Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telltale Working on Game of Thrones Game?

Options
  • 22-11-2013 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Well, according to IGN they are. When approached, Telltale officially had no comment.

And yeah, it's IGN.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cool, they've obviously shown they are capable of making well made stories. Plus, there's plenty of source material for a new game. Maybe something set before Roberts Rebellion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ahhh nice. I like Telltale. Back to the Future wasn't the best (and it's one of my fave films ever) ...but TWD was amazing, and I'm enjoying the The Wolf Among Us.

I really like the idea of Game of Thrones and the TV series are brilliant.
    I did read the books, and I don't recommend them to anyone...TV show is better.
    Hopefully they can drive a good narrative .......but I don't know how they'll go about it as the idea behind Game of Thrones is that you have 7+ characters' storylines going on at the same. So having to focus on 1 might be strange...that's if they do it that way

THIS...is pretty accurate about the books

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I did read the books, and I don't recommend them to anyone...TV show is better.

rubbish, the books have far more in them and are way better than the TV show.

A big open Skyrim type world would be pretty epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's not really what telltale do best though, is it? I highly doubt that's what we will get. We'll get the Walking Thrones and it will no doubt be great. Aria will be Clem, Ned will be Lee and Littlefinger can be Kenny.....coz everyone hates Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Interesting as to how they'll go about this.

I'd imagine they'll follow an existing character(s) who either plays a small part in ASOIAF or the TV series (or who is only mentioned in passing), or they'll create a new character whose path doesn't cross in any significant way with any of the major players.

Hopefully, they will avoid the current/recent years and either go back to Robert's Rebellion or the immediate aftermath though they would have to stay well away from anything related to Rhaegar, Lyanna and everything else which could give away book/TV spoilers. I would strongly expect them to stay away from that, whatever period or place they decide to visit.

Somewhat concerned about the art style. Telltale tend to go for a cartoony look which works fine for something with a comedic vibe such a BTTF and excels in a comic book recreation like TWD but probably won't work in such a mature, serious (in a different way to TWD) and developed world.

There was something else I wanted to say but I've forgotten...

@Cookie Monster It won't be anything like Skyrim. If you've ever played The Walking Dead or Monkey Island it will likely follow the same point and click style as those.

@SeanTheMan Would you generally read books? The only people I've seen complain about the detail of ASOIAF are those who wouldn't otherwise read, were first introduced through the TV show and wanted more of the background, to get further along in the story (through excitement or to avoid spoilers) and were overwhelmed/bored by the amount of depth (or unnecessary sh!te, depending on who you ask :p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    @Cookie Monster It won't be anything like Skyrim. If you've ever played The Walking Dead or Monkey Island it will likely follow the same point and click style as those.

Game of Thrones Monkey Island? No thanks for me anyway.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    @SeanTheMan Would you generally read books? The only people I've seen complain about the detail of ASOIAF are those who wouldn't otherwise read, were first introduced through the TV show and wanted more of the background, to get further along in the story (through excitement or to avoid spoilers) and were overwhelmed/bored by the amount of depth (or unnecessary sh!te, depending on who you ask :p).

I do yeah, and when I do it's more often that not a 'series' of books that keep continuity etc and have enough characters.
    I've read the Emperor series, Troy Series, Dark Tower series amongst others.

I honestly found Game of Thrones a slog. The audiobooks were better and easier going. When the next book is released I'll read that too. But I didn't really enjoy most of the last books.
    Was it Feast for Crows.....whole book was Cersei, Brienne and Sam. 3 characters I have no interest in whatsoever.
    That's my real issue with the books I guess, it's how it's structured. You have to slog through the storylines of characters you hate waiting for the ones you like to pop up.
    A bit like 24, having to watch his stupid family get kidnapped and follow their crappy 'filler' plots, along with that of the presidents....when you really just wanna see Jack Bauer killing people and being a badass. I watched 8 seasons of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A big open Skyrim type world would be pretty epic.

They made a open world game last year, meant to of been a bit shit.
    Game of Thrones Monkey Island? No thanks for me anyway.

Play the walking dead & it ain`t hard to imagine what they`ll do with game of thrones tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Walking Dead was fantastic but are they going to keep making games that are essentially just interactive cartoons?

Would be nice to see a bit more actual game play in the Telltale games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

crybaby wrote: »
    Walking Dead was fantastic but are they going to keep making games that are essentially just interactive cartoons?

Have to agree. While TWD was a really well written story and a breath of fresh air from the usual Zombie genre. The choices were just glorified cosmetic changes. You could side with Kenny every step of the way from episode 1-3 then disagree once with him on episode 4 and he acts like the two of ye are mortal enemies.

The only choices that ever seemed to matter were your most recent. Also things like getting kicked out of Herschels farm early if you didnt save his son really made no difference barring a teeny scene.
    By all means games should keep a spine and allow the player to change certain things around this. It just felt the spine of the game was too big and that in the end none of your changes really mattered. The same people would die/leave in the same circumstances no matter what choices you made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it's anything like Telltale's heavily scripted 'The Walking Dead', I can imagine a lot of 'Game of Thrones' fans being very disappointed.

The simple fact is, is that nothing that you do in 'The Walking Dead' matters. There are no real choices. It's just a glorified "click next" button. Nothing that the player actually does means anything. There isn't actually a "game" involved.

While clicking next and progressing through the story was entertaining, somewhat, for a while in 'The Walking Dead', I think that 'Game of Thrones' should have far more consequences for the player's actions and choices, because, at it's heart, 'Game of Thrones' is about power, how a given character uses/abuses that power and the consequences therein.

if Telltale stick to their formula, then a 'Game of Thrones' "game" will be just as redundant as 'The Walking Dead' was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't doubt TellTales ability to tell a fantastic story, and that worked extremely well for The Walking Dead, but as stated above a Game of Thrones game would require real consequences to be expected and put into motion. I'd imagine the scope for potential arcs would be massive, and possibly too much for one game.

I would love to see an RPG-esqe type game, where you pick a family and start into the world at a separate time to the books/series, and make your own life in it, attempting to get onto the Iron Throne and either elevate your familys status, or keep it (if you picked Lannister). It would involve making allies, naval/military decisions which culminate in real-time strategic battles, recruitment through admiration or fear, making shady secret deals, hiring assassins, diplomatic deals, etc.

I'm not looking for much...

Then again, if they do make a game in TWD style, i would still buy it for the story alone. As i said, TT can do a good story. And while your decisions may not have mattered in the end, TT still managed to make you feel like they did. Even if they did kill off the one character i really wanted to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't doubt TellTales ability to tell a fantastic story, and that worked extremely well for The Walking Dead, but as stated above a Game of Thrones game would require real consequences to be expected and put into motion. I'd imagine the scope for potential arcs would be massive, and possibly too much for one game.

I would love to see an RPG-esqe type game, where you pick a family and start into the world at a separate time to the books/series, and make your own life in it, attempting to get onto the Iron Throne and either elevate your familys status, or keep it (if you picked Lannister). It would involve making allies, naval/military decisions which culminate in real-time strategic battles, recruitment through admiration or fear, making shady secret deals, hiring assassins, diplomatic deals, etc.

I'm not looking for much...

Then again, if they do make a game in TWD style, i would still buy it for the story alone. As i said, TT can do a good story. And while your decisions may not have mattered in the end, TT still managed to make you feel like they did. Even if they did kill off the one character i really wanted to keep.

Crusader Kings 2 Game of Thrones mod is almost what you're looking for above bar getting to play the real time battles.

While the end result of the Walking Dead was (almost) the same for everyone, the 'journey' (ugh!) that people took was different. It did a very good job of giving the illusion of choice, and i don't get why there's so much criticism of that. Telltale will take that though, and i'd be fairly confident that Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us will offer greater choice, with more serious consequences to your actions.

No reason why they wouldn't do the same for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It only works (and flimsily at that) if the player doesn't lift the lid and look under the bonnet.

'The Walking Dead' and other Telltale games are fine for a single playthrough. The cracks start to appear and the illusion becomes all to obvious when the player starts again.

For instance, if you save a particular character over another character at one point, both will still die (or walk away) at exactly the same point later in the game, thus rendering the action utterly pointless.

The player might as well just walk away.

I believe there's actually a button that allows the player to simply advance the scene, without action. You might as well just press that every time, for all the good your efforts at choice result in.

I liked 'The Walking Dead' for what it was. The voice acting was great and the characters were good, Clem in particular. But once I realised that anything I was doing was useless and served no point, other than advancing the script, I lost interest. Which is a shame, because with a little tweaking, these games could be much, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I enjoyed the walking dead game. It was what it was. Its a short story driven piece with more character development than almost any other game. Im playing Far Cry 3 again and I could not even remotely care about any character.

This can work for GOT too as developing a full game would take years and there is already a game out there if you want that kind of thing. I hear its ok but not great so look there if thats what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

calex71 wrote: »

Woohoo, that is going to be sweet. The humour of borderlands will lend itself perfectly to this type of game too.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Woohoo, that is going to be sweet. The humour of borderlands will lend itself perfectly to this type of game too.

Trailer on this page http://www.computerandvideogames.com/441725/telltale-games-reveals-tales-from-the-borderlands/

Looks like a prequel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

crybaby wrote: »

I personally found the worst parts of TWD to be the traditional gameplay parts. I think they need to improve those elements if they are going to make them a bigger part of the core experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Has there ever been a good game made based on a TV series?

TWD is based on comic books and as we all know there have been loads of awesome games based on comic books.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Has there ever been a good game made based on a TV series?

TWD is based on comic books and as we all know there have been loads of awesome games based on comic books.

Game of Thrones is based on books too.

I think Southpark: The Stick of Truth has a good shot at being a great game based on a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dear Telltale, best of luck in 2014. If you pull this off, you will be Studio of The Year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Walking Dead Season 2, Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones and Borderlands; I should hope given that volume of work Telltale have expanded their studios, otherwise I'd worry they have bitten off more than they can chew & the subsequent games will suffer from a dip in quality.

The GoT one could be interesting and the first sensible use of the IP yet, but in some ways I'm most curious about the Borderlands game. It doesn't feel like a mythology that instantly lends itself to a spin-off in another genre, and given how distinct & over-the-top a tone the franchise has - in no small part thanks to the writing of Anthony Burch at Destructoid - it could be a harder one to pull off.

Sitting thinking about this today , does it come across as a cash grab by telltale? I mean 4 games now essentially using the same one good idea?

Time will tell i guess, but to me at least the wolf among us worked , was better than the walking dead based on only one episode so maybe the formula will improve as they go along, which could mean great things for season 2 of walking dead this week and the games to come!!!!

I'm not sure they should have taken on an extra two projects, and certainly not one as big as Game of Thrones. They are already really slow at releasing content, and this will only get slower. Plus, with having to bring in a lot of extra staff (as i'd assume is required), there's always the chance it will drop in quality.

I'm still very optimistic, but wary.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm not sure they should have taken on an extra two projects, and certainly not one as big as Game of Thrones. They are already really slow at releasing content, and this will only get slower. Plus, with having to bring in a lot of extra staff (as i'd assume is required), there's always the chance it will drop in quality.

I'm still very optimistic, but wary.

Game of thones is perfect for it though isn't it? I mean all the back stabbing etc and taking sides, can't see it being based on the books either though I'd say it will be "based on the world" just hope they don't involve Martin or we'll be waiting a while for those to come out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Game of thones is perfect for it though isn't it? I mean all the back stabbing etc and taking sides, can't see it being based on the books either though I'd say it will be "based on the world" just hope they don't involve Martin or we'll be waiting a while for those to come out :rolleyes:

Considering how long it's taking them to release the second episode of The Wolf Among Us, I'm not looking forward to them adding two more games. These episode games only work if it's a short gap between them, not the likely 3 months for The Wolf Among Us

Sitting thinking about this today , does it come across as a cash grab by telltale? I mean 4 games now essentially using the same one good idea?

If there's a market for it then why not ?
    It may seem like cashing in....and TWD can run indefinitely...if you read the comics there is so much more material and possibilites they can use.

As long as the quality doesn't drop due to the workload...then I'm all for it.

I for one will be buying them all :) ...still waiting on TWD2 and the next episode of TWAU though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

First teaser from Telltale, might wanna remove the question mark from the thread title. I'm guessing you will play as someone from the Forrester clan.

BwKnkq7CIAAg1gV.jpg:large

Advertisement