Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview PVR Box has arrived.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ninja900 wrote: »
    One slight 'gotcha' with the box is that in low power standby it won't pass the UHF signal through the antenna out socket. That just meant I had to feed it from the Sky box instead of vice versa, as the Sky box is also feeding UHF (and a satellite channel) to another Saorview TV. If I had a Saorview TV as my main TV this would be pretty annoying as it would mean I couldn't watch TV unless the Walker box is turned on.

Yes, noticed that a few weeks ago, initially thought I had a masthead amp/power supply problem until I found the low power setting in the menu.

Two other annoyances I've noticed with the receiver
    - No recording buffer setting to allow for an early start or late finish
    - when setting up a recording in the epg no quick link from there to the timer menu to check what timers have been set, instead you have to exit->menu->timers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

One slight 'gotcha' with the box is that in low power standby it won't pass the UHF signal through the antenna out socket. That just meant I had to feed it from the Sky box instead of vice versa,

Low power can be disabled. It's under menu -configuration -low power/autostandby

From manual
    The Automatic power-down can be set as disabled, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours or 8 hours from the configuration menu
    If you enable low power option, low power mode will be activated. In low power mode, the power consumption is less than 1W in standby mode however the switch on time will be shorter.

NOTE: when Low Power mode is ‘No’ the unit displays the current time during standby.

NOTE: The unit will take some time to enter low power mode after entering standby. Low power mode is indicated by a RED light on the front of the unit.

NOTE: The unit will exit Low Power mode regularly to check for broadcast updates. This is a normal function of the product. The light on the front of the unit will change to Green temporarily during this process.”
    It says the time will be displayed if low power is set to on. I have not tested that.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Picture on RTE Player is letterboxed (at least on Scart, haven't tested HDMI) but not as badly as on some smart TVs which have RTE Player. Hopefully this is something that will soon be sorted out, they're clearly still working on this and it's not the finished article.

Same issue on HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Whathefeck

Got this box a few weeks ago and it seems to have an issue with time shifting. I press pause and then later when I press play everything goes alright for a while in the playback until it suddenly stops and goes back to live TV on its own.

Anyone else having this issue or does anyone have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Will this work on Saorview
    Bush Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder - 320GB (B320HDPVR)
    On Ebay for €95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Will this work on Saorview
    Bush Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder - 320GB (B320HDPVR)
    On Ebay for €95

Yes. Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Not sold in Argos Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Not sold in Argos Ireland

i know thats why i did the uk link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

There seems to be a lot of reconditioned models of this on sites in the UK. There must have been a problem with some of them to have so many refurbished ones for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 30 baaah

I bought the Walker WP6500TTR and noticed that there is a network connection socket at the back. I plugged in a RJ45 cable from my modem and the menu shows eevrything ok. By that I mean stuff like Ip adress (192.1681.4), mac address, link good etc.

My question really is what , if anything, can this be used for? No useful info. in the manual.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Press green, red, green to get the RTE iPlayer trial.
    Last time I checked it, the content hadn't been updated since December.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Is it possible to record Radio programmes on this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Whathefeck

The Walker WP6500TTR is still not working well for me. The timeshift problem remains. It switches itself off sometimes when I press rewind on live TV and also often jumps back to live tv during playback. Now the series link option doesnt appear when I press ok over a programme and instead I only get the option to record. This is my second box as I sent the first one back as it failed to read memory sticks/hdd drives plugged into the USB port.

Am I alone in experiencing these problems? I'd rather not return the box again and am hoping that these are problems which are universal rather then unique to my box. Would be extremely grateful for any feedback.
    Is it possible to record Radio programmes on this box?
    Yes. I have it set up to record the championship preview on rte radio 1 on Saturday. Its a nifty little feature that sky doesnt have.

I'm also having trouble with series link on the box recently. Records the first episode fine but then the second episode just shows in the timer section as 'Not yet scheduled' and it never records. Is this an issue with the box or the series link signal?

I'm also having trouble with series link on the box recently. Records the first episode fine but then the second episode just shows in the timer section as 'Not yet scheduled' and it never records. Is this an issue with the box or the series link signal?

Same here, failed to record Love/Hate last night even though series link was set and programme highlighted. Noticed it half way through and when I selected next weeks episode last nights episode started to record with about 20 mins remaining. My brother reports other problems with other series linked programmes.

Yeah Love/Hate is actually the exact show I noticed this on last night to prompt my post.

I had the "Looking After No 1" programme set to record this evening but it did not start recording and also attempted to instant record but also wouldn't do it. Not a good advert for Saorview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Cush wrote: »
    I had the "Looking After No 1" programme set to record this evening but it did not start recording and also attempted to instant record but also wouldn't do it. Not a good advert for Saorview
    If you have a look at the recordings of both you will be able to identify the problem with DVB Analyser software. At which stage you will be able to tell RTE the problem. No dout it is something as simple as series CRID not being the same.

• Advertisement

Since my last post I decided to do a full factory install and following that I can now do an instant record. I've set the timer for that programme again on RTÉ1 +1, so we'll see how that goes.

STB wrote: »
    If you have a look at the recordings of both you will be able to identify the problem with DVB Analyser software. At which stage you will be able to tell RTE the problem. No dout it is something as simple as series CRID not being the same.

I attempted to contact RTENL and TV3 in the past due to series link being wrong for TV3 shows. In the end I gave up. I hope to use my Saorview PVR more in the coming months. Depending on how annoyed I get I might chase this up again. The problem is being fobbed off by RTENL vs RTE/TV3 saying it's not their fault, or an outside company that does it for them. I used to have better contacts inside RTE but now RTENL/2RN have totally moved from Donnybrook it's harder to get to someone who knows/cares.

I might bring my receiver and a rabbits ears to 2RN and show them, as they don't seem to be able to get it sorted. Now if it was on Sky.....

The Cush wrote: »
    Since my last post I decided to do a full factory install and following that I can now do an instant record. I've set the timer for that programme again on RTÉ1 +1, so we'll see how that goes.

Recording started ok and on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

RTÉ1 HD is in effect a new channel with a different channel ID. Presumably series linking would not know to record from a new channel. It would be like expecting it to record the series from RTÉ and BBC

RTÉ1 HD is in effect a new channel with a different channel ID. Presumably series linking would not know to record from a new channel. It would be like expecting it to record the series from RTÉ and BBC

New timers were setup after rescanning earlier today, all old timers were deleted. Maybe the full factory reset sorted the problem, we'll see in the coming days.

I've done a factory reset and I only now have the option to 'Record Programme' on any show I choose and not 'Record Series'. Example shows are Homeland 9pm RTÉ 2 tonight, MNS 7pm RTÉ 2 Monday, Downton Abbey TV3 9pm Wednesday and Love/Hate 9.30pm RTÉ 1 Sunday. Could someone else confirm they are not getting series link (Record Series) options on these shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kevinwexford

I've done a factory reset and I only now have the option to 'Record Programme' on any show I choose and not 'Record Series'. Example shows are Homeland 9pm RTÉ 2 tonight, MNS 7pm RTÉ 2 Monday, Downton Abbey TV3 9pm Wednesday and Love/Hate 9.30pm RTÉ 1 Sunday. Could someone else confirm they are not getting series link (Record Series) options on these shows?

I'm having a lot of issues with series link on my Walker wp6500ttr since I got it about 6 weeks ago. It might work fine for a few days and then it stops recording and in the timer menu "not yet scheduled appears". It is so unreliable that I have to check the timers a few times a week to make sure that the recordings will work which defeats the point of series linking - I might as well just set the timers manually. (I hate to say it but I reckon I took sky's series linking for granted previously which always worked perfectly for me)

Since the rescan yesterday, it appeared at first glance to give me the option of selecting a series link recording but when I check the timers are not set - all I get is the not scheduled message despite the fact that the programme is clearly listed on the EPG so I have revert back to recording the programme only and not by series link timers. See attached.

Finally another issue I have with the walker recorder is the fact that there is no option for early start and or late finish allowance for programme recordings - I have had the start of many programmes missed. Although I have improved this somewhat by disabling the low power option in the settings menu as it starts recording quicker then but it still misses the start of some programmes especially when delayed.

At least I now know that im not the only person experiencing issues with this. If only this box would perform like my humax hdr-1000s does for free sat recordings which I have had no issues with since I bought it a few months ago.

I'm having a lot of issues with series link on my Walker wp6500ttr since I got it about 6 weeks ago. ItFinally another issue I have with the walker recorder is the fact that there is no option for early start and or late finish allowance for programme recordings - I have had the start of many programmes missed. Although I have improved this somewhat by disabling the low power option in the settings menu as it starts recording quicker then but it still misses the start of some programmes especially when delayed.

At least I now know that im not the only person experiencing issues with this. If only this box would perform like my humax hdr-1000s does for free sat recordings which I have had no issues with since I bought it a few months ago.

Series link might be dodgy for the next while due to the whole changeover and temporary channels etc. It might settle down in a few weeks when the temporary channels are gone.
    It might be best to do a factory reset again in a few weeks and try again.

The early start issue is a known problem. Vestel, the makers, are aware of the issue, but have not done anything to add this feature like available on other units. Another reason it happens so often is it uses the EPG times, and if a program runs late, RTE does not have the ability to signal that to the recorders. The BBC have a system where if a show runs late they can adjust the guide/recordings so the recording works Ok. RTE would need to invest in a system for this, which they have not done. Thus similar models on sale in the UK notice this issue less.

The only work around is to set manual timers a while before and after the show. This is particularly important if there is something before hand that often runs late like a football match, budget night etc

Another solution is to just try record a repeat show later the next day, or watch it on the RTE player (not all shows are on the player)

It's not as slick as Sky. Sky do miss the odd series link, such as sometimes when there is a double episode at the start of a series, or repeat series on low cost channels, where sometimes only 3 or 4 episodes are recorded, as the entire series may not be linked or even shown in the correct order. I set my Sky box to start recording 10 minutes early, as the automatic mode sometimes misses the start or end. When I start playing the recoding I normally jump to 11 minutes and see if I need to rewind or not. I also have a Saorview PVR. I don't think Sky boxes automatically delay start for RTE channels as they do not have the info either, however their series link seems far better than RTE/TV3 on Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Working ok for Rte1/2 after a rescan on my Panasonic PVR. Love Hate is ok. Doesn't seem to be any series options now on Tv3/Tg4 though, there were previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Working ok for Rte1/2 after a rescan on my Panasonic PVR. Love Hate is ok. Doesn't seem to be any series options now on Tv3/Tg4 though, there were previously.

What Panny PVR do you have?

Advertisement