Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

GvidoR wrote: »
    A trip just for a kebab? :D

Damn, now I want a kebab. They make really nice ones in Westport.

Pollard is the business for kebabs, I'm in there every chance I get :D

I once drove to Shannonbridge for a chicken burger, Newry for a tin of cat food, Delvin for a mars bar, Virginia for a bottle of club. Best one was Cork for a chicken burger :D sure last week I went to Portadown for a small light switch :p plenty more I can't remember!

Hopefully the 406 will pass its test on Thursday then its off to Tralee for a dustcap :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

dgt wrote: »
    Then its off to Tralee for a dustcap :cool:

Don't forget the lovely girls competition is on soon ;).

The more scenery the better :D

Speaking of kebabs, I've a few kebeab skewers on the BBQ and a few beers in the freezer as we speak. Making the most of the fineish weather here in Kerry while we have it. The drive down from Limerick yesterday was fun. Finally got to give the car a good rip over the mountains after getting the steering work done. Handles better than ever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

We are lucky with the weather alright compared to England who got blitzed by thunderstorms last night.

I wouldn't be out driving in that.

Hal1 wrote: »
    We are lucky with the weather alright compared to England who got blitzed by thunderstorms last night.

I wouldn't be out driving in that.

Really? The last I heard they were been cooked alive over there. Their weather is a mad as ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Wow, turns out there is a "Bus enthusiasts" sub-forum on boards.

I can't even...

I can't even...

I know one or two (non boardsies). They'd be into trucks and all things HGV too. My cousin is slowly becoming one. He recently got a drivers job with bus eireann after spending years driving a taxi. Two years ago this man wouldn't know what a set of brake pads looked like. Now he can tell you every single detail of his bus. Not a bad interest to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I can't even...

No different to a car enthusiasts forum, i.e - here.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, to each their own, but that was under the Commuting forum so it just seemed like sub-forum for public transport enthusiasts. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tractors is another one. Big business in ploughing/silage DVDs. They are strangely hypnotic from what I've seen. Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Totted up what I've spend on the 525 since I got it 9 months ago, including everything, cleaning equipment, tyres, repairs, fuel, tax, insurance, purchase price etc - €9,000 or so :pac:

Wow, that's quite a lot, I hope it treats you well.

Totted up what I've spend on the 525 since I got it 9 months ago, including everything, cleaning equipment, tyres, repairs, fuel, tax, insurance, purchase price etc - €9,000 or so :pac:

Does it feel worth it to you?

How ye keep track or how ye have the paitence to keep track of fuel costs is beyond me. I did it for a few weeks once and gave up. Painful

• Advertisement

Does it feel worth it to you?

There not a doubt in my mind that I picked the right car :)
    How ye keep track or how ye have the paitence to keep track of fuel costs is beyond me. I did it for a few weeks once and gave up. Painful

I took an average of 70 a week for 40 weeks, sometime it was around 100 or so though.

Punto so far:

Purchase price: €250
    Bumper: €15
    Hub caps: €5
    Insurance: €25 (just a transfer fee)
    Road tax: €101
    Petrol: About €120

Total: About €516 :D

There not a doubt in my mind that I picked the right car :)

I took an average of 70 a week for 40 weeks, sometime it was around 100 or so though.

That's all that matters. The old saying smiles for miles comes into my head when you say that and a 6 cylinder e39 is one of the best choices for that in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Corolla....€250

I lost track after that but 12k miles and 10 months late I can safely say I've had more than my moneys worth from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:

I wouldn't class myself as a bus enthusiast, but I'd have an interest in them myself. Not Dublin bus or any of that, but private operators.

Washed 2 of the uncles today, seeing as he is on holidays. A lwb transit and a Merc Vario 609d. Whatever about the transit, the merc sure as to god tests your speed at washing, half a side at a time (ladder needed for above the windows) Then I had to wash all the interior windows with windowlene, in the process removing all the profanities, penii etc which were drawn onto the windows (with fingers not markers!). Vacuum all the seats, and curtains, plug in all the belts sweep the floor, mop the floor, wipe the dash. And all that again for the transit, which is sooo much harder, seats here there everywhere, and that stupid pattern on the floor makes it impossible to make it look clean!!

• Advertisement

Washed 2 of the uncles today

Jaysus you're a great nephew :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Jaysus you're a great nephew

Ya they were in need of a wash. I says here jump into the barrel and I power washed them down :pac:

Holy moly!!!!

My 406, got about 3 weeks ago:

Car €295
    Batch 1 (pads, discs, track rods, drop links, ball joints, rear arb bushes) £110
    Batch 2 (rear drop links, control arms) €60
    Rear wishbone bushes €40
    Speakers £1
    Service (fuel/oil) €30
    Misc goodies £230
    A tuner bolt €2
    Fuel... €120 (far far less miles these days)

Some other service parts were kindly supplied by killianmanning :D

Now awaiting its NCT, so €55 down the toilet

Has other various bits added to it like the deflectors/radio surround/digital clock from the other 406 (How did no one notice that)

I'm too lazy to add that all up :(

Which reminds me, I have a feckin puncture to sort on that car! :mad:

€295, not bad, did it have NCT?

And only 1 pound for speakers? :eek:

€295, not bad, did it have NCT?

And only 1 pound for speakers? :eek:

The other 406 was €295 aswell with 2 months NCT :D

No NCT on the replacement but its in on Thursday. Currently sitting about gathering dust :( a very well minded car with a rake of new parts installed and minded over the years, same family owned since about 2000. Only blighted by lack of towbar, no rev counter and the worst aftermarket sunroof install evar. I'd love to find out who installed it and break it over their head :mad:

Yeah the speakers were Pioneer 200w buckos that looked expensive but when I check online prices they are worthless. So I gave a quid for them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

YbFocus wrote: »
    You'd look like an idiot with one of those stickers on a car lowered 40mm.
    Actually you'd look an idiot with one of them regardless.

i picked up a recession busting piss golden shower saxo vtr with one of those stickers.:o peeled it off asap along with the 'made in france,modded in the uk'
    and tons of sony stickers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mainly for Colm, but anyone else can pipe in - I need a windback tool for the Civic, think this works:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-1314-Caliper-Piston-Re-wind/dp/B002V72SHS

But there's Draper cube things and the like for a tenner around. Any ideas as to whether they work?

Got one that might work....if I could get the bloody brake caliper bolts off. They turn (with effort) but not with any progress.

These two here (not my pics but same caliper):

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/brandenburger/P29-05-09_1029.jpg

Any ideas? I only have WD40 to loosen them up but like I say, they turn, just without getting anywhere. I'd say they could be sheared, but I've tried 4 bolts now. Do I need a clamp or something?

http://i.imgur.com/QlKjpSc.png

The bolts are circled, but the square bits turn as well.

EDIT: It's the rear pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Got one that might work....if I could get the bloody brake caliper bolts off. They turn (with effort) but not with any progress.

Any ideas? I only have WD40 to loosen them up but like I say, they turn, just without getting anywhere. I'd say they could be sheared, but I've tried 4 bolts now. Do I need a clamp or something?

Stupid question but did you use 2 spanners? If you only use 1 spanner for the caliper bolt then of course it will just spin.

Pov06 wrote: »
    Stupid question but did you use 2 spanners? If you only use 1 spanner for the caliper bolt then of course it will just spin.

Only had one 13mm wrench, but I had a pair of pliers on the other bit. Going to try find another wrench to do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Only had one 13mm wrench, but I had a pair of pliers on the other bit. Going to try find another wrench to do it properly.

What you need is a cheap adjustable wrench. They are a life savior at times :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote: »
    What you need is a cheap adjustable wrench. They are a life savior at times :rolleyes:

I hear ya.....plenty of tools back home but I'm fairly limited up here. Even getting a flat bit of ground is an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pliers will only round off the nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm not going to even bother counting what I've spent on the accord..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    City East Plaza, northern Trust is there. It's near Halfords.

Sorry, final question. Is it on all day at City East Plaza or just for a while? I've seen the pictures on here before but I've never actually been to one of these before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Nope I think it's officially from 11 to 2 but I normally try to be there from about 12 (perhaps people do turn up at 11) and it goes on to about 1.30 or so depending on what turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

nd wrote: »
    Nope I think it's officially from 11 to 2 but I normally try to be there from about 12 (perhaps people do turn up at 11) and it goes on to about 1.30 or so depending on what turns up.

That's great, thanks very much for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A spanner and a socket set is all you need.
    354168.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

davycc wrote: »
    i picked up a recession busting piss golden shower saxo vtr with one of those stickers.:o peeled it off asap along with the 'made in france,modded in the uk'
    and tons of sony stickers :pac:

The only one I'd have is snap off because it's French. That always makes me lol

A spanner and a socket set is all you need

Yep, I'm going to get the necessaries now. Although I won't be doing anything in this rain.

• Advertisement

You might need to grind down the pads a bit to make them fit. Not all pads will just slot in.

Got a 3 tonne hydraulic jack. The difference between that and those Aldi 2 tonne jacks (and the ones that comes with the car ofcourse) is huge. Should've gotten one earlier.

Don't forget that you still need to use axle stands if you're going under the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Anyone see this, its great. :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't forget that you still need to use axle stands if you're going under the car.

That's pretty obvious, imo. Already have a pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So I'm investigating my new problem and I wonder if anyone else can shed some opinions on this.
    Car is sluggish up to about 2500 revs and then the power slowly starts to kick in. Just came back from a diagnostics and it came with just one error which was a fuel heater issue.
    I'm starting to ponder if I'm suffering both a maf and egr issue at the same time.
    Thoughts?
    Its like the car doesn't want to rev

• Advertisement

That's pretty obvious, imo. Already have a pair of them.

You'd be shocked at how many people don't use them.

Probably already sold (not that I'm actually looking to buy it as such), but mooching through donedeal brought these up...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagan-passat/9636960?offset=26

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-estate/9598295?offset=7

and even from a dealer;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-1-9-litre-diesel/9176091?offset=1

I always thought Passat's commanded a bit more of a premium in regards to their purchase price? Or is there just something about those models I've linked to that make them less sought after in general? (I'm not a big VW fan, so they could always have been that cheap and cheerful, but I just always thought an 06 Passat would go for 7-8k for some reason).

Perhaps it's because they're estates I'm looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

bear1 wrote: »
    So I'm investigating my new problem and I wonder if anyone else can shed some opinions on this.
    Car is sluggish up to about 2500 revs and then the power slowly starts to kick in. Just came back from a diagnostics and it came with just one error which was a fuel heater issue.
    I'm starting to ponder if I'm suffering both a maf and egr issue at the same time.
    Thoughts?
    Its like the car doesn't want to rev

I'd start with looking at the vacuum lines, check for splits, cracks, tears and so on, then clean the maf and egr, and if it carries on like that i'd be saying bye bye if i were you dude, you've had nothing but trouble with that car :(

810000 miles?

I always thought Passat's commanded a bit more of a premium in regards to their purchase price? Or is there just something about those models I've linked to that make them less sought after in general? (I'm not a big VW fan, so they could always have been that cheap and cheerful, but I just always thought an 06 Passat would go for 7-8k for some reason).

Perhaps it's because they're estates I'm looking at?

They might be Volkswagens and Passat's but they're still for the most part pretty basic spec 9 year old wagons with entry level engines.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement