Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

SSB I am in floods at my desk here in work. So very sorry for you and your OH but Shadow let you both know that you were doing the right thing. All three of you were there for each other in the end. He was a beautiful dog, and obviously so loved. They make such an impact on our lives even though we only have them for a short time but take comfort in that you obviously did the same for Shadow (((hugs)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Did anyone see the episode of Ricky Gervais's Derek where his favourite dog Ivor had to get put down - it just ripped me apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Just got to read your post now ShaShaBear. Flood of tears. I can relate a bit too, but even without that resonance I'd be as saddened.
    A lovely tribute. xx

Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-15.22.00-e1410186150549.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Aw, Shashabear, your words about your Shadow were wonderful. RIP, gorgeous Shadow.

• Advertisement

Posting now with heavy heart, and also pretty late. There's a reason I haven't even wanted to look in here for the past couple years, I think, and that's because I didn't want to be reminded of what was coming down the tracks.

Because 2 years ago our gorgeous dobie Lola suffered a slipped disc. She was almost parlysed halfway down her back, and I was absolutely devastated, although she herself was amazingly calm about the whole matter. She just gave us the look that said, "fix it!" and it happened. She responded very well to treatment that time, and gradually recovered very good strength and mobility. I'd already got a hint of her mortality, but we were reprieved for the time being.

I took her to hydrotherapy, and gradually restored her activities to almost all of what we had had before. Then, Easter last year, she suddenly broke out in an abscess below and to one side of her tail-bone. The vet diagnosed it as an infection which had most likely been incipient all along from her dock, and also as a possible cause of the slipped disc the year before. It's quite possible there had been some pain there, as that's quite likely to be present long before it breaks through to the surface tissue, which caused her to move wrongly, leading to the spinal injury.

That infection proved quite hard to treat, relapsing twice more before it finally remitted fully, and causing more tissue damage each time, of course. Last Autumn I took her to the vet with reduced mobility, suspecting pain was the cause, which the vet agreed with.

We got a final good lease of life with NSAIDs after that, until a couple of months ago, when she suffered a relapse of the spinal pressure, again almost paralysing her behind.

Once again she did respond to treatment, and had a lot of good walks and extra spoiling all the time: I knew the writing was on the wall, and sooner or later she would relapse again with this, and not respond to the treatment.

And so it proved. Just over 2 weeks ago, it happened again, or rather almost. This time she was still able to walk into the vet surgery, so it wasn't as sudden. She had the injections and came straight home with me, where when it was total paralysis, he always kept her the rest of the day.

Again she started to improve, we had a few nice walks, but then 3 days later, almost full paralysis behind again, so back to the vet again. I let him try one more time, but without great hope, mainly because Lola was still looking at me with the hopeful eyes, so I knew she wasn't quite ready to give up the fight. She spent that Friday in having fluids and everything again, and was showing some improvement by evening, so I took her home again.

However, this time I could see she was not gaining back the control of her movement that she'd gotten the other times. Also her arse kept dropping away under her, which was very distressing, as I couldn't seem to be always there quick enough to catch her, and it obviously still hurt.

A complete change in her demeanour came about at this point, and I could see that it all suddenly wasn't worth it for her any more. My OH, whom she utterly adored, cuddled her for 2 hours on the sofa, and she couldn't even get her smug on.

Once we'd seen that, last Friday night, that was enough for me. I knew it was time. We'd done enough, and couldn't bear to put her through any more, so we made that last, heavy-hearted vet trip on Saturday morning. Stout-hearted OH began digging as soon as we got home, and she was buried an hour later in the (very young) orchard.

I must say tho, our vet did a wonderful job for her. He was walking an ownerless RTA victim he'd treated during the week when we arrived, and when he saw us, he told us to wait with her in the car: he'd come and do it there.

After a few minutes he came out, got me to sit with her, brought up the vein, and then when he saw the stuff sting a bit, and that she was getting nervous, brought out some sedative first instead. He left her with us for that to work for a while, and suddenly she got happy and smug again while we cuddled her, which she hadn't been since this last downturn the previous thursday evening.

So we got a much nicer last half-hour with her than we ever expected when we drove in there that Saturday.

And then when he finally came and did the deed, she was quite relaxed, and just went gently to sleep. It's an awful thing to have to do, but honestly couldn't have been nicer for her at the end than he made it. I really was very grateful for that.

Oh, and one other thing, we often used to have her in bed with us, back in the better times, but for the past couple of years that was rare, as the stairs were quite difficult for her.

But the last night, when I'd pretty much decided it was the last night, I said sod that. Got up, went down, and carried her up to the bed. So she did at least spend her last night cuddled against my body. And I'll always be so very glad I did that! She also got all the duck necks we still had thawed out for her last breakfast. She absolutely adored those, and I made sure she had plenty.

I still keep catching myself looking for her tho! Wonder when that stops? Catches one out something horrid sometimes :rolleyes:

Anyways, she was a wonderful girlie, loved by many people. I was always so grateful that she was so chill and adaptable. We could take her with us wherever we went, visiting family and friends, and people would always just comment on how sweet-natured and easy-going she was. I'll never forget my adorable, softie darling of a Dobermann :( RIP Lola May 2006 - 30th August 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Oh Ferretone, I'm so sorry :( It's heartbreaking, but I think the worst part is at home afterwards. Just when I finally think I'm starting to recover, something happens and I shatter to pieces. Even going to the fridge is a mission because Shadow was always there, performing his myriad of tricks without prompt in the hopes that you would toss him a slice of ham :o His squeaky toys are still on the floor where he left them, his bowls are still out - I just can't bear to put them away :(

It's such a hard decision to make, but I am (in a way) glad that you had a peaceful and loving experience like I did. It sounds like Lola was so glad to have the pain taken away and all she knew at the end was love. It's the greatest gift we can give them, I think, after so many years of an endless supply of love and adoration! :o

Run Free Lola :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

ferretone wrote: »
    I'll never forget my adorable, softie darling of a Dobermann :( RIP Lola May 2006 - 30th August 2014

Absolutely touching :(
    Though the hardest thng to do, it's also the greatest gift we can give our pets after the world of love they gave us without asking anything back.
    RIP Lola, you surely were wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

ferretone wrote: »
    I still keep catching myself looking for her tho! Wonder when that stops? Catches one out something horrid sometimes :rolleyes:

:( RIP Lola May 2006 - 30th August 2014

I lost my springer just over 2 months ago and I still look for him. I was away last month had my 2 terriers with me but coming coming I kept getting excited at the thought of seeing my guy and then being so disappointed when it dawned on me I wouldn't :(

Today is one year since my beloved cat Tom went across the Rainbow Bridge, and not a single day has passed without me thinking of him at least five times a day, not a single day has passed without a tear from my eyes :(
    Today at 6:35 pm, the moment he left me one year ago, I spent more than one tear for him. I remembered every moment of the illness that took him away from me and those memory torn my heart.
    RIP Tom, you are always in my heart!

• Advertisement

Today is one year since my beloved cat Tom went across the Rainbow Bridge, and not a single day has passed without me thinking of him at least five times a day, not a single day has passed without a tear from my eyes :(
    Today at 6:35 pm, the moment he left me one year ago, I spent more than one tear for him. I remembered every moment of the illness that took him away from me and those memory torn my heart.
    RIP Tom, you are always in my heart!

He's so elegant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Cannot believe it's been a whole year since my gorgeas boy Frankie passed away on the 24th, he is missed more and more everyday. I was on the train on Wednesday and I remembered the message I sent all our family, friends, neighbours and the post I made on boards about him passing away and It still hurts just as much now.

Love always Frankie xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

my dog spot died two years ago on the 30th of September. I buried him two years ago today. I miss him terribly and think about him all day every day. I feel bad that he is gone I love him to pieces. I want him back.

my dog spot died two years ago on the 30th of September. I buried him two years ago today. I miss him terribly and think about him all day every day. I feel bad that he is gone I love him to pieces. I want him back.

I'd go to the ends of the earth to get Shadow back. We have a foster dog here and she is amazing and has really helped, but sometimes when I hear her coming down the stairs, I think Shadow's going to walk into the room and it cuts me to pieces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'd go to the ends of the earth to get Shadow back. We have a foster dog here and she is amazing and has really helped, but sometimes when I hear her coming down the stairs, I think Shadow's going to walk into the room and it cuts me to pieces.

I know exactly how you feel, I'm still looking for rusty, and expecting to see him rather than Elly. We lost him 5 months ago now, and whilst I no longer cry every day, my heart still breaks pining for him.

ShaShaBear wrote: »

i do pet and talk to my next door neighbours dog but its just not the same as having spot around. he was my best pal and fun to have around the house.

I remember when he:

threw up on the couch on 3 separate occasions
    came into the house all wet and dirty and laid down on my bed and got duvet cover bed sheet and pillow cases covered in muck
    pulled down the clothes of the washing line when he was a playful pup, not just our line but also the neighbours washing line too.

not once did I get cross or angry with him, I never raised my voice at him at all, I may have a little word with him every now and again but in the end I had to laugh about it. he was never a bad little dog just curious very eager and very very friendly.

Spot I miss you please come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

We lost Misty today aged 18 years, she suffered a stroke and had to be put to sleep. I am heartbroken, I was only 5 when we got her and she was my bestfriend right through the years. She always cheered me up if I had a bad day at school or whatever.

And while I am trying to come to terms with the fact that she is gone, people make the insensitive comment of saying its just a dog that can be replaced. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Karen91 wrote: »
    We lost Misty today aged 18 years, she suffered a stroke and had to be put to sleep. I am heartbroken, I was only 5 when we got her and she was my bestfriend right through the years. She always cheered me up if I had a bad day at school or whatever.

And while I am trying to come to terms with the fact that she is gone, people make the insensitive comment of saying its just a dog that can be replaced. :(

I'm so sorry that you've lost Misty and especially as she was such a part of your growing. Just know that she had all your love in that time and that putting her to sleep was the final act of that love.

I don't understand when 'people' make comments like that. I guess you have to accept that they've never been privileged enough to achieve that bond that you had with Misty and see that as their lacking. Just know that there are plenty of people here that understand completely.

I'm sorry for the loss of your Misty, 18 years is a long path of life together, it's not easy to come to terms with that.
    As for those who say that a dog can't be replaced, well, I guess that they haven't understood anything of life and its meaning.
    RIP Misty :(

I'm sorry for the loss of your Misty, 18 years is a long path of life together, it's not easy to come to terms with that.
    As for those who say that a dog can't be replaced, well, I guess that they haven't understood anything of life and its meaning.
    RIP Misty :(

Anyone who says a dog can be easily replaced has never tried to replace a dog!

I love Opie to bits already, but he'll never be Shadow. With losing my dad, I've probably learned more than some how to accept a loss and know that nothing I do can bring a loved one back, so I've handled Shadow's passing a bit better and admittedly quicker than, say, my partner.
    I'd still give anything to be able to play squeaky with Shadow again, just for 5 minutes.
    Actually bawling here now! :o

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I no longer live with my parents and sadly I did not make it home to say good-bye as my parents rushed her to the vet. I really hope rainbow bridge exists and we will meet her again one day. I have another dog a one year old pomeranian but she will never be Misty, I love her to bits but she will never fill this void.

I would just like to say that this thread is a great idea, its very comforting to know that other people feel the same way I do.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I no longer live with my parents and sadly I did not make it home to say good-bye as my parents rushed her to the vet. I really hope rainbow bridge exists and we will meet her again one day. I have another dog a one year old pomeranian but she will never be Misty, I love her to bits but she will never fill this void.

I would just like to say that this thread is a great idea, its very comforting to know that other people feel the same way I do.

its great that this thread exists. its good to talk about it with other people who understand what you are going through. I feel for you I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Myself and my OH lost our girl yesterday, and we're absolutely devastated. We rescued her from a shelter in 2010. She was aged 9 or 10 when we got her, and it seems that she hadn't had a great life up until that point. Her teeth were in bits and her hips were bad. She couldn't get over that she'd be sleeping inside! She had to learn how to climb stairs as we became suckers and had her sleeping in our room (sometimes in the bed!!)

We had so many good times together, and I have so many happy memories. She was also fond of a bit of craziness, the following springs to mind:

- I once took her to the beach, reckoning she'd like to go for a swim. As it turned out she loved it, however didn't quite get the concept of staying parallel to the shore. I think she thought that the further she swam out to sea the better the swimming would be. I ended up having to get a boat to rescue her, she was 200m out from the shore at Seapoint beach!

- she was a quiet, placid dog most of the time. However when she was hungry she turned into a bit of a lunatic! The need for an alarm clock soon went out the window after she arrived, she'd wake us up every morning without fail by jumping on the bed barking her head off! We thought it was adorable. For 4 years we were never late for work or slept it in due to having our own personal alarm clock dog!

- she loved tennis balls, and one was just not enough for her. When we went to the beach she actively sought to steal the balls of other dogs, and often ended up with 2 or 3 tennis balls in her mouth. We were scared that she'd choke. She, evidently was not. No talking to her! And many dogs returned home after walkies ball-less due to her penchant for stealing. She was delighted. As a resuLt we now have an endless supply of tennis balls at home.

- she loved her walks. Anything to get out for a ramble, do a bit of sniffing and to mark a few spots.

The last years of her life saw her health get poor. Two years ago she went blind, but that didn't overly seem to affect her. Still happy, still bouncing around, still the life and soul of our house. The last few months however have been tough. She got forgetful, her old legs wouldn't allow her to climb the stairs or jump on the bed anymore. She spent a lot of time sleeping. The incontinence tablets stopped working.

She was due to be PTS 2 weeks ago but we couldn't go through with it. It was 7.20 and she was due to go to the vet at 7.45. We couldn't do it. We knew her time was nearly up but we wanted a little bit more time. A few more walks, a few more treats, a few more nights on the couch with us.

Since that day her health deteriorated further, and yesterday morning we knew that time was almost up. Breakfast yesterday consisted of a few donuts from supervalu and a nice healthy serving of skinners food, her favourite foods. We left for the vet at 1215 and she had passed by 1 o'clock.

The last 24 hours has been surreal, the house is so quiet. We have two other dogs, but they aren't quite as quirky as our Girl. We have a 10 month old son, and she was great with him. Tears, interspersed with recounting many years of happy memories. Then more tears.

I don't quite know how to say this - I've been to family funerals and haven't been this upset. It's just like the life has been sucked out of us, an empty feeling, the shock of her being gone has moved on to mourning and a tremendous sense of loss. Just devastated.

However I'm struck with another feeling as well as that of loss. This one is of thanks. Gratitude, huge gratitude. We were privileged to have the bear (as we called her) as a part of our life for 4 and a half years. She was with us through the good times, and through the bad. She was here when our son was born and took a real shine to him. Babies can be rough with their little hands but She didn't care. She just wagged her tail.

I hope that she has moved on to bigger and better things wherever she is now. I hope she is wagging her tail and getting well fed. I hope that who ever she is with now knows that they are looking after one in a million! I hope they are giving her long walks and giving her plenty of hugs and kisses.

Thanks for all the years of love. Although there are lots of tears now because you are gone, they are also tears of joy for all the happy memories we shared together.

Sleep well our darling princess xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Millem wrote: »

I don't quite know how to say this - I've been to family funerals and haven't been this upset. It's just like the life has been sucked out of us, an empty feeling, the shock of her being gone has moved on to mourning and a tremendous sense of loss. Just devastated.

Yes.
    I believe that there are dogs that are "soul partners" - just as we can have soul partners with humans. Sounds like you were lucky enough to have a soul partner in her. It does get easier - we lost our beloved Pepper this summer -think of him all the time, but it gets easier...

It certainly sounds as if she was extremely lucky to come upon you guys to spend her twilight years with, Millem! The stories you tell are so priceless, especially getting a boat out to bring her back from her swim! Far too many dogs don't nearly as much fun in their whole lives, as yours did in her final 4 years.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I know exactly how incredibly hard it is to say goodbye to such a special partner :( Take care of yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Very sorry for your loss Karen.
    People who have never lost a dog do not understand what this feels like. You've lost someone that you've had an emotional connection with for their whole life, you've communicated all your emotions and thoughts through speaking to someone who couldn't talk back, they've shared all your secrets and expected nothing in return, they've made you feel better everytime by saying nothing, just by being there, every single time. It's not the same as a human relationship, it's not better or worse than a human relationship, it's just different, and if someone has never experienced it they won't understand.

Don't worry about not being able to say goodbye. She took all her good memories with her.

I understand what you say about your other dog. I think for everyone there is always that one pet that you love the most, that you have a special connection with, it doesn't mean you don't love your other dog, particularly after 18 years with Misty, that's a long life together.

Very sorry for your loss Karen.
    People who have never lost a dog do not understand what this feels like. You've lost someone that you've had an emotional connection with for their whole life, you've communicated all your emotions and thoughts through speaking to someone who couldn't talk back, they've shared all your secrets and expected nothing in return, they've made you feel better everytime by saying nothing, just by being there, every single time. It's not the same as a human relationship, it's not better or worse than a human relationship, it's just different, and if someone has never experienced it they won't understand.

Don't worry about not being able to say goodbye. She took all her good memories with her.

I understand what you say about your other dog. I think for everyone there is always that one pet that you love the most, that you have a special connection with, it doesn't mean you don't love your other dog, particularly after 18 years with Misty, that's a long life together.

Thank you for your kind words, the past two days have been very hard and I would give anything to bring her back, it feels like a part of me died too and remembering her back through the years make it feel like my heart is being ripped from my chest I remember as if it were yesterday we brought her home for the first time as a three month old ball of white fluff, I remember running arounf the garden with her and the fun we used to have, I remember her wagging tail when I came home from school. Tears are just streaming down my face as I am writing this. I really cannot believe shes gone. The last two mornings have been hell, when I wake up and it suddenly hits me and its like receiving the bad news all over again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Thank you for your kind words, the past two days have been very hard and I would give anything to bring her back, it feels like a part of me died too and remembering her back through the years make it feel like my heart is being ripped from my chest I remember as if it were yesterday we brought her home for the first time as a three month old ball of white fluff, I remember running arounf the garden with her and the fun we used to have, I remember her wagging tail when I came home from school. Tears are just streaming down my face as I am writing this. I really cannot believe shes gone. The last two mornings have been hell, when I wake up and it suddenly hits me and its like receiving the bad news all over again :(

It does get easier to cope with how you're feeling.
    It will get easier to remember all the goods times without getting so upset that you cry.
    It takes a little bit of time and right now it's still very raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi all my heart is broken, we had to put our baby to sleep this morning, she was dumped as a pup over christmas 1999 outside our house, she gave us 14 years of pure enjoyment, she was just a big ball of fluff hence the name fluffy. She was a mix of i dont no want but she was ours the most gentle friendly loveable dog ive ever met. Slept in between us every night was like my shadow. The one thing she always had was that waggley tail it never stopped even in her sleep.
    She went down hill so fast im just in shock please say a pray for her. I really dont no what to say.
    Goodbye my loyal buddy fluff. Rest in peace my love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

my heart aches for you its 3 years today since I had to put 1 of mine to sleep take solace from the fact you know in your heart it was the right thing for her

we must make these decisions with their best interests in mind but god its never easy

hold on to the good memories she was lucky to have found you that is quite obvious from your post

Advertisement