Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The mighty McDonald on Second Captains live on RTE 2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Came across really really well and reinforced all the stories I'd heard about him being a gentleman.
    Met him once or twice when we both younger too. Legend !

Also spot on what he said about forwards recycling the ball to get it to tier best shooter to beat the blanket.
    I made the point Sunday that mayo were recycling it Sunday but had no one player good enough to take on the long ange shot then with Cillian out !

Super guy McDonald .....we could do with him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Really interesting to hear his thoughts on the 'modern game'. Great to hear from someone who isn't on the TV or radio every other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, I think the blanket defence would suit Mayo. Some would agree that you guys could do with some more scoring forwards. Possibly just optimise the ones you have.
    In a blanket defense to copy Donegal a little, O'Conner could be a McBrearty, AOS as an Michael Murphy, B Moran as a target man, your half back line breaking on the counter like only they can, the extra lads back could help out an issue I think you have at number 3.

It would have been nice to see something more radical form the mayo management team so far this year.
    The sort of changes we saw in Donegal in 2011, and Dublin in 2010, it really took both management teams to do some housekeeping, and change things up, Donegal dropped Cassidy, big calls started in the league the year before AIs were won.
    Really I think Horans management team was very good but we're a little slow on the line to spot that Dublin were there for the taking I 2013.

Maybe the new set up would being this to how table.

Still baffled by that vital moment in that game. Not the COC late free but that ridiculous move leaving Higgins on the injured O'Gara.

Only seen the cracking interview with McDonald on Second Captains. A sound man. Would love to see him involved with the Mayo set up again some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Diarmuid O'Connor kicked some beauties the last day and he's probably a bit fitter than Andy so I wouldn't panic regarding the forwards. Maybe Evan Regan could play a role as an impact sub in the summer aswell?

One thing that's troubled me towards the end of the league has been Mayo's defensive performances. Not aggressive enough stepping up and pressing the ball in the danger areas. Maybe that's a sign that the team is jaded, after all we saw Higgins and co. put in some dire defensive performances in previous leagues only to find a new lease of life in the summer.

Bottom line is I like Connelly, very genuine man and I feel if he gets the balance right on the sideline and on the pitch then Mayo will remain serious contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Diarmuid O'Connor kicked some beauties the last day and he's probably a bit fitter than Andy so I wouldn't panic regarding the forwards. Maybe Evan Regan could play a role as an impact sub in the summer aswell?

One thing that's troubled me towards the end of the league has been Mayo's defensive performances. Not aggressive enough stepping up and pressing the ball in the danger areas. Maybe that's a sign that the team is jaded, after all we saw Higgins and co. put in some dire defensive performances in previous leagues only to find a new lease of life in the summer.

Bottom line is I like Connelly, very genuine man and I feel if he gets the balance right on the sideline and on the pitch then Mayo will remain serious contenders.
    Evan Regan needs to be starting. Have you seen how bad our right sided free taking has been thoughtout the league? Regan is the only proper left footed free taker.
    The defense has been quite solid overall. We kept Cork and Donegal to fairly low scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Still baffled by that vital moment in that game. Not the COC late free but that ridiculous move leaving Higgins on the injured O'Gara.

Only seen the cracking interview with McDonald on Second Captains. A sound man. Would love to see him involved with the Mayo set up again some day.

He did not look comfortable doing the interview so fair f1ucks to him doing.
    Didn't think he was 40 to be honest I'd still have him on the team even if he got 10 mins a game his presence alone would be worth a point or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, I think the blanket defence would suit Mayo. Some would agree that you guys could do with some more scoring forwards. Possibly just optimise the ones you have.
    In a blanket defense to copy Donegal a little, O'Conner could be a McBrearty, AOS as an Michael Murphy, B Moran as a target man, your half back line breaking on the counter like only they can, the extra lads back could help out an issue I think you have at number 3.

It would have been nice to see something more radical form the mayo management team so far this year.
    The sort of changes we saw in Donegal in 2011, and Dublin in 2010, it really took both management teams to do some housekeeping, and change things up, Donegal dropped Cassidy, big calls started in the league the year before AIs were won.
    Really I think Horans management team was very good but were a little slow on the line to spot that Dublin were there for the taking I 2013.

Maybe the new set up would being this to how table.

Dublin were there for the taking? That sounds like trying to rewrite history to suit one particular view point. After all the injuries, Dublin were certainly vulnerable, but Mayo only scored once from play, in the entire second half of the game. You can't put 100% of the blame on the side line for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not rewriting history. IMHO Mayo never looked like they were going to win that day , but at the end of the match O'Carrol didn't know what day it was, O'Gara couldn't move but they left a player on him. They only lost by a point. They never capitalised on the events at the end of the game. That's the extent of the blame I place on the line, never said it was 100% their fault. But they took no action in the last ten minutes. We all knew OGara was knackered.
    Much like the Dubs the year before waiting too long to move MDMA back to midfield, I'd say the same about the Dubs failure to act in time, Mayo still won in 2012 and the Dubs won in 2013 but on both cases I think that swifter action, or just action from the line might have impacted the final result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

naughto wrote: »
    He did not look comfortable doing the interview so fair f1ucks to him doing.
    Didn't think he was 40 to be honest I'd still have him on the team even if he got 10 mins a game his presence alone would be worth a point or two.
    Just watched that interview on rte player.

Very impressed with Ciaran McDonald.

I though he came across as a down to earth fella that loves his football.

Thanks for some great memories in the Green and Red.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Heard from a likely reliable source that Cillian O Connor should be back in 2-3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

seligehgit wrote: »
    Heard from a likely reliable source that Cillian O Connor should be back in 2-3 weeks.

We really do need him back for the likely opener in Salthill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How's Evan Regan progressing?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    How's Evan Regan progressing?

Sorry but I'm not privy to that information.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Sorry but I'm not privy to that information.:)

According to this article http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235425 Regan is fit again and has joined the Mayo team in Portugal for the Training Camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

KMFCross wrote: »
    According to this article http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235425 Regan is fit again and has joined the Mayo team in Portugal for the Training Camp

Hopefully Regan does not believe all that is in the article or he will miss the game.

It's the 14th of June not the 21st that it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Lads, is anyone having trouble with attendance on the season tickets? I have been marked as not attending both of the last two HOME games even though I attended. I have emailed the office and they have been really unhelpful saying there has been no reported scanner issue and so they will not change my attendance status. My fathers ticket is the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

tacofries wrote: »
    Lads, is anyone having trouble with attendance on the season tickets? I have been marked as not attending both of the last two HOME games even though I attended. I have emailed the office and they have been really unhelpful saying there has been no reported scanner issue and so they will not change my attendance status. My fathers ticket is the exact same.

We had heard that there was a problem on one of the stiles at the Donegal match. Some peoples season tickets were not scanned correctly. They all got sorted the following Wednesday I think, after Castlebar reported a problem with one of the scanners. A lot stricter this year now, you have to report it within 10 days of the match and they will only entertain you if there was a problem reported from the match venue. If not then it seems to be tough luck :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LadyShelly

I've an adult and two juvenile dublin season tickets, one failed to record my attendance in Killarney and now all three tickets weren't acknowledged in Monaghan!!! I've emailed them straight after the game on the Monday! Emails going back and forward to no avail, I'm at the end of my tether now and really angry over they gaa lack of responsibility over this. Is there anything else I can do????

I am hearing that Regan broke his collarbone again during training on tuesday night. :(

I am hearing that Regan broke his collarbone again during training on tuesday night. :(

Yeah heard the same thing yesterday.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Man he is having a bad run of it...

Keeps going like this and he will have to take up snooker :D

Surely there will be a couple of challenge games coming up over the next few weeks. Anyone know of any coming up. Usually a good place to see the team particularly when the little lad is with me and security is low :D:D

Yeah just announced on newstalk news there now. He will miss 12 weeks ruling him out of all the Connacht championship.

Is it the same bone again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is it the same bone again?

apparently, must have come back a little too early.

Such a balls as we need someone new to take a share of the workload. I was hoping he would offer something new to Mayo this year but its hard to see him making an impact this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Well done to the Rossies yesterday. It can only be good for Connacht Football!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

If Carlsberg did championship build ups. People talking about Galway being the dark horses this year and the Rossies already talking about finding ways to deal with the Dubs in the semi final. Looks like John Evans is happy to draw all the attention and pressure onto himself and his players for the next few weeks.
    A nice low key build up to Salthill, no real pressure this year and then we'll see who's who in Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Rawhead wrote: »
    If Carlsberg did championship build ups. People talking about Galway being the dark horses this year and the Rossies already talking about finding ways to deal with the Dubs in the semi final. Looks like John Evans is happy to draw all the attention and pressure onto himself and his players for the next few weeks.
    A nice low key build up to Salthill, no real pressure this year and then we'll see who's who in Connacht.

Pressure? It ain't us going for five in a row and who would have a home Conancht final if we got there.

For H&C it's AI or bust, everyone in Ireland knew it when they were appointed. So no pressure or anything, Rawhead. And low-key.. haha. Good luck on that one.

Syferus wrote: »
    Pressure? It ain't us going for five in a row and who would have a home Conancht final if we got there.

For H&C it's AI or bust, everyone in Ireland knew it when they were appointed. So no pressure or anything, Rawhead. And low-key.. haha. Good luck on that one.

I don't think the majority of people in Mayo expect to win the AI this year, nor do the majority of people outside it. The only county in Connacht talking about All Ireland's this year is Roscommon. It seems that in John Evans you have finally found someone as delusional as yourselves with regards notions of grandeur.
    I just hope Sligo don't derail your plans to give the Dubs a lesson in football, be a shame to see all those straw hats having to be put away before August as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don't think the majority of people in Mayo expect to win the AI this year, nor do the majority of people outside it. The only county in Connacht talking about All Ireland's this year is Roscommon. It seems that in John Evans you have finally found someone as delusional as yourselves with regards notions of grandeur.
    I just hope Sligo don't derail your plans to give the Dubs a lesson in football, be a shame to see all those straw hats having to be put away before August as usual.

You'd be more at home at Hogan Stand.

Most Mayo lads are totally sound, but there's always a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DragonBourne

Mayo for SAM!!!

Mayo for SAM!!!
    You forgot the 2015 part, it's starting to get confusing.

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Well done to the Rossies yesterday. It can only be good for Connacht Football!
    Whatever you think yourself!!

If there was a Division 5, I'd be praying themselves and Galway would get relegated to it!:cool:

Poor Galway and Roscommon sides have done no harm whatsoever to Mayo football over the past decade or so in the context of the national stage, which is what most of us around here really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boosabum

In all fairness to Evans, he spoke about being in a position to challenge for an AI in 2-3 years times. Any team that remains and plays division 1 football for a 2 to 3 year period would feel the same.

boosabum wrote: »
    In all fairness to Evans, he spoke about being in a position to challenge for an AI in 2-3 years times. Any team that remains and plays division 1 football for a 2 to 3 year period would feel the same.

He also said that he had looked at every other team and that they'll all have key players finishing up while they continued to get better. For his logic to work then

1. No other team in Ireland will have any new players over the next few years, are all going to stagnate and will roll over for the Rossies.
    2. He's predicting that they'll still be playing Div 1 football in 2/3 years. Getting to Div 1 is the easy part, staying there is much harder.
    3. All this underage promise has resulted in zero silverware.

Our 2013 AI winning minor panel are just now starting to enter the fray. A shocking 14 of the panel have had operations or were out for over a year with injuries due to dubious training methods that year. I expect a few of these lads might object to Johns views. Conor Loftus in particular is being talked about as the true heir to his Crossmolina club mates number 11 jersey and he has been out for 2 years. That's just our progression, never mind the rest of Div 1's teams.
    I respect Roscommon's winning Div 2&3, if you win Connacht this year and are still in Div 1 this time next year, then I think people might take ye serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He also said that he had looked at every other team and that they'll all have key players finishing up while they continued to get better. For his logic to work then

1. No other team in Ireland will have any new players over the next few years, are all going to stagnate and will roll over for the Rossies.
    2. He's predicting that they'll still be playing Div 1 football in 2/3 years. Getting to Div 1 is the easy part, staying there is much harder.
    3. All this underage promise has resulted in zero silverware.

Our 2013 AI winning minor panel are just now starting to enter the fray. A shocking 14 of the panel have had operations or were out for over a year with injuries due to dubious training methods that year. I expect a few of these lads might object to Johns views. Conor Loftus in particular is being talked about as the true heir to his Crossmolina club mates number 11 jersey and he has been out for 2 years. That's just our progression, never mind the rest of Div 1's teams.
    I respect Roscommon's winning Div 2&3, if you win Connacht this year and are still in Div 1 this time next year, then I think people might take ye serious.

In fairness having read that article I don't think Evans was predicting more using the if word which for the outsiders looking in is a big if. Though is it any harm to aim high when the talent is there? If they stay in div one for a few years it can only improve them Monaghan have rose from div 3 in 2013 and now regarded as top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No it's not.
    They have a lot of work to do to refresh this team, if All Ireland success come in 0215 good and well, we'll take it :), but I'd be giving them until this time next year to seriously make any call on them.

As for Roscommon, as I said in another thread I think if they have Galway in a Connacht Final then they may win it, but it will be in Galway I assume so that will not help.

I don't think they will be good enough for Mayo in Castlebar though if that is the final match-up.
    At that stage Mayo will have the real banana skin out of the way and will be looking to a QF and beyond.

Ros will have it tough after that, a B side 4thd round qualifier, possibly v Ulster team and then a possible QF v Ulster champs.
    Ros have had their fair share of qualifiers against nordies this last few years

• Advertisement

The amount of press Roscommon get on this Mayo thread makes me smile. I was at Hyde Park to watch the Meath game and Roscommon were distinctly average. We should have beaten them quite easily. Yes, they can hurt you on the break but only if you're poorly organised. Down are a better team and I would give them a much stronger chance of staying up next year.

I wouldn't disrespect Johny Evans. His positivity is a major factor behind the success that tends to follow him. We had the opportunity to appoint Graham Geraghty and Evans as a management team in 2013 and we turned them down. Chances are we would be playing Division 1 football by this stage, hindsight being 20/20 etc. Dream big!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

HighKing33 wrote: »
    The amount of press Roscommon get on this Mayo thread makes me smile. I was at Hyde Park to watch the Meath game and Roscommon were distinctly average. We should have beaten them quite easily. Yes, they can hurt you on the break but only if you're poorly organised. Down are a better team and I would give them a much stronger chance of staying up next year.

I wouldn't disrespect Johny Evans. His positivity is a major factor behind the success that tends to follow him. We had the opportunity to appoint Graham Geraghty and Evans as a management team in 2013 and we turned them down. Chances are we would be playing Division 1 football by this stage, hindsight being 20/20 etc. Dream big!

Maybe Roscommon were distinctly average on the day yet still managed to beat Meath. Down on the other hand were well beaten at home by Meath and lost twice to Roscommon I'm not sure how you reckon they are a better team.

Division one has the top six sides Dublin Kerry Cork Donegal Mayo Monaghan the chances of Down or Roscommon staying up is slim but if one was I would fancy the rossies more than Down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good to see Syferus back on the Mayo thread again ;) Must be Championship time and chance for the Rossies to derail Mayo.

No one expects Mayo to win an AI this year, so thats mad talk. And definitely not bust for the 2 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 51longago

Vast majority of Mayo supporters think we will not be in an asses roar of all Ireland final day this year...so ai or bust for the two lads is just a nonsense.

Low key " haha" you say , sorry to disappoint but that's all it is this year , very low key, no expectations. For the first time in a while it's all about Roscommon and Galway to a lesser degree. It's so low key I think for the first time in my lifetime Galway will outnumber the Mayo support and boy god your lot will if we did pull off a win in salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It might change in the years ahead but as of now Mayo are the only All Ireland contender in Connacht and are odds on to win another provincial title this July. When James Horan was appointed Mayo manager in Autumn 2010 expectations were low the county were at a crossroads and if London had held on to win in 2011 who knows where Mayo seniors would stand now?

Mayo went from strength after Horans first season he has raised the bar very high and expectations now is winning another Connacht title and reach All Ireland semi final at least. For new management that is pressure but its pressure that I expect an experienced and seasoned Mayo panel to handle this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 51longago

Just better off if we accepted its a practice year at this stage , blood as many of the inexperienced players as possible.Defeat in salt hill no biggy, a good game or two in the qualifiers and a good rest till training resumes for 2016 league campaign .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

km79 wrote: »
    51longago wrote: »
    Just better off if we accepted its a practice year at this stage , blood as many of the inexperienced players as possible.Defeat in salt hill no biggy, a good game or two in the qualifiers and a good rest till training resumes for 2016 league campaign .

While we aren't as hopeful coming into this campaign, as we have been in the last few, it's well worth noting that the squad is still intact. It was only last August that we could have and should have reached an All-Ireland final.

It is obvious that both Galway and Roscommon are improving, the fact is we are still favourites to win Connacht.

I think it's hard to predict where Mayo will end up this summer but I've seen enough over the last few years to believe we are capable of beating anyone on our day, and if Galway beat us June 14th they will have earned it, only five weeks away!

There's an interview with Robbie Hennelly about failure in sport coming up sometime before 12 on RTE Radio 1.

There's an interview with Robbie Hennelly about failure in sport coming up sometime before 12 on RTE Radio 1.

The Mayo football team are RTE Sport's favourite whipping boys. If I was Connelly I'd be telling my players to stay the hell away from features, particularly ones of that nature! :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement