Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Science and Religion in the same place?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Was it a trade in or a straight swap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I would have said jedi, but she probally would'nt get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Could be of some significance - if you're on your last legs and you want the last rites, or are a Jehovah's witness and need a blood transfusion etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, I was visiting a clinic at the Mater Hospital and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no religion'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?:mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a hospital care about my religious beliefs?:confused:

It's actually in case you're about to die for whatever reason and they need to know whether you'd want a priest for the last rites or a Rabbi or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

In case you need a blood transfusion maybe?
    Only reason i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Should've said "Football is my religion" then they'd be obliged to supply you with Sky Sports on your deathbed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?

*Catholic hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Mater was set up by nuns, though, according to the Mission Statement, it isn't anymore.
    Today, the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital continues in its healing ministry to the sick, regardless of class, creed, or nationality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Can't believe nobody asked what was the Mater with you yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yes, I was visiting a clinic at the Mater Hospital and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no religion'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?:mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a hospital care about my religious beliefs?:confused:

Isnt there a religion that considers blood transfusions a bad thing. (Jehovah's Witnesses I believe)

Asking for religion is probably an arse covering exercise on the hospitals part.

People may object to certain treatments on religous grounds so on that basis the hospital may ask in order to know how best to proceed. I am open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Nothin strange about that - maybe they expected you to pop your clogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

in case you die so they know whether to call a priest or a vicar or a rabbi or am imam or scientology type thing I should imagine. I was asked this in the Bons hospital and I said "I think I'm a Catholic LOL?". Wouldn't be offended at the question but would be offended if they used my belief(or rather lack there of) against me at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So a chaplain can visit you.

And a few years back a lady was given a blood transfusion and she sued the hospital as she was a Jehovah's witness.
    That's the kind of thanks you get for saving somebodies life, should have let her die tbh

But the reason for the form is for the chaplain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its in the likelihood that you die.

Should they call a Rabbi, a Catholic priest or just the grave diggers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

She was filling in the form.

Go to Heaven? [Y/N]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

They want to make sure they don't give a Jewish person pork by mistake.

Nothing worse than a pork by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

You should have said "Rastafarian, Mon"...they are obliged to to give you free weed while you stay there then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If the patient is a Jehovah's Witness there can be issues with blood transfusions as their religion does'nt allow it. The questions probably asked because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, nothing to do with a blood transfusion or about to die stuff, I was actually at the Fracture clinic there. I was just taken aback that in this day and age they ask for religion in a hospital.

Though there was a nun in a wheelchair in the queue, I wonder if they asked her religion?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

No, nothing to do with a blood transfusion or about to die stuff, I was actually at the Fracture clinic there. I was just taken aback that in this day and age they ask for religion in a hospital.

Though there was a nun in a wheelchair in the queue, I wonder if they asked her religion?:)

There are still other issues. For example a devout muslim woman would probably want to see a female doctor. If they knoow the persons religion before hand they at least they can avoid trouble later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

You could still have a heart attack or something and drop dead in a fracture clinic-you might go in with a fracture but come out dead. You just never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I was just taken aback that in this day and age they ask for religion in a hospital.

You should probably get the old ticker checked out if you're that easily shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

alwaysadub wrote: »
    You could still have a heart attack or something and drop dead in a fracture clinic-you might go in with a fracture but come out dead. You just never know!

Good point :D Actually, the noise of electric saws on casts sorta made my heart racing. Do those nurses there have apprenticeships in carpentry or something? ;):)

They want to make sure they don't give a Jewish person pork by mistake.

Nothing worse than a pork by mistake.

nothing worse than a badly placed sausage.

bangers all round

They probably just asked how's your gee love?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

muffy wrote: »
    in case you die so they know whether to call a priest or a vicar or a rabbi or am imam or scientology type thing I should imagine

I'd rather they called a doctor before I got to that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't let the Taigs grind you down!

No surrender!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

gurramok, I'm often shocked at some of the questions asked by the 'institutions'...

There is usually a good reason, even if it's not immediately apparent.

Voluntary surveys are another matter! I completed one for my sis online lately ( under pressure ) for Debenhams, and they wanted to know the, ''description' if she didn't know the name'', of the person at the till who served her...

..now, THAT's scary! Hope my employers don't start that kind of malarky!

Still though, she could win a thousand euro blah blah...so ye know, recession and all that stuff :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement