Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Yeah, I saw him last year and he was poor. He's lost interest, a pity. He had great potential. He might find himself again, maybe. He has great potential as a man with an eye for goal. But, it happens to minors, they can drift away from the game...

Yeah, I saw him last year and he was poor. He's lost interest, a pity. He had great potential. He might find himself again, maybe. He has great potential as a man with an eye for goal. But, it happens to minors, they can drift away from the game...

Same thing seems to have happened to another very talented dual player Dylan Fitzelle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same thing seems to have happened to another very talented dual player Dylan Fitzelle

On the road to recovery though. These lads achieved a serious amount at such a young age. Couldn't have been easy. Think he was training with the under 21's for a while.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Well here's my guess.....

I think Brian Hogan could push Paul Maher for goals but would assume Maher will start. I think Tom Fox might be tried out in the full back line as we’ve a lot of cover in half back/midfield but not as much in the full back line. They could also choose to put Breen back here but he’s a colossus at half back or midfield. Tossy Hamill has started the last two years but it’s hard to know if he’ll make this team.

Something like:
    Paul Maher – Moyne
    Ger Fennelly - Ballingarry
    Tom Fox - Annacarty
    Jack Peters – Kilruane
    Mikey Breen - Ballina
    Ronan Maher - Sars
    Barry Heffernan - Nenagh
    Bill Maher - Kilsheelan
    Billy McCarthy - Sars
    John McGrath - Loughmore
    Colin O’Riordan – Brackens
    Stephen O’Brien - Ballina
    Stephen Cahill – Sars (drift out as 3rd midfielder)
    Josh Keane - Golden
    Sean Maher – Clonoulty

A lot of interchangeable players there in the half backs, midfield and half forwards and I’m still leaving off Tossy Hamill (Moyne), Jack Shelly (Mullinahone), Tadhg Gallagher, David Sweeney, Willie Connors (all Kildangan), Jason Ryan , Mark McCarthy (both Toome), Sean Ryan Rogers (Treacy’s), Tom Kirwan (Ballybacon) and surely more that I’m not thinking of.
    That's a good team and a strong panel,I'd be expecting them to do very well this year.

I seen the u21s play Kilkenny in Gortnahoe some weeks back. A certain BC was a spectator in the crowd

We lost by 7 points but we were missing quite a few. Sam Conlan lined out that night and there was full forward who looked decent. Cant remember his name or club, i think it was Holycross.

Speak of u21, an eye raising scores tonight in Leinster where Carlow came within 2 points of Kilkenny at DCP. Wexford beat Offaly and scored an absolute peach of a team goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Great to hear Carlow getting closer...

Be great if Stephen O'Brien, Josh Keane, Bill McCarthy, and Fox could show real development this year. Type of players needed to shove on into senior... - it's rare a lot of players make the leap...but hopefully. Lots of talented players in the team making the senior leap but I think the type of O'Brien, Keane, Fox and McCarthy are, makes it important at least two of them come through to the senior ranks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Young Peters from Kilruane faces the possibility of 2 games in 24 hours if he plays against Toome on Friday. Whatever happened to looking after young players?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Young Peters from Kilruane faces the possibility of 2 games in 24 hours if he plays against Toome on Friday. Whatever happened to looking after young players?
    What would you do to change things?
    How would you change things so players don't have to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

tippspur wrote: »
    A free was awarded alright,a free out for Limerick.Gavin is some ref:(

It wasn't given as a free out to be fair to Gavin, an indirect free was given to restart the play as he only stoped it for a head injury and Limerick were in possession when he stoped play - having watched the replay there is definitely a dangerous use of the elbow from the Limerick keeper and was lucky but to be fair to Gavin in real time it just looked like an unfortunate collision.

• Advertisement

I don't think it is completely OTT... - I don't Brian Hogan was beyond criticism.

Yeah, Padraig Walsh got slaughtered...all those scores...his marker got...all that damage... http://31.media.tumblr.com/5d24fdfda513e7a3b6c5047511a5c818/tumblr_mz1mlbaNDw1qcm0m3o1_500.gif
    Padraig Walsh is 23 - I think he demonstrated fantastic ability last year. I would say he has the potential to be a phenomenal player - minus Tommy's indiscipline. Buckley is younger again and a fantastic talent.

Joyce has a number of ALl-Irelands - I don't see the weakness you see. He was fantastic in the reply last year - when it matters he delivers. They all do.

I don't see the issue with pace - with Hogan, or indiscipline with Tommy that was evident with those players. Who were amazing players - as good as it gets. But, I see the current line with the same potential... Being dismissive of Walsh and Joyce is something I can't see the reason to...

- if anyone wants to beat KK they must be able to break their midfield and half back-line. People go on about the full back position and Henry and JJ going... a mere side issue. Their gig was up...

Mick Fennelly, Fogarty, Buckley, Walsh, and Joyce run that show with running, precision passing, tenacious tackling, and never say die attitude - anyone who beats KK will have to break and run through those lines to get at the aging Tyrell and Holden. If you can stop Mick Fennelly running from midfield through the half-back line you would go along way to shoring up KK's most dangerous attacks... Hogan and reid continually receive balls from Fennelly from his runs as they tuck back into the pocket

Brian Hogan wasn't a flashy centre back but he was alot more affectrive than most, he was essientally the first sweeper in hurling and did a fantastic job protecting the FB line, Noel Hickey would not have been the player he was without Hogan in front of him, COM played a similar role for Tipp and like Hogan wasn't full appreciated until his star waned.

With regard to Tommy Walsh you hae more than once cited indiscipline as something to mark against him, can you tell me how many times the 9 time all star and 9 times All Ireland medal winner was sent off? His aggression was one of his biggest assets.

JJ Delaney is quite possibly the greatest defender of the last 30 years I dont think I even need to go into what made him that, the fact you didnt even mention him says it all.

You mentioned plenty of AI medals well the old trio have 24 Senior All Ireland medals and 17 All stars between them, the present incumbents, who have started a grand total of 2 matches together have a lot of ground to cover to get to that level. None of thaos ethree would have gotten within an asses roar of that old trio in their prime, Buckley is the only one that would have come anyway close and would still have had to settle for a cameo role.

As for your childish link re Padraig Walsh, it might have escaped your attention but Ian Byrne score 11 pts last sunday, 2 from play off Walsh and two other frees that came directly from fouls by Walsh on Byrne, Byrne is hardly a top level forward either. All these scores actually came when the game was somewhat competitive as well. Walter Walsh and Padraic Walsh were the two KK players that were actually beaten in their individual duals.

What's the % of games do you need to attend to be eligible for AI Final, if Tipp make it, with the Season Ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    What's the % of games do you need to attend to be eligible for AI Final, if Tipp make it, with the Season Ticket?

There's confidence for ya;)

They'll be pinning that up on the wall of the Waterford dressing room!

digzy wrote: »
    There's confidence for ya;)

They'll be pinning that up on the wall of the Waterford dressing room!

No no shur we havent a hope against Waterford, did you not hear they have ''The system'' :eek:

Rasputiin its 60% of games.

danganabu wrote: »
    No no shur we havent a hope against Waterford, did you not hear they have ''The system'' :eek:

Rasputiin its 60% of games.

I was presuming we'd be reaching the final via the back door!!!

60% not so bad, had a fella tell me it was 85% a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Id imagine his reasons are very similar to another South man Sean Carey who was a very talented footballer but opted for the hurlers. Carey very good at under 21 and for the intermediates tbf but never made the breakthrough. Had a nightmare against Wexford in the league in 2011 where nothing went over the bar for him despite his efforts.

Nice lad is Sean. He tore Galway to pieces in the 2010 U21 final. Was a joy to watch that entire team. I haven't seen or heard of him in years.

15 Lyndon Fairbrother (JK Brackens)

That's...different from your Mahers, McGraths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Tipp 1-15 Clare 1-11 full time result in the minor match.

shamrocks-gaa-cork-pay-respect-to-jimmy-doyle-25-06-15-630x231.jpg

Lovely touch by Shamrocks Gaa club in Cork as Jimmy passes through on his final journey

GerB40 wrote: »
    Tipp 1-15 Clare 1-11 full time result in the minor match.

Great result and decent performance. In one way I have alot of sympathy for Clare who this year have fallen victim to this shambolic format. They are knocked out having played one game but other countries can lose 2 games and still win the all Ireland

Tipp showed some nice touches throughout. Wind was a big factor but we deserved to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great to be in the minor final now as well as the Senior.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Great to be in the minor final now as well as the senior

A nice local double header for the Tipp faithful. Roll on July 12th!

Our win came at a bit of a cost tonight as our very talented centre forward Stephen Quirke looked to have landed awkwardly and picked up a nasty looking knee injury. A double blow considering he now possibly stands to miss the munster hurling and football minor finals

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

shamrocks-gaa-cork-pay-respect-to-jimmy-doyle-25-06-15-630x231.jpg

Lovely touch by Shamrocks Gaa club in Cork as Jimmy passes through on his final journey

Full credit to them!

Our win came at a bit of a cost tonight as our very talented centre forward Stephen Quirke looked to have landed awkwardly and picked up a nasty looking knee injury. A double blow considering he now possibly stands to miss the munster hurling and football minor finals

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hope it's not too serious, he was a big loss when he went off. It looked like management panicked and threw on the nearest available player when he was injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Tickets on sale now for the Munster final, stand is €35.

Tickets on sale now for the Munster final, stand is €35.

Where are they for sale?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Triboro wrote: »
    Where are they for sale?

On tickets.ie or in centra/supervalue

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Tipperary allocated killinan end

On tickets.ie or in centra/supervalue

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan