Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There's an update in GZ from the other day that let's you upload to the server. Then on TPP, on the main screen with continue and options, there should be a download from gz option.

If i get spotted and can't get them with reflex, i restart the checkpoint. Mission seems to not like checkpoints so it's getting a bit frustrating especially when I'm hell bent on getting 2 specific guys out with C rating skills. 1st mission where i cracked out the ol cardboard box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    There's an update in GZ from the other day that let's you upload to the server. Then on TPP, on the main screen with continue and options, there should be a download from gz option.
    Yeah I've done all that but the servers have been down all day, won't let me do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

7 missions in and I'm enjoying it.

It feels like a modernisation of snake eater to me, which is great cause Snake Eater was my favourite. Though I will admit that modernisation seems to be make it feel like some hybrid crossbreed of the Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4.

Wont complain both fine games, and a lot of the witcher 3 feelings are from the horse and excessive looting. I imagine once DD grows up I'll be sending the horse to the glue farm. The Snake eater feeling I guess comes from the very clearly defined time/era the large russian presence and the otherworldly feel of the main antagonists...also me spending most of the game getting the crap kicked out of me makes me think snake eater. Perhaps MGS is like reverse star trek films rule. It's all the Odd numbered games that are the best (1,3,5)

Mother Base is a bit bland, I keep getting reminded to play with the dog, half of the time I cant find it, the other times I cant do anything other then let it bark at me or play hide in seek using a box...I did accidently punsh it once. But you seem to be able to punch everyone in mother base and they like it.

Also I'm nervous of the research system at the moment it seems more effective just to pour all my troops into the 1-2 fields required for a certain unlock, buy it and then put them elsewhere. Seems its much more numbers then actual skill levels.

I was trying to refrain from kidnapping everyone by enforcing a C or above standard to anyone I take (unless they got special abilities or I'm told in interrogation that they are Elite)

I am also seeing hints of persistence I think. A base I was forced to almost empty of its men in one mission was borderline empty when I went back for another mission there.

Also if you dont call a chopper at the end of a mission and just ride out it lets you go GTA on the map and opens up to do side missions. As these dont seem to count as missions it allowed me to go a bit hogwild going for full assaults over the top c4 truck runs etc over my usual all stealth no kills attempts.

If I had one big issue with the new progression system and I honestly it's something I've been preparing myself for because you saw it on the wall with Ground Zeroes. Its that there is not the usual sense of progression you get in an MGS game, instead there is a lot of circular motion in the same area, perhaps this will fade away in the latter parts of the game, but I suspect by how with every story step 2-3 new missions get added to my list for the area I am in I dont expect it to.

Pet peeve is why cant I carry more then one silence for my pistol, biggest thing screwing me over is the tranq gun losing its silencer somewhere awkward where calling in supplies is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Game feels great so far, I have one or two gripes though. The camera can be a bit of a ****er at times :o

And is it just me, or does it feel so odd not having a minimap? You can access it via the iDroid yoke, it's jsut a shame you can't choose to overlay it on screen while playing. Would help loads, I find myself opening the map with start so many times, really breaks up the game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ramza wrote: »
    Game feels great so far, I have one or two gripes though. The camera can be a bit of a ****er at times :o

And is it just me, or does it feel so odd not having a minimap? You can access it via the iDroid yoke, it's jsut a shame you can't choose to overlay it on screen while playing. Would help loads, I find myself opening the map with start so many times, really breaks up the game :(

I think thats why the game lets you drop down a stupid amount of unique position markers (i've gone up to H at one point). I tend to mark out my route with them.

Nice that they also disappear automatically when you reach each point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Anyone else failing miserably at this game? Maybe I'm just too tired while playing, but I'm doing terribly. I've literally been trying to get past the one part where
    Miller is held in this little outpost place. I'm heading to the building with the yellow marker but he's not there and two guards inside keep catching me, there seems no way around it :(

It's the beginning of the game and I keep getting caught, so frustrating :mad: Maybe I'm just terrible :o I'll give it another crack tomorrow when the head is bit more clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Im pretty sure you can overlay the map, I can't check it for you right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I think what will frustrate me the most is aiming for the perfect score. From what i have read, if plan a does not work, you need to revert to a plan b, c or d to succeed.

I hated dishonored until i stopped caring about getting the perfect score and just accepted that i made a mess of something and needed to change my plan.

I think i will have to do the same here. I have only finished the prologue but i am excited to get into the game proper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Anyone else failing miserably at this game? Maybe I'm just too tired while playing, but I'm doing terribly. I've literally been trying to get past the one part where
    Miller is held in this little outpost place. I'm heading to the building with the yellow marker but he's not there and two guards inside keep catching me, there seems no way around it :(

It's the beginning of the game and I keep getting caught, so frustrating :mad: Maybe I'm just terrible :o I'll give it another crack tomorrow when the head is bit more clear

Are you talking about the first mission? My experience with Ground Zeroes taught me not to worry too much and not to restart if I get caught. I just leg it, regroup and take out the binoculars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Try going around and entering from the back of the building, so you enter on the first floor (Miller's in the room just off the one with the big table in it). Mark as many enemies as you can before approaching the building, even making sure to try and mark enemies inside the building through the windows. Maybe use magazines or your arm knock to lure enemies out of the building.

• Advertisement

I can't get 'The Man Who Sold The World' out of my head. Listened to the Nirvana version of it a few times this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi. I checked the specs and reckon i'm doomed but I've often runs games before fine with less than the min specs.

Any idea how a pc i5-2500k, 8 gb of ram and gtx 460 might fare ?

Runs games like Arma 3 and A-10c warthog flight sim fine.

Would I be wasting my time downloading ? Don't need high settings or all the bells and whistles.

Don't own a console.

Not sure dude your gpu would be letting you down there I think.

I have a i5 2500K, 16Gb of Ram and a 970 and its buttery smooth at 1080p constant 60fps.

Although I just cant get rid of the screen tearing I think my monitor sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Review scores are amazing, and all the critics are raving. But a lot of the streamers like Lirik and Sodapopping said they didn't like it at all. starting it tonight, i'm staying optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its a very very good game, story is bat **** insane and only the ardent MGS fan would say it makes any sort of sense.

Doesnt take away from the fact its a superb made game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Not sure dude your gpu would be letting you down there I think.

I have a i5 2500K, 16Gb of Ram and a 970 and its buttery smooth at 1080p constant 60fps.

Although I just cant get rid of the screen tearing I think my monitor sucks :(

turn on v synch, that should fix the screen tear.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its a very very good game, story is bat **** insane and only the ardent MGS fan would say it makes any sort of sense.

Yeah I said on another forum just yesterday that, despite being a huge fan of the MGS story, this is the first MGS game I've played where I've been looking far more to the gameplay than the story, whereas usually it'd be at least 50:50 between the two. The story trailers have been absolutely amazing, but the gameplay videos that were released sold me on the game more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Argos , €65 I think.

It's down to €59.99 now.

It's down to €59.99 now.

Well that's weird, will put people off getting it day one in future if they are gonna drop the price on the 2nd day. Still glad I got it tho.

Also, the Afghan Lullaby tape is mental. Sounds like Ghosts trying to scare you. And only realised last night that Yellow tape recordings are to do with the main story so it's easy to see what has important stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Quite impressed with my self restraint last night. I decided to blast through Ground Zeroes last night and extract all available NPC's probably means feck all but I'd hate to miss out on something by not doing it.

Game proper is fully updated and ready to go this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I should have taken more than 1 day off work, I just want to go home an play it now.

People who choose only C or higher. I learnt from the early game in peace walker, just Fulton everyone you can, to pack your base. Then just let go the lesser ones to make room when a capacity. Don't worry your not gonna be stopped from fultoning people if each dept is full, the new guys will just be added to the waiting area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Have a phone interview this morning with the game waiting for me when I'm done. Ring damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Lads I'm having a problem and want to see if anyone else has it.

Only just started playing it today, just finished the prolouge.
    Everytime theirs a cutscene I hear no audio from the characters.
    None at all, the odd time it fades in then back out, I have to use subtitles to get any story, I missed the start completely now because of it because I didnt have subtitles on :/
    PC by the way, anyone know if its just the game or me ?
    don't have this problem on any other game

also it not just cut scenes now,
    when i zoom in and press intel, I can't hear ocelot speak, only subtitles :/
    didnt have this problem in ground zero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

weiland79 wrote: »
    Quite impressed with my self restraint last night. I decided to blast through Ground Zeroes last night and extract all available NPC's probably means feck all but I'd hate to miss out on something by not doing it.

Game proper is fully updated and ready to go this evening!

I'm a few missions into TPP but I'm considering doing a couple of runs of GZ, like yourself, for fear of missing something. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Gonna have to revisit GZ myself also. I think I have extracted most targets, but I never extracted the two renegades.

Vid of devs, voice actors and game journo's thanking Hideo and then a visit to a special fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

Count me in as another who thought the prologue was an unnecessarily drawn out and fairly tedious experience. It was essentially an hour long cutscene with the necessity of having to push a direction on the controller for half the time. I had been really looking forward to playing for a couple of hours after I got home from work so in the end, I only got to play the game proper for about an hour which was disappointing as I didn't really get that far in that time. Maybe if that wasn't my only window of playtime ahead of the weekend I'd have had more patience for the prologue?
    Are you talking about the first mission? My experience with Ground Zeroes taught me not to worry too much and not to restart if I get caught. I just leg it, regroup and take out the binoculars :D

I agree with this. Initially with GZ I found it incredibly frustrating as I'd usually give up and look to restart as soon as I had alerted the guards. Eventually like you, I found I could enjoy the gameplay a lot better by just accepting I couldn't play it perfectly first time through and instead started regrouping after each mistake and continuing the mission. That's what I'm intending to do in PP as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd agree with the above. First time through is not for S rank. Its for enjoying it and getting it done, cock ups and all. If you are chasing S ranks go back and replay the missions, that way you'll know (some) of the guard movement patterns and the best way in. You're going to suffer badly time wise on a first run through too as you don't know the mission area. Just enjoy it and come back later to perfect it. That's my thinking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

dreamers75 wrote: »

Honestly, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't bat sh1t insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oh, can anyone confirm on PC if there's an option in the menu to carry over your save from Ground Zeroes? I didn't see it last night and was wondering if it were automatic or now.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with the above. First time through is not for S rank. Its for enjoying it and getting it done, cock ups and all. If you are chasing S ranks go back and replay the missions, that way you'll know (some) of the guard movement patterns and the best way in. You're going to suffer badly time wise on a first run through too as you don't know the mission area. Just enjoy it and come back later to perfect it. That's my thinking anyway.

Besides which, it's only after you play the mission the first time that it tells you what the other secondary requirements are for improving your score (eg. one mission last night to extract someone, you got extra points for fultoning him through a hole in the roof as opposed to taking him outside and fultoning him there, but I only found that out in the mission list after having completed it without doing that).

So don't worry too much about scores or perfect stealth too early in the game. Learn the system first before trying to be perfect at it.

Advertisement