team county championship and 16 of them were from North Tipp then i would accept that they were the 16 best teams in the county. It would be then up to the others to improve on numbers. We need to remove politics from Tipperary hurling and focus on quality. By all means have the divisional championships between A and B if they so wish but i dont think they should have any bearing on the county championship.

Senior A - 16
    Senior B - 16
    Inters - 16 (+ any 'B' sides of the strong clubs)
    Junior A and B, keep current systems in place.

There is 4 clubs who play the highest level at Junior B in the county (Clerihan, Marlfield, Knock, and Killea AFAIK).

The way id see it if we had a 16 team county championship and 16 of them were from North Tipp then i would accept that they were the 16 best teams in the county. It would be then up to the others to improve on numbers. We need to remove politics from Tipperary hurling and focus on quality. By all means have the divisional championships between A and B if they so wish but i dont think they should have any bearing on the county championship.

Senior A - 16
    Senior B - 16

There is 4 clubs who play the highest level at Junior B in the county (Clerihan, Marlfield, Knock, and Killea AFAIK).
    I would disagree with some things. You need some form of divisional representation from all and we need to reduce numbers of senior clubs but at least 1/2 from all divisions should be guaranteed place to help county as a whole.
    Reducing numbers of senior clubs would help with adding divisional senior sides to help players from smaller/weaker clubs who cant compete at senior but are of the level to play senior
    Yes i totally agree on playing divisional championships but their role in county championship should be changed

Draw in the morning for Football qualifiers @ 8.30 .

Big win for Kilsheelan Kilcash in the South Senior Football Championship over Ballyporren and a surprise as Ardfinnan beat Moyle Rovers . In County Football Arravale beat Loughmore and Aherlow beat Drom and Inch by 5 . Drom and Inch are doing well in their first year of Senior Football . Seen them destroy Shannon Rovers in the County Junior Final 2 years ago , James Woodlock was very impressive .

Senior A - 16
    Senior B - 16

Rosegreen , Solohead ?

Rosegreen , Solohead ?

Cheers id forgotten about those. Are Rosegreen A or B though? Solohead are definately B

B , A for Football , lost the County Junior A Football to Nenagh Eire Og in 2010 , Nenagh haven`t field in Adult Football since which is disgrace as had Rosegreen won it they would be over the moon to be playing Intermediate !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,703 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Louth at home in the football qualifiers, louth, poor this year, we should be beating these handy!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Louth at home in the football qualifiers, louth, poor this year, we should be beating these handy!

Probably the nicest draw we could have got. Is this already fixed for the Saturday? It would be quite a triple header on the Sunday with the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Of all the teams to get this is the best draw for Tipp. Take nothing for granted though, Louth will be no push over that's for sure.

Just looks at David Powers Wexford on Saturday. That was some result against Down

• Advertisement

Paddico wrote: »
    Of all the teams to get this is the best draw for Tipp. Take nothing for granted though, Louth will be no push over that's for sure.

Just looks at David Powers Wexford on Saturday. That was some result against Down

We beat them already in the League away .

B , A for Football , lost the County Junior A Football to Nenagh Eire Og in 2010 , Nenagh haven`t field in Adult Football since which is disgrace as had Rosegreen won it they would be over the moon to be playing Intermediate !

Why is it a disgrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

We beat them already in the League away .

If ye dont beat Louth by a cricket score, there will be something strange going on. This is the poorest Louth team in living memory & after watching the pace (and I use the word pace very loosely) that we played at on Saturday, I actually fear what will happen when we play anyone decent.

On the plus side, it would be nice to see the hurling live & up close!!!

Why is it a disgrace?
    Nenagh won final yet haven't fielded in adult grades since but if Rosegreen had they def would have played intermediate which Nenagh haven't.

Nenagh won final yet haven't fielded in adult grades since but if Rosegreen had they def would have played intermediate which Nenagh haven't.

I'm well aware of the facts I just dont see what the disgrace is, Nenagh are not obliged to field a football team if the interest isn't there, as for Rosegreen if they were unable to beat a team who hadn't kicked a football in years then they had no business in the Intermediate grade.

I'm well aware of the facts I just dont see what the disgrace is, Nenagh are not obliged to field a football team if the interest isn't there, as for Rosegreen if they were unable to beat a team who hadn't kicked a football in years then they had no business in the Intermediate grade.
    Nenagh haven't played since winning then is the issue and is the disgrace considering Rosegreen would almost certainly have went on and played at the higher level if theyd won..
    Rosegreen didn't lose to a team that hadn't kicked a football In years... Nenagh have had sides playing junior A... virtually every year....

Nenagh haven't played since winning then is the issue and is the disgrace considering Rosegreen would almost certainly have went on and played at the higher level if theyd won..
    Rosegreen didn't lose to a team that hadn't kicked a football In years... Nenagh have had sides playing junior A... virtually every year....

Nenagh have never held a single training session for adult football in 15 years, my own club won the Junior County final the year after Nenagh and we had to stop on the way to the County Semi Final to buy a football, football in north Tipp will never be anymore than a joke. We played an Intermediate North Final last year for the title for 2 years as noone was bothered playing it the year before the attendance at the North Final was 17!

But the interest is there , I could name plenty of lads from the Town who want to play Football . I know a lad who was County Minor in the not too distant past and was livid when Kenyons folded .
    A funny thing , I was out for a few skites on Saturday Night and a met a lad heavily involved in the Club in Nenagh and he said to me he would love to set up a separate Football Club in the Town if he could get the commitment of enough people , I told him I would help out if he ever was to pursue this !

Nenagh have never held a single training session for adult football in 15 years, my own club won the Junior County final the year after Nenagh and we had to stop on the way to the County Semi Final to buy a football, football in north Tipp will never be anymore than a joke. We played an Intermediate North Final last year for the title for 2 years as noone was bothered playing it the year before the attendance at the North Final was 17!

Could have borrowed a couple of Puckane Utd ;) !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement