Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds/Apps 2012

Options
  • 31-08-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Just bumping this thread from last year for those interested in keeping an eye on application dates, sharing general background info and updating with success(less) stories about group/phone/regular interviews etc.

Happy hunting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

blg5958.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭GusherING

When do people need to submit CVs and applications for the law firm milk rounds? The first post in that the 2011 thread says the closing date had come and gone in November 2011. Is it too late to apply now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

GusherING wrote: »
    When do people need to submit CVs and applications for the law firm milk rounds? The first post in that the 2011 thread says the closing date had come and gone in November 2011. Is it too late to apply now?

Check the law firms websites under the "careers" sections. They all have different dates. I doubt any of them are closed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

They usually open today (1st September) for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheGreaterFool

Yep. William Fry and MOP opened their applications on Monday and the other three of the "big five" open next week, I think.

Anyone apply to LK Shields or Philip Lee for the paralegal jobs there in the last few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Yep. William Fry and MOP opened their applications on Monday and the other three of the "big five" open next week, I think.

Anyone apply to LK Shields or Philip Lee for the paralegal jobs there in the last few weeks?

Was Phillip Lee the 1,000 words on Constitutional reform on the Law Soc website?
    Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

I was in this position last year, the year before that and the year before that. I finally got an apprenticeship after more interviews, more PFOs than I can remember. Key things are relevant experience and selling that to get an interview. After that I found positivity, a deep understanding of the firm(know what they do and what they do best) and throwing USPs at them, worked for me. I used to go into interviews 'having a chat', being my modest self. That's all good but self deprecating doesn't work. Be your self but your best self. Give them no reason not to give you the job.
    Best of luck, if you really want this, you'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Heard from Arthur Cox today,does anyone know how the group interviews operate?What kind of questions can you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Applied for Maples, MHC, WF, MOP (Matheson now) Byrne Wallace, McCannFitz and will be asking about traineeships in local firms and the firm I did an internship with over the summer. Waiting game is pretty horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 2 waterbottles on my desk

Hello -

this is my first year on the traineeships hunt. So far I had been doing a lot of speculative applications - which has generally resulted in either no response or a PFO although I have to say some of the PFO's have been very nicely written and have included advice.

I have all 8 FE1's (studied for them at night) work full time in an insurance broker (claims handling) and am applying every where I can think of.

Some of the feedback I have received is that I need to get direct legal experince on my CV which is hard with work. Does anyone know where I could maybe do some volunteer work on weekends or late evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Hello -

this is my first year on the traineeships hunt. So far I had been doing a lot of speculative applications - which has generally resulted in either no response or a PFO although I have to say some of the PFO's have been very nicely written and have included advice.

I have all 8 FE1's (studied for them at night) work full time in an insurance broker (claims handling) and am applying every where I can think of.

Some of the feedback I have received is that I need to get direct legal experince on my CV which is hard with work. Does anyone know where I could maybe do some volunteer work on weekends or late evenings?

FLAC, although their assistant positions are always quite full. If you are outside Dublin or available to go to an area where they have none you might have a chance

Hello Sala,

I did apply with FLAC to do some volunteering about two months ago but was told that they are only open Monday to Friday and office hours of 10 - 5.

Which given I have a full time job makes things difficult - but thanks for the reply anyway - if anyone else has some suggestions I would really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

That's not true! I don't mean to say you are wrong but there appears to be miscommunication somewhere. Head office on Dorset Street is probably 10-5, but all the advice centres in Dublin and elsewhere are 7/7.30-9/9.30 on a weeknight. Qualified Solicitors / Barristers do the consultations, you can sit in with them, take the notes, get leaflets, contribute where possible, and generally support them. I'm no saying this as in I heard about it - I do it myself and started when like you I was working and couldn't get any experience in office hours. As I said, I think they need qualifieds more than assistants but depending on where you are / can travel to there may be a place.

Hello Sala,

Thanks for the heads up - I will enquire again and see where I get. I did think it was strange that FLAC wouldn't be available outside traditional office hours. Maybe I just asked the wrong questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I havnt heard from Arthur Cox yet.

To those who have applied, have ye all heard back?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Filfot

Yea Hogzy, Everyone I have been talking to has received an invite to the group interview. Heard like 15 from final year in UCC and UL got invited too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ClearlyClear

Filfot wrote: »
    Yea Hogzy, Everyone I have been talking to has received an invite to the group interview. Heard like 15 from final year in UCC and UL got invited too.
    Only 3 got interviews in ul that I know of all the rest received the standard pfo . Seems preference for dublin colleges again ..on the bright side still 6 more pfos before its all over

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

anyone going thurs 11.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey guys got an interview with lk shields this week, anyone been to one of their interviews and can give me some pointers on what questions they are likely to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Congrats on getting an interview with them. When did they contact you about it? Was it by email?

As for tips: know your CV backwards, be able to answer questions on why you want to work in LK Shields, why you want to be a lawyer, the latest news concerning the firm. If you have studied company law, you should have a look over your notes to refresh your memory. I have never been interviewed by them but an acquaintance of mine was. They were asked what a bond is.

Best of luck:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

I have never had an interview with them so can't give any tips I'm afraid. Is this for a trainee contract?

Anyone hear back from MOPS, A&L, McCanns, Byrne Wallace or Maples yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Filfot wrote: »
    Anyone hear back from MOPS, A&L, McCanns, Byrne Wallace or Maples yet?

I havnt heard from anyone, I dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing though. As long as I havnt received any PFO's my name is still in the hat i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Law8890

Anyone got any tips for LK Shields first round interview?

Law8890 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for LK Shields first round interview?

Hey well done on getting an interview with LKS OP. I posted some general interview tips a few posts ago on this thread, which may or may not be useful. Do you mind me asking you when you heard from LKS re the interviews and whether you got an email or not? I have heard nothing, so assuming that it is a pfo at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Law8890

I heard from them last Friday week via email.

Law8890 wrote: »
    I heard from them last Friday week via email.

:-) 1 last question- did you apply for 2013 or 2014?

I think they'll probably just tell everyone who got the interview at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bouchez

Did anybody have their AC group interview today? How did it go?

Are AC + LK Shields still the only firms to have got back to people?

• Advertisement

bouchez wrote: »
    Did anybody have their AC group interview today? How did it go?

Are AC + LK Shields still the only firms to have got back to people?

I only heard from AC thus far. I haven't heard from LK Shields yet or any of the other firms. Did u apply to LK Shields?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement