Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

I hate when members from other parties get up and leave :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ah, good, Joan Burton is on. Time to switch off for a while. Most moany,annoying voice in politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed, some people. How much of the total young & single unemployed would these people represent though? Not very much, I would expect, in fact I'd imagine most just don't want to move back in with their parents.

Well I'm glad things are so cushy up your end of town that it's not a problem.

Maybe they don't want to move in cause their parent(s) is/was abusive? Or they don't get on?

Maybe they don't want to move in because their parents have no room?

Maybe they dont want to move in because their parents are struggling already?

Maybe their parents are dead?

There are plenty of reasons for not "wanting" to move home that are perfectly reasonable. So while it seems insignificant to you, unless you have figures that prove otherwise, the "move home" option is not as easy as some are implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Not too many, but there is still a need there.

Absolutely! I'm not suggesting that that clause of Rent Allowance be changed in any way. I just wanted to point out that out of people who move out of home and lose their job soon after, not too many of them will get rent allowance to offset their loss in JSA.

gandalf wrote: »
    Just saw the details of the budget. Surprised at the fact he hit the lower paid ps! Will comment further when I get home.

A lot of the PS who earn 30k or less are clerical staff who would be making much less in the private sector if they were doing the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ssaye wrote: »
    Which sector of society will be first to "storm the Dail" I suggest the OAPs who will have to pay 50c per prescription from April 2010, all people who have medical cards whatever age will also have to pay this 50c.

Wow - a whole 50c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

OK I see it this way:

0 - 30K 5%
    next 40K is 30K - 70k at 7.5%
    next 55K is 70 - 125k at 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kadafi006

I hate when members from other parties get up and leave :mad:

Its a sign of protest. Who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

gandalf wrote: »
    Just saw the details of the budget. Surprised at the fact he hit the lower paid ps! Will comment further when I get home.

PS lower paid starts at €24K
    PR SEC starts at 19K

24K is alot for filling forms

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    A lot of the PS who earn 30k or less are clerical staff who would be making much less in the private sector if they were doing the same job.

That doesn't make a bit of difference really, they're in the public sector, not the private sector. They're still low paid and they still got hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

David Begg is talking ****. 70% of people haven't had their wages cut... Christ. The survey's he's quoting do not say what he says!

That doesn't make a bit of difference really, they're in the public sector, not the private sectory. They're still low paid and they still got hit.

Sense make you good.

Alicat wrote: »
    Well I'm glad things are so cushy up your end of town that it's not a problem.

Maybe they don't want to move in cause their parent(s) is/was abusive? Or they don't get on?

Maybe they don't want to move in because their parents have no room?

Maybe they dont want to move in because their parents are struggling already?

Maybe their parents are dead?

There are plenty of reasons for not "wanting" to move home that are perfectly reasonable. So while it seems insignificant to you, unless you have figures that prove otherwise, the "move home" option is not as easy as some are implying.
    That's a lot of maybe's. Bring some actual facts and numbers to the argument and we'll see how it floats then.

For the time being, the best solution is for people to move home if they can't afford their lifestyle.

Jamie-b wrote: »
    This new applicant thing is rubbish. The new applicants are the ones who presumably have been working until now and not claiming benefits, and if they lose their job now they are worse off than someone unemployed all year! Crazy

No, they'll get Job Seekers Benefit which barely got touched today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

jenzz wrote: »
    He said the reducion is 4.1% so thats where the €8 comes from

Is it 4.1% or €8 though? (Not the same for me since JSA is means tested and I'm on a LOT less than the maximum amount). I've seen both written on different parts of the RTE and budget websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It looks to me as if my public service pension is untouched: there was some ambiguity in how he put things, but I don't think that pensions are being reduced pro rata with current salaries. Possibly another indication of the political fear caused by the medical cards debacle. If my interpretation is correct, I have no hesitation in saying that it is a wrong decision.

nesf wrote: »
    David Begg is talking ****. 70% of people haven't had their wages cut... Christ. The survey's he's quoting do not say what he says!
    Oh Nesf, you're not expecting some thing reasonable from Mr. Begg these days, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Who is that talking now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ashanti

excellent speech by Bruton. He made his points decisively and had a go at the govt for not going after those who brought this country to this state. Those bank executives who are still in their high paid positions despite what the banking sector has done. Not to mention the other policies or lack thereof, which brought a thriving economy to the one of the worst in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Rb wrote: »
    For the time being, the best solution is for people to move home if they can't afford their lifestyle, if circumstances allow

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It looks to me as if my public service pension is untouched: there was some ambiguity in how he put things, but I don't think that pensions are being reduced pro rata with current salaries. Possibly another indication of the political fear caused by the medical cards debacle. If my interpretation is correct, I have no hesitation in saying that it is a wrong decision.

Pensions will be dealt with in the 2011 budget with the changes being examined over the next year. That's what I got out of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Very annoyed the long term unemployed got off so lightly. Its only right newly redundant people who payed tax are looked after but my idea would be any one who has been unemployed for three years or more get slashed drastically!!!! Sick of seeing bums who never worked a day in their lives swanning around having the time of Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Agree this cuts should affect people claiming for say 6 month's or more, not the ones that just got made unemployed.

Edited: sorry i used the wrong quote there. What are they doing about the long term unemployed?

And what about those, sick, disabled or carers, it's not their fault they can't work, must they be condemned to a live of penny counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

RTE aren't helping
    New dole applicants aged 20 and 21, who have no dependent children, will have their payment reduced to €100 per week.

Those aged between 22 and 24 will see a reduction to €150 per week.

For all other cases, the rate will be reduced to €150 per week

This certainly doesn't seem to be the case for JSB, it applies to JSA only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Joan Burton on how "Nama killed santa claus" for families and that with lowering the cost of drink and cars it's lads budget Jermry clarkson would like.

Alicat wrote: »
    FYP.
    Exactly, I'm glad we see eye to eye on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ashanti wrote: »
    excellent speech by Bruton. He made his points decisively and had a go at the govt for not going after those who brought this country to this state. Those bank executives who are still in their high paid positions despite what the banking sector has done. Not to mention the other policies or lack thereof, which brought a thriving economy to the one of the worst in the EU.

You honestly think BankExecs are getting 2007 levels... No chance. And if they got share options...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

frman wrote: »
    Would you like to explain that to my Granny ?

No problem. Put her on;)

But seriously. Older people tend to have less financial committments and more allowances (medical cards, free schemes ...). But they get off scott free, while every other SW recipient gets a cut. Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

Hi I'm on a three day week and am currently getting €102p/w jobseekers benefit will i be cut to €75 p/w? I'm 23 and have a mortgage to pay....

• Advertisement

Breaktown wrote: »
    Is it 4.1% or €8 though? (Not the same for me since JSA is means tested and I'm on a LOT less than the maximum amount). I've seen both written on different parts of the RTE and budget websites.

4.1%, works out at €8.xx for the top max rate.
    Tawny wrote: »
    Who is that talking now?

Joan Burton, the voice would drive you to madness.

Advertisement