Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Spider Specimen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

doyly wrote:
    Jesus Christ i hate spiders, and having been away from boards for a while im regretting returning since this is the first thread i`ve read. If that huge spider was any where near me i think i would freeze............

Crap i wont sleep tonight. :(

Crap factory!! Same here. Dunno why I clicked onto this thread, at least I didnt look at the photos. Although that probably only gives my imagination free reign to make up whatever the hell it likes as i sleep. :eek:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't know why, but for some reason, some of the replies in this thread have caused me much distress, as I couldn't stop laughing!

Spider valuables indeed, and playing Xboxes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He might crawl into your brain whilst you sleep, and before you know it, he'll have planted dozens of little slimy eggs, and will crawl out again. You'll start getting headaches, light headed, extreme migranes, until one day you will start bleeding from the nose, the ear, and the eye, as they squeeze out of you, pulsating maggots swarming over your face amid a storm of flowing blood and gore.

lmao, good call :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

These are not foreign spiders, they are yard spiders (mostly found in sheds, garages etc.) but because of the large supply of other insects in your house (mostly silverfish) they can now grow quicker than normal. I'd say that the spider in the OP is a female yard spider cos female spiders are bigger then male spiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Whats silverfish?

• Advertisement

Ever see these small silver narrow insects running around your floor at night (mostly found on bathroom floors), they are silverfish they were actuly around since the dinosaurs beleive it or not and they can live one whole year without eating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Optimus wrote:
    Whats silverfish?
    Little crawly feckers that hide under lino and carpets... they look like little silver turds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

dmck2886 wrote:
    Ever see these small silver narrow insects running around your floor at night (mostly found on bathroom floors), they are silverfish they were actuly around since the dinosaurs beleive it or not and they can live one whole year without eating!!
    Do they by any chacne live in carpets?
    Cause iv noticed in my house that wooden floored rooms have less spiders than carpeted ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Why are they called silverfish ?

Optimus wrote:
    Do they by any chacne live in carpets?
    Cause iv noticed in my house that wooden floored rooms have less spiders than carpeted ones.

Id say so but I don't have any carpets in my house so Im not really sure, all I know is that I have found them in every room in my house so I don't mind keeping one or two spiders around to keep there population down.

• Advertisement

Here's what they look like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I had one of them feckers last night too it came out from behind my monitor but I have to say they don't really bother me I just catch em in a glass and out the window it goes. No need to kill them as they help keep the flies under control and I do hate them filthy yokes.
    The reason they are so visible now is because it's their mating season and they are on the prowl looking for teh sex :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I`m not frightened of spiders, why did you have to kill it?, could a piece of paper and a glass have done. I prefer spiders to those pesky flies that are every where.

The first few i found last year I caught and released outside, because I didn't like killing them, but once it became an infestation my compassion rapidly waned.

And I can safely say I've never seen one of those silverfish in the house, we don't even get many flies, though that's presumably not surprising given the size and quality of our many 8-legged pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I'm a bit weird on the topic of spiders, you see i'm fine with tarantulas, i own one, but if i was near one of those smaller spiders like the one in the picture i would freakout, i'm terrified of them

I really wouldn't live in your situation with loads of them around, pest control would have been called a long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Geiger wrote:
    Why are they called silverfish ?

Because they are such ferocious predators they have been known to eat whole fish at a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

jayzuz.. those silverfish would freak me out more than the spider. Sneaky wee buggers by the looks of it.

Spiders are OK in my book. Living breathing pest control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Wtf kind of a spider is that

That, my friend, is a Wolf Spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i hate them buggers with a passion...nothin else bothers me except spiders...
    although is is by far the most interesting thread I've read in a long time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

jesus dude, that is one bad mo fo spider you had to deal with, i'd just hope that their mate isn't hiding in some corner after witnessing the carnage that you inflicted on its other half. Waiting. waiting ...... :)

so if i was you i think I'd have to clean out the room or something. about a year ago i was just lying in bed, drifting off to sleep, there was some light shining in from the hall and I luckily caught sight of this beast crawling along the bed toward me. ffs I let his family live in peace behind the wardrobe & he had to come out and p*ss me off.

its only been in the last 2 years I've noticed that the spiders have really gone through a growth spurt - any chance its to do with the warmer summers - 2003 was the best summer for a long time and it was then I noticed the really big guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Hes an impressive beasty. The second pic makes him look huge!.

Heres the biggest one Ive ever encountered in my house (while Ive had a camera at the ready)

spidey 1

spidey 2

spidey deadened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I feel a lot better now knowing it's not just me who's finding a lot of spiders. The pictures of the OP look like the one's I find, I'm getting about 2 a night, they just sit there in the middle of the kitchen looking up at you.

I had the same all through last winter then they disappeared for a few months, but now there back again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

They are getting bigger because as pointed out before they are outdoor spiders coming indoors for the abundance of food. Also spiders tend to come indoor more in the winter, hence why you see more.

I used to live in Sydney, one you had a few days of rain you were guarenteed to see a few big lads around the house. Noting mental generally just a few huntsmen which are hugh but harmless, but we had a funnel web once. that scared the bejesus out of us all

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

spiders are cool, they eat flys, which, as far as im concerned are alot more anoying.

but i wouldn't like one crawing accross my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I think the "humane" people who decide to put them outside inadvertently end up killing them too as they aren't used to the cold conditions of outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I never really see any spiders in my house. I have two dogs and thats probably the reason why. However my sister started screaming last night saying she saw the biggest spider ever dart across the floor. If i see anything like what the OP had in my house i'll call in pest control. I hate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

orla wrote:
    I never really see any spiders in my house

Lucky you! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

magpie wrote:
    That, my friend, is a Wolf Spider.
    Wolf spider? Jaysus they just had to make it sound even more intimidating didnt they? I bet if it was called the fluffly kitten spider everyone would love it.
    Sligtly off topic, but i ad a giant moth in my room the other night, massive fu(ker, was so big that you heard it flying before you saw it. I walloped it with a shoe, but when i went to finish it off it had disappeared!!
    Rumour has it you can still hear it, late at night, howling in the moonlight, trying to ensnare anyone unlucky enough to cross the path of...THE GHOST MOTH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Hmmm so the spiders eat the silverfish? dont like either of them but at least the spiders stay out of my bed. Also they dont seem to come out in pairs like the silverfish - if I find one you can bet theres usually another to be found hiding under the duvet or pillow, waiting to crawl into my ear when I doze off.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thought i'd add my picture to the collection. Found this cute little fellow in the middle of the floor, sitting there doing nothing. I reckon his size from leg to leg was about 3 to 4 inchs. God bless the Golden Pages.

***WARNING: Viewing this picture may result in sleepless nights***

Spider.JPG complimants to my Fuji S7000

Advertisement