Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The current works is only utilities diversions and enabling works contractors. The main contract for the construction of the actual tracks, platforms, overhead cabling, depot, etc. has not been awarded yet although this should happen in the next month or so.

The main contract has most certainly been awarded.

See here.

Work on the contract is due to start in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

If you want to see work in progress go look at where the Cabra station will be

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

monument wrote: »

Phibsborough Luas stop artist's impression:
    344144.JPG

:( Nothing against the area, but it's going to be dodgy in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

monument wrote: »
    Phibsborough Luas stop artist's impression:
    344144.JPG

that lift location looks like an accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The specific location a bit away from Kelly's Corner I think will make this a bit better than you're worried about, but they will need to blanket the place in CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

loyatemu wrote: »
    that lift location looks like an accident waiting to happen.

It's hard to tell from this angle but it looks like the lift will be divided by a barrier between the platform and the lift entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

MJohnston wrote: »
    The specific location a bit away from Kelly's Corner I think will make this a bit better than you're worried about, but they will need to blanket the place in CCTV.

Doyle's Corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The location isn't especially rough, medium I'd say. Broombridge would be cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Why do you think that? It's not dodgy at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin has not evolved to the point of open access transport systems like trams. The proof of this is the red line. I suspect the new line will just copperfasten this reality. The problems on this line will be just as big as the red line.

It's all so predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Dublin has not evolved to the point of open access transport systems like trams. The proof of this is the red line. I suspect the new line will just copperfasten this reality. The problems on this line will be just as big as the red line.

It's all so predictable.

The 'problems' are in my view overstated. There's nothing to stop Luas from prioritising security personnel at these stations, not to mention that the CCTV technology they employ is very good - this could be better advertised at stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is worth pointing out that neither Cabra nor Broadstone stations are actually under construction, the works currently ongoing are both enabling works contracts, a new bridge in Cabra and removing the petrol station at Broadstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's all so predictable.
    Guarantee all the trams will end up in the Liffey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mackerski wrote: »
    Doyle's Corner?

Yerp! Sorry used to work near Kelly's corner and still mix them up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cgcsb wrote: »
    The location isn't especially rough, medium I'd say. Broombridge would be cause for concern.

AFAIK there is going to be a whole storage facility built at Broombridge for trams to park and be washed at nighttime. With that will come 24/7 security guards so I reckon Broombridge might get cleaned up somewhat. Also Luas seem to police their platforms alot more than CIE do, if the ticket machines get vandalised they wont be too long in posting a couple of Polish lads there whereas CIE just seem to leave them vandalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Muahahaha wrote: »
    AFAIK there is going to be a whole storage facility built at Broombridge for trams to park and be washed at nighttime. With that will come 24/7 security guards so I reckon Broombridge might get cleaned up somewhat. Also Luas seem to police their platforms alot more than CIE do, if the ticket machines get vandalised they wont be too long in posting a couple of Polish lads there whereas CIE just seem to leave them vandalised

I dont understand why they wouldnt just put ticket machines on the trains. In Munich, you either buy a monthly ticket or 10 per-paid tickets at once or you buy ticket from the machine on the tram. Its a small basic machine with a few buttons and takes the German version of a Visa Debit. It means there isnt massive queues on the platforms for buying tickets like the Luas and people actually buy the ticket because its easier.

It would probably make more sense having ticket machines on green/bxd line rather than paying for security to stand there and stop vandalism of the machines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

hfallada wrote: »
    I dont understand why they wouldnt just put ticket machines on the trains. In Munich, you either buy a monthly ticket or 10 per-paid tickets at once or you buy ticket from the machine on the tram. Its a small basic machine with a few buttons and takes the German version of a Visa Debit. It means there isnt massive queues on the platforms for buying tickets like the Luas and people actually buy the ticket because its easier.

It would probably make more sense having ticket machines on green/bxd line rather than paying for security to stand there and stop vandalism of the machines

What Germans do and Irish do are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

hfallada wrote: »
    How would you be sure there'd be internet connectivity in the cuttings on the greenline to validate credit/debit card purchases?

How would customers buy tickets on trams when they cna barely fit onto the tram due to high peak loads?

How would you deal with coinboxes being stolen?

How would you top up leap cards on trams with no guaranteed internet connectivity?

I expect that he means have machines on the trams as well as at the usual locations, as for internet access, simply place sufficient access points along the route no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

Is there a way of quickly topping up your Luas card online? There doesnt appear to an option easily visible on the website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

padrepio wrote: »
    Is there a way of quickly topping up your Luas card online? There doesnt appear to an option easily visible on the website anyway.

Nope. I've found the easiest way of keeping it topped up is to setup a direct debit option.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

How would you be sure there'd be internet connectivity in the cuttings on the greenline to validate credit/debit card purchases?

How would customers buy tickets on trams when they cna barely fit onto the tram due to high peak loads?

How would you deal with coinboxes being stolen?

How would you top up leap cards on trams with no guaranteed internet connectivity?

I assume they use a mobile phone network. Well trams get packed in Munich and people still buy tickets. German rarely have common sense in these situations and even they know not to stand in front of the ticket machines. Do coin boxes get stolen on the other train ticket machines in Ireland? We need to stop thinking Dublin is a third world country. I think 2 Dublin bikes have been stolen since it started. We can assume there will never be an empty tram for someone to rob on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

How do you deter fare evasion if you make it possible to buy tickets after you commence your journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

AngryLips wrote: »
    How do you deter fare evasion if you make it possible to buy tickets after you commence your journey?

In Melbourne the ticket machines are on the tram and it was a nightmare. If the tram was full you would have a hard time getting past people to the ticket machine. The odd time ticket inspectors checked tickets as you got off the tram you would simply queue to buy a ticket and stay on the tram for an extra stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There was a case in Switzerland last year, after they abolished ticket sales on trains and make people buy them on the platform, or with your smart phone.

A passenger purchased a ticket, with his smart phone, while watching the train approach the station, and then boarded the train, later when challenged by a ticket checker, it transpired that it takes a few minutes to process the transaction, and the transaction was processed four minutes after the train left the station, and so he was fined 190 CHF, since he did not have a ticket when be boarded the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There was a case in Switzerland last year, after they abolished ticket sales on trains and make people buy them on the platform, or with your smart phone.

A passenger purchased a ticket, with his smart phone, while watching the train approach the station, and then boarded the train, later when challenged by a ticket checker, it transpired that it takes a few minutes to process the transaction, and the transaction was processed four minutes after the train left the station, and so he was fined 190 CHF, since he did not have a ticket when be boarded the train.
    Though that wouldn't deter fare evasion after getting on board. It seems that the ticket still has to have been purchased in all aspects before boarding, in the Swiss case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

That's the Swiss for ya!

I have a youngster who had a monthly student ticket that he forget - he was fined, he appealed (with evidence) and his fine was cancelled.

Fair play to the Luas operators.

• Advertisement

The ticket inspectors are plain clothed in Munich. They get on the tram, wait for the doors to close. If its the U-Bahn, they shout tickets and open their wallets to flash their IDs. Everyone shows their tickets and within in 90 seconds the whole carriage has been inspected. If they catch anyone, they collect the fine on the spot. If you dont have money they bring you to an ATM or kindly drop you to a police station where you will be released when someone can pay your fine.

One the trams they wait for the doors to stop, stand beside the ticket machines and wait 10 seconds. Then they inspect tickets. I imagine if you havent attempted to buy tickets within 10 seconds of getting on the tram. It can be assumed, you werent going to buy one

Advertisement