Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tocco Lite

Options
  • 30-06-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has this phone and what they think of it?

Seems fairly cheap for a touch screen (€119.99) on Meteor PAYG upgrade - are there any real problems with it?

Currently using a SE we910i (until I went swimming with it) and that suits me perfectly for what I use (calls, texts, the odd photo and google maps/facebook). Ideally I would like a phone with wifi, but they all seem too expensive

Can anyone suggest a better phone for similar money - need to stay on Meteor prepay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ok so I'm going to order either this or the LG Cookie, anyone have any preference for either?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Personally i would prefer the samsung. The tocco has a better battery life, other than that i dont think much difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

My dad got one for €10 as an upgrade from vodafone and I thought it was great. I would love if I had that phone but I just spent €100 on a sony ericson.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I got a tocca free on vodafone upgrade and I have it about a month now, the first few weeks were awful as the touchscreen element was hard to get used to and I think half the problem was the fact I used Nokia for years so was used to their layouts. It does take a lot of practice to get used to it.

However I am now a lot more used to it and I think its a viable cheaper alternative to the iphone and I really have taken to it. I think its a decent phone and will even look at Samsung in future for an upgrade rather than the usual Nokia which was ALWAYS my first choice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

the Viewty has also dropped in price, it's well worth the extra few quid..

the Viewty has also dropped in price, it's well worth the extra few quid..
    Is it really? What is better about it, all that I can see is it has a good camera?

It's 3G so the internet will be a lot quicker, the 5mp camera also shoots slow motion video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAXxf5FhIU&feature=related , it's also a pretty hardy phone, it can survive the odd knock, i've had one for about a year and a half and it's still going strong...

I'd compare the Tocco lite to the cookie and the Viewty to the iphone..

It's 3G so the internet will be a lot quicker, the 5mp camera also shoots slow motion video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAXxf5FhIU&feature=related , it's also a pretty hardy phone, it can survive the odd knock, i've had one for about a year and a half and it's still going strong...

I'd compare the Tocco lite to the cookie and the Viewty to the iphone..
    What is the user interface like on it? Is it slow or anything?

it's no too slow, i've never had a complaints, it's not as quick as the iphone but it's a 1/4 of the price, and has some better features... for €150 you can't really go 2 wrong...

• Advertisement

I think i'm going to buy the Viewty so, would everyone agree that it is the best of these 3 phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Agree, not a fan of LG tbh
    Davy wrote: »
    Personally i would prefer the samsung. The tocco has a better battery life, other than that i dont think much difference between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Only couple of minor grumbles with my Tocco. The fact you cant delete sms contacts that you have sent to, and the fact when the battery gets down to the last bar, it takes no time at all before its no bars and off! Particularly annoying when finally finishing off an epic length text. Saying that, the battery is one of the best I have had.

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Agree, not a fan of LG tbh
    Was never a fan of LG either, but only ever had their budget phones, Viewty seems to get good reviews everywhere

Got to use both these phones and went for the Tocco in the end, main reasons were it was smaller, battery is apparently better, cheaper and it supports a bigger memory card. Also the usb cable and headphones come in the box but don't with the Viewty, making it fairly useless as an mp3 player. Preferred the interface too

Only advantages of the Viewty were a better camera and 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I'm thinking of getting a new phone and I like the look of the Tocco Lite. I was just wondering though, how durable is it. I'd be outdoors a lot with dirty hands etc, would that damage a touch screen phone much or are they easy enough to clean if they do get dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've sold about 70 of the Tocco Lites in the last month and not one has come back with any issues yet. Seems to be very reliable and very good spec for the price. Much more responsive touch screen, and better widgets, than the LG Viewty/Cookie.

Plus it's borderline insulting to compare the Viewty to the iPhone. There's no comparison in terms of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I'm considering getting one of these, so I had a bit of a look see at one of these chaps in a shop, and tried to write a text with predictive dictionary on; it was pretty damn laggy to type stuff in. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible to make it lag less by fiddling with any settings? The non-predictive texting seemed to be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conflusstered

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Only couple of minor grumbles with my Tocco. The fact you cant delete sms contacts that you have sent to, and the fact when the battery gets down to the last bar, it takes no time at all before its no bars and off! Particularly annoying when finally finishing off an epic length text. Saying that, the battery is one of the best I have had.

I bought the samsung tocco light the other day, i was in the same predicament and didnt know wat fone to go for. I love it. Except for the fact that you cant see smiley faces in ur texts. U can use and view them as brackets and dots etc but not as little yellow cartoon heads makin an expresion, would any1 know if you can download this onto ur phone or am i pretty much stuck with this non-smiley face phone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lads, was texting away on my tocco lite last night when all of a sudden, when reading a new text, the writing size went way bigger. Very odd seeing as i had'nt been messing with any settings or anything! Not so much of a problem but I prefered it when the writing was smaller. Anyone else noticed this? Maybe just an update from meteor or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Lads, was texting away on my tocco lite last night when all of a sudden, when reading a new text, the writing size went way bigger. Very odd seeing as i had'nt been messing with any settings or anything! Not so much of a problem but I prefered it when the writing was smaller. Anyone else noticed this? Maybe just an update from meteor or something?

If it's the same as the Ultra you've accidentally pressed volume up key while reading. ;)

I bought the samsung tocco light the other day, i was in the same predicament and didnt know wat fone to go for. I love it. Except for the fact that you cant see smiley faces in ur texts. U can use and view them as brackets and dots etc but not as little yellow cartoon heads makin an expresion, would any1 know if you can download this onto ur phone or am i pretty much stuck with this non-smiley face phone...?

Your stuck, unless you want to start using MMS.

JustinOval wrote: »
    If it's the same as the Ultra you've accidentally pressed volume up key while reading. ;)

Thanks a million, i must have done. Already back to normal!:D

BTW, that could be handy reading messages when i'm drunk!:)

Thanks a million, i must have done. Already back to normal!:D

BTW, that could be handy reading messages when i'm drunk!:)

Reading messages when drunk is fine, replying should be blocked somehow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hi,

Thinking about getting one of these - have a few questions.

I had the Ultra Touch & sold it as the screen was not wide enough to be a touch screen in my opinion, had to keep tapping to get a message etc.

Is this wider screen any easier to use?

Also, my favorite feature on a phone is FM Radio Recording as I like to record a song off the radio if one comes on that I like or even sometimes record FM 104 chat show and listen to it the next day :)

So can anyone tell me if the Tocco Lite has FM Radio Recording.

The last three Samsungs I had did .. (Ultra Touch, G600, J700i)

Cheers,

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Hey everyone,

I bought the Tocco lite the other day and i have to say i've really falling in love with it!! I was Nokia all the way.. but decided to try something else and i really really like this phone.. I have one likkle problem though... if anyone can help I'd really appreaciate it.. i've been through the phone inside out (at least i think i have!!) but for the life of me i can't find how the hell to turn off my caller id!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Anyone??? :D

Nico22 wrote: »
    Also, my favorite feature on a phone is FM Radio Recording as I like to record a song off the radio if one comes on that I like or even sometimes record FM 104 chat show and listen to it the next day :)

So can anyone tell me if the Tocco Lite has FM Radio Recording.

The last three Samsungs I had did .. (Ultra Touch, G600, J700i)

Cheers,

Nic

Had a look earlier and i couldnt find any recording option to be honest!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I presume these can be unlocked fairly easily? I'm with meteor but I much prefer the white one on vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Had a look earlier and i couldnt find any recording option to be honest!

Hi,

The record option on the Ultra Touch, G600 and J700 etc only appears when you have the headset attached and are tuned to a station - then it in would be when you select options at that stage.

Cheers for checking though ..

The Samsung Jet also has it so may wait and get that ..

Nic

• Advertisement

I presume these can be unlocked fairly easily? I'm with meteor but I much prefer the white one on vodafone.

Me too! Too late now though!:)
    Nico22 wrote: »
    Hi,

The record option on the Ultra Touch, G600 and J700 etc only appears when you have the headset attached and are tuned to a station - then in would be in options.

Cheers for checking though ..

In the Tocco Lite, the radio only works when the headset is attached. Had another look and still no sign of a recording option!. I'll give the manual a look!

Advertisement