Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJJ WORLDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

@BJJREVSS

Mick I have a lot of respect for you and your team,
    But I think you should cool it off.
    Andy and Darragh have both said their piece on the subject, what more do you want?

Chris will more than likely get his blue belt over the next few weeks and compete in blue belt divisions from then onwards.

Problem solved.

Now lets all get back to training, I feel like a boards junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Chris89 wrote: »
    so we now know Alvaro Mansors opinion of whether I cheated or not is: gi grades will be the same in nogi.

Thank goodness you posted this.

And I would never train at your academy Mick. :)

He doesnt have opinions, he has rules, and is answering a question that everybody except you knew the answer to. It might be time to admit that you made an error in judgement, as you did clearly act in contravention of the rules.

Chris89 wrote: »
    I would hope that it was fairly obvious to most that my reply was just poking fun at how vague the response was, perhaps Micks question was lost in translation.

if you found that answer vague its not bjj that you should be learning.

''The correct answer is that the same rank for gi on will be for without the gi.''

This everyone knows and was his answer.

It however, does not mention the opposite which is what people on this forum are so dearly concerned about, hence vague.

Nice sly dig mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Not much else im interested in learning to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

If you were able to enter the gi bjj competition at the munster open tim what belt competition would you enter? On one hand you say you've no time for the belt system but at the same time you compete in BJJ competition so you have to follow the rules.
    I never said that I had no time for the belt system. I have no problem with the belt system at all, it's a pretty good one for the most part. I'd compete in the blue belt division I'd imagine as thats the BJJ rank I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Al 25

Well done Chris on your medal , great achievement alot haters hanging around this thread
    wish I could pack up and train in the US , RESPECT
    Any chance posting a pic of medal

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

Having read through this whole thing, it seems like the question asked of Mr. Mansor was not the relevant issue. Chris was deemed a white belt by Saulo Ribeiro (otherwise Saulo would not have subsequently promoted Chris to blue). Therefore as far as Saulo Ribeiro was concerned, Chris entered the correct division. Thus, the relevant question is whether or not the IBJJF regulations permit Saulo to demote a student previously ranked by someone else (which JK says is not unknown), and the whole gi/no-gi malarkey becomes irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Al 25 wrote: »
    Well done Chris on your medal , great achievement alot haters hanging around this thread
    wish I could pack up and train in the US , RESPECT
    Any chance posting a pic of medal

I'm certainly not a hater and have said more than i wanted to on here, just because people think he was already a blue does not make them haters, if he had medalled at blue i'd be the 1st on here saying well done.
    Diab Soule wrote: »
    Having read through this whole thing, it seems like the question asked of Mr. Mansor was not the relevant issue. Chris was deemed a white belt by Saulo Ribeiro (otherwise Saulo would not have subsequently promoted Chris to blue). Therefore as far as Saulo Ribeiro was concerned, Chris entered the correct division. Thus, the relevant question is whether or not the IBJJF regulations permit Saulo to demote a student previously ranked by someone else (which JK says is not unknown), and the whole gi/no-gi malarkey becomes irrelevant.

He was already deemed a blue belt by Chris Brennan, basically all that has gone down here is they have re graded him so know he is there blue belt instead of Chris's-is this right? thats the question.

i believe no but thats opinion not fact.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

basically all that has gone down here is they have re graded him so know he is there blue belt instead of Chris's

Do you really believe a coach of Saulo Ribeiro's stature would do that just to 'claim' a guy who - no disrespect intended - is basically an anonymous blue belt? After all, as far as I can tell Chris is already a member of Saulo's academy, right? Maybe I'm naive, but I'd prefer to assume Saulo genuinely felt Chris was a white belt rather than imagine some plot to 'steal' him. After all, from my understanding it's not as though he had a long training relationship with Chris Brennan either.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'm certainly not a hater and have said more than i wanted to on here, just because people think he was already a blue does not make them haters, if he had medalled at blue i'd be the 1st on here saying well done.

He was already deemed a blue belt by Chris Brennan, basically all that has gone down here is they have re graded him so know he is there blue belt instead of Chris's-is this right? thats the question.

i believe no but thats opinion not fact.

Hey paul I would like to add a response to this,

This post is me speculating

No disrespect to Next Generation, dave jones or Chris Brennan, there system is awesome. But the NG ranks awarded by chris brennan cant be applicable under the IBJJF as they do not incorporate the gi, which means it is not a BJJ rank.

Now we can sing that Chris Brennan is a black belt but can he award BJJ grades to those who have never trained in the gi?? is that allowed?

So if it isnt a BJJ grade and is a NG rank, then there is no issue.

The IBJJF states that if you are a blue belt in the gi, then you are also a blue belt in no gi competitions, It however does not state the opposite.

Diab Soule wrote: »
    Do you really believe a coach of Saulo Ribeiro's stature would do that just to 'claim' a guy who - no disrespect intended - is basically an anonymous blue belt? After all, as far as I can tell Chris is already a member of Saulo's academy, right? Maybe I'm naive, but I'd prefer to assume Saulo genuinely felt Chris was a white belt rather than imagine some plot to 'steal' him. After all, from my understanding it's not as though he had a long training relationship with Chris Brennan either.

well he has to justify putting him in the white belt categorary and he is clearly not a white and this proves that he does not feel he is either

Do you think that last week he felt he was not a blue and this week suddenly he has advanced?! rhetorical question.

Before Chris left to America, from training with him every day, I thought he was a white belt very close to blue belt. just saying.. getting close to purple no gi, for sure, but its a different game.

As far as saulos decisions, Im pretty sure a 7 time world champ knows what he's doing regarding BJJ

da-bres wrote: »
    Before Chris left to America, from training with him every day, I thought he was a white belt very close to blue belt. just saying..

As far as saulos decisions, Im pretty sure a 7 time world champ knows what he's doing regarding BJJ

Thats fair enough if you felt that, but then were back to the Next generation grades problem-Is it not recognised anymore because it is looking worthless now and i think thats a shame after all Dave's hard work..

Clarification is still needed on that for future reference.

well he has to justify putting him in the white belt categorary and he is clearly not a white and this proves that he does not feel he is either

Do you think that last week he felt he was not a blue and this week suddenly he has advanced?! rhetorical question.

In practical terms - from before the Mundials to now - probably not, but awarding belts after major competitions seems like pretty standard practise.

Besides, if he's been training with Saulo full time for a while, don't you think he might have improved? I assume Saulo decided he was a white belt early on.

Thats fair enough if you felt that, but then were back to the Next generation grades problem-Is it not recognised anymore because it is looking worthless now and i think thats a shame after all Dave's hard work..

Clarification is still needed on that for future reference.

This is where its confusing paul. It is something that only Chris Brennan and Dave can clarify. Maybe the IBJJF could shed some light on it aswell. Im just saying what could be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

No disrespect to Next Generation, dave jones or Chris Brennan, there system is awesome. But the NG ranks awarded by chris brennan cant be applicable under the IBJJF
    Can they not?
    as they do not incorporate the gi, which means it is not a BJJ rank.

Says who?
    Now we can sing that Chris Brennan is a black belt but can he award BJJ grades to those who have never trained in the gi?? is that allowed?

Yes it is.

As far as I know all the purple belts in the UK under Chris compete as Purple belts in gi comps.

@ sid justice
    Im just saying what could be the case.

i'm just adding in points of note, and what i make sense of the information that is at hand.

I dont have any of the answers.

Can they not?

Says who?

Yes it is.

As far as I know all the purple belts in the UK under Chris compete as Purple belts in gi comps.

First two 'can they not'/ 'says who'

Can they not: my understanding is they dont incorporate the gi.

Says who: I am going by what is regularly stated, you cant grade in BJJ without wearing the gi.

As for yes it is? Says who??

These once again are replys on what I understand of the info.. I.e speculation

Dave, c. brennan, and IBJJF would have a clear cut view on things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chris Brennan

I didnt read all of this but I read to enough to know that if you were promoted to a belt by me than thats what belt you are. I dont care if Eddie ****ing Bravo, Saulo, Royce, or Helio (rip) tell you that your not at the level. If that's the case I say get your ass in the gym and get back where you were becuause everyone who has trained with me or anyone under me knows I'm a black belt and I dont hand out belts easy.

Especially 2 YEARS after being promoted. To go back and compete at White belt 2 years later is not cool.

I'm sure people will jump my **** for this post but as always I'm being honest about how I feel.

• Advertisement

I didnt read all of this but I read to enough to know that if you were promoted to a belt by me than thats what belt you are. I dont care if Eddie ****ing Bravo, Saulo, Royce, or Helio (rip) tell you that your not at the level. If that's the case I say get your ass in the gym and get back where you were becuause everyone who has trained with me or anyone under me knows I'm a black belt and I dont hand out belts easy.

Especially 2 YEARS after being promoted. To go back and compete at White belt 2 years later is not cool.

I'm sure people will jump my **** for this post but as always I'm being honest about how I feel.

Well thats an interesting turn of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paul rimmer

hi guys im paul rimmer from next generation liverpool. im one of chris brennans black belts.i joined to clarify my stance on this as a next gen school.
    whatever grade a NG student is given by chris be it nogi ,gi is the grade they compete at.. i go to clubs all over the uk on my travels and wear my belt with pride. Not a single instructor has ever questioned my belt or chris. one of my and chris brown belts from liverpool was given a stripe on his belt by braulio after being there for 2 months. did braulio tell him to wear a white belt? no. one of my blues was at carlsons for 3 months in chicago wore his blue at a gi only school. no one said anything to him.
    i personally train gi 2x a week and 8x without. however i will grade guys if they dont wear one as will chris, that is our choice. if they are going to a gi tournament do you think they dont put one on and train in it? a lot of people go to schools run by traditional old school brazillians and pick up there methods and ethics for the sport no problem with that at all. some of us however we have that laidback so cal attitude where being on the mat is more important than what we are wearing to train in. i love bjj its my life i have 60 guys per class. i have over 30 blues 10 purples 3 browns and me at our school and we dont care what you wear to class just train your ass off. most of you guys worrying about gi/nogi probably worry what tapout shirt your gonna wear to your boyfriends house. If you really have a probem with a next gen school and its grades feel free to come over here where ill be only to happy to throw a kimono on a guy at the same belt and change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

great to have your opinion on the matter Chris good luck in your fight in two weeks

Thanks for clarifying this chris.

Thanks for clarifying this chris.

Like it needed to be clarified.

Thanks for the suppport guys. I only say this because I think I actually wait till my guys are a good blue before giving it out and so one up the line.

Paul thanks for posting bro and congrats again on your belt and all that you have accomplished over there. Anyone anywhere near the same city as you school would be a fool to train somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Wow. Interesting thread, funny it died down so much once Chris Brennan posted in it, I would have imagined the opposite would normally happen.

This is an unfortunate situation and hopefully the guy can move forward and do great things in grappling in the future, he seems to be dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

The Westside Strangler just choked the life out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marcus.phelan

the ibjjf is obviously flawed if they count no gi blue belts as gi blue belts, two different sports. lots of tenth planet jiu jitsu guys have seperate belts, magnus hansson from sweden is a gi black belt under de la riva nd brown belt under eddie bravo at tenth planet jj. the ibjjf should treat both sports differently.

• Advertisement

Does that mean I can compete in the blue belt division of a Gi tournament?

Advertisement