Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Overcast and cold in Lusk, frost and ice not showing much signs yet of melting but I'm sure it will happen soon...

Oh and Merry Christmas to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

belting down snow here for the last hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭arctictree

naughto wrote: »
    belting down snow here for the last hour

And where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Pissin rain here in wexford town.. bolloxs better piss off soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is due here for next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

arctictree wrote: »
    And where is that?

Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lovely thick snowflakes in Sligo now ...not an awful lot of them though

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What is due here for next week?

16_08_9---Snow-storm_web.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Castlebar

is it lying how much?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

light sleet atm here in longford. snow thats been lying since last sunday is beginning to thaw off

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    is it lying how much?

i don't live in Castlebar. you'll have to ask naughto.

i was only responding to arctictree's question about naughto's location

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No precip here and all frost melting, must be getting a kick of breeze off the sea unfortunately that means even with the precip abit away curtains for any chance of wintry precip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Raining here,very icy underfoot. The weathergods are having a laugh, -9 overnight and at 7 am. By 12 it is raining. I give up. :(

i don't live in Castlebar. you'll have to ask naughto.

i was only responding to arctictree's question about naughto's location
    Lol

Anyhow +0.2c here with a dp of -0.8c and dull as ditchwater which is probably whats going to fall out of the sky :D

Raining here,very icy underfoot. The weathergods are having a laugh, -9 overnight and at 7 am. By 12 it is raining. I give up. :(
    WC explained that earlier in the thread.
    It's faux cold-false cold basically-kinda like inversion.
    A few 1000ft up it's warmer as the warm air over rides the top of the cold air.

The cold surface layer isn't deep enough in some areas to turn the rain to snow quickly enough before it reaches the ground.
    The water basically hasnt enough of that ground to 100's of feet up to fall through to turn it.

In areas where it is snowing,the upper air is at or just below freezing still and the cold layer from the ground is higher..

Or something like that..

-8 or -10c is irrelevant when the air above it is warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The suspense is killing me!, the precip has to be close now!
    Currently -0.1°C with a DP -1.1°C , normally that would be fine for sneactha but with the warm 850's its going to be interesting.Come on!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    The suspense is killing me!, the precip has to be close now!
    Currently -0.1°C with a DP -1.1°C , normally that would be fine for sneactha but with the warm 850's its going to be interesting.Come on!

Patience - should be hitting you around now and me 10 minutes later. Let us know what falls from the sky!!

lol temps dropping here..
    Well by .1 of a degree

now +0.1c dp -0.9c

Normally enough for snow but

arctictree wrote: »
    Patience - should be hitting you around now and me 10 minutes later. Let us know what falls from the sky!!

I cant take it!, i'm off to see if I can spot the precip in the distance.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

- 5.3c here now and rising hopefully it'll snow looks like the majority of ireland as a whole has snow except in the far south anything that is of snow will lay here!

• Advertisement

its sticking allright but thers rain mixed in wit it so it melts again.its still -3deg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yay, a white Christmas - lovely stuff. :)

It's been snowing on and off here all morning (Here is Castlebar btw), a mix of the nice powdery stuff and the fine sleety stuff.

A nice covering on the ground, but nothing massive - I would say less of a white Christmas than 2004 and 1995(or around then?), but still I'll take it!

Much colder than the other years though.

And just as I type it's started up again!

naughto wrote: »
    its sticking allright but thers rain mixed in wit it so it melts again.its still -3deg
    Would it take long for you to climb croagh patrick to see how things are faring up there?
    Owenc asked me to ask you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Holy sh1t " ICE RINK"

people in cars here can't get up my hill,wheels spinning like mad.

She's freezing on impact.

And as soon as put my hat and gloves on...it starts snowing, should be over to you shortly Arctictree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well when this warm front hits the cold east coast of dublin i'd say it will snow for a short while. the cloud in dublin sure looks right for snow nice and bright white. will have to wait a while longer to see. the seperation of clouds are a problem though. known dublin though we will have nothing but lenticular clouds and it will start raining fish. typical.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Light snow just started 5 miles north of Cavan town.

Would it take long for you to climb croagh patrick to see how things are faring up there?
    Owenc asked me to ask you :D

iiv only gone out side the door for alike 5 mins in total since i got up the wind chill is unreal.cant see croagh patrick the clouds are covering it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The light snow here in Sligo has turned to light sleet.
    The frost on the car is beginning to thaw, only to freeze again as the droplets hit the ground

• Advertisement

Tá sé ag cur sneachta anseo whoooooooohoooooooooooooo!

Advertisement