Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

koriko wrote: »
    the media done credit Kerry-

aaaawwwww poor kerry :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

koriko wrote:
    just an pity the media dont credit Kerry-.

You should read more papers so, or watch your two pundits on RTE.
    Not that I mind, but Kerry get plenty of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Stoner wrote: »
    You should read more papers so, or watch your two pundits on RTE.
    Not that I mind, but Kerry get plenty of coverage.

I disagree completely. From where I stand dublin got most of the discussion today. I made no reference to the newspapers- this is the Sunday Game thread no? Kerry completely crushed Kildare today- had that been dublin god help us listening to them going on. Too late to argue- ur probably stoned anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

koriko wrote: »
    No- I'm pretty certain Kerry have a good chance of pulling it off this year. Exciting games ahead for sure :-) just an pity the media dont credit Kerry- instead all we hear is Dublin Dublin Dublin- give us a break.

Jaysus you'd be welcome to it pal. Media coverage and expectations have haunted Dublin for decades.

Thought you guys liked to be waiting in the long grass anhow :)

You should be playing the "arra sure Kildare didnt turn up and after all it took us 2 games to beat Cork" card.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

koriko wrote:
    I disagree completely. From where I stand dublin got most of the discussion today. I made no reference to the newspapers- this is the Sunday Game thread no? Kerry completely crushed Kildare today- had that been dublin god help us listening to them going on. Too late to argue- ur probably stoned anyway ;-)

It is the Sunday game thread , but you made a more general reference to the media, I quoted you on it.

Kerry were fantastic today. Have a good night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kerry and Dublin are ****e....

😯😮😧😓😰😭😭😭😭😭

I jest of course 😉

Now Kildare are gone I can relax and enjoy the football!!!!

Best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

STB. wrote: »
    Would you go on outta that!

Kerry havent beaten Dublin in an AI final in over 30 years.:pac:

Its not Kerrys fault Dublin couldnt get there in those thirty years.

Dublins finals in the last thirty years. 1985 to present

85, lost to kerry
    92 lost to donegal
    94 lost to down
    95 beat tyrone
    2011 beat kerry
    2013 beat mayo

Kerry
    85 beat dublin
    86 beat tyrone
    97 beat mayo
    00 beat galway
    02 lost to armagh
    04 beat mayo
    05 lost to tyrone
    06 beat mayo
    07 beat cork
    08 lost to tyrone
    09 beat cork
    11 lost to dublin
    14 beat donegal

Thats thirteen finals to six.

Of course you said thirty years, if you said 40 it includes the golden years. I know You overlooked this because we all know what kerry did to dublin in 75, 78, 79, 84 but dublin did win two finals in this period, 86 against kerry and galway in 83.

And while Dublin were struggling to get to finals, in fact struggling most years to even win leinster they did meet kerry along the way.

2004, after losing in leinster to westmeath, kerry hand out a seven point defeat.
    2007 first time since 1985 both are provincial winners when they meet. Two point win for Kerry
    2009. The startled earwigs game. 17 point win for Kerry.
    2011 a one point win for Dublin after trailing for 65 minutes.
    2013 semi final. Dublin get two late goals to add gloss to a seven point win. Still the greatest exhibition of pure football i ever watched live. Stunning game.

2015? Could meet in the final, i hope so.

So, i wouldnt be so quick to go running your mouth. Dublin have two all irelands from this current team. ( from 02 when gooch started) Kerry have five.

Dublin are hyped because they are Dublin. Kerry are hyped because they deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

^^
    ;)

blah blah blah.......

So, i wouldnt be so quick to go running your mouth. Dublin have two all irelands from this current team. ( from 02 when gooch started) Kerry have five.

Dublin are hyped because they are Dublin. Kerry are hyped because they deserve it.

It is not my fault you dont get sarcasm nor banter.

The stat that Kerry haven't beaten Dublin in an AI final in the last 30 years is of course true, but deliberately disingenuous in that they have only met once in a final in the last 30 years and on that one occasion Dublin beat them in 2011 with the famous Cluxton winner.

Had I been "running my mouth" I would have pointed out that in this decade this "deserving" Kerry panel have only won one AI, which must be some form of record.

Meanwhile the "overhyped" current Dublin panel have two AI's in the bag in the same last decade in addition to winning the last three NFL Division 1 titles.

Believe me Pal, we'll take the silverware everytime rather than the hype!

CluxtonStephen_2011Final.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Dublins finals in the last thirty years. 1985 to present

85, lost to kerry
    92 lost to donegal
    94 lost to down
    95 beat tyrone
    2011 beat kerry
    2013 beat mayo

Kerry
    85 beat dublin
    86 beat tyrone
    97 beat mayo
    00 beat galway
    02 lost to armagh
    04 beat mayo
    05 lost to tyrone
    06 beat mayo
    07 beat cork
    08 lost to tyrone
    09 beat cork
    11 lost to dublin
    14 beat donegal

Thats thirteen finals to six.

Of course you said thirty years, if you said 40 it includes the golden years. I know You overlooked this because we all know what kerry did to dublin in 75, 78, 79, 84 but dublin did win two finals in this period, 86 against kerry and galway in 83.

And while Dublin were struggling to get to finals, in fact struggling most years to even win leinster they did meet kerry along the way.

2004, after losing in leinster to westmeath, kerry hand out a seven point defeat.
    2007 first time since 1985 both are provincial winners when they meet. Two point win for Kerry
    2009. The startled earwigs game. 17 point win for Kerry.
    2011 a one point win for Dublin after trailing for 65 minutes.
    2013 semi final. Dublin get two late goals to add gloss to a seven point win. Still the greatest exhibition of pure football i ever watched live. Stunning game.

2015? Could meet in the final, i hope so.

Someone always takes it too far. Always ends in tears.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It is not my fault you dont get sarcasm nor banter.

The stat that Kerry haven't beaten Dublin in an AI final in the last 30 years is of course true, but deliberately disingenuous in that they have only met once in a final in the last 30 years and on that one occasion Dublin beat them in 2011 with the famous Cluxton winner.

Had I been "running my mouth" I would have pointed out that in this decade this "deserving" Kerry panel have only won one AI, which must be some form of record.

Meanwhile the "overhyped" current Dublin panel have two AI's in the bag in the same last decade in addition to winning the last three NFL Division 1 titles.

Believe me Pal, we'll take the silverware everytime rather than the hype!

CluxtonStephen_2011Final.jpg

Well, best of luck with it. Every fan will take whatever nonsense stat they can roll out to sound cool.

Its nice that Dublin are competitive again. We do enjoy the hype and beating them and if we lose, sure werent we expected to anyway. Fantastic.

You said two in the last decade, three in the last thirty doesnt sound as good, or five in the last forty even when dublin had their greatest ever historical team.

Kerry players have retired with more all irelands than Dublin won in the last forty years. Some of them in the last decade you seem happy to harp about.

Congratulations on the league wins. Division one and everything. Super.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

How many all ireland medals do you have Mr Incognito?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh dear. Someone clearly didn't get the memo that Kerry haven't beaten Dublin in the AI champo in 6 years. Rolling out the history since 188whatever is all fine & dandy, but what happened over the last 20, 30 or 40 years is entirely irrelevant. Last time I checked, none of Maurice Fitz, Daragh O'Se or Bomber Liston will be on the pitch in Croker a month from now.

Recent history is what matters, not what happened decades ago, when the current crop of players were all still wearing nappies. Crippling insecurity must be a terrible, terrible thing. Naturally, I wouldn't know !

How many all ireland medals do you have Mr Incognito?

The same number as Joe Brolly or the inhabitants of Hill 16 at any Dublin game.

What a pathetic question.

Well, best of luck with it. Every fan will take whatever nonsense stat they can roll out to sound cool.

Its nice that Dublin are competitive again. We do enjoying the hype and beating them.

You said two in the last decade, three in the last thirty doesnt sound as good, or five in the last forty even when dublin had their greatest ever historical team.

Kerry players have retired with more all irelands than Dublin won in the last forty years. Some of them in the last decade you seem happy to harp about.

True fans understand the banter too!

Its not as if Dublin's terrible record in AI's over 40 years is a big secret. Likewise when people look back, they look back at the decades. Kerry had a great run in the noughties, following a quiet barren spell in the 90s.

By those benchparks the current Kerry panel haven't been at that standard in the current decade which must be the source of some consternation in the County. On hype, we true fans hate it, the headlines after all are normally written by cute Kerrymen.

Final bit of statistical skullduggery, yis have lost more AI finals thans the Dubs :)

Thanks, we couldnt have done it without yis.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh dear. Someone clearly didn't get the memo that Kerry haven't beaten Dublin in the AI champo in 6 years. Rolling out the history & the stats is all fine & dandy, but what happened over the last 20, 30 or 40 years is entirely irrelevant, as last time I checked, none of Maurice Fitz, Daragh O'Se or Bomber Liston will be on the pitch a month from now.

Recent history is what matters, not what happened decades ago, when the current crop of players were all still wearing nappies. Crippling insecurity must be a terrible, terrible thing. Naturally, I wouldn't know !

I agree 100 %. Wait, who won the all ireland last year again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

The same number as Joe Brolly or the inhabitants of Hill 16 at any Dublin game.

What a pathetic question.

Wait. Joe Brolly? So 1 is it?

Crippling insecurity must be a terrible, terrible thing. Naturally, I wouldn't know !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96458991&postcount=3724

Oh i dont know about that. A proud dub wishing kildare well? Hoping they turn Kerry over for ye?

I wouldnt be wishing Cork well against Dublin. Prefer to go watch a meaningful match personally.

I agree 100 %. Wait, who won the all ireland last year again?

Call me crazy, but I'm going to take a wild guess here and say the county that LOST to Dublin in 2011 and 2013?

Call me crazy, but I'm going to take a wild guess here and say the county that LOST to Dublin in 2011 and 2013?

On the money. Hopefully both teams can make the final this year. We missed ye last year. Every sport needs a good rivalry.

• Advertisement

On the money. Hopefully both teams can make the final this year. We missed ye last year. Every sport needs a good rivalry.

We'll do our best to hold up our end of the deal. Don't do anything silly like getting knocked out.

314471.jpg

gaa1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

why did i follow this thread :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

MD1990 wrote: »
    im more comparing it to GAA of the past. Attendances are dropping & most likely viewing figures. Its just very boring now.

Attendances aren't dropping though.

The all ireland semi finals in the 1980's in both codes had pitiful attendances.The attendances these days are actually quite good which is more frustrating as it clearly indicates their is an appetite for fans to go to more matches at this time of the year but yet the majority of matches in intercounty GAA are played before the middle of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dessie Dolan is from Westmeath. Shane Curran is from Roscommon.

The only one that spoke sense was Whelan. It is the County Boards responsibility to put structures in place.

The bizzare Sunday game performance by Curran is below (including the video and tweets from County Players castigating Curran).

Quite shocked that Dolan let the peasant remark go.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/shane-currans-bizarre-sunday-game-rant-about-the-gaa-and-fianna-fail-baffled-all-of-ireland/34429

It is the individual county boards responsibility but it's extremely difficult for them to compete with counties who have lots more supporters and can attract a lot more sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

It is the individual county boards responsibility but it's extremely difficult for them to compete with counties who have lots more supporters and can attract a lot more sponsorship.
    Agree with you on that. Currans view was more to level the resources playing field in a fair way. Its lazy analysis to say only each county board can improve their structures. With GAA being more athletes based every year population is the biggest factor in having a fit squad. There aren't enough athletes even in Tyrone to allow them win at the top level anymore ie beat the top four. Its becoming boring for supporters.
    - Reduce the physical aspect of the sport (no barging/steps/tackle must be like basketball ... already in rule book)
    - reduce games to 60 mins to increase value of a goal by having lower scorelines and less time for big teams to mount come back
    - reduce to 13 a side, now a small county only need 3 forwards
    - bring in the rule about all kickouts past 45 two midfielders compete in that zone and kick all kickouts from 21
    Under those rules Fermanagh get much closer to Dublin yesterday. Under those rules big athletes are changed for small skillful players and we get more upsets and better matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So I sat down to look forward to a good football only Sunday Game.

Then I saw Curran and my evening was ruined.

So I sat down to look forward to a good football only Sunday Game.

Then I saw Curran and my evening was ruined.

Well I hope you're not a Catholic priest, or a member of Fianna Fail, or you needn't have even bothered getting out of bed in the morning. :rolleyes:

I'm all for TSG mixing up their panelists. Having the same ones over and over is just boring, but they need to pull the plug on Curran. He's just embarrassing himself now. I've heard him on the radio a lot and he is actually quite good when he has time to articulate his thoughts clearly. He's just not cut out for 30 second soundbites on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Agree with you on that. Currans view was more to level the resources playing field in a fair way. Its lazy analysis to say only each county board can improve their structures. With GAA being more athletes based every year population is the biggest factor in having a fit squad. There aren't enough athletes even in Tyrone to allow them win at the top level anymore ie beat the top four. Its becoming boring for supporters.
    - Reduce the physical aspect of the sport (no barging/steps/tackle must be like basketball ... already in rule book)
    - reduce games to 60 mins to increase value of a goal by having lower scorelines and less time for big teams to mount come back
    - reduce to 13 a side, now a small county only need 3 forwards
    - bring in the rule about all kickouts past 45 two midfielders compete in that zone and kick all kickouts from 21
    Under those rules Fermanagh get much closer to Dublin yesterday. Under those rules big athletes are changed for small skillful players and we get more upsets and better matches.
    If they just enforced the four steps rule, I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

corny wrote: »
    This assumed logic that 'being tested' is a requisite for success always irritates me.

nonsense, its been shown time and time again that when two teams of equal ability meet at the business end of the year, the team who has had a tougher challenges up to that point, comes through. look at Tyrone V Kerry in 05 and 08 for example - it was widely acknowledged that the hard route that Tyrone took to both finals, is what stood to them in the last 10 minutes of both games, where as Kerry especially in 2005, waltzed to the final and could not match intensity levels in the closing minutes.

Dublin last year V Donegal being the latest example and its happened to Dublin many years - waltzed through to the latter stages of the championship and then when push came to shove at the end of the year, they were found wanting when it came to the dirty ball in the last 10 minutes.

there are of course many exceptions, like there is in everything in sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement