Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I really love being indoors and seeing it pouring - very rarely happens here. I hope that Wednesday's "deluge" lives up to its expectations! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I really love being indoors and seeing it pouring - very rarely happens where. I hope that Wednesday's "deluge" lives up to its expectations! :pac:

I'm the opposite. Fed up with this winter and the incessant bleak and wet weather. I don't mind going back to work tomorrow. Very wet here in south Tipp winds gusting also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cannot believe it's gonna be so bad on Wednesday, I have a wedding to go to....not looking forward to going to the hairdressers in that wind and rain on Wednesday morning and then trying to make it into the church without being blown away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I really love being indoors and seeing it pouring - very rarely happens here. I hope that Wednesday's "deluge" lives up to its expectations! :pac:

I don't suppose you're too concerned for the people in Athlone, Galway, Corbally etc. so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

tippman1 wrote: »
    I don't suppose you're too concerned for the people in Athlone, Galway, Corbally etc. so?

Concrete all round as well I bet.....what's mud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Typical Irish snowman. :D

372816.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Living on high ground, certain winters you get snowed in as you can't drive, other winters one is thankful they don't flooded, but is not great to be sticking out in a wind storm except I am sheltered from a easterly/southerly storm.
    I see all the water running off my hill and it is a lot of water, desperate times for people living on flat low ground near rivers and streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    Living on high ground, certain winters you get snowed in as you can't drive, other winters one is thankful they don't flooded, but is not great to be sticking out in a wind storm except I am sheltered from a easterly/southerly storm.
    I see all the water running off my hill and it is a lot of water, desperate times for people living on flat low ground near rivers and streams.

Sharing your thoughts Robert. All it takes here is a hard frost and I am stranded but I am used to it and we cope, Will never forget your posts in that bad winter, out there milking the cows and keeping them watered etc. And I was stuck in the Blue Stacks, with neighbours who refused to get fuel to me. Much better here as I can get things delivered if I need to.

tippman1 wrote: »

Some are spectators of, some are enforcedly participants in dramatic weather events. Up here I am both...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Still, we are getting off pretty light compared to some of the places in the states in the last few days.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-texas-storms-southeast-weather-20151227-story.html

• Advertisement

Mild and still and dry here now. South Kerry 400 asl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye,dull and windy but dry in Arklow
    We had about 20 mins sun earlier
    Not the worst of a day compared to stephens day's washout

I got my weather station in autumn 2011, the wettest month so far has been June 2012 when 178.6mm fell.
    Currently for December 2015, the total stands at 177.8mm, the old record is going to be smashed.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I got my weather station in autumn 2011, the wettest month so far has been June 2012 when 178.6mm fell.
    Currently for December 2015, the total stands at 177.8mm, the old record is going to be smashed.

237 here Robert,youre getting away lightly! I actually thought my davis was broken until I checked an official met E rain station 4 miles up the road which was similar :eek:
    Records well smashed
    Startedlashing here again

237 here Robert,youre getting away lightly! I actually thought my davis was broken until I checked an official met E rain station 4 miles up the road which was similar :eek:
    Records well smashed
    Startedlashing here again

6 miles away in Kilkenny city as the crow flies (7 miles by road) the rainfall total is 179.2mm and that is also an official Met Eireann rain station, there is one close to me in Coon about 3 miles away or Coan as Met Eireann called it as they have it in their weather events section for the amount of rain that fell in 15 minutes during the 1985 thunderstorms.

Yeah we avoided the worst, 237mm is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I checked my Davis Vantage Vue just now and it's just gone to 260mm.
    Is that possible? Sounds excessive but the station is very reliable and stable and away from trees, branches etc. Still sounds too high but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Lashing with rain in Galway City, it's hasn't really stopped all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Lashing with rain in Galway City, it's hasn't really stopped all day.

It's ridiculous. My granny lives between Tierneevin and Kiltiernan and the only way in on the 24th was through Kinvara and a relief rood that only opens for floods and it's rising steadily there! They won't be able to get to the farm soon. :(

It's a month now. Please stop raining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Met some of the heaviest rain on the motorway, Loughrea area was the worst. The Shannon looks very high at Athlone, very close to a couple of housing estates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got 20.4mm here in Ardfert Co. Kerry so far today ,19.4mm of which fell between 03.30 and 11.30

River Lee in Tralee town very high, http://waterlevel.ie/0000023012/0001/day/

Pic taken today at 14.15 approx.

bqg6Xgb.jpg?1

Highest gust at 01.59 of 71 kph

And got crazy mild last night with a top temp of 14.7C at 00.09, has been mostly near calm since around 10.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hi all.

Sorry if this isnt the right place to post this. Does anyone know how to find out how many continuous days of rainfall we have had ? say in Limerick?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Grange's December statistics so far

Rainfall: 183.5mm (306% of the LTA) - currently my third wettest month on record and my wettest December on record

Temperature: 8.5c (+4.4c above the LTA) - my warmest December on record

Sunshine: 50 hours (101% of the LTA) - nothing remarkable

It doesn't feel like a sunny December though as I have recorded 12 dull days. It will be very interesting if Wednesday's deluge could make that wettest month record smash

Bit of a downpour there in the past half hour, rain rate of 49.8mm/hr. Stopped raining now for the time being.

Still teaming down in Arklow :/
    Totally exposed to the south here,no hill just sea so I expect to be using the generator again this time tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Monsoon like rain here in Swords, lucky it only lasted 5-10min.

Second heaviest rainfall I have seen this year after the deluge on November 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Just a quick question that's been on my mind for a few weeks.

Warmer temps have lead to greater energy in weather along the jet stream. (I think!)

Does it not follow that such a set of circumstances would push us very far away from a cold snap or extended cold period?

Are we seeing what could be a prolonged warming that would give us months of this muck in the medium or long term without prospect of a colder more wintery setup?

Warmer temps have lead to greater energy in weather along the jet stream. (I think!)

Does it not follow that such a set of circumstances would push us very far away from a cold snap or extended cold period?

Are we seeing what could be a prolonged warming that would give us months of this muck in the medium or long term without prospect of a colder more wintery setup?

Well the BBC said there is a chance for much colder conditions in January (probably even next week - though it is less likely than the unsettled, mild conditions)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

My simplistic opinion is the supply of warm mild air can't last forever. The sun is weak in the sky so not supplying any energy.

Think of it as a kettle just boiled. Lots of hot spots for a while but until the kettle (the sun) gets turned on again, the hot spots will soon disappear, to be replaced by a prolonged cold period.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement