Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

As regards not being able to play Divx (SD) files is it just a matter of Ferguson providing this functionality in a firmware update or is there a hardware limitation on the Ariva 120 Combo which will stop it playing SD Divx files ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

dmm1000 wrote: »
    is there a hardware limitation on the Ariva 120 Combo which will stop it playing SD Divx files ?

Can't imagine it is a hardware limitation because it plays HD files pretty good. :D
    If the 120 could play SD divx, it would be nice addition to have someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lads I must say here I was curious about purchasing being a great price but everyone seems to be having so much hassle and a bargain is useless if you feel like the soldering iron needs to be brought out to replace a capacitor or something. Thanks to all of ye for trying but I think I will be well keeping my distance from this product, even with the "new" firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

Mukah wrote: »
    Hey thanks for that willyb007, seems to have done the trick....its alot better although just working through scart at the moment...

Just an unrelated question, might sound daft but gonna ask anyhow...

On the Fortec Star receiver, there's an RF OUT socket, which I used to hook up to another tv in another room, I then had a little IR sender to control from there....in this ariva there's no RF OUT....is there anyway that I can hook the 2 box's up to recieve the TV from the ariva and use the fortec star to direct to the other room??

There is a loop out wich i think you will be able to view in another room by running coax cable, The 120 has no modulator built in like the sky box but it may work to change channels in another room by using a modulator (Can Buy one decent price online) with a magic eye or if the IR Sender you have is a scart sender you could hook that up to the scart socket on your box. Though im not a 100% sure about that:confused:

TheDriver wrote: »
    Lads I must say here I was curious about purchasing being a great price but everyone seems to be having so much hassle and a bargain is useless if you feel like the soldering iron needs to be brought out to replace a capacitor or something. Thanks to all of ye for trying but I think I will be well keeping my distance from this product, even with the "new" firmware

I can say the only sync problem I have is with ITV 1 HD, not a major issue though as I have ITV 1 Granada HD which is the same thing and is perfect. Also this same problem has been noted on the S*y box too. Begining to think from seeing peoples comments about DTT Sync problems, that that is a transmitter problem depending on where in the country you are. I'm not a technician but it seems that way to me as I seem to remember stated somewhere in this thread that the Triax Saorview Box (Not the Combo) had sync issues for whoever it was and wherever he/she was in the country. Im in Offaly and have my aerial pointed at Carinn Hill, Longford. So if anyone else is having sync issues on DTT from this transmitter, I would be interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

s_gr wrote: »
    still seems to be lip sync issue on channels, dtt channels also effected....

Are you affected on all channels or just Hd channels as before on HDMI ? Have you powered the box off using the switch at the back as this seems to make a difference.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Audio sync is still slightly out for me after the firmware upgrade. It's still only very slight but noticeable. TV3 seems to be the worst of the terrestrial channels for it.

Celtxx wrote: »
    Audio sync is still slightly out for me after the firmware upgrade. It's still only very slight but noticeable. TV3 seems to be the worst of the terrestrial channels for it.

I'll keep the pressure up on ferguson to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For me, the lip-synch is a nano-second out, just barely noticeable via scart. Via HDMI, the DTT is more pronounced.In SAT, the BBCs are ok. HD channels are acceptable. ITV & Ch4 not great. You could drive yourself daft the more you look at the damn screen:(. My folks have that "not again" attitude whenever I ask them to confirm that I'm not losing it:D. Hopefully Ferguson can take another look at this.I don't know how to upload streams,or I would have done so.:confused:

Hopefully Ferguson can take another look at this.I don't know how to upload streams,or I would have done so.:confused:

If you (or anyone ) wants to upload streams please email me and i'll reply with the instructions. What I'm seeing at the moment on HDMI is ITV HD London noticably out, ITV Granada HD is ok ,BBC 1 HD and BBc HD slightly out,Tv 3 terrestrial noticably out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks Tony - just went ahead and ordered one from your now.

Thanks again for your help in getting the coupon code (from post 92) in - using View Basket was the one to do this :)
    Tried to take a shortcut and go straight to checkout.

Thanks again - looking forwards to getting this set up and getting some TV back in the house at long last.

Cheers
    T

• Advertisement

Thanks Taltos, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Tony wrote: »
    If you (or anyone ) wants to upload streams please email me and i'll reply with the instructions. What I'm seeing at the moment on HDMI is ITV HD London noticably out, ITV Granada HD is ok ,BBC 1 HD and BBc HD slightly out,Tv 3 terrestrial noticably out.

Without seeing or testing one of these boxes it seems to me that the reason there is a problem on ITV HD london is that they are using an AC3 stream as default. Same with the BBC HD channels. The problem doesnt exist on ITV Granada as the default is MPEG2 audio. The problem doesnt exist with the SD Sat stations as the audio is MPEG also. I cant explain the TV3 connection though as that too is MPEG2 audio.

Is there an option to choose between AC3 and MPEG2 in the audio properties of that box? Or whilst on the channel through audio button ?

It would therefore seem that there is a problem with the AC3 codecs settings on the box itself.
    dmm1000 wrote: »
    As regards not being able to play Divx (SD) files is it just a matter of Ferguson providing this functionality in a firmware update or is there a hardware limitation on the Ariva 120 Combo which will stop it playing SD Divx files ?

Em, quick question. These Divx files you are trying to play, are they higher than 25 frames per second ? I have found issues before with STBs/TV USB ports that only accept stuff encoded at 25fps. A good way to test this is encoding a small film clip at 25fps in the likes of format factory or XMedia recode (both free).

STB wrote: »

It would therefore seem that there is a problem with the AC3 codecs settings on the box itself.

The only audio option that appears is if for either DA or for th NAR narrative audio , the nar works fine but as Darth obviously pointed out thats not a solution as some channels will carry audio description. Does not quite explain the TV 3 issue as RTE is fine and they both seem to be using the same audio type.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

Without seeing or testing one of these boxes it seems to me that the reason there is a problem on ITV HD london is that they are using an AC3 stream as default. Same with the BBC HD channels. The problem doesnt exist on ITV Granada as the default is MPEG2 audio. The problem doesnt exist with the SD Sat stations as the audio is MPEG also. I cant explain the TV3 connection though as that too is MPEG2 audio.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I am seeing the sync problems on all channels. Nothing I do "fixes" it. It does seem worse on mpeg4 and HD but every channel has some level of sync issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I can't seem to get the upgrade to work. I downloaded the file and extracted it to a usb stick but when I go into "upgrade by usb", allcode +bootlogger I get "no file". I've connected a network cable but the option to upgrade by network doesn't seem to be available either.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Any word from Ferguson on this failed firmware update, i emailed but got no reply.

The only audio option that appears is if for either DA or for th NAR narrative audio , the nar works fine but as Darth obviously pointed out thats not a solution as some channels will carry audio description. Does not quite explain the TV 3 issue as RTE is fine and they both seem to be using the same audio type.

So when you hit the green button it only gives you 2 STREAMS ?? ONE of which is Audio Description ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

bmaxi wrote: »
    I can't seem to get the upgrade to work. I downloaded the file and extracted it to a usb stick but when I go into "upgrade by usb", allcode +bootlogger I get "no file". I've connected a network cable but the option to upgrade by network doesn't seem to be available either.

Did you extract the zip file? (right-click, extract)
    The firmware is called A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs
    it's inside the zip download.

philahern wrote: »
    I'm not sure about everyone else but I am seeing the sync problems on all channels. Nothing I do "fixes" it. It does seem worse on mpeg4 and HD but every channel has some level of sync issue.

So even ITV granada is not ok with you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So when you hit the green button it only gives you 2 STREAMS ?? ONE of which is Audio Description ?

On tg4 you get iri(1204) or nar(1214), which dose'nt give any audio.On the others you get eng & nar.

• Advertisement

Moon54 wrote: »
    Did you extract the zip file? (right-click, extract)
    The firmware is called A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs
    it's inside the zip download.

Thanks, I had sent the whole file to the usb stick but when I extracted the .abs file on its own it found it. Problem now is I'm getting BIN do not match, no idea what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

I am very tempted to get one of these to replace a sky+ box. Could somebody confirm the following are true
    • You can only record one channel at a time?
    • If you are recording a satelite channel you can not view another satelite channel
    • You can watch another DTT or satelite channel while recording a DTT channel.
    • No serial linking.
    • 7 day epg for both satelite and DTT?
    • Can recording be set from the epg?
    • Can recording be set to occur weekly/Daily?
    • Can you watch a recording while recording a channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Problem now is I'm getting BIN do not match, no idea what that means.

Ignore that and select yes.

So even ITV granada is not ok with you ?
    It's not as bad as the other ITVs but yes getting sync problems on that channel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

bmaxi wrote: »
    Thanks, I had sent the whole file to the usb stick but when I extracted the .abs file on its own it found it. Problem now is I'm getting BIN do not match, no idea what that means.

Just select yes anyways when it says that problem is it wipes your cannel list and when you reload it it also reverts to old firmware i will post a link to new firmware with built in channel list for you and anyone else who would like it, See Darth_Maul's post from yesterday to overcome this problem. It still will say bin file not matched but will work when you select upload anyway.

On tg4 you get iri(1204) or nar(1214), which dose'nt give any audio.On the others you get eng & nar.

Forget Tg4 (is that out of sync too ???) I was asking about the BBC HD Channels and the ITV HD Channel ???

You could edit the channel APID and enter the MPEG2 stream should one be broadcast. Is there an option to edit the APID in the manual edit menu ?

philahern wrote: »

Well if you are seeing it on every channel I would looking more closely at the TV's firmware!

Well if you are seeing it on every channel I would looking more closely at the TV's firmware!

Really? I have a Windows 7 PC running on the same tv and I have never see a sync problem on any of the channels. Other people have mentioned sync problems on the sd channels also.

willyb007 wrote: »
    Just select yes anyways when it says that problem is it wipes your cannel list and when you reload it it also reverts to old firmware i will post a link to new firmware with built in channel list for you and anyone else who would like it, See Darth_Maul's post from yesterday to overcome this problem. It still will say bin file not matched but will work when you select upload anyway.

Thanks, I've looked at Darth Maul's post but it's all Greek to me. It'd probably be easier for me to rescan or put in a new channel list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

ok to get the channel list to work with new firmware this is what is needed.

Open ariva editor and open you channels list.
    go to file export and save it as a udf (user database)
    close arivaeditor and open again
    open udf file
    the goto file export and save it over the new firmware abs file (basically overwrite the new firmware file "A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs")
    this now has new firmware and your channel list (still has same file name A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs)

put usb drive back in combo box
    goto upgrade by usb
    upgrade mode userdb (or Allcode+bootloader if you haven't yet upgraded the firmware)
    select the new firmware file (A120Combo_20110620_V2.14B2.abs)
    click start
    have one ready here if anyone needs it

http://www.mediafire.com/?3cjjgcnbhv5nnz5 just download that and use it if you don't understand any of the above its the new firmware with a channel list embeded

Advertisement