Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Irish would make a Lions Team/Squad right now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Healy should be in the squad, his scrummaging is getting better all the time and we know about his loose play.

Based on the 6Ns Best would probably be in pole position for the starting hooker shirt, rightly or wrongly he will come under a bit of pressure from Strauss for the Ireland shirt next season but my guess is that that will drive him on even further and improve him.

Ross is important to Ireland but I don't see him being important to the Lions, I don't think he'll make the touring squad.

Afull season of test rugby and you just never know about Ryan, he did very well in the last two 6Ns games but right now I think he'd struggle to make the squad.

If the body is willing then O'Connell is on the plane and on the team.

See above for Ferris, although there are some good B/S's around not least Lydiate.

O'Brien should make the plane but I don't see him starting as Gatland will surely pick Warburton and then of course there is Tupiric who we will see a bit more of next season. Even Ross Rennie is a contender.

Heaslip should make the plane but I really like the look of Morgan and I expect he could be in pole position for the No.8 shirt in 12 months time.

Reddan might have a chance of making the plane but that's based more on his Leinster form than his Ireland form. Right now as things stand I'm just amazed anyone thinks Murray is a genuine Lions contender!

Sexton is a cert for the plane and has a real chance of starting, however we know his HEC form isn't always translated into the test arena but it's questionable whether that's his fault or Kidney's.

D'Arcy won't be on the plane unless there are injuries, he may not even be in the Ireland team in 12 months.

If the body is willing then BOD is nailed on in the squad and while for the first time he will have competition for the 13 jersey I personally would be very surprised if he wasn't a key member of the team.

I'll do the wings as a collective, I don't see Trimble making it, Earls might make it but it depends on where he's playing next season, will he be a wing, centre or full back? He might make the plane as a utility back, think Austin Healey in 2001(apologies for that comparison Keith!) If Fitzgerald got fit and hit top form then I think he would make the squad but I don't think he would make the test team. Bowe wasn't in great form this season but still scored a lot of tries for Ireland, we'll see how goes after returning from injury but I think he'll be in the squad, whether he make the team will depend on how he goes in the warm up games.

Kearney is a cert for the squad and should be a cert for the team but with a Welsh coach I suppose there is always the concern that 1/2penny might be given the benefit of the doubt but for me it's not even a debate.

Unfortunately I don't see any bolters for the simple reason that the young guys won't get a chance with Ireland so they won't make the Lions squad. Shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Podge_irl wrote: »
    1. He will, not least because Gatland is in charge

2. Who is better? There is an appalling lack of good scrum halves in Europe at the moment.

All of the options have obvious problems, be that Youngs, Care, Reddan or Phillips. I have no idea what has happened to Blair.

I don't think Phillips is even the best Welsh scrum-half.

And I know there's a severe lack of options but I'd prefer any of the others to Phillips. We've got a year for one person to really stand-up and stake a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't think Phillips is even the best Welsh scrum-half.

And I know there's a severe lack of options but I'd prefer any of the others to Phillips. We've got a year for one person to really stand-up and stake a claim.

There were times in the 6Ns when Phillips was outstanding and yet there were times when you could see that he was holding back the Welsh backs.

I think if Care ever got his act together he'd be the best in Europe and therefore the Lions 9, but he has a long road to travel in the next 12 months for that to happen. I remember thinking about three or four years ago that England a potentially world class half back pairing in Care and Cipriani and look what's happened!

As for young scrum halves I remember thinking the English U20 9 this year was a very good player, he's the guy Henderson smacked in the bake for being an annoying little s***. Good player though, next years Lions will be too early for him but look out for him, I think his name is Robson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Phillips makes the odd break in a game and infairness he scores some decent tries

But his service at the base is just as bad as Murrays IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

You could also add Laidlaw to the SH options. Would have the added benefit of being able to cover OH in an injury crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Phillips makes the odd break in a game and infairness he scores some decent tries

But his service at the base is just as bad as Murrays IMO.

His service isn't the best but the other parts of his game are so good it makes up for it.

Healy
    Best
    Jones
    Grey
    POC
    Ferris/SOB
    Warburton
    Heaslip
    Phillips (would prefer Youngs)
    Sexton
    Cuthbert
    Beck
    Davies
    North
    Kearney

(Wales dominated - England decimated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

His service isn't the best but the other parts of his game are so good it makes up for it.

I think he fits a certain type of team though, and I can see the Lions backline having too much class to be compromised by slow service

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think he fits a certain type of team though, and I can see the Lions backline having too much class to be compromised by slow service

I can only see Youngs displacing him, neither Reddan or Murray are as good as Phillips.

Blair will be playing in ProD2 this season which will probably affect his international chances, I never thought he was that great anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Hard to see many Irish making the trip down under next year after today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Actually its very easy to see alot/the normal ammount of Irish heading down south next year considering this was a 1 off terrible preformance.
    This preformance was just a series of things not working/being done wrongly.
    The star players have the skill and ability so they would still make a Lions team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Well I doubt it damages Heaslip's, Ferris', Bowe's and POC's credentials, while SOB and Healy played awesomely in the first 2 test so this tour is a positive for their credentials. Kearney is the best attacking and fielding FB in the NH but the defensive doubts remain. I still think he's the best option. The only player who I would say is seriously damaged is BOD. For Sexton, there really is little quality elsewhere so today's poor performance will be a very distant memory next year. Best is immense. My only worry is that Gatland could have an anti-Irish bias after being fired. A sleeper pick could be D'Arcy. I like what I've been seeing lately, and I think Gatland liked D'Arcy from the beginning. The Lions team will be decided on next season, not this tour. If we're going by this tour, the team should be made up mostly of English/Scottish players, even though I would just have 2 English/Scottish players in my team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Kearney played himself out of the reckoning to be honest. Australia aren't going to kick the ball much but will run at him instead. He struggled when the Kiwi's ran at him on this tour.

The rest of the Irish backs on this tour will have put negative marks against them I think. We didn't really pose an attacking threat (2 tries from three games and neither of them from a backs move).

I think Healy has done himself alot of credit on this tour. You could see the Kiwi's had marked him out as a player to watch today and the scrum went well too.

Heaslip, SOB, and Best will have enhanced their bids and Ryan will have put himself strongly in the mix too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I think a lot of English will have moved well up the pecking order after today's draw in South Africa. Love them or hate them, they're always the most reliable of the home nations when it comes to going into the lion's den in the southern hemisphere.

Looking at the depth of the Home Nations, the Lions look strong at prop, second row, backrow and in the back three.

However hooker is a concern along with flyhalf. Scrumhalf and centre are a 'wait and see' area atm.

My hopes for next season are Scotland start putting some decent players forward other than Richie Gray, players like Matt Scott, Visser and Hogg and that one of England's scrumhalves are in form come the tour (either Youngs or Care, Dickson is only club standard).

Since the Grand Slam, Ireland have been woefully inconsistent and that is going to cost a lot of players. Then again, we can't complain too much, we dominated the last touring party (7 Irish starters in 2nd test: O'Connell, Wallace, Heaslip, BOD, Fitzgerald, Bowe, Kearney).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think Kearney played himself out of the reckoning to be honest. Australia aren't going to kick the ball much but will run at him instead. He struggled when the Kiwi's ran at him on this tour.

The rest of the Irish backs on this tour will have put negative marks against them I think. We didn't really pose an attacking threat (2 tries from three games and neither of them from a backs move).

I think Healy has done himself alot of credit on this tour. You could see the Kiwi's had marked him out as a player to watch today and the scrum went well too.

Heaslip, SOB, and Best will have enhanced their bids and Ryan will have put himself strongly in the mix too.

I don't think these fixtures will have much of an impact, the 6 Nations will be the real test, and luckily for some of the Irish guys if they back up a good Six Nations with good HEC performances they're in with a good shout.

People have short memories, if Kearney repeats his 6 Nations and HEC form of this year next year, he will be hard to ignore.

Looking at the depth of the Home Nations, the Lions look strong at prop, second row, backrow and in the back three.

However hooker is a concern along with flyhalf. Scrumhalf and centre are a 'wait and see' area atm.

I think scrumhalf is much more of a concern than flyhalf. At least Sexton is an obvious candidate, whereas scrumhalf looks very weak. There are enough centres to create a strong combination one way or another.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think scrumhalf is much more of a concern than flyhalf. At least Sexton is an obvious candidate, whereas scrumhalf looks very weak. There are enough centres to create a strong combination one way or another.

Sorry should have been clearer, I'm more talking about depth of a 35-40 man panel than the quality of the starters.

Look at the plethora of injuries before and during the 2009 series, you need quality backup in every position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Scrum half is such a form and confidence position that it's near impossible to think who will be there next year. Look at the guys who have been in the jersey or on the tour in recent years. Most of them have never been on another tour. Harry Ellis, Gareth Cooper, Dwayne Peel, TOL, Chris Cusiter and Mike Blair have all been 1 tour scrum halves thus far which is crazy considering that's just from two tours and there's a good chance none of them will travel next year with the possible exception of Blair who is rotated in and out of his national team.

I would say we could still see any one of Murray (yes, even Murray if he hits form), Blair (although ProD2 hugely hurts him), Youngs, Care or Phillips in the test side. A bit of form and confidence and they all have a great chance. Phillips is in pole position but another season of playing dirge in Bayonne could do damage.

Knoyle will tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

Wallace should go as a tackle bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Donnacha Ryan will make the lions ahead of quite a few names mentioned here, inc poc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

jaansu wrote: »
    Wallace should go as a tackle bag

You could say that about a lot of them after yesterday's game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

People have short memories, if Kearney repeats his 6 Nations and HEC form of this year next year, he will be hard to ignore.

There were question marks over his defence during the 6 Nations and they've been answered now I think.

6 Nations and HEC teams won't run at him like OZ will next Summer or NZ did this Summer.

Personally speaking I think we need another full back option for Ireland. Jones being constantly injured and Duffy being ignored is of no help to Ireland.

CatFromHue wrote: »

There were question marks over his defence during the 6 Nations and they've been answered now I think.

6 Nations and HEC teams won't run at him like OZ will next Summer or NZ did this Summer.

Personally speaking I think we need another full back option for Ireland. Jones being constantly injured and Duffy being ignored is of no help to Ireland.

My point being it would be hard for them to ignore the European player of the year or something similar, but I get the problem of defence.

I just don't understand why someone can't sit down with him and make sure he works on it, if Earls can fix it surely Kearney can. He's a big bloke and you would think someone could teach him some proper technique, this is the guy who shrugged off SBW!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

All fit Lions 22 for me would be

1. Cian Healy (Ire)
    2. Rory Best (Ire)
    3. Dan Cole (Eng)
    4. Richie Gray (Sco)
    5. Courtney Lawes (Eng)
    6. Stephen Ferris (Ire)
    7. Sam Warburton (Wal) (c)
    8. Sean O'Brien (Ire)

9. Danny Care (Eng) / Ben Youngs (Eng)
    10. Jonathon Sexton (Ire)
    12. Jonathon Davies (Wal)
    13. Jamie Roberts (Wal)
    11. George North (Wal)
    14. Alex Cuthbert (Wal) / Tommy Bowe (Ire)
    15. Rob Kearney (Ire)

16. Dylan Hartley (Eng)
    17. Alex Corbisiero (Eng)
    18. Donnacha Ryan (Ire)
    19. David Denton (Sco)
    20. Danny Care (Eng) / Ben Youngs (Eng)
    21. James Hook (Wal)
    22. Leigh Halfpenny (Wal)

This could leave a potential mid week team which could probably beat the wallabies as well as is the strength and depth in the potential lions team...could potentially have a starting 15 of ... as a 'A' team

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wal) 9. Mike Phillips (Wal)
    2. Matthew Reese (Wal) 10. Rhys Priestland (Wal)
    3. Mike Ross (Ire) / Adam Jones (Wal) 12. Owen Farrell (Eng)
    4. Paul O'Connell (Ire) 13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ire) / Manu Tuilagi (Eng)
    5. Alun Wyn Jones (Wal) 11. Tim Visser (Sco)/Stuart Hogg(Sco)
    6. Dan Lydiate (Wal) 14. Chris Ashton (Eng)
    7. Justin Tipuric (Wal) 15. Ben Foden (Eng) / Mike Brown (Eng)
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Ire)

thats if everyone is fit and midweek performers should be chllenging for test spots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There is no way Courtney Lawes is better than POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lawes is a tad overhyped.. but potentially a brilliant player to get under Aussie skins. I'd want to see POC on the tour, but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start.

i think to ensure all nations are happy as well a max of 6/7 players will get a starting position from one country so therefore a few calls could go other ways

• Advertisement

its an interesting thing that ireland have better individual players than a lot of the other home nations but are arguably the worst team at the moment...

will make gatlands choices interesting that is

Advertisement