Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2012, 23:46   #376
StephenHendry

well played robbo, maguire looking good for the qf. stephen 12-4 up , could be done and dusted very quickly tomorrow morning when they resume at 10am
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 00:08   #377
Rjd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillMan999 View Post
This might be the start of the Higgins downfall, he was beyond woeful this evening and Hendry will need to seriously up his game if hes gonna threaten Maguire in the quarters..
hopefully, I am enjoying the championship but getting rid of honest John would be lovely especially after the nauseating effort of BBC trying to paint him as a victim last year.
28-04-2012, 01:54   #378
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillMan999 View Post
This might be the start of the Higgins downfall, he was beyond woeful this evening and Hendry will need to seriously up his game if hes gonna threaten Maguire in the quarters..
I would fancy hendry having a good chance of beating maguire even if hendry was a bit inconsistent. Maguire gets very annoyed when things are not going well, which is a bit of a distraction for him.
28-04-2012, 08:09   #379
JBarnes1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjd2 View Post
hopefully, I am enjoying the championship but getting rid of honest John would be lovely especially after the nauseating effort of BBC trying to paint him as a victim last year.
You're entitled to your opinion and I don't condone in any way what he did,it'll hang over him for the rest of his career but seeing John playing as bad as he did yesterday just makes for a poorer World Championship.
28-04-2012, 10:06   #380
zack01
Banned

Day 8 kicks off with the conclusion of Perry v Maguire and Day v Yupeng. Maguire should have no bother wrapping up the win over Perry, once again nearly every frame last night Perry was in first but his old failings of not converting frame winning chances really showed last night. Maguire did in fairness to him stick to his task andfinds himself on the verge of the quater finals.

Day v Yupeng's first session was more a workmanlike performance from Day and another session will see him with one foot in the quaters.

The afternoon sees four players with 16 world titles between them,there is a classic in store with Williams v O'Sullivan on show, this game needs no build up, O'Sullivan will be a strong favourite simply due to the record he has over Williams, it's ten years now since Williams has beaten The Rocket and I fully expect that to stretch to 11. They will have the Cruicble all to themselves to as you would expect Hendry to finish the job on Higgins early enough. I don't think there is anyone who expected to see such a dismal performance as the one produced by Higgins last night, simply put , he was awful,he did'nt look comfortable, any even when he did get chances of which there were plenty he just could'nt make it happen.Hendry didn't exactly play wonderful stuff himself but he potted the balls that mattered and is on route possibly for another all Scottish affair this time with Maguire in the quaters.
As usual there was one or two comments posted here relating to Higgins and what happened in Kiev in 2010 but we're always going to get that. Suggesting the beginning of the Higgins downfall is slightly premature, Higgins will recover from this defeat, he has recovered from a lot worse.

The evening sees Ali Carter v Judd Trump start their match, hard to call this, Trump will be favourite but a refreshed looking Ali Carter will push him hard, I expect lots of high breaks in this game.
Day v Yupeng will play their match to a finish also tonight.

10.00am

Joe Perry 5-11 Stephen Maguire
Ryan Day 6-2 Cao Yupeng

2.30pm

John Higgins 4-12 Stephen Hendry
Mark Williams v Ronnie O’Sullivan

7pm
Ali Carter v Judd Trump
Ryan Day v Cao Yupeng

Last edited by zack01; 28-04-2012 at 11:11.
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 10:21   #381
JBarnes1986

Totally agree,to suggest that this signals the start of a downfall is total nonsense,form is temporary,class is permanent.Some people seem to be taking delight in his poor form.I think that anyone who knows and actually plays the game would like to see John back to his best next season.
Thanks from:
28-04-2012, 10:38   #382
zack01
Banned

Great start from Joe, if he could nick the next two we'll have a match on.
28-04-2012, 11:13   #383
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarnes1986 View Post
Totally agree,to suggest that this signals the start of a downfall is total nonsense,form is temporary,class is permanent.Some people seem to be taking delight in his poor form.I think that anyone who knows and actually plays the game would like to see John back to his best next season.
Its likely just a dip in form alright, but to say class is permanent as if to suggest he will be as good as he is indefinitely, is not right. A downfall will start sometime, no matter how much class a player has.

So at some stage, what was suggested wont be nonsense.
28-04-2012, 11:15   #384
zack01
Banned

Maguire seals the match with a classy 79 break, Perry put up a flight and only for a fluked red from Maguire it could have gone 11-8.
Day meanwhile is 7-5 up on Yupeng
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 11:49   #385
tmax500

ex higgins fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
Really looking forward to this evenings matches.
higgins probabley has a bet on the frame score
(2) thanks from:
28-04-2012, 11:55   #386
zack01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7730 View Post
Its likely just a dip in form alright, but to say class is permanent as if to suggest he will be as good as he is indefinitely, is not right. A downfall will start sometime, no matter how much class a player has.

Of course a downfall will start sometime, there is no question of that regardless of who the player is. I just feel like the OP has said is that Higgins still has a lot more in him. When Davis knocked him out in 2010 people said the same thing but the following season he won three ranking titles including the world championships.
He'll come back a stronger player next season of that I have no doubt.

Last edited by zack01; 28-04-2012 at 12:34.
28-04-2012, 13:12   #387
JBarnes1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7730 View Post

That's not what I meant.The class is permanent quote was meant to mean that a player of Johns class will definitely bounce back after a poor season,to suggest otherwise,is personally I think,nonsense.The way some people are talking,he might as well hang up his cue now.Of course I don't think he's going to be able to produce his best form consistently forever but he's got a good few years left in him
28-04-2012, 14:31   #388
Gunslinger92

Who's Stevens playing in round 2? I had a bit of a crush on him when I was 15 hahaha I met him a few years ago in Killarney, he's a sound lad!
28-04-2012, 15:03   #389
radiata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger92 View Post
Who's Stevens playing in round 2? I had a bit of a crush on him when I was 15 hahaha I met him a few years ago in Killarney, he's a sound lad!
He's playing Barry Hawkins tomorrow morning. Good 1st frame from Williams/O'Sullivan
28-04-2012, 15:04   #390
purple_hatstand

Mark & Ronnie look in good form and really up for this - could be a classic...

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/1...sheffield.html

...Ken on commentary

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion