Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*REHOMING thread* (Once off requests only)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

hi would love to have this terrier i have 2 others and love my dogs did you re-home him yet?

Terrier?
    Its a German Shephard

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

fair play olcod its a pity there is not more people like u in this world

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

hi would love to have this terrier i have 2 others and love my dogs did you re-home him yet?

Would rather she went to someone who knew their dogs but thanks anyway

****** UPDATE ON ANGEL******

Angel may possibly have a home in the UK, it's actually my sisters friend and i've known the man for years and know that he will care for her the way she deserves, he is giving it some serious thought and I respect him for that and not just agreeing to get her on a whim, anyway she is still available at present but im to inform this man if anyone else is looking to take her....sooo...she IS still available but possibly has the chance of a home in the uk.
    Thanks to everyone for all their kind comments and fingers crossed angel will have the permanent and loving home she deserves soon and i'll keep everyone on here up dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

olcod wrote: »
    Would rather she went to someone who knew their dogs but thanks anyway

If you check puppieperson's posts, I think he/she is responding to someone's thread about a terrier cross to be rehomed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83653164

puppieperson you could try PM Lezdid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My ridiculously photogenic kitten Elliott is looking for a new home. He loves the camera and poses for it. :pac: He's around 6-7 months old, had his vaccinations, neutered, and chipped. I don't have much time lately with a new job and various courses. In addition, he keeps trying to get outside but it's not possible or practical where I live. I don't think this is fair on him so I'd like to home him with someone nice who has more time and can let him out to play sometimes.

hZcYjC2.jpg

Oops, should mention, I'm in Dublin 1.

If you check puppieperson's posts, I think he/she is responding to someone's thread about a terrier cross to be rehomed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83653164

puppieperson you could try PM Lezdid.

Oh yes, my apologies puppieperson :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22 amyjtyrrell

We are looking for either bicon frise, Maltese or Yorkshire terrier puppies if anyone has any???? Would be going to a really good home :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

olcod wrote: »
    Some pics of Angel, sorry they are not the best but will try and get better one's tomorrow

Sooooooooooo cute!! I wish I could have her <3

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dellytots

photo.php?fbid=449576621787464&set=a.436460653099061.101527.436453236433136&type=1&theater

This Is Penny. Shes about 6months old. She was found in kilcoole co wicklow a week ago no collar, no chip, pound was contacted, her pic has been posted on all the lost and found websites but no owners have come forward. She is looking for a forever home. She is great with other dogs, kids and cats what more could you want?! Fantastic little dog

picture doesnt seem to be working heres the link - http://www.facebook.com/TheDoggieLodge?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=449576621787464&set=a.436460653099061.101527.436453236433136&type=1&theater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 supershy

I have a nearly 6 month old labrador. He is neutered, microchipped, vaccinated etc. He is a very strong dog and as he is still a pup, he requires a lot of training and patience with him. I will be perfectly honest & tell you that he is not great around kids. He is not aggressive but should not be left alone with them as he seems to think they are toys!!! He is your typical lab pup - not great on the lead - gets distracted by a leaf, a stone, a dog etc. etc. He wants to stop & greet every single person he meets so a walk of may be 50 metres could take 45 minutes. I think he is best suited to a home with a very dominant male in it & preferably no other dogs

I'm soo emotional about having to give him up that I am finding it soo hard to write this notice. I can't bring myself to talk to anybody about giving the dog up as i keep crying so please bear with me.

My next post will have a pic of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

supershy wrote: »
    I have a nearly 6 month old labrador. He is neutered, microchipped, vaccinated etc. He is a very strong dog and as he is still a pup, he requires a lot of training and patience with him. I will be perfectly honest & tell you that he is not great around kids. He is not aggressive but should not be left alone with them as he seems to think they are toys!!! He is your typical lab pup - not great on the lead - gets distracted by a leaf, a stone, a dog etc. etc. He wants to stop & greet every single person he meets so a walk of may be 50 metres could take 45 minutes. I think he is best suited to a home with a very dominant male in it & preferably no other dogs

I'm soo emotional about having to give him up that I am finding it soo hard to write this notice. I can't bring myself to talk to anybody about giving the dog up as i keep crying so please bear with me.

My next post will have a pic of him

OP,

Do you mind if i ask what training you have done with thislab? Simple obedience training and puppy classes will help this behaviour massively.

Your dog is 6 months old… ALL dogs at 6 months old think childrenare their play toys, they have to be trained and taught boundaries…. TBH it’snot fair saying he’s not good with kids if he’s only 6 months ALL puppiesbehave like this, at 6 months you have still TONS of training to be done.

You said in your post you can’t bear to talk to someoneabout this… BUT you should, if you post in in boards posters will be able tohelp you with your dog, please do not rehome him as he is behaving as a NORMAL puppy, it’s up to you to train him.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP,

Do you mind if i ask what training you have done with thislab? Simple obedience training and puppy classes will help this behaviour massively.

Your dog is 6 months old… ALL dogs at 6 months old think childrenare their play toys, they have to be trained and taught boundaries…. TBH it’snot fair saying he’s not good with kids if he’s only 6 months ALL puppiesbehave like this, at 6 months you have still TONS of training to be done.

You said in your post you can’t bear to talk to someoneabout this… BUT you should, if you post in in boards posters will be able tohelp you with your dog, please do not rehome him as he is behaving as a NORMAL puppy, it’s up to you to train him.

This 100%.
    I have a 9 month old labrador. She is boisterous. Absolutely loves meeting people. Greets me by jumping as high as she can to lick my nose. Im careful around kids just because she wants to play with them and she is really strong. She can pull on lead, needs to lead the walk but I have a retractable lead ao im not running along with her.
    You have a 100% normal lab puppy and being brutally honest with you you need to give him more time/ patience/ training. This is just the way they are and its not fair giving up on him to make life easier for yourself. They are an extremely easily trained breed. get some treats, work hard with him or even get him some obedience training but do not give up on him. Id give up my house before Id Give up on my lab!

He is scheduled to start obedience training on the 20th of April for 4 weeks and then go in to doggie daycare for two days a weeks (and my understanding of the doggie daycare programme is that they do training with him also) i have done all the things that you normally do, if he pulls i bring him back to heel, if he sees another dog, or any other sort of distraction, i bring his attention back to me, make him sit and give him a treat, i have done all the run of the mill stuff. The lab is 4 stone (not overweight by any means as the vets have said he is just a big strong fella) and i have done all the introducing him to the kids and making sure they are calm and let him smell them etc etc but it is absolute carnage when he is around kids. I take him for 3 walks a day, and then play with him out the back when we come home as i can't let him of the leash because he won't come back to me. I am extremely overwhelmed and mentally & physically shattered. My parents won't take him for even a few hours to help out (and they have had dogs all their lives from GSD's to collies to spaniels) as they would mind my nieces & nephews and they don't want him around the children.

I know three people who have labs & i have spoken to them til i am blue in the face and i am constantly being told conflicting advise. Make sure you let him know who is boss - dominance training is outdated. Get a choke chain, dont get a choke chain - shout at him in a deep voice, use a calm voice. Hit him with a rolled up newspaper - dont hit. Then what everybody is telling me is that i should have got a bitch lab.

I am now at the stage where i think the dog is suffering because of me. I have very little control over him so much so that this morning i had sunglasses on me at 7am in the morning cos i was crying out of frustration with him. I even said to somebody, that for me it has not been an enjoyable experience or a pleasure to have him

He is scheduled to start obedience training on the 20th of April for 4 weeks and then go in to doggie daycare for two days a weeks (and my understanding of the doggie daycare programme is that they do training with him also) i have done all the things that you normally do, if he pulls i bring him back to heel, if he sees another dog, or any other sort of distraction, i bring his attention back to me, make him sit and give him a treat, i have done all the run of the mill stuff. The lab is 4 stone (not overweight by any means as the vets have said he is just a big strong fella) and i have done all the introducing him to the kids and making sure they are calm and let him smell them etc etc but it is absolute carnage when he is around kids. I take him for 3 walks a day, and then play with him out the back when we come home as i can't let him of the leash because he won't come back to me. I am extremely overwhelmed and mentally & physically shattered. My parents won't take him for even a few hours to help out (and they have had dogs all their lives from GSD's to collies to spaniels) as they would mind my nieces & nephews and they don't want him around the children.

I know three people who have labs & i have spoken to them til i am blue in the face and i am constantly being told conflicting advise. Make sure you let him know who is boss - dominance training is outdated. Get a choke chain, dont get a choke chain - shout at him in a deep voice, use a calm voice. Hit him with a rolled up newspaper - dont hit. Then what everybody is telling me is that i should have got a bitch lab.

I am now at the stage where i think the dog is suffering because of me. I have very little control over him so much so that this morning i had sunglasses on me at 7am in the morning cos i was crying out of frustration with him. I even said to somebody, that for me it has not been an enjoyable experience or a pleasure to have him

OP, I completely understand how you fell i really do... but all the issues you mentioned are easily sorted, he's is ONLY 6 months old, he's still learning and will be until he is 2 years old approx.

DEF no on the choke chain.... try one of these:

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

they are excellent...

the show him whose boss is a total load of rubbish....

Get him neutered and bring him to classes and you will see a massive diffrence in behaviour - IMO rehoming is not the answer

ALL puppies act crazy around kids... they cant help it they get too excited, with proper training this too cant be sorted.... with reagd to your parents not wanting to take them, tough on them really. my cocker was a head case as a puppy, my enire family wouldnt let him over to visit used to take the piss out of him "that he wasa pain in the ass dog" etc but i presisted and spent time training him and low and behold they all now ADORE him, they fight over who's minding him etc....

IMO your not giving him enough time he's still very very young...

he's is hyper by the sounds of it.... neuter him this will help and what are you feeding him? poor quality dog food will lead to hyperness and thus lead to bad behaviour.... you should be posting this in A&P and not in rehoming....

a few simple steps will help you tame your puppy.... he's only 6 months onld your not giving him eoungh time to adjust and learn the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP what are you feeding him? Diet can have a huge impact on behaviour.

I agree with starting a new thread in the main forum as some posters don't post here or get notifications for this thread) A visit from a properly qualified behaviourist could help you as they visit you in your home and see what he's doing first hand and can perhaps see things that you might be missing.

I even said to somebody, that for me it has not been an enjoyable experience or a pleasure to have him

on this... puppies are really hard work. and i mean really hard..... BUT you only get out of a dog the time / training you invest in him....

There were times when my guy was shredding the kitchen, crying all night long for months on end.... opening my washing machine and eating all the collars off my clothes that i thought... crap what have i done... but i got a dog trainer out, she trained ME and my dog and now i would never be without him...

you only get out what you put in and 6 months is NOT enough time to make a decision on a dog IMO.

Im sorry i have to ream this off again but a dog is a 15 year commitment... its just not fair on your dog to "give up" on him after 4 months of ownership all because you havent spent time training him.

Im sorry but its the truth. Ive offered you some good advise on head collars , getting him trained etc its up to you what you do now.

Im sorry i feel really sorry for your dog, all puppies are a nightmare in one way or another and if all of us dog owners were to just give up after 6 months well then all puppies would be up for rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Supershy if you would like advice for your Labrador please by all means start a new thread. This thread is for REHOMING purposes and while i know other posters are all well meaning with helpful advice please start a new thread or PM the OP. Thanks

Thanks for all you helpful tips and advice.

couple of things - he is neutered already. he is on red mills large puppy food - only two meals a day and treats when i am walking him or doing recall with him out the back & some raw hide when he is the house and i want to get some cleaning done or whatever.

I didnt come on here to start a thread for advise on the dog because i have been so confused out of my mind with people telling me to try soo many different techniques with the dog and it hasn't gotten me anywhere really. It is getting to the stage where i am trying out 2 or 3 different techniques all in the space of 3 minutes with the poor fella. As i said, i have him due to start puppy training on the 20th April but i don't think i will last until then.

I just never thought that it would end up like this....i'm now up 4 hours before i have to start work, my health is suffering and i am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Supershy, we have some posters here who will give great advice and a really good Moderator DBB who may be able to help if you so wish. Please start a new thread as it sounds like you've tried to get good advice but have gotten too many conflicting opinions. It will do no harm as it sounds like you do love your dog.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all you helpful tips and advice.

couple of things - he is neutered already. he is on red mills large puppy food - only two meals a day and treats when i am walking him or doing recall with him out the back & some raw hide when he is the house and i want to get some cleaning done or whatever.

I didnt come on here to start a thread for advise on the dog because i have been so confused out of my mind with people telling me to try soo many different techniques with the dog and it hasn't gotten me anywhere really. It is getting to the stage where i am trying out 2 or 3 different techniques all in the space of 3 minutes with the poor fella. As i said, i have him due to start puppy training on the 20th April but i don't think i will last until then.

I just never thought that it would end up like this....i'm now up 4 hours before i have to start work, my health is suffering and i am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

OP training takes MONTHS not changing techniques every 3 mins.... i can tell you your puppy is NORMAL... thats what puppies do at 6 months, no matter what breed you have thats how they behave its up to you as his owner to show him the proper way to behave. No different than a child it takes months and months ....

I have tried to offer you good advice, you are not preapred to train your dog, you have made up your mind.

but please take one lesson for this.... if you are not prepared to commit 15 years to a dog and proper training then please dont get another dog as you will end up in the same position... dogs are not disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP training takes MONTHS not changing techniques every 3 mins.... i can tell you your puppy is NORMAL... thats what puppies do at 6 months, no matter what breed you have thats how they behave its up to you as his owner to show him the proper way to behave. No different than a child it takes months and months ....

I have tried to offer you good advice, you are not preapred to train your dog, you have made up your mind.

but please take one lesson for this.... if you are not prepared to commit 15 years to a dog and proper training then please dont get another dog as you will end up in the same position... dogs are not disposable.

And Ill add researching dogs is so important for people. Labs are hyperactive and friendly puppies. one google search will show you that! they not gonna lie at your feet when you come home. takes mine a good hour to settle her excitement!

i have started a separate thread so lets see what happens....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

Hi all... I've been thinking this over for a while, as much as I don't want to (coz I love him to bits). I need a good home for my dog Bruce... He's a half American Staffordshire/Labrador About a year old, I actually rescued him myself about 6 months ago from a chap that was going to kill the poor thing.. He is an absolutely fabulous dog, extremely friendly, playfull, good with other dogs, the lot... I just don't have firstly the room, or the time for him because of working hours, and it kills me leaving him home during the day... If someone is looking for a great new family member, please let me know... I would only give him up to someone who has the room for him.. ie. a nice size garden, and the time for him... Thanks all.... James

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Need Home

Hi guys, hoping maybe someone could help me out, or maybe you might know someone who can take this little fella on

s2z7t1.jpg

He's an absolute gem of a dog, he would make a great companion for anyone and he is fantastic with children. At the end of last summer I noticed him outside my home, there had been several days of rain in a row and he was soaked to the skin. I took him in with the hope of finding his owner. I've exhausted all avenues of finding the owner at this stage, and I need to find a forever home for him.

He is genuinely a great dog, but I have to let him go because my garden is tiny and I'm afraid the whole family are away all day during the week and I'm worried he'll get depressed on his own.

I've advertised him on done deal too, but I'm fed up with time wasters at this stage. It's likely that if I don't find a new home for him by the end of the week I'll have to take him to the dog pound.

We are based in North County Dublin. If anybody thinks they can help, please pm me.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Well if you take the poor guy to the dog pound he will be far more depressed or worse. He would be better off with you until you can find him a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Well even worse than depressed, as surrender he won't have many days maybe??
    have you tried to contact all the associations?
    I've rehomed Marley in 2 weeks (well, I'll bring her on sat) thanks to a rescue.. she would stay with me in foster until I could find a place..

Thanks for the replies. Of course I'd rather he wasn't destroyed, or I wouldn't have hung onto him for so long. I know how heart breaking it must be for someone to lose their dog, so I spent most of those months hoping his owner would surface. There is a matter of urgency at this stage because I'm also a single mother with two kids and I'm struggling to support them let alone the little fella. I can't really afford the rehoming fee, and I'm finding it hard to find him a new home. That's why I'm here :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Need Home wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Of course I'd rather he wasn't destroyed, or I wouldn't have hung onto him for so long. I know how heart breaking it must be for someone to lose their dog, so I spent most of those months hoping his owner would surface. There is a matter of urgency at this stage because I'm also a single mother with two kids and I'm struggling to support them let alone the little fella. I can't really afford the rehoming fee, and I'm finding it hard to find him a new home. That's why I'm here :/

Hopefully you will get sorted soon. I'm actually a single parent too & I've lots of dogs so it can be done!
    I think the rehoming fee is for when you are adopting a dog, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    Hopefully you will get sorted soon. I'm actually a single parent too & I've lots of dogs so it can be done!
    I think the rehoming fee is for when you are adopting a dog, not the other way around.

I've quite a bit of debt to clear Knine, and Sw goes no where :(

Is there not a fee for leaving a dog in?

Advertisement