Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shhhhh! The angelus....

Options
  • 24-06-2006 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Im very wary of starting a religious thread on boards and I just want to start by saying that this isnt intended to be a debate on the Catholic church/ sex abuse scandals/ etcetera. If you want to debate that start a new thread.

Just wondering if many people observe the angelus or what your opinions are on why it is still carried on on public radio and TV (I just heard it on Radio 1)

Personally, although not Catholic or even Christian I think it is a very nice tradition. I think it is something we can all relate to even as just a moment of reflection during the working day and in my opinion has surpassed the traditional Catholic meaning attatched to it

Do you observe Angelus 73 votes

Yes by praying
    0% 0 votes
    Yes by reflection (personal)
    2% 2 votes
    No, but I dont really have a problem with it
    10% 8 votes
    No, and I dont agree it should be given airtime
    86% 63 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't like being told I should take time to reflect... I'll do so when I wish.

I could understand the point of it if it was still geared towards the Catholic population, but since they've made the angelus vague and non-catholic it's become even more pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Where's the option for laughing at it? It's hilarious, just a bunch of clips of mainly old people who seem too have some sort of artificial surreal happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Was there not a mock up of it once? Like someone was about to get a bullet but they both stopped to reflect when they heard the bells.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

The PC brigade brought this one up before but ironically the non-Catholic religions they were complaining "on behalf of" all said that they didn't care, and a lot used it to remind them pray to their God or reflect on life.

I don't care if it stays or goes, but the majority of Catholic Ireland does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Bit of a waste of time in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Mute button when it comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It doesnt really bother me if its on or not. Better than that some bolleex ads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's nearly always a dive for the remote control if it's on telly...I don't mind it being played on real church bells on an actual church, but broadcasting it in glorious stereo or with the aforementioned images of pleasant moments before the main evening news is taking the piss....okay so it doesn't harm anyone and you can chagge the channels...it still kind of grates on me though...and not because of our new found cultural/religious diversity...merely for the fact that it harks back to a time when the church was revered and feared...we've all since seen what was actually going on all that time.
    It's an anachronism...but what in RTÉ isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Wertz wrote:
    It's an anachronism...but what in RTÉ isn't?

Sharon Ni Veyulon (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i dont watch telly so i only saw the new PC version of the angelus recently...apart from the subtle-as-a-brick-in-the-balls PC propaganda its hilarious it's so badly done. Looks like ed wood directed it.

Shame they dont still do the national anthem with all footage of rural landscapes before shutdown, i loved that as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

<rant on>Look, if there is an invisible silent man in the sky, he doesn't give a damn if we eat pork, have sex before marriage, work on a Sunday, use condoms, if we say the same old boring meaningless prayers, OR stop for 1 minute at mid day and 6 to rattle off "The angel of the lord declared unto mary ..."

Superstition has no place in a modern world, yes the Church teaches some seriously good stuff about Morals, but so does Star Trek, SG1, and any other Sci Fi show, and I'd rather educate kids with real morals, and not false, convenient hopes of everlasting life and happiness.

The Angelus? Down with that sort of thing. We're a multicultural country now. If we keep broadcasting the Angelus, we should have all presenters on TV drop and face Mecca, and start new programming along the lines of "The Vishnu Hour".

It's really time the Human race grew up and dropped religion, pursued medicine, equality, technology, and put an end to world hunger. We actually could if wanted, and that's the messed up part right there.</and I'm outta here>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ned78 wrote:
    <rant on>Look, if there is an invisible silent man in the sky, he doesn't give a damn if we eat pork, have sex before marriage, work on a Sunday, use condoms, if we say the same old boring meaningless prayers, OR stop for 1 minute at mid day and 6 to rattle off "The angel of the lord declared unto mary ..."

Superstition has no place in a modern world, yes the Church teaches some seriously good stuff about Morals, but so does Star Trek, SG1, and any other Sci Fi show, and I'd rather educate kids with real morals, and not false, convenient hopes of everlasting life and happiness.

The Angelus? Down with that sort of thing. We're a multicultural country now. If we keep broadcasting the Angelus, we should have all presenters on TV drop and face Mecca, and start new programming along the lines of "The Vishnu Hour".

It's really time the Human race grew up and dropped religion, pursued medicine, equality, technology, and put an end to world hunger. We actually could if wanted, and that's the messed up part right there.</and I'm outta here>

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Like alot of things this is pointless and about as catholic as streaking in church but I dont have a problem with it.
    I just dont watch it.
    Normally the Simpsons is on at the same time so I dont have to. If you dont want to watch it the dont. But watching it when you dont like makes about as much sense as having your dog rip your testicles off cause you dont like it.

If you dont like it then dont watch and dont bitch about it.
    1 minute to change channels before the news. Thats all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It dosen't bother me in the slightest either. The TV angelus allows me to get the headlines on the BBC Six O'Clock News before going back over to RTE for Six One News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It's handy for getting the news headlines on BBC at 6 and then switch over to RTE at 6:01 and get the Irish headlines. Can then decide which news show to watch. I don't much care if they show zombies eating babies on RTE at 6 as long as it takes up enough time for me to get the BBC headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

ned78 wrote:

Well said, man. Let those who are big into religion keep it as a hoppy in their own time, and for personal fulfillment, but IMO it's a waste of time, money, & resources in it's current prominent role, and those resources could be directed elsewhere. The sad thing is, it's worse in other countires! Some people actually go to war over religion!!! How retarded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Let those who are big into religion keep it as a hoppy in their own time, and for personal fulfillment, but IMO it's a waste of time, money, & resources in it's current prominent role, and those resources could be directed elsewhere.

Yeah Its a really big budget production:D . I dont have a prob with it. And neither do most if this poll is anything to go by.
    The sad thing is, it's worse in other countires! Some people actually go to war over religion!!! How retarded!

Theres no telling some people. If only the angelus was as bad as it got. However you could argue that those people arent truly fighting in the name of religion but there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Dun laoire wrote:
    Was there not a mock up of it once? Like someone was about to get a bullet but they both stopped to reflect when they heard the bells.:D

yeah it was on before a movie (cant remember which one) a couple of years back...was hillarious all right!

I dont pray during it but I do always stop what Im doing and just reflect on the good things I did that day or the good things thats in me. (i know a bit sad :) ) I usually put it on befor the simpsons cos it does give me that time just to chill and get a bit of time out for myself before the evening begins.
    In all fairness to RTE they have tried to modernise the angelus recently by using people in the tv angelus of all differnt races and nationalities.i think this is there attempt to make it less of a catholic thing and more of a spiritual thing for people to take time out in their busy lives. Id find without the angelus I would rarely use my own iniatitive to take time out and de stress in my busy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

The sad thing is, it's worse in other countires! Some people actually go to war over religion!!! How retarded!
    so , you're new to the world, and the carry on of the last 5000 years?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's a modest waste of public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I can take it or leave it tbh. It doesnt bother me when it's on, but I wouldn't mind if it was taken off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Archaic bog Ireland from the 60's ..why our national broadcaster still seems fit to broadcast a fupping bell ringing every evening escapes me entirely.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Apapaia wrote:
    Mute button when it comes on.

Why not change the station?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Yeah Its a really big budget production:D . I dont have a prob with it. And neither do most if this poll is anything to go by.

It's 1 minute of airtime during primetime on the country's main national TV station. BUT, I was more referring to other crap like live mass, etc, and also not just stuff confined to TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Well live mass actually serves a function for the ould ones who are bedbound in fairness. But I see your point. Though the cost of these things is nothing when compared to Winning Streek or whatever it is that still graces our tellies of a saturday evening. Not to mention the salaries of those disk jockeys... no the biggest concern here couldnt really be money.

Ya its a bit old fashioned, but sure, what harm? As the op said its not just for Cadillacs but a little bit of religion for everyone!*

*except the protestants

(joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

It's a state business, it services the needs of the people, raither than look for profit. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

No and I don't believe it should be on air. Undermines the appearance of secularism regarding the State and gives the Unionists jitters about reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ned78 wrote:
    we may be a multicultural country, but it's our country. one that our ancestors fought long and hard for.
    'OMG!!! that's racist'
    no it's not. shut the **** up.

i don't agree that religion should 'be dropped' as you put it.
    plenty of people gain solace and comfort from their beliefs. you may not believe in god, but these people do and it helps many through hard times.
    i don't believe in god, but i have no problem with the beliefs of other people.

as for the angelus; it should be dropped because it annoys the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

*rubs eyes*

Surely this cant be happening? A boards thread entioning something to do with the catholic church, and not one person has yet embarrased themselves by waffling on about how they are sooooo angry that their parents baptised them into the evil church without their consent, and then go into a 30 page rant about how much they hate a religion that has had absoloutely no impact, positive or negative, on their lives thus far.

As for should it stay, I dont know/care. I suppose its slightly better than the news being preceded by "The RTE 6 O Clock news is brought to you in association with Eircom/Hibernian/NTL yada yadda yadda"

Advertisement