Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview PVR Box has arrived.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

What Panny PVR do you have?

DMR-HW220 (2012 model)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Was having same problem on my Humax T2 over last few nights with series link not working on RTE1. Checked guide and found it was showing as unnamed channel on 800. did a auto search retune and found channel 819 was now listing as RTE1 HD and 800 showed as unnamed channel and a footnote saying retune needed. I set up series link on RTE1 HD and it worked tonight so I hope the problem is solved

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tried to set up some programmes to record over the coming days this morning on the Walker PVR.

It gives me the option to record a single programme or the whole series. When I select to record the series the screen exits without setting the timer/series link for the programme. Had to select the record programme option.

Did a rescan on the box but problem remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rock Hopper

I have exactly the same problem, series link doesn't work but I can record individual programs. It's been this way for about a week. This is on the official PVR.

Some older series recordings did continued to work.

I've just noticed the programmes I tried to series link this morning are saved to the timer but with no start time or date and the message "Not yet scheduled" eventhough they are in the epg.

Since RTÉNL/2RN moved away from Donnybrook we've seen too many ****-ups with this, did they leave all the good people behind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

The Cush wrote: »
    I've just noticed the programmes I tried to series link this morning are saved to the timer but with no start time or date and the message "Not yet scheduled" eventhough they are in the epg.

After this post last night I checked my recordings.

I have both Love/Hate and Homeland on series link at the moment.
    Next weeks Love/Hate is showing on the timer with the 'Not yet scheduled' message, however, next weeks Homeland is set to record as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Tempted to invest in one of these Walker Saorview PVR's, but are you guys still having problems with series link ?

Tried to set up some programmes to record over the coming days this morning on the Walker PVR.

It gives me the option to record a single programme or the whole series. When I select to record the series the screen exits without setting the timer/series link for the programme. Had to select the record programme option.

Did a rescan on the box but problem remains.

I am tempted to buy one of these Walker Pvrs, but not if series link is still not working properly. What's the latest re these series link problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

It's working fine for me at the moment. To be honest, most of the shows I would usually have on series link are off air at the moment though so hard to tell 100%.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Tempted to invest in one of these Walker Saorview PVR's, but are you guys still having problems with series link ?

Yes, worked Ok over the Christmas/New Year period but on Monday I went to set the series link for Vikings on RTÉ2 this Sunday, same as before the epg series link option was available but when selected it saved the programme to timer with a "not yet scheduled" message. Went back a few hours later and it saved OK but 2 timers scheduled for Mon evening did not start as scheduled even though they were highlighted in the epg and correctly scheduled in the timer. Had to do a first time installation and redo all the timers.

Since that evening timers scheduled for Tue and Wed have recorded successfully.

When it works, it works reasonably well except there's no buffer/padding option for regular early programme starts and late endings. Most programmes appear to start a min or two before the epg scheduled start time.

• Advertisement

Yes, worked Ok over the Christmas/New Year period but on Monday I went to set the series link for Vikings on RTÉ2 this Sunday, same as before the epg series link option was available but when selected it saved the programme to timer with a "not yet scheduled" message. Went back a few hours later and it saved OK but 2 timers scheduled for Mon evening did not start as scheduled even though they were highlighted in the epg and correctly scheduled in the timer. Had to do a first time installation and redo all the timers.

Since that evening timers scheduled for Tue and Wed have recorded successfully.

When it works, it works reasonably well except there's no buffer/padding option for regular early programme starts and late endings. Most programmes appear to start a min or two before the epg scheduled start time.

Thanks for the update. Not very reliable or inspiring, by the sounds of it. I want to be able to set up the soaps for my good wife, sports etc for myself, series link them and then forget about it, knowing that the box is doing what I asked it to do, aka Sky+, but this box sounds totally unreliable. Is it a box fault, or something to do with RTE and their method of sending series link information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Well naturally the box is totally reliant on Saorview/RTE sending the correct info out. If you read in this thread you can see they have no way of adjusting the guide to account for shows running late, so any shows not appearing at the correct time will not record correctly. The BBC can change it's guide on the fly.

Also recently Saorview has moved/added channels so that seems to be having some effect on reliability with full resets required.

On a side not I used a Samsung Saorview TV recently (no sure exact model; but I could find out) and when a USB hard drive was added it could record. It also had the option to start recordings before the displayed start time (say 10 minutes) to allow for shows starting early and running late.

The downside is that it only has a single tuner. I am not sure the exact drawbacks in terms of watching one show and recording another, but presumably it cannot record 2 shows at the same time and you may be forced to watch the same show you were recording. It did not have series link either, but if you have such a TV at least there is a higher chance you would get the whole show recorded. It seemed quite easy to use and the interface was slightly better than the Walker PVR.

It also shows that this feature is a fairly basic option and the Walker unit should have it. I know Walker read this thread in the past so possibly they will get the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Vestel needs to change it. A high proportion of cheaper UK and other European brands are also badges on Vestel Kit. SW & HW R&D is in UK & USA (I forget which is which) and HQ + Manufacturing in Turkey.

Walker is only an Irish Marketing company, ex Mitsubishi Ireland Distribution. In the later "Black Diamond" CRT days the sets were Vestel.

However a big problem seems to be the info RTE is feeding.

Just an update on my last post, after doing a first time reinstall early last week 2 timers I setup at that time failed to start recording last night, Vikings on RTÉ2 and Mean Streets on RTÉ1.

Luckily I was there and watching Vikings so during a break I went in and deleted both failed timers and reset both via the epg, Mean Streets on RTÉ1+1 and the remainder of Vikings on RTÉ2. Vikings started recording instantly and Mean Street on +1 started at the scheduled time.

I see the Saorview+ ads are back again on TV and radio, I don't whether to laugh or cry :(

Looking forward to huggs2 report on the Humax HDR-2000T when he sets it up - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88624149#post88624149

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hmm. My Walker PVR has crapped itself twice since new year, going to the first time installation / tuning screen when turned on.
    Didn't lose any existing recordings though.
    Had a couple of failures of series link timers before Christmas, don't trust it any more.

A really bad feature is that all recordings go into the same folder and it doesn't seem to be possible to create folders, this leads to a real mess. I want to put all the kids' shows/films in one place, for instance.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Any other soarview pvrs or pvrs that can be used with soarview?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

I have two Humax sat boxes and a Humax Saorview compatible DTT box and they all work very well

There is only one approved by Saorview at the moment. There is some issues with non approved boxes. There are also issues with the approved box.

All boxes rely in Saorview/RTE sending the correct info. RTE have said they cannot extend the show times in the Electronic Guide when shows run late (unlike BBC) meaning live shows and shows appearing after a live show, will possibly not record the start/end due to the times slipping, without the guide being updated.

It seems less reliable than say Sky's series link.

haymur wrote: »
    I have two Humax sat boxes and a Humax Saorview compatible DTT box and they all work very well

Which Humax DTT receiver do you use?
    How does it handle the display, recording and playback of subtitles? An important issue in my household.
    Is there a padding/buffer option if a recording was to start early or finish late?
    Any problems with series link?

huggs2 is in the process of purchasing a Humax HDT-2000T DTT receiver, he is due to report back in due course on how it performs with Saorview - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88624149.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

zg3409 wrote: »
    There is only one approved by Saorview at the moment. There is some issues with non approved boxes. There are also issues with the approved box.....

All boxes rely in Saorview/RTE sending the correct info.
    Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I notice on some of the saorview series links,particularly on TV3 (e.g.Vincent Browne or their Breakfast show) if you check the series link info on say, a Monday it shows all the others episodes that week as repeats. The pvr then does not record the repeats. I'm using a Panasonic unapproved PVR but I suspect it may be the same case with the approved one. Seems a pity they cannot co-ordinate the technology with more accurate data uploads. I also suspect because almost nobody has saorview PVRs nobody in charge notices or really cares.

• Advertisement

I also suspect because almost nobody has saorview PVRs nobody in charge notices or really cares.

I suspect you're correct, but they did go to the trouble of making this ad - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87458979

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

I suspect you're correct, but they did go to the trouble of making this ad - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87458979

Indeed. All the more frustrating!

There was a report of vincent browne problems before (possibly on this thread) and I contacted TV3 and RTENL 2RN and they said everything was OK. It wasn't exactly the same problem.

I might get a chance to test it, but in the mean time I would ask all those with series link to test it, and if you have Sky to also test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

any update on the series link issue on the WP6500TTR?

Is it still any issue, is this box still unreliable or were the problems more network related?

Is it still any issue, is this box still unreliable or were the problems more network related?

problems remain, replaced mine with a Panasonic PVR/Blu-ray player recently. Much more user friendly and no series link issues with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

problems remain, replaced mine with a Panasonic PVR/Blu-ray player recently. Much more user friendly and no series link issues with it so far.

cush, what model pana did you buy?

Tks

kooga wrote: »
    cush, what model pana did you buy?

DMR-PWT635

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Thanks Cush. That would align with the guys on another thread that said they were having no issues with series link on a humax box.

So it seems it's not a network or RTE issue but just the walker box.... Pity as what I really need is a reliable box that can record one Irish channel while watching another.. The search goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Thanks Cush. That would align with the guys on another thread that said they were having no issues with series link on a humax box.

So it seems it's not a network or RTE issue but just the walker box.... Pity as what I really need is a reliable box that can record one Irish channel while watching another.. The search goes on!

And the only Saorview+ Approved box is the Walker WP6500TTR - Only in Ireland :)

• Advertisement

And the only Saorview+ Approved box is the Walker WP6500TTR - Only in Ireland :)

The result of the hybrid DTT standard Saorview uses unfortunately (Nordig + MHEG5), a standard not used elsewhere. A legacy of the failed commercial DTT project from 2008 when the Nordic/Swedish DTT STB specification was the standard to be used by the Swedish/Irish consortium Boxer who won the commercial DTT contract back in Jul 2008 but withdrew less than a year later leaving RTÉ to manage the spec for Saorview.

I've had the Walker since it was launched last year and basically found it to be a pile of ****e overall, recently replaced it with a Panasonic freeview+ spec box (reliable so far).

In hindsight Saorview is using the wrong standard, we should be using the D-Book UK Freeview standard. There is a broad range of Freeview PVRs on the market unlike the situation here with only a single approved PVR available from a company that is basically a TV/STB importer/distributor.

Advertisement