Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this is a Mid Life Crisis Im loving it......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Thursday 1st....29.08 miles....3.54.38...avg pace 8.04..

Was'nt working til this afternoon so hit the roads early ... A little windy but all in all a beautiful morning..... Ran 3 loops on local roads... Last few miles tough but glad its done....Not quite the 30 I had planned but there was no way I was running past the house again to make up the difference :)

Got my hands on some SunWarrior Protein yesterday... Ive heard alot of postive feedback in relation to it so will take it after long runs as c if its of any benefit... http://www.sunwarrior.com/products/sunwarrior-protein Got the vanilla flavour which Im reliably informed is the best tasting... Christ the natural and chocolate flavours must b bad as the vanilla was fking horrible :eek:

Friday 2nd....7.75 miles....1.00.53...avg pace 7.51..

Saturday 3rd.... Rest Day..

Sunday 4th.... Meath Spring Half Marathon... 1.24.04.... avg pace 6.22...

Confidence took a bit of a hit after Donadea so this was a great bloody run... I was'nt sure how the legs would react after Thursdays long run but the fact that this was a 2 lap race really suited me... Took the 1st lap nice and comfortable ( avg 6.27 pace ) and as I was feeling good pushed hard for the last 6 or so miles passing out a large no of competitors..... Finished really strong which was pleasing... Unexpected bonus was a 30ish sec Pb....

Nice to meet VaggaBond and Aimman ( 30 miler yesterday and half marathon today; the man is made of steel :) ) at the start line and Chinquetti at the finish....

Milage For Week : 77.59
    Milage For Year : 553.29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great running today Liam, Phenominal pace after your 30M on Thurday yourself. Trying hard to get upto that standard myelff.

PS. still have to try to find a finishers top that no one else shows up with at the start of a race, lol.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

A little birdie told me you celebrated with a sneaky fag or 2 ;)

Good running well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

wow, knocking that out considering the miles youve been putting in is fanstastic. Roll on Conn!

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    Great running today Liam, Phenominal pace after your 30M on Thurday yourself. Trying hard to get upto that standard myelff.

PS. still have to try to find a finishers top that no one else shows up with at the start of a race, lol.:D

U stole my thunder Eamon.. Was waiting for the autograph hunters to rush my way but sadly that did'nt happen :eek: will have to look long and hard in my wardrobe before Conn !!

A little birdie told me you celebrated with a sneaky fag or 2 ;)

Good running well done.

Pleading not guilty to that ur honour... Uve a unreliable witness :p

Monday 5th....5.7 miles...45.01...avg pace 7.54..

Tuesday 6th...8.9 miles...1.07.29...avg pace 7.36..

Wednesday 7th...10 miles...1.08.50..avg pace 6.53..

Thursday 8th....Rest Day

Friday 9th...7.74 miles..55.03..avg pace 7.07..

Saturday 10th... 20.40 miles...2.34.42...avg pace 7.35...

Headed to PP and ran 2 loops on the trails... lovely run as trails are in perfect condition..

Sunday 11th....18.88 miles...2.23.10 avg pace 7.35...

Same avg pace as yesterday but completely different run...Ran 1 long local loop... Nice and slow for 1st 10miles, gave it welly for the next 6 and then slow to finish...

Milage For Week : 71.62..
    Milage For Year : 624.91...

Monday 12th.....5.77 miles..45.23...avg pace 7.52..

Tuesday 13th...10.37 miles...1.09.40..avg pace 6.43...

Wednesday 14th...6.97 miles...54.16.. avg pace 7.47...

Thursday 15th....Rest Day

Friday 16th...Untentional Rest Day

Saturday 17th....18.69 miles... 2.18.37... avg pace 7.25...

Sunday 18th.....10.25 miles...1.14.54...avg pace 7.18..

Milage For Week : 52.05
    Milage For Year : 676.96

Monday 19th....5.67 miles....44.38..avg pace 7.52

Tuesday 20th...Rest Day

Wednesday 21st...12.86 miles...1.29.39... avg pace 6.58..
    Did'nt bother checking the watch...just went with the flow..

Thursday 22nd...11.67 miles....1.30.03..avg pace avg pace 7.43..
    Hit the trails in PP after work...

Friday 23rd....Rest Day tough I did spend 4 hrs cutting the poxy grass if that counts 4 anything..

Saturday 24th...10.58 miles...1.14.41..avg pace..7.03..

Sunday 25th....11.71 miles...1.28.17...avg pace..7.32
    Delayed at work so did'nt get to PP til early evening. Place was still packed with the waft of BBQ's driving me insane as I was starving. Love running the trails in this weather tough I nearly got creamed by a cyclist ( suppose they have the same right as me to b on the trails ) whose observation skills leave alot to b desired :rolleyes:

Milage For Week : 52.39
    Milage For Year : 729.35

Monday 26th.... 7.8 miles...1.00.03..avg pace 7.42
    Nice and easy does it for the upcoming week. No taper madness atm which for me is unusual.. Legs like lead so must organise a rub on Wed or Thurs...

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Best of luck at the weekend Liamo. Rip it up and enjoy yourself!

• Advertisement

+1 youre in great shape, enjoy and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Best of luck Liamo, hope it goes well.

Tuesday 27th....5.67 miles....44.38... avg pace 7.52

Wednesday 28th....7.76 miles...57.42...avg pace 7.26

Thursday 29th....5.67 miles...45.00... avg pace 8

Friday 30th....5.04 miles...39.29...avg pace 7.50.. followed by a rubdown with the local sports therapist.... life back in the legs tk god....

Tks for all the good wishes folks.... as per usual a bit of self doubt starting to enter my mind..... Not in the shape I had hoped but will give it a lash anyway... It it goes pearshaped so b it.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck Liam, Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck Liam.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Liam. Enjoy it.

Saturday 31th..... Rest Day

Mrs. L unfortunately couldnt travel with so off I headed to Cliften. After registering I met up with my sister in law who was registered for the half but because of injury could'nt run and her friends who kindly offered to put us up for the weekend. Had a nice bit of grup and 2 pints of porter before heading to the accommodation in Tullycross. A short time later the women headed out on the town so I took the opportunity to organise my drop off bag for the morning. For once I put a bit of thought into their contents and was sure I had all bases covered.... Best laid plans and all that!!!

Hit the sack at about 10.30 but typically could'nt sleep. Despite taking a sleeping tablet at 11.30 and another one at 12.30 a night of twisting and turning lay ahead of me. Body wanted so badly to sleep but the mind was having none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shortest.....report......evah......

Sunday 1st April.... 39.45 miles....4.52.48...avg pace 7.24...

Connemara Ultra Report

Pre Race

As I couldnt sleep got up nice and early and had a small bowl of porridge. I usually eat alot more before a race but today my plan was to refuel on the course with a powerbar and banana. Downed plenty of cups of strong coffee and smoked a few cigarettes before heading towards race start. I dropped off a bottle of carb drink at mile 9 on the way to Peacocks .When I arrived the place was buzzing said I said hello to numerous Boardies. Ray said a few nice words and we were almost ready to rock. However just before we were due to hop on the buses I got a little flustered. I knew I had put bag drops no 2 and 3 in bins 22 and 32 respectively but for the life of me couldnt remember where I placed the 1st bag . I was almost certain I had placed it in bin 16 and at this stage the bin was full but I rummaged through it a little with no luck. I just hoped it was at the bottom somewhere.

Race

Bang on 9am we were off and I immediately got running with Ray Lanagan and TFBubendorfer. The lads had a specific plan and I was going to do my best to stick with them. The 1st few miles flew by and soon we were joined by NoGutsNoGlory ( Paul ) and another fella. A short distance ahead were another few lads and the lead female but she eased off a little after about mile 6. At mile 9 I picked up my 500mls of Hi.5 carb drink and soon after we turned right . By mile 11 ish our group grew to 7 with the arrival of the imposing figure of Grellan and Max who was full of chat. We could see in the distance the marathon runners about to start and it was'nt long before we were passing the back markers. This trickle soon became a stream of runners but it wasnt a problem. We basically ran on the left hand side of the road and only moved in on the arrival of traffic.

Miles 14 to 20 were sheer bliss. Nice group of runners including 4 Boardies tipping away nicely in beautiful weather. At mile 16 I looked for my 1st drop off bag with contained a Powerbar but the fecking thing wasnt there. Where in Gods name had I left it??? I didnt let it affect me and took my 1st gel instead. At approx mile 17 our group was now 9 and I found myself at the front with Paul and Max. Max seemed to want to pick up the pace a bit so we followed him. I was deviating slightly from the plan but there was method in my madness. I badly needed to P but wasnt going to stop until mile 20 so increasing the pace suited me because I could then slot back in with Ray and Thomas.

Bang on mile 20 I stopped and on resuming almost immedately fell in with the 2 lads. At this stage the group had fregmented but Ray and Thomas were sticking to their plan no matter what.I found it hard to get back into a rythm. Was hungry at this stage also and on picking up my 2nd bag at mile 22 cursed the fact that I decided not to pack a banana. What I did have was 500mls of caffeinated Hi 5 this time but this didnt go down too well and miles 22 to 26 were a right slog. As we got nearer to Leenane we were met by a horrible wind and I suffered. Ray and Thomas took turns at the front and I felt guilty for not helping out but I was under pressure. Thoughts of Donadea where I faded badly came flooding back . Fair play to Ray. He damaged his ankle a week before Conn and was running in some discomfort but kept plodding on.

As we approached marathon distance we again met up with Grellan and on entering Leenane I heard my sister in law and her entourage roaring my name. The lads had a good laugh at my expense but I was very happy to c them and it took my mind off the negative thoughts which was great.

1st hill out of Leenane was tough but I was able to keep with Ray and Thomas and on reaching the summit I actually felt alot better that the previous few miles. The caffine must have kicked in so I gradually increased the pace and pulled away from the lads. I made good progress and as always was getting great support from the other runners. At about mile 28 Thomas caught up and soon was powering ahead but I was able to up the pace and stick with him. On the next hill I passed him again which surprised me and shortly after Ray appeared on the scene again looking strong. I tried to follow him but was unable.

I was delighted to approach mile 32 as my last bag drop was there. I was starving and thirsty so badly needed my banana and carb drink. I had my stuff in a red Spar bag from the Addidas series but to my horror there were 2 such bags on opposite sides of the table. I grabbed the 1st bag and felt a banana in it so happy days. It took me a while to open the bag only to discover it wasnt mine :( I cant remember if I directed, pleaded or politely asked a young lad to put it back on the table and I just hoped it did .

This was without doubt the lowest point in my running career. I was gutted . Not only had I broken the golden rule about taking someone elses bag ( christ I hope the young lad put the bag back ) but the food and drink I so badly needed was left on that table. Miles 32 to 35 ( to the next water station ) were the toughest I've ever run. Mentally I was in bits and physically wasnt much better. I was exhausted, hungry ,thirsty and to b honest was waiting for Thomas to pass me at any stage . Somehow got to mile 35 station and got 2 bottles of water . I downed the 1st one and then took my last gel.

Hell of the West was a right slog. I slowed a fair bit ( 8.14 and 8.39 ) and again was waiting for Thomas to pass me. When I got to the top I pushed as hard as my body would permit and my only emotion on crossing the finish line was pure relief. Thomas crossed the line very shortly after and I then discovered he had suffered from cramps. I've no doubt he would have passed me except of those issues.

I was shattered and sat down for ages drinking as much water as I could. Ray kindly offered me a can of Locozade which I gratefully accepted . Had a couple of cups of soup before heading back to the house and onto numerous pubs in the general Letterfrack/ Tullycross for post race rehydration!!!

Splits were : 1.35.56, 1.36,22 and 1.40.27

wow - sub 5 with a catastrophe fuelling! Great report liam. Inspiring stuff.

• Advertisement

Shortest.....report......evah......

Its done at last!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

liam great report,we are going to smash 4.50 next year to pieces,cant wait for this one again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Top notch report to go with a top notch race. I might have caught you without the cramps, but then again I might not. Congratulations!

I can't believe you're a smoker!

See you at the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Liam i enjoyed reading the report. Even with a bit of a disaster re fueling you did not drop off the pace that much "1.35.56, 1.36,22 and 1.40.27" and considering the last third is the toughest.
    Now give up them aul smokes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

nice to meet you enroute.. good report.. well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Great running Liam, just think what you'll do when you quit the smokes & don't have any disasters with the fuel drops ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Grellan

You had a fantastic race Liam and your splits, unlike mine, don't betray your internal struggle over the last 13.1 miles. Those middle miles along the shores of Lough Inagh were magical indeed. Till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Well done Liam, fantastic running. Even with the problems with the fuelling you really held it together for final 13.1 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Jesus Liam, that's rough about the bags... fair play on being a hard bastard and running a great race in spite of that. Well done man.
    Miles 14 to 20 were sheer bliss.

You don't hear that phrase too often :cool:

• Advertisement

Was in a heap for a couple of days after the Ultra so took it easy until Friday..

Friday 6th...8.55 miles....1.07.42.... avg pace 7.55...
    Trails of PP after work... Legs felt good

Saturday 7th...7.67 miles...59.11...avg pace 7.43..
    As above..

Sunday 8th.... Rest Day..

Milage For Week : 16.22
    Milage For Year : 816.96

Monday 9th.... 5.67 miles...42.59... avg pace 7.35..
    I plan to take it nice and easy again for this week. Will probably then tackle a 10k programme but will continue with a long run at the weekend. I also plan to do some gym work as Mrs. L and the kids now refer to me as the Pot Noodle man... Time to tone up Liamo !!

Advertisement