Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

• 27-09-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Shall I begin? The fact that the reading list for my course is located in both the James Joyce and Health Science libraries. Trekking is unfun.

Tempermental self check scanners in the libo. Grim.

The lack of food options is starting to grate a little too.

Please Continue!

Mod Note: This thread is for cathartic ranting about stuff that annoys you. People replying to rants to complain about peoples complaints will earn an infraction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

1. People who insist on 'saving seats' for their buddy in the Daedalus computer centre when it's already full to capacity

2. The one obnoxious mature student who intends on telling the lecturer they're wrong... about everything

3. Group project Nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The person who keeps asking questions at the end of lectures, despite everyone else gagging to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lack of cheap food options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People beating the sh1t out of the spacebar when typing in a lecture/library/anywhere.

People who throw down their bag on the desk in the library then open it and throw books/laptops/keys/water etc. out of the bag onto the desk.

People who can't put a chair back under a table in the library quietly without the 'DING!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

The fact that science no longer have a restaurant and a sandwich costs 4.50 in conway.

The new f****** printing system! Why the hell are most the printing resources given over to first years? No offence but there's a lot more of us 2nd/3rd/4th/5th years! I think it's a disgrace that they expect us to pay anything towards a new student card. They changed the system they fix the fallout. Simple really.

Nine o clock lectures when you have an hour and a half commute in.

5 hour blocks of labs and lectures without food!

Lab reports (just in general)

Wow. That made me feel better. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

My student card seems to have the lolz deciding if it feels like working on those library scanner tolls. Morto when theres a queue behind ya and it won't scan :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The fact that science no longer have a restaurant and a sandwich costs 4.50 in conway.

You mean €3.89, or €5 with a hot drink, right? Because that's how much i pay from sandwiches from Conway.

Ontopic: Freshers who haven't realised that some people are here to do some goddamned work, and insist on milling aimlessly around in my way. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

just bring ham sambos and tayto into college with ya. maybe an oul bottle of cadet if the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

The UCD Centra's Deli is well worth trying. More variety and lower prices than that Kylemore shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

People who walk f**king slow, i walk faster than that when im not in a rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

• People who announce statements instead of asking questions in lectures.
    • People who play music. anywhere. Buy headphones.
    • People who leave their rubbish on tables. You're not 6.
    • People who ask me to vote for X in Y election but fail to give me any reasons what so ever for doing so other than "ah gowaaan it's me mate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

The wifi in Belgrove won't work in my bedroom, so I can only use it in the kitchen.....how will I do assignments/research? :mad:

No, SISWeb, the problem has NOT been resolved.

Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

EmilyO wrote: »
    The wifi in Belgrove won't work in my bedroom, so I can only use it in the kitchen.....how will I do assignments/research? :mad:
    If you have an ethernet port in your room you can just use that, and it's way faster/better than the Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

._. wrote: »
    If you have an ethernet port in your room you can just use that, and it's way faster/better than the Wi-Fi.

UCD Campus don't have those, just in case he goes looking for one in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

Will wrote: »
    The person who keeps asking questions at the end of lectures, despite everyone else gagging to leave.

Get used to that in Nursing! In my year we dubbed someone "question lady".

She was a lady, who asked lots of questions. We just wanted to get lunch.

That UCard thing is a load of balls anyways. So if you didn't get a new student card at the start of the year you have to pay for a new shiney one in order to use the photocopiers?! Loada cak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Riveta wrote: »
    That UCard thing is a load of balls anyways. So if you didn't get a new student card at the start of the year you have to pay for a new shiney one in order to use the photocopiers?! Loada cak!

Well people did have the option to get a new one for free, in fairness it was advertised. A friend of mine was shocked at the lack of a queue when he picked up his.

My main irritation is with people that just don't make any effort and want everything handed on a plate to them. Whether that be in lectures, programme offices etc. I got so fed up with people in my class not making any effort to help themselves.

Theres actually a little mini deli thing in the physics building (bottom floor) now. Haven't bought anything but they have these massive delish looking cookies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Uh, well I have one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

risenbass wrote: »
    People who walk f**king slow, i walk faster than that when im not in a rush

This^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

• Very limited food options
    • SIS
    • Blackboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I've warned people sitting beside me that repeated question asking at the end of lectures will result in an elbow to the ribs. Most people are fairly sound about it though thankfully.

blackboard is a pain in the cojones also as someone said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

lol at that. We had "the quizmaster" in first year science. Possibly the most annoying thing ever class before lunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

._. wrote: »
    Uh, well I have one..

Which res? :\ I certainly didn't see any in belgrove when I was in there last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

- Lack of healthy food despite Centra's effort at introducing some.
    - People who use public (SUAS) computers to go on FB
    - Those who put the volume of their headphones to the max in the lib
    - Having one course in Roebuck Castle and have 5min only to go to another course in the Ag Building
    - People who stand right in front of the lib door to have deep conversations (like step over!)
    - Lack of Internet access in Roebuck Castle rooms
    - The guy who asks so-called-philosophical-questions in every lecture
    - Selfish people (during revision week) who just put their computer and bag on a lib table so they can save their seat and then head out for hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

MacieC wrote: »
    People who use public computers to go on FB

That one in particular is really getting to me atm. I think they should block access to it on the SUAS pcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

She didn't go looking in vain, she knew there wasn't one

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

• Lecturers who constantly ask easy questions to see if the class is paying attention and then they wait for like 5 minutes for someone to answer it.
    • The 17 bus.
    • When you have a practical which requires the use of laptops and the lab has about 5 plugs between everyone.
    • The mountain of flyers in each lecture theatre.
    • When you travel all the way in for one lecture to find out its being cancelled 5 minutes before its about to start. (Granted its not always the case that prior warning can be given!)
    • When a demonstrator in the course doesn't know the course material.
    • When lecturers/other people do up notes they pick stupid colours which make the notes hard to read. E.G. Bright green background with bright yellow text.
    Ha this is making me sound like a moaner :D

The idiot who decided to sprawl out on the seating in the arts block today and go for a snooze while everyone else was looking for a seat during lunch rush hour. Selfish asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

The girls in the row behind me who whisper loudly about their weekend in the middle of the lecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Siuin wrote: »
    The idiot who decided to sprawl out on the seating in the arts block today and go for a snooze while everyone else was looking for a seat during lunch rush hour. Selfish asshole.

You could, you know, wake him up and ask him to move :pac:

:P I'm not a very confrontational person- awkward situation is awkward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

I'm not even a student there anymore but I do research from time to time and I still feel inclined to make a big rant:
    • The theatres. Why do the ones in science seem ok while the ones in Arts are at 1000 degrees? Ventilation seems to be a new concept to UCD.
    • The people who think that the computer sections in the library are somehow the place to go to have conversations. And browse facebook for 6 hours while there's a queue.
    • The 18 year olds who've discovered perfume and insist on bathing in it. And it's not even nice perfume. What the hell is that stuff anyway...
    • The librarians. I'm mystified as to what any of them above the ground floor actually do. Apart from slam doors and have a good pension. If you take the space taken up by their cavernous offices and the entire section on the fifth floor it's surprising there's any space left to study at all.
    • The level of noise. Does every single electronic device have to announce every single action to the world? The photocopiers are an absolute nightmare.
    • The decision to change the entire printing system 5 minutes before the start of term. By the way the printers in the Arts block have had an "Upgrading" sign on them since June which indicates the decision was made at that time but noone was arsed doing it until September.
    • It's a recession everywhere except in UCD. To be fair the SU shop is mostly cheap enough.
    • Rubbish on tables. I mean really. The same students talking about "the oppression of the masses by the class system man" are the same ones that expect someone else to clean up after them.
    • The entire campus seems to have been built before they discovered this "drainage" thing. Don't you love the tilting paving slabs that shoot muddy water up your leg?
    • Health sciences library. Oh yeah, a wooden floor in a massive echo chamber. That was a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

Or dip his hand in water? Or fart beside his head. Or sit on him. Ah... the possibilities. Yeah, confrontation is hard. Irish people don't do it too well unless they're scangers or been at UCD too long. Americans on the other hand. "HEY BUDDY! IS THIS SEAT TAKEN!"...

carveone wrote: »
    Or dip his hand in water? Or fart beside his head. Or sit on him. Ah... the possibilities. Yeah, confrontation is hard. Irish people don't do it too well unless they're scangers or been at UCD too long. Americans on the other hand. "HEY BUDDY! IS THIS SEAT TAKEN!"...

XD so true. I admire the yanks for that :P They've got balls, and whether it comes from tactlessness or confidence, kudos to them!

But in fairness, with the amount of secluded couches on campus, surely he could have a kip somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Costs over 9euro in Java (old Arts cafe) for bottle of water, soup and a sandwich. That is outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

carveone wrote: »
    The librarians. I'm mystified as to what any of them above the ground floor actually do. Apart from slam doors and have a good pension. If you take the space taken up by their cavernous offices and the entire section on the fifth floor it's surprising there's any space left to study at all

Students with attitudes like this annoy me. Just because you may be uninformed as to what university librarians (or library assistants as most behind the issue desk on the ground floor will be)actually do, does not really give your rants any credence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Well people did have the option to get a new one for free, in fairness it was advertised. A friend of mine was shocked at the lack of a queue when he picked up his.

When and where was it advertised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

For the records, 37 posts before:

<quote>
    "This Guy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

People who photocopy chapters and CHAPTERS AND CHAPTERS of books!!

Steam and PSN is blocked in campus. I know it's a university, but I have to live here too!

Food in the restaurant that's more texture than taste.

Library turnstiles that only work half the time and books not being where they should be.

That 'windows is starting' sound that comes on whenever someone turns on their laptop in the library.

Some lads were on facebook and having the craic in a full computer room in Daedalus with a queue of people waiting at the door. A woman walked over and gave out sh*t to them for 'f*cking around when there's people with work to do'.

They left very quickly and she got her computer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Nothing really annoys me, but some things are just stupid or inconvenient.
    In random order:
    • UCD computers: you cannot log off/shud down computer by pressing Alt + F4.
    • Printing: My print job disappeared after 1 hour. WTF? Also why don't .pdf appear in print queue after you select them for printing. Last time it took 10 min to appear.
    • Annoying people who trek to Conway who are not even in Conway. Stay in your building.
    • Is the construction site in front science hub going to be there for eternity?
    • Sports centre staff need to be intrduced to detergents, soap, and water to wash the floor. Guess what? Dusting it off does not make the floor any cleaner.
    • Food places - Fresca, etc. When?
    Another thing that made me laugh, was three girls who went to administration in Conway because they wanted to sit on a sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The communist architecture in UCD seems to give it more of a second world feel.

Window 7 doesn't seem to be too compatible with UCD Connect.

And where're Elements & Starbucks gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

The fact that you've to login to the suas pc's. Then into UCDconnect. Then into SISweb.

The communist architecture in UCD seems to give it more of a second world feel.

I think it was you who told me 2nd year labs are disgusting. THEY ARE.

Didn't they say the new student centre was gonna open this september? Still being built.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

The fact that Blackboard opens in a new window and refuses to open in a new tab despite my browser's settings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hate when I send something to the printer on a SUAS computer, log out, walk over to the printer, log into that, and find that I have no print jobs! Have to go back to another computer or just throw in the towel.

Also the series of mini-sets of steps all over the campus!

Cyclists cycling through the packed pedestrian areas at inconsiderate speeds.

How a lot of the large lecture theatres still don't have the Wolfvision document cameras - much easier to use and look at than the acetate projectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Conor108 wrote: »
    I think it was you who told me 2nd year labs are disgusting. THEY ARE.

3rd year labs are great, so lackadaisy, or maybe that's just because I haven't done any work in them yet because I'm not arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ah I don't like the negativity in this thread. It's like a ranting & raving thread, if you're not with the poster then don't post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

People sneezing randomly in practicals/library: I really enjoy breathing in your airborne snot (!)

Little shards of glass where I'm cycling

Lecturers who are fundamentally bad at explaining things - and you know that if you ask for further explanation that they won't be able to understand why their description didn't suffice in the first place.

The urban myth about what college life is meant to be like (don't get me wrong - it's great, it just has very little little connection with the propaganda)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Lecturers who are fundamentally bad at explaining things - and you know that if you ask for further explanation that they won't be able to understand why their description didn't suffice in the first place.

As 'it's rough all over' counterpoints ;) :

Students who don't get it's not the lecturer/TA's job to teach the prereq material for a course.

Students who don't read their course materials/course notes or follow the step by step instructions we print off and give them.

Doing 50+ hours each term of compulsory unpaid TA hours as a Phd student.

Changes to required facilities that the staff/postgrads aren't told about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

UCD's new law school; that area has been cordoned off for a year and still no progress at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement